Denmark-Norway and Sweden

Users who are viewing this thread

Actually, I don't know if it's of any interest to you, but this guy has converted the whole French faction of NW into Denmark with this pack. It was originally only for use in an old Danish NW regiment, DDA, but it's been leaked a long time ago - and DDA is no more - so I figured it might be useful for you, for inspiration if nothing else. You could try contacting him, he spent a lot of time getting it right and I'm sure he can point you in the direction of some sources on Danish Napoleonic Era uniforms.

herum2.png

herreborg1.png

indmarch1.png

indmarch2.png

Hi all,

if the mod starts in 1809(1805 would be better...) Sweden would need TWO sets of uniforms. The older from the times of Gustaf III and the new one adopted stepwise during late Napoleonic period. BTW, they were used in parallel making dev work very rewarding I think...
Besides, the older has a definitely unique national style and should be much easier to do if to be done from scratch as it was quite simple yet elegant.

Rgds, Oldtimer

Dansk viking said:
Actually, I don't know if it's of any interest to you, but this guy has converted the whole French faction of NW into Denmark with this pack. It was originally only for use in an old Danish NW regiment, DDA, but it's been leaked a long time ago - and DDA is no more - so I figured it might be useful for you, for inspiration if nothing else. You could try contacting him, he spent a lot of time getting it right and I'm sure he can point you in the direction of some sources on Danish Napoleonic Era uniforms.

herum2.png

herreborg1.png

indmarch1.png

indmarch2.png
Nice find there, when enough time passes reskins like these are a gem.

Question a bit off topic:
Which front, Scandinavia or Liberia, is widely recognized for being more historically important to the Napoleonic Wars?

And Finland/Russia
Fighting with Russia close to home is probably pretty important even if were were but a shell of what we were in the great northern war.

True, Sweden was really weak at this time unfortunately. Sweden was one of the strongest nations in Europe after the thirty years war. But after the Great northern war, Sweden got weak due to Russia getting modernised and after Poltava everything went downhill for us Swedes.

Bluehawk said:
The Sekban-i-Cedid were massacred in 1808 and the reforming Grand Vizier, Alemdar Mustafa Pasha, was attacked in his mansion by dissenting jannisaries, forcing him to blow himself and his house up with explosives. Guy knew how to exit the stage. The sultan wouldn't move against them again until 1826.

Actually I shouldn't overstate the poor performance of the Ottomans too much. 1809 saw the stout defense of Giurgiu, Braila, and Klavovo against Russian asssaults under Field-Marshal Prozorovskiy, whose whole command from April to August was ineffectual, and even after Bagration took Macin and Girsov, smashed Husrev Mehmet Pasha's force at Rassevat and seized Ismail, and then Langeron defeated Bosnak Agha at Frasin - it was no decisive victory like Obilesti had been - and when the siege of Silistra dragged on, the Grand Vizier arrived with a relief force and dug in in the town of Tataritsa, threatening the besiegers. When Bagration gave battle and failed to break them, the bloody stalemate put the Russian force in a precarious position and the siege of Silistra was abandoned. By then winter was coming, all the countryside had been picked clean of fodder, disease was ravaging both armies, and the campaign ended. The Ottomans still held the southern bank of the Danube, the Russian still held the northern bank, neither side would agree to the others' demands for peace - another year was squandered. The Turks had learned not to give the Russians the field battle they wanted, and used the weather and their strong walls to sap the strength of their enemy. Bloody assaults on castles is something Warband actually does well.

I can't imagine Finland being added to the map without Åbo. It was the seat of power for both the Swedish and Russian governments (after the brief tenure of Sprengtporten at Tavastehus), and the main staging area for Bagration's corps holding the Åland islands (before his appointment to Wallachia, obviously). Although this map from 1808 showing "Annexed Finland" puts Abo and Vaasa on equal footing, like provincial capitals, and I can't elaborate on that at the moment.
32.Finlyandia.jpg
The Russians are not a prime example of the Ottomans power at the time. There is a reason they were the last formal "Empire" to grace the face of the Earth. I cannot provide you with a "prime" example of the Ottomans and their power for the period because I admit I am more ignorant of their history than I should be as a lover of history. But what I can tell you is that even though this period is long before the first communist regimes in the motherland even under the Czardom the Russians knew they had more than enough men to take more risks and willingly go forth with foolish assaults than any other force at the time. Granted not as populated as 1900-1941 and forward Russia, they still had a vast amount of land dotted with villages and cities to draw troops from giving them the "Quantity has a quality all it's own." Mentality well before communism and Lenin and Stalin were ever even a thought in  their mothers minds.

masterborn12 said:
True, Sweden was really weak at this time unfortunately. Sweden was one of the strongest nations in Europe after the thirty years war. But after the Great northern war, Sweden got weak due to Russia getting modernised and after Poltava everything went downhill for us Swedes.
Imperialist alert.  :razz:

We still had Finland and Swedish Pommerania. I'd call that pretty ok after all.

sw1815.gif

Sidenote : Blücher was born in Swedish Pommerania and served in the Swedish hussars. He was captured by Prussians in the Seven-Years War.

Bluehawk said:
I can't imagine Finland being added to the map without Åbo. It was the seat of power for both the Swedish and Russian governments (after the brief tenure of Sprengtporten at Tavastehus), and the main staging area for Bagration's corps holding the Åland islands (before his appointment to Wallachia, obviously). Although this map from 1808 showing "Annexed Finland" puts Abo and Vaasa on equal footing, like provincial capitals, and I can't elaborate on that at the moment.
32.Finlyandia.jpg
Speaking of Finland, I wonder if Docm will name the Finnish settlements in Russian or Finnish. I hope he won't name them in Swedish.

Maybe he'll mix it up. Example : Pohjanmaa will be named Österbotten.

Having the settlements in Finland (as in the part of Finaland known as Finland, where Åbo/Turku is) be Swedish could make sense as you have a lot of Swedes there at that point in time and up to this day.

Captured Joe said:
Oldtimer said:
Besides, the older has a definitely unique national style and should be much easier to do if to be done from scratch as it was quite simple yet elegant.
Not so unique seeing as the Württembergers had the same style uniforms at that time.

Hi,

well, I`m very curious as to why more nations didn`t show Wuerttembergian good taste and sense by copying Sweden.

Rgds, Oldtimer

SBolshevik said:
Having the settlements in Finland (as in the part of Finaland known as Finland, where Åbo/Turku is) be Swedish could make sense as you have a lot of Swedes there at that point in time and up to this day.
Not certainly "a lot", really, especially not "up to this day". And hell, there has always been more Finns there than Swedes.
Also, finlandssvenksar are actually Finns, they just happen to speak the wrong language  :razz:

Back
Top Bottom