Dear TW, I heard you're planning to **** up this great game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
People who generally want the combat to be more like warband:
- MP Veterans who are also leaderboard-toppers in bannerlord

People who generally think the combat is okay or even good:
- Midlife crisis guys who call everyone whiny fortnite children and then suddenly vanish when footage emerges of them dying repeatedly to basic attacks in TDM.

It should be really obvious who to listen to.

No man. You shouldn't say that.

Lots of quotes and walls of text commin'
In no particular order.

I prefer Warband combat system too, it was clearly better imo. Probably the reasoning behind this change is Mount & Blade players always prefer singleplayer, it was like %95 singleplayer %5 multiplayer. Playing in multiplayer was hard, people gave up too quickly because they were pros in singleplayer but got destroyed in multiplayer, so they probably thought it was a good idea to reduce skill, therefore, new players can play multiplayer too. I would say it worked, but I can't. AFAIK it is like %75 singleplayer %25 multiplayer right now, but singleplayer is way too boring right now (and no mods) so I can't say. But it is a fact that the gap between singleplayer and multiplayer will reduce.
Singleplayer in absolutely zero way prepared people for multiplayer. The skill difference is so massive, after 6000 hours in singleplayer, you'd be shredded by anyone with 50 hours in multiplayer because the multiplayer...player would have learned how to manual block. Bannerlord doesnt train you for multiplayer either, and now they re-enabled autoblock....

Also, there is nothing clear about "superior warband gameplay", this is just like, your opinion man. I never really played alot of MP in Warband so I can't comment on the skill ceiling, but it just flat out LOOKS ridiculous.
Thats basically the problem of the criticism warbands combat got... I dont comment on trading for singleplayer because I never did it, my input is irrelevant to the conversation. Ok it looks weird, but you dont have to duel. I dont like duels in warband, because I think the feint spamming people do looks stupid and I didnt want to learn it. Thats my personal opinion and decision to do, just like yours. But I dont say oh the combat is terrible because of it, because I'll still beat most feintspammers because its not like its an instant win mechanic. I massively enjoy infantry in warband, but hate duel. If you watch competitive matches, note MATCHES not duel, you'll not see feint spamming, because if you're stuck in a feint, especially if you have to move your screen too much, you're so open to attack, its just not worth even trying. So for anyone who hates the way duel is, I get it, play actual Infantry instead.

I only read the first post so i have no idea what did u discussed about for 9 pages.

Bruh, this is so true. I was looking for this response and actually a bit worried about this issue. Some people wants to turn this game into warband which was released on 2010 at a time which taleworlds probably couldn't add this much of immersion and reality. If u want to play warband, go play warband i don't want to see android guys, who hardtried and trained so they can slaughter casual players so they can feel gud, in a game with such a potential to evolve into best medieval themed game.

If u dink u gud, git gud in this circumstances.
People who tryhard and master the game should always have the edge in a fight, because they know what theyre doing. People really have to understand that tryhard people will always be the best, because they want to be the best...If you play once a week for a few hours on TDM, you'll never match up to a competitive player, you just wont have the skill for it, you wont learn the game the same way. Why on earth would you expect to? Why would we spend hours and hours fine tuning our skills when a player with 10 hours will beat us because the game simply says this is how its gonna be. Its unfair, and its unfun. I hate the git gud thing, but its a skill based game, you have to put in the effort if you want to improve. Trust me its worth the effort, warband was by far the most satisfying game I've ever played, and I hope Bannerlord gets there too.

Hell as in, others who don't train day and night in closed spaces to know how to stand to the inch get the best of you sometimes?
(This is far far back but honestly I want to comment on this...) In warband a player can surprise you and kill you, for example just throwing out random attacks you didnt expect, but I dont curse out the game for that, I curse out the player, and myself for not expecting it. Its my fault I died, so I either get over it or I fight smarter. In bannerlord, there are mechanics that simply take skill out of the picture, which ruins the fun.

