MP Delay on release of attacks

Users who are viewing this thread

I think it’s great getting new player feedback! And yeah it’s not based on warband, combat just feels unresponsive and floaty!

Cool thanks. I love this type of game, the skill based slasher or whatever the genre has been called. Been playing it forever even though I'm bad at it. I particularly like M&B because of the single player, and bannerlord's single player despite being EA and having several issues is still amazing.

But whatever the devs do with multiplayer, whether they listen to the community or go their own way, yeah it's all above my pay grade so to speak. I'd hop on multiplayer from time to time for some "dumb fun" in a skirmish because I love this type of game. But I simply won't put up with delayed responsiveness. It feels like playing in 5 frames. I can't stand it lol.

There's other games I play where I get invested in and what not, so I understand how important the balancing of multiplayer can be to those who love it. I hope ya'll get the game to fit your vision of it and that the devs listen well enough.

Cool thanks. I love this type of game, the skill based slasher or whatever the genre has been called. Been playing it forever even though I'm bad at it. I particularly like M&B because of the single player, and bannerlord's single player despite being EA and having several issues is still amazing.

But whatever the devs do with multiplayer, whether they listen to the community or go their own way, yeah it's all above my pay grade so to speak. I'd hop on multiplayer from time to time for some "dumb fun" in a skirmish because I love this type of game. But I simply won't put up with delayed responsiveness. It feels like playing in 5 frames. I can't stand it lol.

There's other games I play where I get invested in and what not, so I understand how important the balancing of multiplayer can be to those who love it. I hope ya'll get the game to fit your vision of it and that the devs listen well enough.
I think it’s important to note that it’s not just the 8000 hour Battle of Bucharest “I have a pink reticle” type of guy who doesn’t like the changes. I think a lot of new players and casual warband players don’t like it so it’s good for people like your feedback Imo ?

Last edited:
Speaking to new players in the Discord (text or voice) a lot of them say that the combat feels very different coming from singleplayer.

I know that late-game proficiency is a factor in that, but I noticed myself immediately that combat in SP felt great.

A side note is that a lot are asking for tips and there are no duel or private servers to show them - I feel this is important.

Stabbing is more or less the only way to deal bearable damage on armoured opponents if you have a sword, but the delay on stabs and their narrow hitbox makes them a risky attack to use. I feel like swords in general are a bit underpowered.

Speaking to new players in the Discord (text or voice) a lot of them say that the combat feels very different coming from singleplayer.

I know that late-game proficiency is a factor in that, but I noticed myself immediately that combat in SP felt great.

A side note is that a lot are asking for tips and there are no duel or private servers to show them - I feel this is important.

Yeah prefer how SP feels too, felt a solid difference in the first battle before any mp. I thought it could be because of the northern tapered sword you start with, since it's a fast sword, but nah it does feel solid there overall.

I already explained this in multiple threads multiple times. The "delay" originates from your ping. Because BL uses authoritative server design where all commands first get send to the server, executed there and the result of that is being sent back to you, on bad connections (or even you can feel it sometimes with a ping of 20 in high speed action related games/ situations) there can be what feels like a delay. The massive advantage: you'll never see cheats like in GTA5 where suddenly flying sourcers follow/attack you, speedhax are impossible and other ways of cheating enormously challenging. That's because the server sanctions everything first before it gets transferred to other clients. Take it from me, I implemented networking systems for games - BL's netcode is quite impressive and if you have a better connection there's no difference between SP and MP whatsoever in terms of combat "feel"

Would make sense, I've noticed that having a low ping is even more vital in BL compared to Warband (e.g., East Coast 20 ping severs or less are great for me right now).

Edit: Lol, or maybe not.

Haven't noticed any. Then why do you post this under MP subforum if it's a general feat?
Because attack delay doesn't matter in singleplayer, and because singleplayer folks won't care.
I'm posting this in the MP board because this is where those who care about the combat will be.
You have noticed delays, since the first video I've linked is essentially singleplayer, and there clearly is a delay at the start of every attack.

