Dead minor factions get replacement nobles.

Users who are viewing this thread

I believe this is a patchwork because of how poor Death in Battle is implemented.
So in the end since they can't know if it's the result of a choice from the player or just a random death on a battle, they made every factions respawn at a certain point.
I'm not quite sure if it's really working tho since I've seen a lot of clans dying in my very long playthrough, to the point that I'm affraid some factions are becoming weaker just by the fact that I encounter them a lot.

Making them stay dead is in my opinion as bad, because you can't tackle the problem that players could kill them without wanting it.
Are they dead because you executed them ?

I believe this is a patchwork because of how poor Death in Battle is implemented.
I'm not quite sure if it's really working tho since I've seen a lot of clans dying in my very long playthrough, to the point that I'm affraid some factions are becoming weaker just by the fact that I encounter them a lot.

Making them stay dead is in my opinion as bad, because you can't tackle the problem that players could kill them without wanting it.
We shouldn't work on the assumption that certain parts of the game (by which i mean lords dying like flies) will never be fixed, to the point we start balancing around it.

Once they properly balance lord deaths (armor, AI's self-preservation, death chance after combat etc) then lords won't die so much at random, and minor factions should stay alive for most of the game without player intervention. In which case if the player wants them gone they should stay gone.

That's why I said " patchwork ", I didn't imply this won't be fixed at a certain point.
Now the game works like that because it needs to tackle every problems at one point, poorly implemented or not.

That's why I said " patchwork ", I didn't imply this won't be fixed at a certain point.
Now the game works like that because it needs to tackle every problems at one point, poorly implemented or not.
Wasn't sure which way you were going since you said in your opinion it was bad to remove it, but I'm glad we agree.

No worries, it could be my poor English I have to admit. :grin:
There is a lot of room for improvements here, especially for Roguery-like players, but yeah I agree they need to fix the core of the issue at first. ( lords dying like flies )

So in the end since they can't know if it's the result of a choice from the player or just a random death on a battle, they made every factions respawn at a certain point.

Are they dead because you executed them ?
So the death rates are still absurdly high? I was hoping those would be adjusted by now. It sucked the fun out of my last play though and am waiting until it’s more manageable

So the death rates are still absurdly high? I was hoping those would be adjusted by now. It sucked the fun out of my last play though and am waiting until it’s more manageable

I understood form this post that it's still a pending task :

I still can't wrap my head around the fact that they don't have a separate branch for internal testings like these, this could.. well for starters allievate the fact that we have to destroy our playthrough for months now. I guess that's the purpose of the EA afterall, mass testings ... :grin:

I understood form this post that it's still a pending task :

I still can't wrap my head around the fact that they don't have a separate branch for internal testings like these, this could.. well for starters allievate the fact that we have to destroy our playthrough for months now. I guess that's the purpose of the EA afterall, mass testings ... :grin:
Bummer. Thanks for the info, I only hop on the forums every couple weeks and I have a hard time finding what’s been fixed or not.

EA has been a blast but I end up running into bugs or broken systems that kill my enjoyment which prematurely ends my campaigns. But it’s nice to come back and see what’s been fixed or added.

Yeah, I just confirmed it wasn't old save shenanigans. Every time I kill one of these mother****ers or they bite the dust of natural causes, a new one spawns.

I'm not a fan.

Yeah they are doing this now because at a certain point in a long playthrough all the minor clans die out due to old age. I'm not sure they considered the possibility that some people may want to finish them off for good. Personally I don't have an interest in destroying them and would like them be around in future generations.

I do think there should be some middle ground where maybe if the player personally executes the last member of a minor clan then its dead for good. Not sure I'd agree with it happening in battle as battle deaths are random and without clear intention.

Yeah they are doing this now because at a certain point in a long playthrough all the minor clans die out due to old age. I'm not sure they considered the possibility that some people may want to finish them off for good. Personally I don't have an interest in destroying them and would like them be around in future generations.

I do think there should be some middle ground where maybe if the player personally executes the last member of a minor clan then its dead for good. Not sure I'd agree with it happening in battle as battle deaths are random and without clear intention.

I haven’t made it very far into generational in any beta play through yet, but I’d prefer this above all. I’d like the minor kingdoms to remain throughout, but the ability to intentionally remove them through execution seems a fair way to go.

Last edited:
I think it's pretty normal to see this behaviour - they didn't have it previously I guess so I'm glad to see that we have it now.

Minor factions are not exactly "clans" so killing all members might not be enough to eradicate them. After X years, a bunch of new people can call themselves Hidden Hand and reinstantiate the faction. Which I think definitely makes sense. But if they are popping right after someone dies instantly, that's a bit bad way to implement this

Removing a minor faction also means you are removing an entire unique troop tree and perhaps even a culture from the game and since the game isn't dynamic, they won't reappear again in other factions' troop trees or get merged into somewhere - they will go away forever. I don't see the benefit of this, to be honest.

I have mixed feelings about this. I like that they repopulate since they add unique flavor, and until they let Rebel Clans become Minors or let you marry into them, there is not another way to keep them around

That said it is annoying when they snipe caravans and have perpetual wars. I think if you killed them all off there should be a 10-20 year cool down (and they should be able to marry) and if they got rid of the hardcoded wars it would make them much less insufferable. I get the canon metagame for it, but why not let Minors grow and have agency?

Removing a minor faction also means you are removing an entire unique troop tree and perhaps even a culture from the game and since the game isn't dynamic, they won't reappear again in other factions' troop trees or get merged into somewhere - they will go away forever. I don't see the benefit of this, to be honest.
Them going away forever is the benefit. I don't want certain groups of crap troops (Hidden Hand, Embers, Skodbertbava) being around for other factions to hire as a boost to their troop strength. Autocalc doesn't care about their live performance so they can still menace other armies/settlements. But since they are crap, and there is a limit on mercs, I don't hire them. If they are alive sometimes my ruler will though, which is kinda annoying.

In the case of the Lake Rats, I get ****ing sick of getting yeeted off my horse by Wreckers.

I like this, since they aren't families but underground organisations or mercenary companies. Seems reasonable that new people would take the places of dead leaders. It would be nice if there was a way to wipe them out forever if that's what you really wanted to do though.

I wish other clans would somehow get more characters, or new clans could arise.

If minor factions could marry, have kids, own land in their own right (I.e. have a development pathway) then they wouldn't need to respawn.

If minor factions could marry, have kids, own land in their own right (I.e. have a development pathway) then they wouldn't need to respawn.
Yes, they would. Even a 2% chance of death in simulated battle (assuming they are downed four times per year) will have almost all of them dead before the 18 year mark when their children would be old enough to take the reins. After that, sure, go wild but before then they'd need a system to either draw in other characters, pre-made teenagers that could fill in on a shorter timespan or some other system in place.

Back
Top Bottom