Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Users who are viewing this thread

Archonsod said:
Except both the previous games had a regenerating health augmentation IIRC.
Which took a valuable aug slot and wasted a pretty bit of your energy supply each time.

Archonsod said:
Since when did aesthetics determine the level of technological advancement? For all we know Navarre's eyes allow her to see through time while Alex's implants are little more than a glorified mobile phone.
True dat.
Though she probably would have noticed that lam I set her on the 747 if that was the case :razz:
And I'm kind of getting the feeling the DX1 mechs would not pick their augs if there were more...visually appealing alternatives.
Except Gunther. The darn German would probably be nuts for efficiency. At least till the Dentons show up.

Archonsod said:
Omeene said:
  a controversial departure from previous titles in the series,
Except both the previous games had a regenerating health augmentation IIRC.

Austupaio said:
Read : Were lazy and regenerating health is easier.
No, read : Square Enix would prefer to make another ****ty movie rather than a semi decent game.

Yeah but the health aug were optional and you gained them in the game.  The controversial departure is that the health reg is now forced upon the player.  No other options, no health aug.  And I do believe Square Enix is only doing  the cut scenes.
Edit: Bloody Hyperion beat me to it

Hyperion said:
Which took a valuable aug slot and wasted a pretty bit of your energy supply each time.
Valuable? IIRC there was bugger all else worth putting in there. Although to be honest the same applied to most of the mod slots.
And I'm kind of getting the feeling the DX1 mechs would not pick their augs if there were more...visually appealing alternatives.
Presumably there isn't. Unless you want to go back to obsolete tech. Although that presumes they were voluntary in the first place.

Omeene said:
  The controversial departure is that the health reg is now forced upon the player.
A free aug! zomg controversy!
And I do believe Square Enix is only doing  the cut scenes.
That was the point ...

Omeene said:
Dev Reason why no medkits:  a controversial departure from previous titles in the series, Deus Ex: Human Revolution will use a regenerating health model. This change was made because the developers didn't want players to get into a situation where they were unable to progress due to low health, and would be forced to "scrounge for med packs."They see this scrounging behavior as breaking the flow of the game when one retreats to search the entire level for medical supplies. They believe their regenerating health model will still encourage tactical and strategy forming retreats, but not to the extent where the tension and flow of the game is disrupted.
So instead of breaking the flow by searching for supplies and taking measures to not get shot, they decide to break the flow by having the player hide under a table every 5 seconds to lick his wounds?

Gobblecoque said:
Omeene said:
Dev Reason why no medkits:  a controversial departure from previous titles in the series, Deus Ex: Human Revolution will use a regenerating health model. This change was made because the developers didn't want players to get into a situation where they were unable to progress due to low health, and would be forced to "scrounge for med packs."They see this scrounging behavior as breaking the flow of the game when one retreats to search the entire level for medical supplies. They believe their regenerating health model will still encourage tactical and strategy forming retreats, but not to the extent where the tension and flow of the game is disrupted.
So instead of breaking the flow by searching for supplies and taking measures to not get shot, they decide to break the flow by having the player hide under a table every 5 seconds to lick his wounds?

You mean hide behind a cover when you're shot? Sounds pretty logical to me.

Radalan said:
Gobblecoque said:
Omeene said:

I always thought it was logical to hide behind cover before you got shot, not afterwards.

Omeene said:
Radalan said:
Gobblecoque said:
Omeene said:

I always thought it was logical to hide behind cover before you got shot, not afterwards.

I always thought people wanted to avoid taking any damage in gunfights so that they would be able to continue the mission, as opposed to not carrying how many bullets they have in them as long as they avoid dying. :razz:

People are getting way too pessimistic here, we won't know for sure how it will be and how the changes will play out until it's released.

Eh, when I hear a hell of a lot of promises I'm naturally pessimistic because this is marketing.
And who does marketing does also market analysis (well, if 90% of people want the story written by Dan Brown it's still not a work of art).
And budget... on the last two maps...

Well, we'll of course see what becomes of it and if they manage but by and large I'd say to many promises -> fail.

doomsayer said:
Eh, when I hear a hell of a lot of promises I'm naturally pessimistic because this is marketing.

The real problem here is that the promises themselves are already pretty bad, if there's any degree of truth in that preview article.

Well, just because there's changes, doesn't mean they HAVE to be bad.
It can be for the better, it could turn out really great in the big picture.

Back
Top Bottom