You have noticed delays, since the first video I've linked is essentially singleplayer, and there clearly is a delay at the start of every attack.

Sorry didn't watch it because I answered to threads like this before and thought of assumed what you were getting at. If there's delay then I've gotten used to it as I played the beta for months. I care for combat a lot, be it MP or SP. And I can say no idea whether you played Warband or not but BL is a massive upgrade as 95% of slash and feint spamming got eliminated.

The slash and feint spamming was what let us get over each other's superhuman blocking, instead they implemented all these stupid ****ing delays that just make it feel like you're fighting against your character instead of the other person, which turns the combat into a boring hit - block - hit rythm and christ if I don't already want to just drop dead when it gets into that.

The slash and feint spamming was what let us get over each other's superhuman blocking, instead they implemented all these stupid ****ing delays that just make it feel like you're fighting against your character instead of the other person, which turns the combat into a boring hit - block - hit rythm and christ if I don't already want to just drop dead when it gets into that.

Yea well, it was unapproachable for newbies which made the MP a toxic place and I tried it, also learned the WB system, I didn't like it. 3-7 feint spams per second was high-stress with limited fun. If you like it hop on Warband with some like-minded friends.

Yea well, it was unapproachable for newbies which made the MP a toxic place and I tried it, also learned the WB system, I didn't like it. 3-7 feint spams per second was high-stress with limited fun. If you like it hop on Warband with some like-minded friends.
That wasn't the problem with the combat system. Warband just needed a proper matchmaking system so you wouldn't play with 4k hours+ guys. I started playing in 2010 and it was a hell of fun to learn MP combat. In a few months with this system the infantry combat will be just hit&block.

Warband was completely approachable to newbies, they just had to spend some time learning and training the combat. No one, who got at least to the mediocre level of combat likes the combat in Bannerlord, there are no skill-based mechanics that allow you to get an edge in a fight and win it, no space for clutches either - once you fight 2 or more mediocre enemies, you have to weave and jump like mad to at least hit some of them a few times before they rape you.

If you like it hop on Warband with some like-minded friends.

Ah yes that old chestnut. You realise that Warband isn't a bastion of perfection either? We have a chance here to make Bannerlord that, but if people are gonna fight any attempt to at least try something out...

One of my favourite ways to fight in Warband was slow and steady by holding attacks just a little to throw peoples rythms off, it worked damn well for those twitchy types who had to constantly slam the LMB the moment a swing wasn't coming to them. I cannot fight like this in Bannerlord anymore because of the larger extra delay on held swings that somehow means that my swing that is ALREADY PRIMED AND READY is beaten in speed by someone tapping LMB. How is that anything close to wanting feint spam back?

One of my favourite ways to fight in Warband was slow and steady by holding attacks just a little to throw peoples rythms off, it worked damn well for those twitchy types who had to constantly slam the LMB the moment a swing wasn't coming to them. I cannot fight like this in Bannerlord anymore because of the larger extra delay on held swings that somehow means that my swing that is ALREADY PRIMED AND READY is beaten in speed by someone tapping LMB. How is that anything close to wanting feint spam back?

This.

Holds were such a key part of Warband's combat system. Often times fights between skilled players came down to distance, timing, and rhythm, rather than who can feint the fastest. They were also a way to counter someone looking to chamber (not that chambers are a thing in Bannerlord). Now with the delays on holds (no pun intended) the timing is all screwed up if you want to employ them effectively.

****ing bumping this. This delay is completely unreasonable and actually punishes skillful, and thoughtful gameplay. Why even hold an attack if the risk-reward is so ****ed? Why even try to punish a mistimed block by holding an attack? They'll just react and block. It's not even that good for SP players either - the bots never hold an attack but the players do so frequently.

Back
Top Bottom