Dedicated servers

Users who are viewing this thread

If there's no Dedicated server I imagine we won't even have the map editor available then.

No tool to create content and support the community will be available for ... well months.

It's a huge mistake that Taleworlds makes because if we believe Callum dedicated servers will not appear before the end of the EA ( 1 year ). And it is a basic feature! So for mods and maps support, we can still wait a long time.

If the community really has to wait 8 ~ 10 months to have dedicated servers, the game will be deserted and there will be no more hype ...

It smells really bad for the future of the game :/

Swap out the game if you want to. The point wasn't whether the games were released as EA or not, but focused on the hype and promises built around the releases. We've known that Bannerlord will be released as EA, but it wasn't until recently we knew exactly how much will be lacking. I thought at most that all features would be in-game, but it'd be bugs or not optimized. So sure, it might've been a salty comparison. Does ''Early Access'' make a game immune to criticism? Apparently, as the main counter-argument is to tell people to wait with purchase, or that people are entitled for wondering why some basic things aren't provided at launch. That wouldn't be my response to criticism. It would have an explanation and the only one here able to give an explanation is TaleWorlds, even if some here are quick to defend an issue that might not lie as close to their hearts as it does others in this thread.
Interesting response. So you thought the game would be feature complete (and pretty close finished by the sound of it) despite the fact that the original announcement of the EA mentioned multiple missing features and predicted early access could take a year or more? We've known since day one the EA would be missing features. Missing features had its own section on the Steam page. The game is hyped you say? I mean, they're not aggressively advertising (per Callum, they don't want to over-hype an unfinished game) but I guess they've acquired a sizeable fan base over the years following the popularity of Warband (I mean, how dare they be so successful, right?).

Early Access doesn't mean criticism is off the table. You don't have to like how long this is taking or the decisions that have been made along the way. I certainly have some questions about TW's project management abilities myself. However, our ability to express our opinions does not preclude others from expressing their own feelings with regard to those opinions. Don't let that dissuade you from expressing your thoughts. I certainly won't let it dissuade me from disagreeing if I think you're being unreasonable.

Interesting response. So you thought the game would be feature complete (and pretty close finished by the sound of it) despite the fact that the original announcement of the EA mentioned multiple missing features and predicted early access could take a year or more? We've known since day one the EA would be missing features. Missing features had its own section on the Steam page. The game is hyped you say? I mean, they're not aggressively advertising (per Callum, they don't want to over-hype an unfinished game) but I guess they've acquired a sizeable fan base over the years following the popularity of Warband (I mean, how dare they be so successful, right?).
First mention of Early Access was early 2018. They started to explain what they meant in 2019. This year is 2020 and dev blogs started in 2013.
Are you sure that the Steam page said anything about missing content? I tend to remember it informing us about a lot of features now gone from the Steam page. There's an archived copy of what it actually said from 2017 until 2020 here. Feel free to compare it to the current one here. Still find it unreasonable for me to have been surprised that largely hyped features aren't playable yet and they aren't just talking about bugs anymore?

We have not disclosed a release date so far because it does not exist. We don’t work like that. We are not a company who sets a timeline to release a product and then works to meet that deadline. We are TaleWorlds Entertainment: we create games because we love making them, and we want them to be the best games that we can possibly make. We think that our fans don’t deserve less than our best efforts, our total commitment. We don’t believe in releasing a game before it is ready just because we might miss the hype.

“But all these companies give a release date – why don’t you?”
We respect every approach, of course; we are not saying that if a company announces a release date then they are not trying their best to develop a great game. It’s just that every company has a different philosophy and a different set of circumstances. For example, some companies have publishers, shareholders, investors and owners who press for a release date, even if it means cutting content from a game.

Having said all that, we understand that some of you might fear that we are abandoning the game or that we are stuck in development hell. We can assure you that that is not the case: we have of course made our share of mistakes and false starts which have added to development time, but not more than what could be expected from a project of this scale.

This is why we have not announced a release date, and why we won’t do it at Gamescom either. And these are the reasons why we think of it not as a sign of weakness, but of respect for our work and our community. We are working as hard as we can to develop the great game you are all waiting for, and our primary focus is the quality of the final product. We want Bannerlord to be the best game that TaleWorlds can create, and we won’t take any shortcuts to get there.

So, why the decision to launch in early access?

Well, for a game as huge as Bannerlord, we knew that at some point we would need to get a large pool of players in to play the game and find all of the strange and hidden bugs that are simply impossible for a team of our size to locate. The game has completely expanded in scope compared to anything we have released before, and not just in terms of map size and settlement counts. We are talking about the many new game features and mechanics, most of which are interconnected, meaning that any slight change in one can have an unexpected knock-on effect in another. We are keen to hear feedback from our players on these new features, as well as, the changes we have made to existing features. We want to work alongside our community to deliver a game that achieves our goals and vision while providing them with a unique and enjoyable experience that they can keep coming back to well into the future.

Roughly what percentage of single-player features and gameplay mechanics will be in-game upon early access release? Many of the blog posts make it seem as though it will be nearly feature complete, while some suggest otherwise.

Most of the basic features will be there and we can say that it will be possible to play a campaign from start to end with 100+ hours of gameplay. However, some features may be missing or turned off if they are not in the state that we would like to present yet. We encourage players who want a complete and fully polished experience to hold off on buying the game until full release.

I don't understand why people say things like "if it doesn't have X and Y in EA it ruins the future of the game". How? You either buy it in EA or you wait and buy it when it's finished or has whatever it was you wanted. You're not financing the completion of the game or subscribing to a service. You buy early for early play or buy later, or not at all if it's not what you want to play.

Hi,

First of all, let me introduce myself: I am Verdieb, leader of the 14eGaming, formerly known as the 14e Régiment d’Infanterie de Ligne on Napoleonic Wars.

We were very active mostly between 2011 and 2014 where the 14e forged it’s solid reputation, rewarding many years of major involvement. We loved this game so much.

After all that time, we put the game on standby, and evolved into a Gaming Community. We are so eager to return to Warband once more, with the future release of Bannerlord.

I wanted to take the time to write to you, today, to share my concerns about recent news. Concerns that, I do believe, will find echo in a majority of gamers.

As I understand, we won’t be able to host dedicated servers during Early Access, for at least several months.

You already have server files. They are currently running for the beta. My question is: why not sharing it, even if it is not polished?

We will not complain about crashes or bugs. That’s the price to pay when playing on an early release. Let’s be honest: Warband has always been a little bit buggy, and that’s part of it’s charm.

Anyway, by taking this decision, you are forbidding communities to train, play and organize their events together. It feels like you are keeping the communities away from your game right from the start, and for several months to come.

You must be fully aware that you need dedicated server to sell your game, and that we need dedicated server to enjoy it.

The Skirmish mode alone will not attract people enough. Why do we have the feeling that you are forgetting us?

I think, and I’m sure it is a vastly shared feeling among various clans and players, that you owe us a detailed explanation on this particular point.

Regards,

Verdieb – Leader of the 14eGaming
thanks for relocating my thread I guess but i think if you did read my thread then you know that I am dissappointed my the lack of servers to do events on, I even asked for community representation and it seems like the answer was no there as well

Go lookup battalion 1944...they also played the EA card...
When you release a game , you release it...
And if you "forget" something so important like dedicated servers in this day and age...wel sorry , but this foes not predict anything good!
Game devs say "sooon Tm" or hide behind EA to get more money...
My advise, release rentable servers and focus on the mp community, they will support this game untill the end.
Or dont do EA yet until mp is good to release...

First mention of Early Access was early 2018. They started to explain what they meant in 2019. This year is 2020 and dev blogs started in 2013.
Are you sure that the Steam page said anything about missing content? I tend to remember it informing us about a lot of features now gone from the Steam page. There's an archived copy of what it actually said from 2017 until 2020 here. Feel free to compare it to the current one here. Still find it unreasonable for me to have been surprised that largely hyped features aren't playable yet and they aren't just talking about bugs anymore?

We have not disclosed a release date so far because it does not exist. We don’t work like that. We are not a company who sets a timeline to release a product and then works to meet that deadline. We are TaleWorlds Entertainment: we create games because we love making them, and we want them to be the best games that we can possibly make. We think that our fans don’t deserve less than our best efforts, our total commitment. We don’t believe in releasing a game before it is ready just because we might miss the hype.

“But all these companies give a release date – why don’t you?”
We respect every approach, of course; we are not saying that if a company announces a release date then they are not trying their best to develop a great game. It’s just that every company has a different philosophy and a different set of circumstances. For example, some companies have publishers, shareholders, investors and owners who press for a release date, even if it means cutting content from a game.

Having said all that, we understand that some of you might fear that we are abandoning the game or that we are stuck in development hell. We can assure you that that is not the case: we have of course made our share of mistakes and false starts which have added to development time, but not more than what could be expected from a project of this scale.

This is why we have not announced a release date, and why we won’t do it at Gamescom either. And these are the reasons why we think of it not as a sign of weakness, but of respect for our work and our community. We are working as hard as we can to develop the great game you are all waiting for, and our primary focus is the quality of the final product. We want Bannerlord to be the best game that TaleWorlds can create, and we won’t take any shortcuts to get there.

So, why the decision to launch in early access?

Well, for a game as huge as Bannerlord, we knew that at some point we would need to get a large pool of players in to play the game and find all of the strange and hidden bugs that are simply impossible for a team of our size to locate. The game has completely expanded in scope compared to anything we have released before, and not just in terms of map size and settlement counts. We are talking about the many new game features and mechanics, most of which are interconnected, meaning that any slight change in one can have an unexpected knock-on effect in another. We are keen to hear feedback from our players on these new features, as well as, the changes we have made to existing features. We want to work alongside our community to deliver a game that achieves our goals and vision while providing them with a unique and enjoyable experience that they can keep coming back to well into the future.

Roughly what percentage of single-player features and gameplay mechanics will be in-game upon early access release? Many of the blog posts make it seem as though it will be nearly feature complete, while some suggest otherwise.

Most of the basic features will be there and we can say that it will be possible to play a campaign from start to end with 100+ hours of gameplay. However, some features may be missing or turned off if they are not in the state that we would like to present yet. We encourage players who want a complete and fully polished experience to hold off on buying the game until full release.

I noticed you omitted the question about dedicated servers from the September devblog. Would have thought that would have been relevant to the discussion.

So to recap what we've known since September, no dedicated servers at EA release and if you don't want to play an unfinished game, TW would encourage you to wait for the full release.

I noticed you omitted the question about dedicated servers from the September devblog. Would have thought that would have been relevant to the discussion.

So to recap what we've known since September, no dedicated servers at EA release and if you don't want to play an unfinished game, TW would encourage you to wait for the full release.
You omitted most of my questions/answers to your previous post. The devblog quotes were in relation to your question about me believing most stuff would be feature complete, and not solely targeted at the servers. Sorry if you felt mislead. Anyway, your question(s) in the previous post were:
1. So you thought the game would be feature complete (and pretty close finished by the sound of it) despite the fact that the original announcement of the EA mentioned multiple missing features and predicted early access could take a year or more? We've known since day one the EA would be missing features. Missing features had its own section on the Steam page. 2. The game is hyped you say? I mean, they're not aggressively advertising (per Callum, they don't want to over-hype an unfinished game) but I guess they've acquired a sizeable fan base over the years following the popularity of Warband (I mean, how dare they be so successful, right?).
1. Yes. TDLR: TW did inform us late about a lot of missing content. Most of the SP content missing was actually quietly published on the Steam page within the Early Access notice last week. Not to mention some cut content discreetly told in devblogs (such as castle-building) months back.
2. Yes. TLDR: Whether it's on purpose or not, or who's doing it; There's hype around the game. It's built upon expectations from devblogs, or just by participating in discussions on the forums/reddit/in-game.

Let me make a point since you wanted to focus on dedicated servers again; Aye, they stated that it might not be possible to host servers at the very beginning of Early Access. However, it's clear we're receiving a recent influx of communities, clans and regiments questioning that decision now due to the late info. Otherwise, it'd have made sense to have seen plenty of discussions about the topic between late 2013 - early 2019, but the discussion didn't really exist back then since no-one knew what was missing/or that stuff was even going to be missing.

The second point; It appears that some users has told me I'm entitled for questioning the (late) decision and/or told me to buy the game at a later date. Sure, there are some users here blowing the multi-player out of proportion and those may act entitled or childish. I'd not consider myself one of them though, as I have never stated I wouldn't buy the game just because the dedicated server files aren't available on the launch.

However, if we ignore their childish attempts at threats, as I stated earlier, there's still a bit of me that understands the frustration or surprise these players might feel over missing features which has been promoted historically until just recently. Would you feel better if I said that TaleWorlds are forgiven since they made one vague Early Access-announcement half a year ago which answered the question about dedicated servers in a sentence to then move on to talk about pommel-bashing, and they're then excused for the lack of content which was expected for three-four years?

Last edited:
Would you feel better if I said that TaleWorlds are forgiven since they made one vague Early Access-announcement half a year ago which answered the question about dedicated servers in a sentence to then move on to talk about pommel-bashing, and they're then excused for the lack of content which was expected for three-four years?
Not really. As I said earlier, you're welcome to your criticisms and while I might disagree with you on some points, I think you've made some fair ones. Your last few posts have certainly been more thoughtful than the one comparing Bannerlord to No Man's Sky.

Ok, i get it..
No rentable servers in EA period...wich takes around a year or more...
Single player is the big thing in this game.

I wanted to get my community into this game and i was going to promote this game to allotpf people in doing so.
I guess we will stick with current mp games , we a PBS are running...
When the game does get a good mp scene, maybe we will be back.Maybe because the game is then not so new anymore.
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom