Debating implementation of a Reaction/Like system

Users who are viewing this thread

I hope there is not any serious consideration of a ‘dislike’ button, not only is it more of a tool for harassment it also emphasizes political polarisation. At the moment if someone posts something with which you disagree, you can either take the time to express your disagreement or you can ignore it. A dislike button allows people to contribute negativity and disapproval without contributing anything meaningful.

If a ‘like’ button is implemented I would suggest that anyone who ‘likes’ a rule breaking post is treated as if they had written the post themselves.

However I hope even a 'like' button is not implemented, I have been on forums previously that have tried it and removed it as it has a tendency to cause a decline in actual engagement and intelligent discourse
'Likes' tend to turn into a popularity contest of the people posting rather than the posts themselves.​
Some users enjoy the external validation they get form having ‘likes’ and make posts for the sole purpose of building their self-esteem.​
People who cannot be bothered to actually post usually cannot be bothered to read the discussion either.​
Having a ‘like’ button tends to move users to using the button rather than posting their arguments so discussions tended to turn very negative which made the forum more unpleasant overall.​

This is the equivalent of saying "guns don't kill people".

I know. Look, I get it. It’s nice to circlejerk reddit and the whole internet points and troll bot world we live in. I too reject the perception is reality notion. We still have the grapevine and pitchforks though. Mob mentality isn’t restricted to the internet, the internet amplifies it. For what it’s worth, I think generally people try to do the right thing, and right or wrong, when they don’t know any better, they look to what they believe most others are thinking.

Personally, I don't see the harm in having some sort of reaction system. The argument against it is... fallible. The point of a forum is to share ideas and opinions. The argument against the reactions are essentially stating that no one's opinion should matter if it is a simple one of agreeing or disagreeing, or if someone doesn't have the time to write out a well thought argument. +1 posts are against the rules. I don't think that is fair.

The same arguments can apply to similar posts just as well as reactions to them. If people see a bunch of people posting the same thing again and again, they may still be unlikely to counter argue because the masses seem to have another opinion. The difference is that you waste hours of your life seeing everyone's similar opinions posted again and again, if you actually care enough to pay attention. Because you end up with long threads like this, a majority of people do not read what anyone else said before saying almost exactly the same thing. The overall content of the forum and various threads then becomes rather dull, and the value of each individual post becomes less.

Last edited:
This has been a long read now. Both sides have some good arguments and emotional points. At the end I am still not sure about how to think about a reaction system at the forum here. Currently it is active at the media section (which is barely getting used) and the group section (can't tell how many of you roam around there) and I am still in a conflict with myself to see how useful it would be at other parts of the forum. Some sections like the suggestion boards could profite by it as Limbojack mentioned in the OP of this thread.
It would be helpful to see what level of player support certain ideas and suggestions have.
Drawback of that could be that people could be disappointed when developers ignore the most upvoted suggestions and ideas since they don't fit to their own plans.
At other sections like off-topic, not sure how useful it would be there. I tend to only go there when Younes is @ing me since the modding section is the more comfortable place for me.

Personally I dislike it because I think I would react myself a bit addicted to it (same reason why I don't use facebook, twitch, reddit & Co) and I think I would react a bit like Aeronwen posted above:
Some users enjoy the external validation they get form having ‘likes’ and make posts for the sole purpose of building their self-esteem.
And that's coming from the guy who is currently at a leading position at the Highest reaction score:iamamoron:
That's however a personal opinion, for the forum itself it might be beneficial (even though I doubt it, having a similar mindset as Kentucky James VII at this topic). The implementation of a reaction system into the forum would also be one of the few things which could actually easily be reverted again, it's basically just switched off for most sections as far as I am aware. So Emil's suggestion to test it would be a valid option. Question would then still be how it would be the best to have it (reactions only to OP post like in media section or to every message like in group section) and how customizeable it is anyway. Having some test weeks or months with it could reveal interesting facts.

The Tale Worlds forum's is a large website, and a big place easy to get lost in, there should be a way to like a thread to raise it up on the list. I think they should add a sorting filter to such as: most popular, most recent activity, trending, least popular, and top tags. The tag system is very good but there needs to be more to it make it easier to navigate through threads something that makes the forums more friendly and inviting. I am known as I Headcrab one of, if not the most infamous player in the NA community, I do not proclaim myself to be so, but only the community does, I would like to be the representative for the North American players, I have unbiased thinkings and I listen too all of the community, and before I ever have something to say I always ask input before doing so as to make sure I concede or conclude that my thinkings is correct or needed to be brought up for discussion, feel free to reply to this thread and give me your thinking on this topic. All criticism/support is welcome :smile:

The Tale Worlds forum's is a large website, and a big place easy to get lost in, there should be a way to like a thread to raise it up on the list. I think they should add a sorting filter to such as: most popular, most recent activity, trending, least popular, and top tags. The tag system is very good but there needs to be more to it make it easier to navigate through threads something that makes the forums more friendly and inviting. I am known as I Headcrab one of, if not the most infamous player in the NA community, I do not proclaim myself to be so, but only the community does, I would like to be the representative for the North American players, I have unbiased thinkings and I listen too all of the community, and before I ever have something to say I always ask input before doing so as to make sure I concede or conclude that my thinkings is correct or needed to be brought up for discussion, feel free to reply to this thread and give me your thinking on this topic. All criticism/support is welcome :smile:
And here's some "thinkings" that advocate for downvotes too. :razz:

I'd like to see only the suggestion board with both upvotes AND downvotes enabled, so the suggestion threads are nicely sorted.
Enabling just upvotes elsewhere is not going to change much. People post for validation as it is. Is there any other reason to post? :smile:
I'd like to see humor and wit promoted on the forum by enabling "funny" reaction as on Steam.

I'm sorry, but I've never heard of you :razz:
I’m the face of NA/ representative, nice to meet you, I’ve just recently been making an appearance in the forums.

And here's some "thinkings" that advocate for downvotes too. :razz:

I'd like to see only the suggestion board with both upvotes AND downvotes enabled, so the suggestion threads are nicely sorted.
Enabling just upvotes elsewhere is not going to change much. People post for validation as it is. Is there any other reason to post? :smile:
I'd like to see humor and wit promoted on the forum by enabling "funny" reaction as on Steam.
I would like the system to be implemented so that one could rise in popularity.

So should lagstro take my place, I don’t get your point here. Why be so toxic, you make no valid statement that way.

Dear Headlice,
Who died and left you in charge of NA? Has Rhade passed? Did Mad Dawg give up the ghost? Has Calamity breathed his last? Hell, even Lagstro is way better known than you.
Maybe you should take the role as representative let’s see how you do..
————————————
Also never said I was in charge of anything, I just want to get more people in the community, show them it’s not such a toxic place, and I am gonna start showing the other communities such as European, and Oceanic that NA isn’t as bad as they say, and as toxic as everyone says. People like you make this hard, so why don’t you just keep your snotty little comments to yourself.

Maybe you should take the role as representative let’s see how you do..
He kinda did for a while, actually. In the same position I now occupy, as a matter of fact. He's a grumpy old goat, though, so you should know that you pester him at your own risk.

Dear Headlice,
Who died and left you in charge of NA? Has Rhade passed? Did Mad Dawg give up the ghost? Has Calamity breathed his last? Hell, even Lagstro is way better known than you.
Am I too old to even get a mention? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom