Debating implementation of a Reaction/Like system

Users who are viewing this thread

Recently I feel like those who oppose any kind of reaction system are somewhat internet conservatives. They don't want to lose the system that they used to see everyday I guess. Just a 'guess' coming from my ass though.
Don't worry. It appears a lot of users are talking out of theirs. Imagine the horror if the same users talking about numbers highlighting invalid arguments are the very same users spitting out invalid arguments. Let's obliterate some naysayers, shall we?

Points will, whether you like the natural behavior of humans need for acknowledgement or not, make more users voice their suggestions/bugs. If you can gain acknowledgement or be highlighted by others, it might actually lead to more users being genuinely interested in proving feedback/help, rather than just trolling. It's not like moderators will disappear or won't take care of any trolls attempting to jump on the bandwagon.

This might greatly improve the situation if you're one of the users complaining over the forums being a tiny representation of what suggestions, ideas or priorities the entire community want. Then you should be pro anything which makes it easier for a larger audience to voice their opinions. Polls and this point system. If you don't believe in the human need for acknowledgement, then you wouldn't care about that sweet custom forum title, or your time-spent-on-forums-rank or any other function intended to reward you for your activity on the forums/make you appear to be unique, right?

Last edited:
Points will, whether you like the natural behavior of humans need for acknowledgement or not, make more users voice their suggestions/bugs. If you can gain acknowledgement or be highlighted by others, it might actually not lead to more trolling - but to more users being genuinely interested in proving feedback/help. I don't know what's so scary about the idea, it's not like moderators will disappear; they might actually gain some time to focus on the actual content in these threads, rather than spending all that time sorting threads out.

What I don't like is that it turns online interactions into more of a robotic transaction than they already are. If someone thinks even for a second, "how many likes can I get out of posting this comment", then I believe the system is detrimental and creates yet another degree of separation between users. I should be interacting with the user themselves, not the forum system.

What I don't like is that it turns online interactions into more of a robotic transaction than they already are. If someone thinks even for a second, "how many likes can I get out of posting this comment", then I believe the system is detrimental and creates yet another degree of separation between users. I should be interacting with the user themselves, not the forum system.
OP talked about a system to vote on threads in the suggestions forums though. We're not talking about a like-button on your comment here and now.
Moderators should be able to handle any ''I want to be able to marry Callum in-game''-threads. I'm strongly for trying instead of speculating.
(We could continue the talk about my three/four alternative implementations here, but I'd recommend creating another topic for that, or a poll for those).

Last edited:
I should be interacting with the user themselves, not the forum system.
Fair point. But at the same time it would be simpler if I'd have just thumbed up this. There would be no point in posting it like this. You would get it most of the first sentence anyway.

Also, I believe there can be many ways to compansate many of the counter-arguements such as these. Like make reaction system user-only either only visible by visitors but usable by users or both visible and usable by users only and nothing to visitors. Aside from that, making an optional toggle for it could solve almost every problem. It would be disabled by default and only who wants to see and use reactions could active it. This would give more democratic headroom to see if it's capable or destructive.

I've been called many things in my life, but never a conservative, lol
tenor.gif

Jokes aside, c'mon guys, I have literally said that that guess was coming from my ass. I didn't know you guys would take my ass seriously. He is the lazy kind.

A reaction system just for seeing best suggestions, no thanks, I think this is not a great idea. Why?

* Because devs have super powers like being able to create polls. They can select e.g.10 suggestions from users and create a poll to choose between them if they want.

Another thing is, I believe this can be risky for all of us too. What if devs don't want to do most popular suggestion, this can cause uprising in community and people can start to complain like I'm not playing anymore because devs does not care about community etc. However the real cause could be otherwise like it requires too much time or manpower or bring too much new bugs to game etc..

I like this game and so I would like to see an active player base as big as possible, this way devs will have a reason to continue evaluating and perfecting it, this is win-win for us and them. So, if there is even a little risk about uprising community, again no thanks I don't want that function.

ADD THE UPVOTE BUTTON AT SUGGESTIONS
Most of good/great/useful suggestions gets absolutely 0 attention, because in most cases controversal and less useful posts gathers most of attention/activity
People just don't even open posts, if they agree or like it. They open it, if they disagree or confused.
To evade bias, likes should be only for main posts, not for replies.
But don't add the downvote button, because it will cause the same effect as ability to like comments - bias.
We already have Top Feedback & Suggestions thread, where replies=likes/upvotes, but big number of replies doesn't mean that people want some controversial suggestion.
For most people, if they agree, they even won't open suggestion thread to give it +1 view.
In these cases thread gets +1 view:
Most people open thread if they didn't (fully) understand the title but did find it interesting and want to see more;
They are biased by number of replies/views;
They see many replies and just want to read them;

In these cases thread gets +1 reply and +1 view
Most people post in thread if
They want to add their ideas to main suggestions
They are confused by the title/main post and want to ask thread starter;
They really wants suggestions in thread implemented / it's their favorite/unpleasant topic;
They are very skeptical about title/main post;
They hate thread theme / suggestions;
They found a reply that triggered them to answer;

Simple agreement/support is not a reason enough

Last edited:
What's to stop the controversial stuff getting more upvotes? Conversely, what happens when an actually useful post is also controversial?

This sort of thing is what moderators are for. If certain types of threads are getting too much attention, moderators lock them. Otherwise, the whole point of a forum is the free creation of topics within a (fairly loose) set of rules. If a thread obeys the rules I really don't like the idea that it gets buried because it gets fewer upvotes. You can't turn everything into a self-automating social conditioning system.
220px-Theodore_Kaczynski_2.jpg

You only need look at the front page of reddit or the top rated tweets of all time to realise that fully automated forums are terrible.

Last edited:
What's to stop the controversial stuff getting more upvotes? Conversely, what happens when an actually useful post is also controversial?

This sort of thing is what moderators are for. If certain types of threads are getting too much attention, moderators lock them. Otherwise, the whole point of a forum is the free creation of topics within a (fairly loose) set of rules. If a thread obeys the rules I really don't like the idea that it gets buried because it gets fewer upvotes. You can't turn everything into a self-automating social conditioning system.
220px-Theodore_Kaczynski_2.jpg

You only need look at the front page of reddit or the top rated tweets of all time to realise that fully automated forums are terrible.
We don't need TOPs here etc.
Likes/upvotes should replace "+1" replies
Also we don't need sorting by likes/upvotes, they need to simplify "+1" replies or just visiting threads to give it +1 view
Again, most people won't do anything if they agree to thread theme, they will just continue scrolling

If you agree or disagree with an opinion, respond to it in written form with an explanation on why that is the case, instead of implementing a thumbs up/down system or something similar. If you're unwilling to do that, then your opinion isn't worth anything.

Again
Most people won't open thread to write "I agree, i would like to see it in the game" if they agree
It's too many actions for this, it's like nodding in conversation
And why you refer to reddit and thumbs down?
And telling people not to +1 - why? This is another fact we need +1 button, because only controversal threads will be becoming popular

Again
Most people won't open thread to write "I agree, i would like to see it in the game" if they agree
It's too many actions for this, it's like nodding in conversation
And why you refer to reddit and thumbs down?
And telling people not to +1 - why? This is another fact we need +1 button, because only controversal threads will be becoming popular

But at some point there is nothing to add.Then you either agree or disagree with one side or the other.

What he said.

Not being personal here, but this this is hardly better than "+1"

I know it is a far stretch, but for example governments have relativly few people in contrast to the number to the people in a country. That's why we delegate our voice to them. It would be such a hussle if all people that have an opinion on a matter have to make a statement even though it is just a repetition of what dozen of people have said before.

Main post: *some suggestion"
*12 likes*
Naah they have no right to thumb up, their opinion worth nothing

Main post: *same some suggestion*
Person 1: I agree, i would like to see it in the game
Person 2: I agree, i would like to see it in the game
Person 3: I agree, i would like to see it in the game
Person 4: I agree, i would like to see it in the game
Person 5: I agree, i would like to see it in the game
Person 6: I agree, i would like to see it in the game
Person 7: I agree, i would like to see it in the game
Person 8: I agree, i would like to see it in the game
Person 9: I agree, i would like to see it in the game
Person 10: I agree, i would like to see it in the game
Person 11: I agree, i would like to see it in the game
Person 12: I agree, i would like to see it in the game
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL WORTHY PEOPLE AND I RESPECT THEM, THEIR OPINION IS SO WORTHY! I'M GLAD WE HAVE SO GREAT PEOPLE WHO CAN RESPOND IN WRITTEN FORM!

Main post: *some suggestion"
*12 likes*
Naah they have no right to thumb up, their opinion worth nothing

Main post: *same some suggestion*
Person 1: I agree, i would like to see it in the game
Person 2: I agree, i would like to see it in the game
Person 3: I agree, i would like to see it in the game
Person 4: I agree, i would like to see it in the game
Person 5: I agree, i would like to see it in the game
Person 6: I agree, i would like to see it in the game
Person 7: I agree, i would like to see it in the game
Person 8: I agree, i would like to see it in the game
Person 9: I agree, i would like to see it in the game
Person 10: I agree, i would like to see it in the game
Person 11: I agree, i would like to see it in the game
Person 12: I agree, i would like to see it in the game
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL WORTHY PEOPLE AND I RESPECT THEM, THEIR OPINION IS SO WORTHY! I'M GLAD WE HAVE SO GREAT PEOPLE WHO CAN RESPOND IN WRITTEN FORM!
Thanks for proving that you are wrong. Much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom