SP - General Design of changing formation size

Users who are viewing this thread

chillboy

Regular
The current design doesn't make any sense like at ALL.

It requires you to first pick a formation, then presses F1 and hold LMB and drag the flag around to change the formation size,

1. It never gives you the formation size you want:
I've tested just now on both beta branch(1.5.10) and 1.5.9, with circle formation, when you drag your mouse to make the circle formation
a certain size you want, on releasing your LMB the formation size will actually be enlarged somehow, and 99% of the time you're getting the
wrong formation size calculated by the algorithm, from what I've tested, it always gets either really large or really small, the formation size you're seeing when holding your LMB is almost NEVER accurate, then what's the point of previewing the size if the size is never accurately reflecting the actual size?

2. Current design makes it way too hard to use:
Why on earth would the design be 'drag your mouse around to increase/decrease the size of formation? Which direction do you go to increase or decrease the size of it? You have no idea, the only way to figure it out is literally spamming dragging your mouse around and by the time you have the correct formation size you want, enemy troops are like 5 feet away.

3. Even after a lot of practice, it may still screw up easily:
With the current design, you're forced to drag your mouse around to change the formation size, note that when you're done changing the size and release the holding, you're actually commanding your troops to move to that position(remember that you're dragging and moving your mouse), IDEALLY, you don't want your troops to be like 200 feet away from you standing at a random position caused by dragging your mouse around initially, SO you'll have to issue another moving command to move your troop to your desired position. Overall this design makes this easy thing to be very messy and it introduces redundant steps that need to be done by the player, which is kind of a pain.

My suggestion:
1. Simply add one feature to it, after the player picks a formation and holds the LMB, allow players to scroll the mouse wheel to change the formation size, hence the formation size changing will happen in-place.
2. Please test thoroughly(handles the edge cases where the troops might be against wall/cliff/barricades/other troops) to make sure the preview of the formation size will be actually the formation size when it applies(i.e. after you release LMB) instead of some randomly enlarged size.

1. It never gives you the formation size you want:
I've tested just now on both beta branch(1.5.10) and 1.5.9, with circle formation, when you drag your mouse to make the circle formation
a certain size you want, on releasing your LMB the formation size will actually be enlarged somehow, and 99% of the time you're getting the
wrong formation size calculated by the algorithm, from what I've tested, it always gets either really large or really small, the formation size you're seeing when holding your LMB is almost NEVER accurate, then what's the point of previewing the size if the size is never accurately reflecting the actual size?
We'll investigate this issue.
2. Current design makes it way too hard to use:
Why on earth would the design be 'drag your mouse around to increase/decrease the size of formation? Which direction do you go to increase or decrease the size of it? You have no idea, the only way to figure it out is literally spamming dragging your mouse around and by the time you have the correct formation size you want, enemy troops are like 5 feet away.
First click is always top left and release is always bottom right. This behaviour can be observed in other games as well. Personally, I prefer this type of formation selection, gives me total control and freedom over the formation shape and size. Do you still feel your suggestion would make this system better after testing it out as described?

Back
Top Bottom