SP Musket Era Days of Yore; a daily life simulation.

Radetzky

Count
Best answers

Ladies and gentlemen, the project is still alive and well! As well as can be with no hands-on Bannerlord modding anyway. However, the beta and release announcement has been the impulse to renew this project and restate our goals. And now in this new thread, unburdened by the Swiftian proclamations (which still form the basis of our ideas, but will now be per your feedback rephrased more concisely and accessibly, here’s hoping), we may start afresh, with clear goals and a solid setting.

What we hope to achieve:

• Transform the campaign map into something more akin a cadastral map, spanning some tens of square kilometres instead of continents and with the campaign map objects representing individual structures or urban blocks. Given the hinted modular aspect of BL modding, such campaign maps could be separated from the main mod to improve the coverage and reduce mod size.

• Have the 'scenes' cover the area of said campaign map. Other than this, also at least a few scenes for handpicked "off-campaign-map" locations important enough for the gameplay.

• Adapt time progression to the scope of the mod, too early to speculate given the state of BL, as well as usual and extreme weather events and seasons.

• Adapt BL crafting to most pre-industrial handicrafts, in hopefully engaging manner.

• Adapt BL economy to the mostly microeconomic sphere as hinted in above points, as well as balancing the off-map influence.

• Add copious amounts of dialogue which will hopefully make the AI seem less dumb and repetitive, especially when aimed at eventually being a generational family saga.

What is said solid setting: Czech lands starting November 29, 1780, with the ending open but reasonably achievable would be 1820s no problem and 1850 plausible by avoiding the few industrial centres. And why:

• First of all I swear it’s not any sort of chauvinistic exceptionalism, even if the fact of personal accessibility to sources and some level of knowledge of both chief languages were a factor. Don't worry, it will be as critical and self-deprecating as can be, that being the proud national tradition.

• Fairly stable, without too egregious stuff until like, really the World War II and its aftermath. Hence we can portray the past with a high degree of gritty realism without worrying about too much chimney sweep carcinoma or pogroming.

• The possibility to depict pretty much still a preindustrial society while at the same time already with effects of the Enlightenment, hence the choice of exact start date, with the torture already abolished and concrete steps to bring the rest of the society to the modern era being in progress.

• Even if at times bit dented (by the puzzling reforms of grammar schools by Joseph II, for example), already in this period a growing tendency of meritocratic and other social mobility and generally towards disseminating public instruction instead of education as a class privilege.

• It definitely is a novel setting and has not been done ever since F.L. Věk, or with some extra imagination also Amadeus. Even though it would be ideal to eventually forge an individual if likely stylised graphical identity, we can for the time being sustain ourselves from all the 18th century Warband abandonware OSPs and actually even some rustic vanilla BL statics.

And if the evocative title/signature image may bring the question of: will this be a Kafkaesque subtle critique of bureaucratic horrors; to which I say yes, we will do our best to make it so, it is still a Mount and Blade game however.

With best regards and hopes for feedback and cooperation:
Radetzky (dialogue, research, basic 2D art) – Ido (codding) – Scuba Steve (technical advice, research)

Also, a pseudo-dev-diary number one, 'Some thoughts concerning dialogues' coming soonTM to a computer near you (actually should be a few days atmost).

Discord invitation: https://discord.gg/4mTEMTv

Some basic reading in English on the setting, from the Czech Digital Library:
BAKER, James. Pictures from Bohemia. London : Religious tract society, 1894.
KOHL, Johann Georg. Austria : Vienna, Prague, Hungary, Bohemia, and the Danube, Galicia, Styria, Moravia, Bukovina, and the military frontier. London : Chapman and Hall, 1843.
LÜTZOW, Francis; SRB, Vladimír. Guide to the Bohemian section and to the Kingdom of Bohemia. Prague : Alois Wiesner, 1906.
NĚMCOVÁ, Božena. The grandmother : a story of country life in Bohemia. Translated by Frances Gregor. Chicago : A.C. McClurg and company, 1891.
The Lands of the Bohemian Crown : their history and glory. Prague : published by M. Hipmanová, 1947.

