Dear Callum

Users who are viewing this thread

I personally did not refer to any deadline. Neither I had an intention to imply that you are slow or whatever. My statement is all about the development of the game content-wise. A brief clarification:

It has been 4 months since the EA started, which account for 1/3 of the estimated early access progress. So far, the game is neither fun nor enjoyable; it lacks even the fundamentals. Development-wise, the last 4 months (1/3 of the estimated progress) have been just about dealing with the fundamentals (that people can finally run their games and so on, yes it sounds funny). Wait, it hasn't touched to the bottom; to make it worse, in the last 4 months, the fundamentals have not been solved yet. That is to say, there is a profound reason to believe that upcoming months will be about fundamentals too. So, what to conclude from this fact? Here is the conclusion: Does the community have expectations for new content? Hell yes. Does the community have any hopes for new content anymore? Hell no. It is something for you to think about maybe.

I hope the game takes longer than a year in EA. To think that it will be released in the appx. next 8 months is just worrisome.

Please tell me more about my experiences and expectations of the game.

Players need to consider just how ambitious of a game this is. We have addictive action based combat, with fully implemented RPG and player quest mechanics, overlayed on an open ended, non-linear, grand strategy campaign map, in a fully simulated medieval world that goes as far as to integrate marriage, birthing, a dynamic economy, tons of quests, and the list goes on. Each feature that is implemented doesn't just need to serve its purpose, but also needs to integrate and balance properly with all of the other aspects of the game. On top of that, they also need to manage the multiplayer aspect of the game.

What are you talking about? Perks, most of them, don't even work...

Well at least we now know. This is the game and they were telling the truth in the EA description, they are just balancing, bug patching, and implementing the placeholders.

Cool

What are you talking about? Perks, most of them, don't even work...
When I'm talking about how ambitious the game is, I am talking about what the end product is expected to be, and not the current state. It will have fully implemented RPG mechanics, and the ground work is already there.

As far as I am concerned, a game should not be judged in early access as if it should already be completed, but by what it is intended to become. When I purchase an early access title, I do so expecting bugs and features that aren't implemented yet. If the devs talk about something like a year in EA, that is a sure indication that the game still has a ways to go, and when you are prognosticating out that far, nothing ever goes quite as planned. A purchase made in EA should be done so with intent of helping the game develop and not with expectations of everything to already be implemented. That said, the game is very playable even in the current state. I have other early access titles in my library that are way further from completion than this game. As someone who has purchased dozens of early access titles, I can honestly say that Taleworlds is doing a good job. Only maybe one or two of the other EA titles I purchased were handled a little better. I mean if anyone is having trouble handling this EA release, then they should definitely avoid ever purchasing any other early access games, because this is a cake walk compared to some of the ones I've been through, lol.

As far as I am concerned, a game should not be judged in early access as if it should already be completed
A purchase made in EA should be done so with intent of helping the game develop and not with expectations of everything to already be implemented.
That said, the game is very playable even in the current state.
As someone who has purchased dozens of early access titles, I can honestly say that Taleworlds is doing a good job. Only maybe one or two of the other EA titles I purchased were handled a little better. I mean if anyone is having trouble handling this EA release, then they should definitely avoid ever purchasing any other early access games, because this is a cake walk compared to some of the ones I've been through, lol.

The game is judged as the Game that is in Development for 8 years now. And 8 years for this is just bad. TW is not an Indie Developer anymore.
No one judges Bannerlord as if it would be a final release, everyone on here judges it as the successor of Warband. But with way less features and immersion. With not one improvement except for graphics.
And to give you a better picture why that makes a lot of people, including me "mad". Imagine how many companies would pay money for such a good market/customer research than what TW had with Mods over the past decade. They had every information what the playerbase likes and wants in Warband or their successors for free. All they had to do was to look on moddb or their very own forums.
I mean you don't have to be Einstein to realize why certain mods were so extremely sucessful. Damn one of the modteams got paid by TW to develop it further and then sold on Steam. And NOTHING of what it brought to the game can be found in Bannerlord. Nothing.

Idk how long you are spectating these Forums, but a LOT of people tried to help with suggestions, ideas etc. and TW did not consider one of them as far as i can tell. And when you talk to the People who played the closed Alpha they will all tell you the same. The Closed Alpha was iirc running for ~1 year. And nothing of what the people in it suggested to TW was done. It pretty much left in the same state as it began. Things that were shown YEARS ago in Devblogs are missing in this version. How. Why. What have they done in all these years. And i said it a million times and i am gonna say it a million times more. Why are the modders so much better at TW's Job than TW is? Why can they fix things and make the game way more stable than the very own developers of the game?