I'm not a new player by any stretch. But Warband MP just wasn't fun when I was new. And I was new for around 2 months of every day training to keep that constant high level of stress and awareness. Not fun.
Then you trained in the wrong way, probably because you didnt enjoy the content so you didnt care if you got better. Based on the video I saw earlier, alot of the mistakes you do can be fixed pretty easily honestly, decision making, judging range and ofcourse, blocking.

Egomaniac "Warband veterans" at it again with the witch hunts.

I agree Metafa, that Meth head ultra speed Warband combat should be left in the past, Bannerlord's combat is pretty bad but Warband's is absolute ass.

@Younes123 @CANTON You should also shut up about his ability to speak English, makes you seem like closet racists.
If the combat is slow, fights will last for longer. If at a public skill level an infantry fight lasts for lets say, a minute, cavalry and archers will come in by then to finish the fight anyway, especially on the massive servers we're seing currently. And imagine this on a higher skill level. If skirmish ends up with a 1vs1 infantry fight at the flag, and combat is so slow the players are all attuned to it, it wont end. Well thats not quite true, crush the shield and then weapon pommel for 2 damage. FUN!

I see that all the time in tdm and siege. A small match (20 or 10 players), specially in the morning, where one or two players play cav and just lance everyone left and right. It is not fun, except for the physco who ruins it for everybody else.
Then you and I play different games. Everytime I play siege in europe, people struggle to even put up their shield in time for me to hit them. The few 2 hand spammers I fight get stuck feinting forever so I just attack while theyre trying to stab the sun and they die. If you're fighting a competitive cavalry, yeah that sucks they'll beat you if you're inf, but if you as inf (spear inf) are on equal skill level, you should be winning that fight. Bind your View outfit key to Q and make sure if you're not very close to a fight, always have your spear out.

I agree with op. The two times I tried warband mp (I have 700 hours in warband) I quit after 2 minutes after all the nonsense chananigans going on. It didnt feel like a medieval combat game, more like some kind of hyper hdd zone. Bannerlord sp is fine although the mp is fine as is too tbh.
Bannerlord multiplayer feels fine because we havent entirely broken the game yet. We're on the ground floor of the game, so everything feels more balanced. Give it a year, and tryhard players will have mastered it. Bannerlord will be just as difficult for new players are warband is.

Wow the circlejerk Warband players at it again. Warband just looks like a complete ****fest, doesent even look like a serious game. If you watch Warband on the higher levels it's an absolute joke. I can guarantee you that there is not one single none Warband player that would find anything in Warband impressive.

I can agree that Bannerlord have room for alot of improvements but never should Taleworlds go on and adapt Warbands style of fighting.

Also what's up with everyone not understanding what Metafa is trying to say? Are you guys really trying to undermine his point by saying that he's not making any sence when he is? His point has been clear since the beginning. This is the defintion of internet bullying.

The more I am on these forums the more I realise how these Warband circlejerks looks like fanatic religious people, ready to do and say anything to defend their cause, to push their agenda. There is no real conversation or dialogue, just a bunch of people repeating their verse from their bible that Warband fighting had depth and everything else is wrong.
Thats a crazy statement, actually wild. So we're trying to undermine his points, but we're all circlejerk religious fanatics, ready to do anything to push our agenda? Hmm....

I think like 3 or 4 weeks ago on TDM I was consistently #1 on the scoreboard for a couple of nights. My game sessions were around 3 to 4 hours and occured from 5 pm to 9 pm on a weekend. Good times but stressful as fudge. I was pretty much zoomed out of the world, and my gf told me that I was muttering and doing weird things on my chair while playing. I remember I was exhausted after each session, and pretty stressed. I would like for that not to be every gaming session.
I get that, especially with a full server on TDM its way more stressfull than skirmish, hell more stressfull than tournaments. Theres a billion things to take into account, a ton of cavalry running down at you, are you walking into a crossfire? Lots and lots of throwing weapons flying all over. Thats more because of the amount of players, and therefore chaos. Try out skirmish, Its the fun kind of stress for the most part, and maybe wait for servers to be split up abit more for TDM.

Number one issue for both warband and bannerlord is the game simply wont teach it to you. You have to go through the hell of learning it on your own, or find a clan/trainer to help you. I highly reccommend a clan, as you'll actually learn the fun part of the game. TEAMPLAY!

Mount & Blade is so realistic and immersive, it's basically the medieval equivalent of Microsoft Flight Simulator.

I burst out laughing at that penguin waddle xD

This debate is over. 1.5 is a decent game now. The feedback has been so overwhelmingly positive that there is 0 chance they revert the speed or block delay to how it was before.

This debate is over. 1.5 is a decent game now. The feedback has been so overwhelmingly positive that there is 0 chance they revert the speed or block delay to how it was before.

giphy.gif

Metafa, close the door on your way out.

Lmao, Warband combat is unplayable compared to Bannerlord. They have gotten it just perfect in Bannerlord, nowhere near the clunky system of Warband where your hits don't happen at all half the time.

Last edited:
I think at this point, there will always be one group who is unhappy with the way the system works. There are just to many different opinions to make a universally appreciated system. I guess the best approach is to have a way to let players fiddle with the speed and timing variables themselves and allow private servers which allow those variables to be easily changed.
The latest 1.5 patch was done after the devs looked into the modified parameters from Silen which consisted of warband veterans to test and give their opinion about.

It's no surprise people like the combat now after Silen and others decided to make their own take on the combat

What medieval combat sim has realism that is good? I can think of realistic shooters that are good, but no realistic melee gamrs
while i agree realism usually breeds bad gameplay i can say kingdom come is fairly realistic in 1v1 situations but its quite fun. Wouldnt work as mp combat system though

Kingdom Come Deliverance has a pretty advanced combat system, maybe not a sim but it's complex alright

Complex =/= Realistic

Also kinda off topic but in my opinion KCD was not very advanced. In the end it comes down to just right clicking and getting free cutscene kills over and over again. Or if one would like just repeat super epic combos to get free cutscene kills over and over again but this time by left clicking.

Complex =/= Realistic

Also kinda off topic but in my opinion KCD was not very advanced. In the end it comes down to just right clicking and getting free cutscene kills over and over again. Or if one would like just repeat super epic combos to get free cutscene kills over and over again but this time by left clicking.
Sheesh, I wouldn't know anything about that, never managed to pull off a single combo in hours of playing. Can barely handle any more than 1 enemy in melee until very late game too... Just kinda spam all the attacks I can and block as much as I can, but it's very difficult I find!

Sheesh, I wouldn't know anything about that, never managed to pull off a single combo in hours of playing. Can barely handle any more than 1 enemy in melee until very late game too... Just kinda spam all the attacks I can and block as much as I can, but it's very difficult I find!
masterstrikes are crucial for the games combat system, and they are the reason why kcd couldnt be mp fighting system. If you master that you can manage 4v1s in hardcore

Realism breeds good gameplay. Thus it is a shame that Mount and Blade has never been realistic.

Define "realistic", because I feel like this is a loaded term that people use completely differently based on context. Do you mean:

1. Good satisfying audiovisual design (which might mean slow or exaggerated animations compared to real life)
2. Game mechanics that are designed purely to mimic real life with no external gameplay vision (i.e. the ArmA series, flight simulator)
3. Believable mechanics that aren't necessarily based on reality but avoid that "this doesn't feel right" feeling (i.e. KCD, Steel Division).

As far as I know there has never been a melee game in category 2. Melee combat is just way too fast, complicated and reliant on human reflexes to ever be properly simulated with a mouse and keyboard. The best we can do is rough approximations like in KCD or Mount and Blade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom