Something else that's been bothering me for a while: The shield blocking animation looks very stiff and unnatural. I know the animation is different depending on which direction the user is looking in when initiating, but I just don't think it looks good.
Thanks Callum, worth the extra week. Two things:
In my opinion the spectacle helm on the huskarl (from the class system blog) has far too large spectacles and looks silly. Is there other versions of that helmet with smaller spectacles or is that the only kind?
I would really like to see a system (like in some warband mods) for designing/customising your own banner in game, is that already implemented in game or planned?
I remember during Warband's beta test how challenging it was to balance factions. Every little change or tweak could allow for some unforeseen dominance of one faction over another despite perhaps being balanced with the rest. It was like trying to plug 6 holes in a boat with 5 fingers...and I was only a tester, I can only imagine what it was like for the dev's.
Amusing video, I felt was combat animations were just off the sweet spot in terms of speed. I'm not saying they need to be ninja quick, but man it was like they were underwater. I feel Warband had quicker combat.
In any case, falxmen are badass and yay for video!
Edit: another observation was that the Battanian Faifnuriuels or whatever the hell they are called, fafns - fufnirs - whatever, drew their arrows from the side (or behind?) when their quivers were behind their shoulders. Hey picking nits.
Wish you a good recovery, Callum. I have played warband multiplayer for about 2k hours so if you don't mind some judgement, here's mine:
1) Τhe game's speed feels strange. Movement and attacking looks like dancing around instead of fighting. Τhis might be because the animations themselves seem a bit strange and a bit robotic in my opinion and lacking that 'punch' that a warrior would have when fighting for his life.
2) The sound environment needs more and different sounds, in many cases the game feels very void regarding sound and empty, and then you hear 10 'UH AH!' in a row. It needs more variety and some battle class background noise which remains constant.
3) The combo system looks very good and if I understand correctly, it can trigger when you hit an enemy, allowing you to deal extra damage really quick.
4) Αrchery seems like a big issue. Not only they get the crosshair which is immensely unrealistic for a medieval game but it seems like shooting arrows is very arcade-like, which velocity playing a much less impact than warband. This is the impression I get from this video. If that's the case then I hope it gets looked at, because aim and shooting in a complex melee game should not be the most efficient of dealing damage, but should more of support and pressure. It almost feels like a different game at the moment, again from the video.
5) Removable or not from the hud, points should not be placed upon your character in any form or shape when we talk about a competitive game that timing and visibility has so much to do with the criteria of you winning a fight. Big no.
6) Regarding leg movement animations, there's a big desync on ground covering and actual feet moving animations. Some characters feel like they float, because they moonwalk with relatively slow movement on legs and cover distance fast, which looks like high ping. I imagine this is not the case in that video though.
7) Classes seem, still, underwhelming. This is something I would need to test, but nothing was memorable regarding characters and playstyles in that video. It could be the nature of everyone being relatively new to the game, but still.
About the info popping up on the player, why is that even there? The top right shows a killfeed and the bottom left has the damage info. It's not very crucial info mid-fight so you can just use those sources for when you have a second to spare and care enough.
Looks like there's a little bit left to do in terms of visual, audio and balancing polish but the gameplay looks unmistakably M & B and absurdly fun. A few players have mentioned the slowed combat speed looking funky, it looks strange to me after Warband as well but won't take long to get used to.
This gamemode in action looks like it could be immensely fun which I'm surprised for. I was expecting to only look forward to the bigger size multiplayer fights but Skirmish looks incredibly involved and engaging as well. Teamwork, coordination and tactics will be key!
Is there still a crouch mechanic? I feel like it'd be very useful against projectile fire with a smaller shield. You are a dastardly shot with the bow as well! The takedown on the horse charging straight at you was pretty poetic.
Looking great team, good to see you're better Callum
Great gameplay video thanks Callum also get well soon !
1- When arrows hit somewhere the amount of dust that raises is unbelievably too much. Hopefully TW will reduce it.
2- I saw Tercio and Efe Karacar in chat but they werent in the playerlist. How did that happen ? Did they quit after the previous game ? Then why did their sentences remain to the next game ?
3- Again when arrows hit someone it would be good to see some blood pour or sth. It is good for the sword slashes&stabs but I didnt see any blood for arrow shots.
4- I second 578 about the weird pace in combat. Also yes like he said arrows seem to get effected less by velocity(maybe this was because you were playing probably as on of the best archer classes in the game) crosshair did not open after holding the arrow too long(again maybe its due to the professionalism of Fian archers)
5- Also the breaking of shields were very bad in my opinion. They just puffed. In warband it was better. The broken shield fell to the ground looking mostly intact but still unuseable. Would have been a lot better with a more realistic sound and a shattered shield falling onto the ground. Also it broke too quick in my opinion. I think swords should have tough time breaking shields.
Note: Sorry Callum but I laughed so hard when at the very beginning you got lanced while doing that chicken dance with your teammates LMAO !
Hopefully we will receive a piece of this beta cake sometime as well !
Edit: 6- Some headshots look not so headshots. Maybe hitboxes need a bit more work ?
Edit 2: 7- Infantry units go into each other a lot.
The game looks really really fun to play, graphics are very good in my opinion, and the slow paced combat is a very welcome addition for me!
That being said, to the nitpicking:
1) sound is a bit underwhelming;
2) the battanian heavy armor looks a bit flat and uninspired;
3) clipping everywhere ranging from equipment to dead bodies;
4) shield animations are very stiff and look quite robotic.
On a side note, the game look and feel arcadey, and this is okay IMHO. I can't imagine this game being so serious and realistic like some people here seem to want it to be.