MP Delay/stun when attempting to swap weapon upon being hit

Users who are viewing this thread

This is one of the topics that was discussed during the beta also, and I still believe it to be a serious issue affecting a part of multiplayer combat. I never understood exactly why this stun or delay upon being hit exists but I don't see how it adds anything to gameplay itself. Apart from it destroying the flow of combat and bringing annoyance at the lack of control over the character, it also punishes the player too much.

For example, if the player in question plays an archer and he is being approached by an infantry and that player doesn't put away his bow to draw his melee weapon, that is a mistake he commits and thus is punished for it by being hit. However, at the moment, the player is at risk of paying twice for one mistake, which is not really something that is welcoming to newer players nor to veterans of the game. Or we have the case of being ganged on by two players who are both hitting in succession and giving the player no chance to defend or respond.

It's simply an arbitrary stun that has no real reason behind it, in my opinion.

This is one of the topics that was discussed during the beta also, and I still believe it to be a serious issue affecting a part of multiplayer combat. I never understood exactly why this stun or delay upon being hit exists but I don't see how it adds anything to gameplay itself. Apart from it destroying the flow of combat and bringing annoyance at the lack of control over the character, it also punishes the player too much.

For example, if the player in question plays an archer and he is being approached by an infantry and that player doesn't put away his bow to draw his melee weapon, that is a mistake he commits and thus is punished for it by being hit. However, at the moment, the player is at risk of paying twice for one mistake, which is not really something that is welcoming to newer players nor to veterans of the game. Or we have the case of being ganged on by two players who are both hitting in succession and giving the player no chance to defend or respond.

It's simply an arbitrary stun that has no real reason behind it, in my opinion.

I mean, if someone ran you through or slashed you full on with a sharp weighted weapon, you'd be in for a shock. I do understand the psychology behind (especially as an archer) feeling as if it's being punished twice, but that's how it is for everyone...it's not an archer specific occurrence. It's really just one dragged out punishment for the lack of awareness and not swapping at an appropriate time; rather opting to edge out that last close range cheese shot and failing to drop your opponent.

I mean, if someone ran you through or slashed you full on with a sharp weighted weapon, you'd be in for a shock. I do understand the psychology behind (especially as an archer) feeling as if it's being punished twice, but that's how it is for everyone...it's not an archer specific occurrence. It's really just one dragged out punishment for the lack of awareness and not swapping at an appropriate time; rather opting to edge out that last close range cheese shot and failing to drop your opponent.

While I understand it makes sense from a realistic point of view, the gameplay is much different. The archer example was simply that - an example. The problem with this stun is that it affects every class, not just archers. I don't think it should be a dragged-out punishment method, it limits some options in gameplay, as you say, for example, attempting a last shot and dropping your opponent. It's rather that it can punish players without much game sense too harshly, or lowering the chance of succeeding in a 1v2 arbitrarily, or even simply being able to respond quick enough by attempting to pull out your weapon only to be stopped by a game mechanic. A stun like this shouldn't have such a great say in whether you come out of the incident blackbarred or not.

Worse than the delay is the confusion of trying to figure out which weapon you have out after getting hit.

That's actually also a good argument I didn't think of. Since it's no longer a possibility to assign weapons to what slots you want, this is, in fact, also multiplying the issue.

Back
Top Bottom