Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No way!!!

• Hell yes!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

I think your scimiter is a bit unrealistic to me. M&B's original is pretty accurate representation of a scimiter.

But if you want to add this, I have no right to stop. It's your mod anyway.

And good luck with your project.

Your scimitar is too thick and too short, and would be hard to use as a weapon. The original scimitar in Mount & Blade is much more representative of what a Saracen warrior would have used.

Here is a webpage with many different kinds of weapons from the Middle East:

http://www.oriental-arms.co.il/items.php?coll=1&cat=3

http://www.oriental-arms.co.il/items.php?coll=3&cat=3

In my opinion you should spend less time modding weapons and more time modding armor, as almost all the armor in Mount & Blade is based on European or Viking armor, with just a few weapons and pieces of armor that are Eastern but usually more suited to Mongols than they are to Arabs or Turks.

Here are some more suggestions for your mod:
1) Have Khergit Raiders name changed to Mongol Raiders, as the Mongols attacked the Middle East around the same time as the Crusades and they also attacked Europe.

2) Change the name of Sea Raiders to Kievan Rus Raiders or perhaps Varangian Raiders. At certain points in time the Kievan Rus, who were Vikings, fought for the Byzantine Empire and often times they would go out of their way to plunder cities and castles. They mostly fought Muslims but they started fighting against Christians in 1204 when the 4th Crusade sacked the capitol city of the Byzantine Empire, Constantinople, and afterwards the Byzantine Empire fought the newly Established Latin Empire there for control of it's territory back. The Varangians loved treasure above all else and would often meddle around in Byzantine politics to put somebody they wanted on the throne.

3) Steppe Bandits could be changed to Turkic Bandits, as various Turkic groups, not all of whom were Muslim (like the Cumans, Gokturks, Pechenegs, Khazars, etc.) plagued large areas of Eastern Europe and the Middle East. The Turks who carved out a large empire for themselves during the Middle Ages were the Seljuks, and later they became the Ottoman Turks, and those are the Turks that you see today.

4) Here a few more pictures of Islamic Warriors:

http://www.frontiermodels.co.uk/SARACEN_WARRIOR_XI_to_XIV_54mm_Metal_kit.htm

http://www.cwo.com/~lucumi/moor.jpg

http://www.republika.pl/koncerz1/reszta/Persian%20warriorXVIc.JPG

5) Here is a path you could use for Islamic armies if you want them to become archers:

Desert Archer
Futuwwa Archer
Janissary Archer

6) The Padded Leather armor (not to be mistaken with Padded Cloth) is the one that most closely resembles what a Saracen Warrior would have worn if he weren't using regular clothing or chainmail or lamellar.

ty bbcrackmokey again,i just hate the look of the original scimitar, too thin the blade.mine is a bit short, i'm changing it,its mt first time using blender.

Go the the bottom of the screen the link tkats you to and click on "FREE" then scroll to the bottom and wait 16 secound, then click on the download link.

New weapon for this mod!!the orther scimitar was riddish because it was too short, and i improved it to this.
http://www.freewebs.com/mountandblade/Arabian%20scimitar%202.bmp

smaller hilt, bigger blade.

Just curious, but have you made all the changes I suggested to your mod? I would like to download it but I'm not exactly sure how to install it. Where do I copy and paste your files?

no, too many suggestions and half can only be done after module tools,
copy and paste the txt files to the mods/native folder and copy the dds file to the texture file.

When I try to unzip the crusade mod I get these error messages.

! C:gamesMount&BladeModsCrusade_mod.zip: Unknown method in conversation.txt
! C:gamesMount&BladeModsCrusade_mod.zip: Unknown method in costumes4.dds
! C:gamesMount&BladeModsCrusade_mod.zip: Unknown method in factions.txt
! C:gamesMount&BladeModsCrusade_mod.zip: Unknown method in item_kinds1.txt
! C:gamesMount&BladeModsCrusade_mod.zip: Unknown method in party_templates.txt
! C:gamesMount&BladeModsCrusade_mod.zip: Unknown method in towns.txt
! C:gamesMount&BladeModsCrusade_mod.zip: Unknown method in troops.txt
! C:gamesMount&BladeModsCrusade_mod.zip: No files to extract

And yes, I tried downloading it several different times.

I'd guess your unzipper program can't read this particular file. I had the same problem with Hugemod. Use a different unzipper.

I just downloaded it and I've got quite a few complaints. I don't mean to demean your hard work, so let me offer some constructive criticism:

1) I don't very much like the quadruple damage thing. One hit and people are dead even if they're wearing armor, horses ride around the battlefield like motorcycles or racing cars. A lot of different armor types had their armor values doubled for seemingly no reason and a lot of weapons had their damage tripled while some seemed to be only doubled.

2) The highest level Islamic cavalry troop type, Sipahi, has no horse. A Sipahi should have a Warhorse, Lamellar Armor, Guard Helmet, and plate or chain boots.

3) It seemed that the Islamic troops you made had a very limited selection of weapons. The only ones I saw were Scimitars, Nomad Sabres, Spears, Battle Forks for Saracen Infantry. In fact the Muslim troops used a wide variety of weapons throughout the Crusades, including Glaives, Lances, Axes, and Spiked Maces.

4) None of the Islamic soldiers I saw were wearing Lamellar Armor, which was commonly worn by Islamic soldiers seeking something heavier than chainmail.

5) All the high level Islamic soldiers were wearing chain hauberks and had spiked helmets. The highest level Islamic soldiers, like Heavy Janissary Infantry and Sipahi should have worn Lamellar Armor and Guard Helmets instead and rode Warhorses if they were cavalry.

6) It seems that you gave most mid-level Muslim troops Linen Tunics when they should be wearing Padded Armor instead. Nomad Caps, Steppe Caps, Segmented Helmets, and Helmets with Neckguard should have also been worn, as well as leather boots by these mid-level Islamic soldiers.

7) The basic Islamic peasant, "Follower" has no clothing other than a turban and a pair of underwear. They look like Indian beggars with swords, not Arabs. Muslims would have considered it extremely immodest to go around wearing skimpy clothing, and the standard clothing for a Muslim peasant would have been a white or sandy colored robe. The Linen Tunic comes close but the Coarse Tunic looks the most like what a Medieval Islamic peasant would have worn.

:cool: None of the Muslim troops in your mod had any facial hair. The majority of Muslim men, both now and in the past, had beards or mustaches.

9) Gazis and Mamluk Skirmishers have no shirts on. Like I said before, Islamic troops would have never fought or walked around without shirts on, first because it would be considered religiously improper not to wear a shirt (and very impractical in battle!) and secondly because the white, grey, and sandy linen and cotton robes Muslims wore and still wear protect their bodies from the rays of the sun.

10) It seems to me that the Christian troops are mostly from the Vaegirs, who are modelled after Vikings. Vikings did not participate in the Crusades. The only Vikings that were in the Middle East during the Crusades were the Varangian Guard, and they fought as mercenaries for the Byzantine Empire and did not fight side-by-side with the Crusaders themselves. The Swadian soldiers are what the Crusaders would have looked like.

11) Mamluk Skirmishers and Beduin Archers should be replaced with each other, since the Beduins were nomadic tribes that would occasionally fight for the Arabs as light auxiliary troops and the Mamluks were professional warriors. In your mod the Beduin archers have chainmail and a Spiked Helmet, but in real life they would have worn nothing more than the standard white/sandy robes or padded armor at most.

I'm sorry to be so critical of your modification, because I know you tried really hard, but I've got a few questions for you. What country are you from originally, because it seems like English is your second language? I'm guessing you don't know much about Medieval Islam, the Crusades, or the Arab world in general? How much have you played your own mod?

And one final thing: I really wish it was possible to separate the Turks from the Arabs, because they both had different styles of dress, different cultures, different styles of warfare, and different weapons and armor that they liked to use, but unfortunately this mod allows for only one faction to represent the Muslims.

Just for your information, anything with the word "Janissary" means the elite Turkish soldiers, anything with "Mamluk" means the elite Arab soldiers, and both types of soldiers were usually slaves that were formed into a military unit. The reason the Islamic kingdoms formed military units out of slaves is because often they could not rely on their own citizens because their citizens were more loyal to the local clan or tribe than they were to the Sultan or Kalifah, but slaves had no loyalty to anyone but their masters, epsecially if they were treated well.

I haven't played the Christian faction yet, but since their armor and weapons were already programmed into the game, I'm sure there were a lot less mistakes and I'm sure you did fine with them. This game was made mainly to be two different Christian Kingdoms, one regular European, the other Viking, fighting each other, so I realize the difficulty in creating a unique, Muslim faction, but unfortunately your mod still needs a little work.

I'm originaly chinese, i'm not ****ted to write good english because my english teacher isn't gonna look at this site!
and if you don't like brutal damage, don't play any of the mods that i make, and the coming up mod is going to take damage to the max level.

Back
Top Bottom