That said, the game is very playable after 4 months of EA, and 8 years of development. But hol' on. The first month of it a lot of people weren't even able to start the game at all. The Siege FPS was utter crap, CTD's left and right. The state it came in EA was absolutely horrible. And yet again i can only refer to >>>8<<< Years.

And that is one of those Arguments i read so often on so many forums "X's EA is so good, i have seen so many EA's that have been worse". Yea my car only breaks every few months, but that is completely fine as i have seen so much worse cars. Which ones? I won't tell, but take my word for it.
I could give you much more EA titles that have been handled better than i could give you bad EA experiences. And my Steam Library is filled to the Brim with EA titles.

You should expect everything that we talked about in the EA description of the store page, and possibly a few things more. I'm really not sure how you jumped to this conclusion from the comment I made about us expecting to be in EA for around a year...
So stuff you´ve shown like the gangs in the towns is just gone?

The game is judged as the Game that is in Development for 8 years now. And 8 years for this is just bad. TW is not an Indie Developer anymore.
No one judges Bannerlord as if it would be a final release, everyone on here judges it as the successor of Warband. But with way less features and immersion. With not one improvement except for graphics.
And to give you a better picture why that makes a lot of people, including me "mad". Imagine how many companies would pay money for such a good market/customer research than what TW had with Mods over the past decade. They had every information what the playerbase likes and wants in Warband or their successors for free. All they had to do was to look on moddb or their very own forums.
I mean you don't have to be Einstein to realize why certain mods were so extremely sucessful. Damn one of the modteams got paid by TW to develop it further and then sold on Steam. And NOTHING of what it brought to the game can be found in Bannerlord. Nothing.

Idk how long you are spectating these Forums, but a LOT of people tried to help with suggestions, ideas etc. and TW did not consider one of them as far as i can tell. And when you talk to the People who played the closed Alpha they will all tell you the same. The Closed Alpha was iirc running for ~1 year. And nothing of what the people in it suggested to TW was done. It pretty much left in the same state as it began. Things that were shown YEARS ago in Devblogs are missing in this version. How. Why. What have they done in all these years. And i said it a million times and i am gonna say it a million times more. Why are the modders so much better at TW's Job than TW is? Why can they fix things and make the game way more stable than the very own developers of the game?

That said, the game is very playable after 4 months of EA, and 8 years of development. But hol' on. The first month of it a lot of people weren't even able to start the game at all. The Siege FPS was utter crap, CTD's left and right. The state it came in EA was absolutely horrible. And yet again i can only refer to >>>8<<< Years.

And that is one of those Arguments i read so often on so many forums "X's EA is so good, i have seen so many EA's that have been worse". Yea my car only breaks every few months, but that is completely fine as i have seen so much worse cars. Which ones? I won't tell, but take my word for it.
I could give you much more EA titles that have been handled better than i could give you bad EA experiences. And my Steam Library is filled to the Brim with EA titles.

Love this post. Should honestly make a thread out of it. To really hammer it in.

Right now, we are in Early Access, and that is how far along we are in development. I know that sounds like a non-answer (because it kind of is), and what you really want to hear is a specific percentage, but unfortunately, the only way I would be able to give you such a number would be by lying to you, which I am not prepared to do.
Either this truly is a non-answer I should accept for what it is or you did genuinely mean to say that early access is a stage of development, similar to pre-alpha, alpha and the like? Because this could conclude discussions some were having as to whether the game is alpha or early access or both.

Last edited:
Right now, we are in Early Access, and that is how far along we are in development. I know that sounds like a non-answer (because it kind of is), and what you really want to hear is a specific percentage, but unfortunately, the only way I would be able to give you such a number would be by lying to you, which I am not prepared to do.

However, what I can say is that our original estimate when releasing the game was to spend around a year in early access before the full-release and I think we are still on track for that.
I'm going to be optimistic and take that as a statement of confidence and hope that it means a significant increase in the update frequencies to un-finished content. I would like to know though, why exactly the updates to the perks/skills is taking so long? We have 8 of 18 completely dead still and not a single other skill tree is actually finished. Since the devs were (albeit briefly) able to put out weekly perk updates, why can't that continue?

I'm going to be optimistic and take that as a statement of confidence and hope that it means a significant increase in the update frequencies to un-finished content. I would like to know though, why exactly the updates to the perks/skills is taking so long? We have 8 of 18 completely dead still and not a single other skill tree is actually finished. Since the devs were (albeit briefly) able to put out weekly perk updates, why can't that continue?
I would hope so, but at this point it seems unlikely that the update frequency will just all of a sudden fly through the roof.
I agree, at this point I have not see anything contrary to this.
Well, I guess the modders will have to finish the job.

