Debating implementation of a Reaction/Like system

Users who are viewing this thread

Vader, kiss me where the skin turns pink, you worthless scum. But let me project a little. I'm against anything that lowers the boundaries for participation. We have plenty of mindless members who can barely speak as it is now. No need to encourage more.
How are you lowering the boundary of participation if you are introducing a system that will give voice to those who can't express themselves for many reasons. Anyone who says it lowers the boundary of participation should bring me a social study that says so, brought by professionals, if not its better for you to watch car speeding in highways

Came here from the locked thread on citadel.
I like the idea of a variety of icons to show you read the post. I didn't used to , but I've came around after a long time on other forums with that set up because it's nice you just mark that you agree, laughed, or whatever without having to make a post when I have nothing to say. Especially on more serious or official topics to not get so cluttered. I do not like downvote or any other demerit other mean girls shenanigans but a simple Disagree icon is okay.
If you do add something please, no pink hearts. I'm forced to use another forum for a beta and I really hate that it has a heart for the likes and...... it's just out of place. I just want people to know I read thier response, not that my friendship meter is filling up or anything. It'd be cool to have TW/M&B themed icons.

[Moving my post here from the locked thread]

It boggles my mind this is still not implemented when it should be clear to everyone that a simple "like" feature makes the whole forum experience a whole lot better.

It lets people express their agreement without making a separate post about it, which clutters threads absolutely unnecessarily.

I mean, what's the possible conceivable reason NOT to have it? People getting jelly about other people's "like currency" or some other idiocy? This makes me as mad as it's possible for a thing I barely use, which is still quite significant!

Jesus Christ, when I go back to this forum once in a while to glance through some threads, I just wanna be able to see the most useful replies without reading the whole damn thing.

Jesus Christ, when I go back to this forum once in a while to glance through some threads, I just wanna be able to see the most useful replies without reading the whole damn thing.
If you read the thread, the problem is that you'll see the most popular, not the most useful replies, and people will compete for attention instead of writing quality posts.
I still think it's worth it though, but the guys in charge here are very conservative and old and they dislike all inventions after the 50s.

If you read the thread, the problem is that you'll see the most popular, not the most useful replies, and people will compete for attention instead of writing quality posts.
I still think it's worth it though, but the guys in charge here are very conservative and old and they dislike all inventions after the 50s.
I think I've actually read this thread before but forgot about it later, this isn't my first time pondering why we still don't have it.

And yeah, these are valid points about popularity and competition, but here's the thing... The most popular posts are usually also the most useful! And even when they're not, I still wanna read it because obviously other people liked it.

So I agree, it's 100% worth it, the boomers around here need to lighten up. I mean I like the games and stuff, but let's make the forums better as well, u know.

This whole post could've been avoided if I could simply "like" yours!

The most popular posts are usually also the most useful! And even when they're not, I still wanna read it because obviously other people liked it.

This whole post could've been avoided if I could simply "like" yours!
Those are two very valid points.
I think the root of the problem is that the decision makers here don't much use social media and other platforms where the system is in place, unlike most people who are using it every day. Upvoting and downvoting stuff is the most efficient way of engaging with mass content.
There are many times I would like to show support for some well-written post by quickly upvoting it, but here I need to post stupid "+1" replies or shut up. I have nothing interesting to say, I just want to show support, admins! If you want forum users to engage, give them more ways to do it!

The most popular posts are usually also the most useful!
Given the kind of thing that becomes popular on social media, I am going to say that this is just your opinion and it's probably not very accurate. Posts that stir strong emotions are often popular. You can honestly see that in action even in this forum, where threads with a lot of activity have mostly posts where people are getting at each other's throat.

I don't see the value in a like system myself, and I don't see anything wrong with posting to express support. Chances are that you will explain why you express support, which definitely has more value than a like or dislike.

Given the kind of thing that becomes popular on social media, I am going to say that this is just your opinion and it's probably not very accurate. Posts that stir strong emotions are often popular. You can honestly see that in action even in this forum, where threads with a lot of activity have mostly posts where people are getting at each other's throat.

I don't see the value in a like system myself, and I don't see anything wrong with posting to express support. Chances are that you will explain why you express support, which definitely has more value than a like or dislike.

I agree.
in addition, 'like' systems always end up being misused. At least when poeple have to write something there is an addition to the discussion.

This reply was collapsed due to downvotes
This is why we need downvotes too! :smile:
I agree.
in addition, 'like' systems always end up being misused. At least when poeple have to write something there is an addition to the discussion.
MP forumites are toxic trolls who would misuse anything. The general population can be trusted to act more responsibly, just look at everyday SP posts.

MP forumites are toxic trolls who would misuse anything.
iu

Jk, please no generalisations good sir. 1% of us are kind and useful beings.

Given the kind of thing that becomes popular on social media, I am going to say that this is just your opinion and it's probably not very accurate.
How does that make sense though? If something is very popular, it by definition means a lot of people found it useful. Maybe just not you, and it's fine. But I don't think it's "just an opinion".
And then again, "social media" is a very broad term that covers a lot of areas of interests that you might just not share. It's absolutely not the same as this forum, built around a single theme and even divided into specific sections and threads. So chances are, a popular post in the "Bannerlord SP" section would become so precisely because people interested in SP found it useful in some way.

Posts that stir strong emotions are often popular.
I see nothing wrong with that either. If you stir strong positive emotions in me, then it must've been a great post. And if the emotions were negative, I just wouldn't "like" it, so nothing would change compared to now in that case.

I agree.
in addition, 'like' systems always end up being misused.
What's the harm? Who gets hurt?

How does that make sense though? If something is very popular, it by definition means a lot of people found it useful. Maybe just not you, and it's fine. But I don't think it's "just an opinion".
And then again, "social media" is a very broad term that covers a lot of areas of interests that you might just not share. It's absolutely not the same as this forum, built around a single theme and even divided into specific sections and threads. So chances are, a popular post in the "Bannerlord SP" section would become so precisely because people interested in SP found it useful in some way.

I see nothing wrong with that either. If you stir strong positive emotions in me, then it must've been a great post. And if the emotions were negative, I just wouldn't "like" it, so nothing would change compared to now in that case.

What's the harm? Who gets hurt?

Lots of likes involved in this, I promise.

It is of course an extreme case, and it wasn't just caused by "likes". You can have toxicity on a much smaller scale, it's still bad. I don't see the benefits of a like system outweighing the drawbacks for this forum.

I could of course just turn your own argument around and say that not having likes on this forum seems to be the popular opinion, therefore it's the way to go :smile:.

Lots of likes involved in this, I promise.

It is of course an extreme case, and it wasn't just caused by "likes". You can have toxicity on a much smaller scale, it's still bad. I don't see the benefits of a like system outweighing the drawbacks for this forum.

I could of course just turn your own argument around and say that not having likes on this forum seems to be the popular opinion, therefore it's the way to go :smile:.
On the other hand, look how the Taliban conquered Afghanistan WITHOUT a like/dislike system in place - this is what happens when the people can't express what they like or dislike, but are forced to write walls of text and most of the Taliban can't even read.

I think you never-likers are actually elitists who don't think the common forumite can make good decisions when upvoting posts for some reason. This forum is not your average social media where mobs rule and good content is buried under mindless memes. The average user here is much more knowledgeable about and committed to the subject under discussion, i.e. some unfinished game. The problem groups are new users posting "it's only EA" and disappearing and the aforementioned MP trolls.
So have a bit of trust in your fellow sufferer and let him express support for good posts without opening a poll each bloody time.

On the other hand, look how the Taliban conquered Afghanistan WITHOUT a like/dislike system in place - this is what happens when the people can't express what they like or dislike, but are forced to write walls of text and most of the Taliban can't even read.

I think you never-likers are actually elitists who don't think the common forumite can make good decisions when upvoting posts for some reason. This forum is not your average social media where mobs rule and good content is buried under mindless memes. The average user here is much more knowledgeable about and committed to the subject under discussion, i.e. some unfinished game. The problem groups are new users posting "it's only EA" and disappearing and the aforementioned MP trolls.
So have a bit of trust in your fellow sufferer and let him express support for good posts without opening a poll each bloody time.

Exactly how are people 'forced to write walls of text'? If the forum moderators visit users at home and stand over them with a whip I have yet to hear of it.

A like system is always unhelpful. I have not and I am not going to work out the numbers on it but my observation is that posts that are attacking someone usually garner a lot of 'likes'. The system is used by people who have nothing useful to add but want to vent their (generally unpleasant) feelings.
It is no coincidence that such systems are used in social media where the aim is to generate clicks and the more angry people are the better as anger is a click generator. Intentionally engineering a hostile environment is not going to help anyone on this forum.

If a post has genuinely helped someone that it is much more helpful to the community if that person posts about why and how it helped them, than simply 'liking' the post.

Ok, I got a question, and pardon me in advance, I'm but a simple Russian bloke from a village, who's very far from the high culture issues of toxicity, gender equality and general wokeness.

Let's say a "like" system would increase toxicity (I don't really think it would, but let's just assume). Well, so what? Like, literally, what's the deal with that? If it improves readability and general informativity of the forums, I'm fine with that. I don't come here for emotional comforting. Do you?

Ok, I got a question, and pardon me in advance, I'm but a simple Russian bloke from a village, who's very far from the high culture issues of toxicity, gender equality and general wokeness.

Let's say a "like" system would increase toxicity (I don't really think it would, but let's just assume). Well, so what? Like, literally, what's the deal with that? If it improves readability and general informativity of the forums, I'm fine with that. I don't come here for emotional comforting. Do you?

It depends what you think forums are for really.

|f you want every person that wants to to be able to come to the forum and express their opinion (in a polite and constructive manner) then you need to make the environment a inviting one for everyone.
If you only care about the teenage 'edgelords' being able to spout off and don't mind that it effectively excludes many other people then maintaining an inviting environment won't be important to you.

TW, presumably, at least want their forum to not actively dissuade people from buying the game (though before 2014 it didn't seem like it).

I don't think like systems improve readability. All it does is make it way more obvious when some opinion in a post is almost universally considered to be stupid (and if you can't determine this by reading then you are the stupid), and turn every discussion into a numbers game rather than a fair and rational debate a battle of humiliation and domination like they should be.

Personally I like toxic forums, they're fun to read. But I want the toxicity to be openly hostile in text form, not snide and lazy like a bunch of laugh reacts on a stupid post. It's extremely dissatisfying to see some heated argument get boiled down to literal numbers. It's like seeing a football match get decided on penalties. I want blood.

If a post has genuinely helped someone that it is much more helpful to the community if that person posts about why and how it helped them, than simply 'liking' the post.
This is a poor argument that keeps being repeated. I don't need to explain why I like something or agree with something, because my response could be so unsubstantial ("+1") that it borders on spam and clogs the forum.
Also, I'm sorry but you are very biased and can't post a balanced opinion that has universal validity. Your years of being exposed to MP trolls have left you scarred and disillusioned, distrusting that there is inherent goodness in a person. It's like asking a cop what he thinks of people in general and since he saw the worst the humanity has to offer, his views are negative and cynical. Please take time to recover before making broad judgements about what people are like. Good luck!
Personally I like toxic forums, they're fun to read. But I want the toxicity to be openly hostile in text form, not snide and lazy like a bunch of laugh reacts on a stupid post. It's extremely dissatisfying to see some heated argument get boiled down to literal numbers. It's like seeing a football match get decided on penalties. I want blood.
I agree, "why I'm being banned"/"plz unban" are some of the most fun threads if you like cringe humor. But toxic posts and people need to be separated from the rest of the forum and not allowed to take over. So passive aggression as expressed by downvotes is a reasonable measure to lower toxic posting in the civilized parts of the forum.

Back
Top Bottom