@Callum

Unique Maps for Towns, Castles and Village: Although we plan to create unique maps for every town and castle in the game, it is a rather arduous process to create that many well designed maps and as such, different locations may share the same map during early access.

Not even started as they all look the same.

Quest Content: A portion of planned quests may be missing entirely, and those in the game may be using placeholder maps, animations, etc.

Again hardly been any real adding of quests and the ones we have get boring as you can predict what they will be.

Voice overs: Since the game uses a lot of dynamic text and hundreds of NPCs, we are planning to record voice-overs for only a limited subset of the dialog (greetings, companion introductions and main quest). Some of these planned voice overs may be missing or using placeholder versions during EA.

We have one voice-over so nowhere near complete.

Singleplayer Features: Several planned single player features may be missing or incomplete. These include but are not limited to: full game controller support, some skill and perk effects, crafting, some aspects of sieges, and clan, army and kingdom management.

Kingdom management needs a complete overhaul, as it falls far behind other medieval games, clans need more companion options including more roles,marriages, also companions need their skill sets sorted out, companions names need to be better thought out, sieges have loads of work that still needs doing, crafting I won't even go there as it needs a complete overhaul to include fletcher skills and amour smith, skills and perks still need completing, arena needs a complete overhaul, more games in cities like dicing etc, I could go on but will stop there.

That puts you at about 10% complete in four months of the game being in Early Access. That means we are looking at about 3 years before the game comes out of Early Access. I am not criticising but I would prefer complete honesty on it.

Edit: The reason I say 3 years is mainly based up one statement within the Early Access statement:

Unique Maps for Towns, Castles and Village: Although we plan to create unique maps for every town and castle in the game, it is a rather arduous process to create that many well designed maps and as such, different locations may share the same map during early access.

This is a mammoth task you have set yourselves. Every culture would have different buildings, from the wooden forts of Battania to Castle like towns of Vlandia. That alone will take up a considerable portion of the time. It will certainly make each culture unique. However implementing them and keeping the different cultures balanced will be a whole new ball game of it's own.

Last edited:
You knowingly bought an unfinished game and now you are complaining that it is unfinished. You could have not bought it, or you could have waited, but you didn't want to do that. So now you no life play the game you claim to hate and spend the other 6 hours of the day harassing the devs on the forums. They'll probably just stop communicating, no point in trying to reason with this. Won't be the first time I've seen a few people ruin it for everyone. I know a lot of us are still under lockdown but do yourself a favor, take a break, go outside, find something else to do for a week a two.

You knowingly bought an unfinished game and now you are complaining that it is unfinished. You could have not bought it, or you could have waited, but you didn't want to do that. So now you no life play the game you claim to hate and spend the other 6 hours of the day harassing the devs on the forums. They'll probably just stop communicating, no point in trying to reason with this. Won't be the first time I've seen a few people ruin it for everyone. I know a lot of us are still under lockdown but do yourself a favor, take a break, go outside, find something else to do for a week a two.
This is what retards game development ladies and gentlemen

Wow just wow. Do you want to take a few minutes to sit down and get it out of your system. Whilst you do that, you can read this from the developers:

“Early access is something that we are very familiar with: our first title, Mount & Blade, helped to pioneer this method of release back in 2005. By working alongside our community we were able to deliver a unique gaming experience that players still enjoy to this day. These past experiences have taught us that it is vital to bring players in to help us iron out any issues and refine the game by utilizing feedback to bring it to the level that both our community and we expect."

As you can see they ask for feedback and it is part of how they like to develop their games. I am sure telling them that game is wonderful the way it is will instil in them a desire to further develop the game and add features that the players would like.

Wow just wow. Do you want to take a few minutes to sit down and get it out of your system. Whilst you do that, you can read this from the developers:

“Early access is something that we are very familiar with: our first title, Mount & Blade, helped to pioneer this method of release back in 2005. By working alongside our community we were able to deliver a unique gaming experience that players still enjoy to this day. These past experiences have taught us that it is vital to bring players in to help us iron out any issues and refine the game by utilizing feedback to bring it to the level that both our community and we expect."

As you can see they ask for feedback and it is part of how they like to develop their games. I am sure telling them that game is wonderful the way it is will instil in them a desire to further develop the game and add features that the players would like.
Telling them it’s s*** over and over doesn’t exactly keep them enthused either. Or do you like being yelled at by your customers constantly?

Back
Top Bottom