Last edited:

Radetzky

Count
Best answers
Dev diary 1: Dialogues 1

Actually, scratch those few days, I'll demonstrate it at least partially immediatelly (hence Dialogues 1, to be followed by 2, maybe more). So dialogues. The chief tenets of these in DoY are:

1) Using historical sources when possible. Probably due to the bilingualism of the area and the whole national reawakement, there are plenty of phrasebooks that we can use, being a nearly infinite source of phrases and meaningless chitchat, that on its own will add insane amount of natural depth without making fake RPG questlines, bring the mindsets of the past closer and make it much less repetive with comparatively low effort.

2) Displaying said historically sourced dialogues both in source language and in English. This should not only be immersive and clearly indicative of which language and language layer is spoken at what occasion without too heavy handed tips and as such of interest to TW amateur linguist association, but also widening its scope to not necessarily fluent English speakers, especially considering the archaic vocabulary (not saying muh Czechfolk will be much wiser even with posejpátko, vokroužky and pradlí).

Here is a sample dialogue from the 1756 and 1764 editions of John Wenceslas Pohl's Grammatica linguæ Bohemicæ. It is the complete first dialogue titled "Meeting one another and a morning visit", with orthography fixed according to common rules of keeping the archaisms when it does affect pronunciation and axing them, when it does not. First of all a demonstration of that:

Nic na světě ce netěší, jako když vidím, že mojí dobří přátele zdra jsou. With the red indicating fixes and green the kept unusual vowel length and other features. Likewise in German with bey=>bei fixed, but 'saget' kept.

Má služba.
At your service.
Dero Diener.

Šťasný dobrý jítro.
Good morning.
Guten Morgen.

Dobrý poledne.
Good midday.
Guten Mittag.

Dobrý večer.
Good evening.
Guten Abend.

Jejich služebník.
At your service.
Dero Diener.

Kterak spali?
How was your sleep?
Wie haben Sie geschlaffen?

Kterak odpočivali?
How was your rest?
Wie haben Sie geruhet?

Kterak se vynacházejí?
How are you?
Wie befinden Sie sich?

Kterak se vede?
How are you?
Wie gehet es?

Dle pohledu doufám, že dobře a vyborně.
Judging by the look, I hope excelently.
Dem Ansehen nach, glaube ich, daß Sie sich wohlauf befinden.

Jsou vždycky zdravý?
Are you healthy at all times?
Sind Sie allzeit gesund?

K službám, díky bohu!
Indeed, thank god.
Zu dienen, dem höchsten gedankt!

Jak se líbí viděti.
As you may see.
Wie Sie zu sehen belieben.

Velmi dobře, výborně.
Very well, excellently.
Gar wohl, recht auserlesen.

Výborně.
Excellently.
Recht auserlesen.

Velmi dobře.
Very well.
Gar wohl.

Tak, tak.
So-so.
So, so.

Nehrubě.
Not particularly well.
Nicht gar wohl.

Polovičně.
Halfway there.
Halb und halb.

Od nejakého času jsem všechen churavý.
Since some time I am all ill.
Von einiger Zeit her bin ich ganz unpässlich.

Od nejakého času jsem všechen nemocný.
Since some time I am all ill.
Von einiger Zeit her bin ich ganz krank.

Těší mě velice, že čest mám je spatřiti při dobrém a stálém vynacházení.
I am pleased to have the honour of seeing you well.
Mich erfreuet überaus, daß ich die Ehre habe, ihnen zu sehen bei gutem und stetem Wohlsein.

Uctivě děkuji za takové upamatování a že sobě tu nesnázi vzíti oblíbili, mě navštiviti a o mé vynacházení peči míti.
Thank you for your thoughts and the bother to visit me and concern with my well-being.
Ich danke höflich für solches Andenken, daß Sie mich heimzusuchen die Mühe genommen und meines Aufseins wegen Sorge getragen.

Jsem nekonečně zavázán z té zdvořilosti.
I am indebted for such courtesy.
Ich bleibe ohnendlich verbunden für diese Höflichkeit.

Nic na světě mě více netěší, jako když vidím, že mojí dobří přátele zdraví jsou.
Nothing in the world pleases me as much, as knowing that my friends are well.
Mich freuet auf der Welt nichts mehrer, als wann ich sehe, daß meine gute Freunde wohlauf sind.

Přál bych sobě v tom počtu býti.
I would like to count amongst them.
Ich wünschete mir in dieser Zahl zu sein.

Kterak se vede jejich pánu otci?
How is your father?
Wie gehet es dero Herrn Vatter?

Až dosavád dobře a výborně.
As of now very well.
Bis anhero recht wohl.

Jeho zdraví jest mně tak milé, jako moje vlastní.
His health is so dear to me, like my own.
Seine Gesundheit ist mir so lieb, als meine eigene.

Předešlý dni poněkud churavý byl.
Last few days he was somewhat ill.
Die verwichene Täge ist er einigermassen nicht wohlauf gewesen.

Nyni však nicmeně zase se polepšilo.
But now he is feeling better.
Jetzt aber hat es sich mit ihme wiederum gebessert.

Bude ho velice těšiti, jestliže ho navštivějí.
He will be very pleased if you visit him.
Es wird ihme sehr erfreuen, falls Sie ihn heimsuchen werden.

Bude nekonečně potěšen z jejich spatření.
He will be very pleased to see you.
Er wird ohnendlich erfreuet werden von wegen dero Ersehung.

Dnes ale nemám kdy jej navštiviti.
I do not have time to visit him today.
Heut aber habe ich nicht Zeit ihm zu besuchen.

Kam pujdou?
Where will you go?
Wo werden Sie hin gehen?

K pánu učiteli právnimu.
To the doctor of law.
Zum Herrn Doktor deren Rechten.

Jaky zanepráždnění mají?
What sort of business do you have?
Was für Geschäften haben Sie?

Musím jíti na mnoho míst.
I must go to many places.
Ich muß an viele Örter gehen.

Jdu zde na blízce k dobrému příteli.
I am going to a good friend nearby.
Ich gehe hier in der Nähe zu einem guten Freund.

Do který ulice?
In which street?
In welcher Gasse?

V který ulici zustává?
In which street does he live?
In welcher Gasse wohnet er?

Tuhle nedaleko.
Here nearby.
Dahier ohnweit.

S čim pak jsou vždycky zanepráždněny?
With what are you busy all the time?
Mit was sind Sie dann allzeit beschäftiget?

Co maji vždycky k řízení?
What do you have for errands all the time?
Was haben Sie allzeit zu besorgen?

Zdaž pak ani nevycházejí, že nikdy přiležitost nejni je spatřiti?
Do you not even go out, that there's no opportunity to see you?
Geben Sie dann weder aus, daß niemahlen die Gelegenheit sich füge, ihnen zu sehen.

Dost často vycházím, víc než-li potřebno jest.
I go out frequently enough, more than is necessary.
Ich gehe oft genug aus, mehr als nötig ist.

V samý pilnosti zahloubený býti musejí, že ani k spatření nejsou.
You must be absorbed in your diligence, that you are not to be seen.
Sie müssen in lauter Fleiß vertieft sein, daß Sie weder im Vorschein kommen.     

Velice dobré mínění o mně mají, ale nepřejímám se tak mnoho.
You have very good opinion of me, but I do not overstrain myself so much.
Sie haben sehr gute Meinung von mir, aber ich übernehme mich nicht in so weit.

Nečiním sobě násilu.
I don't force myself.
Ich tue mir kein Gewalt an.

Kterak ale přichází, že sobě přátel svých tak málo vážejí?
But how come, that you value your friends so little?
Wie kommt es aber, daß Sie dero Freunde so wenig achten?

Nevím, co skrze to řícti minějí.
I do not know what you mean by that.
Ich weis nicht, was Sie hiedurch zu sagen vermeinen.

Žádám, by mně to vysvětlili.
I demand an explanation.
Ich bitte, Sie wollen mir dieses erleutern.

To jest, že tak zřídka k nám přicházejí.
That is, that you visit us so infrequently.
Das ist, daß Sie so selten zu uns kommen.

V tom chybu mou uznávám.
I admit my fault in that.
In deme erkenne ich meinen Fehler.

Ale čas nepříjemný v tom příčinou jest.
But unpleasant weather is the cause.
Aber das unangenehme Wetter ist hieran Schuld.

Budoucně povinost mojí lepe v pozornost vezmu.
In the future I will take better notice of my duties.
Führohin werde ich meine Schuldigkeit besser in acht nehmen.

Tu budeme vážiti jakožto nezaslouženou náchylnost.
We will value that as an undeserved goodwill.
Wir werden dieselbe als eine unverdiente Gewogenheit achten.

Ale nelíbí se jim vstoupiti?
But would you not like to enter?
Aber beliebt ihnen nicht herein zu gehen?

Nejni přiležito na okamžení nahoru jíti?
Is there not a possibility for you to go upstairs for a little while?
Ist's nicht gelegen, auf einen Augenblick hinauf zu gehen?

Ať odpustějí, nemohu tenkrat se zdržeti.
Excuse me, I cannot delay myself at the moment.
Sie vergeben, dermalen kann ich mich nicht aufhalten.   

Velmi, jak vidím, pospichají.
I am in a hurry, as you may see.
Dem Ansehen nach, eilen Sie sehr.

Ja jsem jedině přišel, bych spatřil, kterak se mají.
I only came to see how do you do.
Ich bin einzig allein gekommen, um zu sehen, wie Sie sich befinden.

Zbohem, až na zase spatření.
Goodbye, see you again.
Gott behüte Sie, bis aufs wiedersehen.

Nechci dýle zdržovati, bych nezanepráždnil.
I don't want to hinder you any longer, so as not to keep you busy.
Ich will nicht länger aufhalten, damit ich nicht verhinderlich sein möchte.

A ja tim spusobem, neb duležitosti moje mě volají.
Same, for work requires me.
Und ich ingleichen, dann meine Geschäften rufen mir.

Líbám ruce a zustávám jejich věrnoupřimný služebník
I kiss you hand and stay your true and faithful servant
Ich küsse die Hand und verbleibe dero treu-aufrichtiger Diener.

Part two will be discussing the languages and language strata we hope to depict, as well as notes on the general language culture and sources.

Radetzky

Radetzky

Count
Best answers
Much appreciated! We are definitely off to a better start now than ever before.

Vague plans for dev diary themes in no particular order except for the first one or two, the themes may also be subject to change.
-Dialogues 2 - as described earlier
-Minorities - continuing from the various languages, description of the minorities ethnic and religious, their situation at the time and representation in the mod (depending on the volume of material might be split accordingly)
-Weather - the general discussion of seasons and weather events, sources on historical temperature, rainfall and atmospheric pressure.
-Cookbooks - notes on the introduction of various victuals, taste and fashion, as well as timeline of various sources
-Periodicals - their availability and political and cultural significance, notes on their consumption and influence, framework of news in the mod
-Maps - Josephinian and Frasciscan cadasters, military maps, thoughts on urbanisation and countryside
-Politics - the limits to outlining ideologies, between enlightened absolutism and preromantic nationalism, reaction against the French revolution

Radetzky

Count
Best answers
Dev diary 2: Dialogues 2

As you might have noticed in part 1, the languages demonstrated in the dialogues there were Czech and German. But first of all, we won’t be stopping there, and secondly, there’ll be plenty more to them. Let’s start with the latter actually.

The Czech language employed in the sample there is chiefly the spoken Standard Czech (hovorová čeština), which is merely a more casual stylistic variety of the written standard (spisovná čeština), which for our gameplay intents and purposes will be reserved mainly for correspondence, partly for school and so on. Now since it is 1780 and we are in midst of one of the more thorough Germanisation attempts and at the very start of national renascence, which means the standardisation is not even there yet (or anymore, after the disastrous effects of the 30y war) properly, we will try to categorise as best as we can. The attempts at standardisation were not uniform either, as such we may encounter many purist neologisms (works by Rosa, Pohl), lingering germanisms and the eventually triumphant way of reviving humanist Czech.

Meanwhile with much of cultured classes using German preferentially and the different attempts at standardisation, the Common Czech (obecná čeština) was not only the standard koiné, it also permeated the written discourse, especially in lesser quality periodicals. As such it also may be seen in some of the sentences presented in the first part, such as:​

Here’s a little graph that will hopefully illustrate the various interrelations and continuums well enough, if not exhaustingly and definitely not flawlessly:

And the schedule being:

•  First of all the common-spoken-written continuum variants, since the sources are already served on a silver plate. Some of the finer distinctions (say the various ways of standardisation) likely later however.

•  Secondly some of the dialects, because well, can’t have countryside without it.

•  Thirdly the Czech-German pidgins, the not really too distinctive late western Yiddish and related occupational dialects (like military talk, artisans’ vocabulary and so on)

•  Eventually the smaller minority languages (Slovaks in Czechia of course, then also got sources on Romani, it will be more tricky though, since I have at least a basic command of the other languages so far listed) and “school” languages: Latin, Ancient Greek and Hebrew, no need to overdo these though.

I think that’s definitely been enough musing for one day, so there will in fact be part three, discussing the linguistic levels of politeness and ways of address, as well as dishing out the primary sources and exploring the possibilities of dividing them into eras.

Radetzky

Radetzky

Count
Best answers
Dev diary 3: Dialogues 3

Hello and welcome to this finally final dev diary on dialogues. Let’s start with the levels of politeness.

Especially if bi- or multilingual, you might be aware of the T-V distinction. Now regarding both “land” languages as they were used in this late-feudal-early-bourgeois society, it goes much beyond that, from the least to most polite:

Thou – used familiarly (in this period often only the parent to child, master to servant way)
-Czech ty
-German du
-English you, most likely, because imagining all the conversations, even in latter periods, including “thou art/beest” etc., is frightening, but feedback welcome

Boy, where are you, be ready, prepare to run to the post office.

He/She – used more rarely especially in CZ (mostly imperative, or with “is Sir...”), more formal but also more impersonal (master to servant, saw it once in a GER police questioning form)
-Czech on(a)
-German er/sie
-English you, I don’t think there’s any way round it

A: Here you have another one.
B: This coin is out of circulation, forbidden.
A: And now are you happy?

You – nowadays the standard Vous (of T-V distinction) in CZ, formerly bit more familiar but still respectful (child to parent). Rare in GER, mostly imperative.
-Czech vy
-German ihr
-English you

Give me a drink and fill the glass.

They  – disappeared from CZ due to democratisation of the language, the most polite version and the standard version of Vous in GER.
-Czech oni
-German Sie
-English you

But do you know why did I come? Why I visited you so early?

All examples are from Pohl 1756.

I won’t be discussing relevant manners of address in too much detail at the moment, but they will be there, depending on the various aristocratic, ecclesial and other titles, but one of the stock ones of servant to master will be Sir, for lack of better yet semantic equivalent, see here:

Materialised as milostpane, jevnostpane (later jemnost-), Euer Gnaden.

And finally the sources, so that you can at least to some extent crosscheck my findings.

POHL, Jan Václav/Johann Wenzel. Grammatica linguae Bohemicae oder die Böhmische Sprachkunst.

This has been the chief source so far as you might have already noticed. Published in 1756 and 1764 (Vienna, Prague, Triest), it is situated perfectly on the crossroads between the baroque literature (still drawing from older grammatics of Rosa, Jandyt etc.) and classicism, as well as being somewhat authoritative during the formative years of the young adult generations at the game start. Pohl’s work was later (rightfully but perhaps bit too harshly) criticized by Dobrovský and other linguists of the enlightenment especially for making up neologisms, this was moreso the case of his 1786 Czech orthography rather than this work, moreover it is not that difficult to isolate the neologisms and parse their usage with other works.

Eighty-one pages of the work consist of dialogues (plus some phrases in the actual grammatical section), structured into 16 distinct dialogues.

1. Meeting and morning visit
2. (unnamed, also a visit)
3. Clothing
4. Breakfast
5. Time
6. Buying and selling
7. Making of clothes
8. House furniture
9. Various things to be seen in the society
10. Writing
11. Fencing
12. News
13. Game
14. Travel
15. Staying over
16. Paying the pub owner

Such is the structure in both 1756 and 1764 editions; the latter has some errata fixed.

POHL, Jan Václav/Johann Wenzel. Neu verbesserte böhmische Grammatik (Newly improved CZ Grammar).

Overhauled version of above, published 1773, 1776 (as Böhmische Sprachkunst) and 1783. 25 dialogues, including the above.

JANDYT, Václav/Wenzel. Grammatica linguae Boemicae.

Found 1739 Prague edition, supposedly as late as 1753. Influence on Pohl noticeable, 12 dialogues, chiefly useful for parsing with latter sources (Pohl doesn’t even have Dobrej den as a greeting in any form afaik, Jandyt does).

ROHN, Jan Karel/Johann Karl. Nomenclator/Jmenovatel/Klassificiertes Wörterbuch

Published in parts Prague 1764, 1765, 1766 and 1768 and again 1780, rather detailed dictionary also including technical terms (agriculture significantly) and some phrases. This is more so a sample, obv. many other dictionaries and grammars not as useful for our momentary needs.

TOMSA, František Jan/Franz Johann. Böhmische Sprachlehre.

A Prague 1782 edition, important for the critique of neologisms as well as some phrases.

THÁM, Karel Hynek/Karl Ignaz. Deutschböhmisches Nationallexikon.

Prague and Vienna 1788 and 1799 (part 1 and 2), to be followed by his other dictionaries.

BERNOLÁK, Anton. Grammatica Slavica.

1790 Bratislava Latin edition, first codification of Slovak, many idioms. 1817 Pest German edition has four dialogues: Meeting, walking trip, eating, learning.

PELCL, František Martin/Franz Martin. Grundsätze der Böhmischen Grammatik

1795 and enlarged 1798 Prague edition - 13/19 dialogues and some idioms, highly valuable content quality-wise.

I will be leaving it off in 1800 for the time being, depth over width. It is still without question that even then, it will be necessary to draw from later sources, be it dialectology or books like Puchmayer’s 1821 Románi Čib, the dictionary of Romani language, with a comparison to the Czech argot. Also some decisively nonscientific works will be still highly valuable, especially the plebeian farces like Prokop Šedivý’s Butchers’ row.

Radetzky​

Radetzky

Count
Best answers
Dev diary 4: On the territorial ambitions

If your country’s borders don’t migrate all over the map every other decade, then it doesn’t belong to Europe.

The little conversational traffic – also in PMs – we got has mostly been focused on questions regarding state, nationality, national territory and so on, hence no better time to address it publicly and perhaps redefine some of the statements in this regard.

Since we don’t have ambitions to make the campaign map the size of a country, more so a chunk of a region, it should be no problem at all if the first (few) campaign map(s) will be, as written above, be placed within an ethnically Czech/mixed area, most likely starting with a subregion of Moravia I am most familiar with. And the core of this DD is to present our views on the cost-benefit ratio of adding other areas after this one, or after few of this kind. This at the same time is also an encouragement for potential contributors to point us towards sources we might have missed or help us in areas we are totally lost linguistically.

• Majority German-speaking areas, also known as the S-word.

Identical legislature, resources integrated in common websites. Field research and cultural history studies hampered by the exchange or otherwise of the nearly whole population (Czechs in 1938, Jews and Romani during the war and the G afterwards), redevelopment, industrialization and so on.

Verdict: Eventually very plausible if hand-picking the areas

• Mixed Czech-German-Polish (alphabetic order) areas of Czech Silesia.

Mostly same as above, industrialisation, lack of proficiency in Polish and regional legislature affect the rating. Hlučín not counted yet.

Verdict: Plausible

Slovakia, all of it

While definitely cordial to many aspects of the Slovak culture, there are several issues to this. Administration in Latin (barely) and eventually Hungarian (no pls), totally different legal systems (customary law) in the whole feasibly inclusive period, as well as some definite problems in the Royal Hungarian administration. An euphemism. As a cherry on top also very under-digitalised map sector (no “Stable/Franciscan” cadastre is what I am chiefly pointing at) and in case of actual digital sources, almost exclusively separate websites.

Verdict: Borderline (im)plausible, but Slovaks within Czechia will happen even if this fails, mark my words

Zakarpatia, ie. the piece of Ukraine that was in Hungary.

While it would be absolutely picturesque to foreshadow interwar Czechoslovakia of “basically cultural Germany” in the westernmost Aš panhandle and actual – Rusyn – Ukraine in the easternmost region, and the statics would be probably even easier to come by, the problems are identical with above, exacerbated by further lack of digitalisation.

Verdict: Implausible, as sad as is giving up on a comparatively safe shtetl

• The tiny irredentist claims

Hlučín area is very nearly the epitome of not worth it, being culturally “Moravian” but by state allegiance Prussian from 1742 to 1920, Valtice and other areas less nakedly obvious but with the format of our mod it’s not like we plan to cover the entire map and this should get us out of trouble with this one.

Verdict: Very implausible

• The w h o l e  of the K.u.K. monarchy, because AEIOU, Thalerhof never happened, Austrians behaved gently on the Balkan front and so on.

Verdict: Nope. Too many languages we don’t know, too many problems. Singular scenes (read 4km2 maximum) of hand-picked places not ruled out (Mozart’s Vienna, with about as much accuracy of the statics as in MS Train Sim).

This will be it for now, hope no feelings hurt with this one!

Kindly, the team

theFreak

Recruit
Best answers
This is a really interesting topic that's being developed here. I'm now extremely intrigued to see how it will evolve :grin:
Good luck !!!

Radetzky

Count
Best answers
Thank you for your kind words, we will do our utmost (of course from the position of being unfortunately but hopefully understandably secondary to my university assignments, got a backlog of some more DoY dev diaries roughly ready) to make it happen.

From a quick glance, perhaps these Francophone resources by the great Ernest Denis will be a good read (I liked the Czech translation) for you theFreak, the third book of the first volume and much of the second volume are directly relevant to our mod.
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k373941n/f1.image.texteImage
http://www.digitalniknihovna.cz/mzk/view/uuid:e2bf4690-fc8e-11e5-a3af-005056827e52?page=uuid:fe622970-4ab9-11e6-ad5e-5ef3fc9bb22f

Radetzky

Count
Best answers
Post on: Newspapers 1​

I'll unfortunately have to degrade dev diaries into less pompous posts due to RL time constraints for the time being, but I am sure you won't mind too much as it will ensure continuous flow of information.

I made an excel sheet detailing the availability of digitised newspapers, journals and magazines relevant for the era and place. As a sidenote, one of the big beefs I had when I seriously considered Victorian Britain (before unmasking the extent of the child labour and the boarding school system) was that there were like two genuine newspapers (Glasgow Herald and Teesdale fricking Mercury) that were digitised and not behind paywall.

I planned to have a short description to each of these newspapers right in this would-have-been-dev-diary, but the table itself will have to do today and I will write the descriptions in following posts. So far 1780-1800 is somewhat complete, if that word is even appropriate. Mostly because there always can be some obscure but relevant newspaper uploaded somewhere we were not aware of.

Also as a final note: What is this good for? Eventually hopefully actual newspapers ingame, to improve the replayability and immersion immensely. To make it sane, the irrelevant news might be in title-form only. Mind we are well aware of the various conflicting concerns and are taking it very seriously. On one hand the necessity to create some sort of framework, lest it turn into monastic translation of every newspaper issue, probably ca. 1780-1782 if optimistic. On the other hand the desire to bring local news, that are obscure especially outside of the home country, but oftentimes even here, to light. And thirdly the effect the world news had on locals (the reactions to the French revolution as an example), as well as the demonstration of access of even peasants to such distant news at all. Before that time, at least as periodic rumours and orally transmited news passing through.

ReconUHD

Recruit
Best answers
I really appreciate the linguistic sources.
I am excited for the bilingual (or trilingual) conversations this mod.

Radetzky

Count
Best answers
We are glad you agree, it is a feature that should be achieavable with relative ease and yet, we are the pioneers and the possibilities are limitless.

Post on: Baby steps in 2D art​

To start off, we'll be trying to get a Discord going, where you'll find us ready to satiate your curiosity regarding this perhaps slightly obscure setting, chat with us in general and much more. Created a cyphre as a channel symbol proposal:

Secondly, with the mindset that the mod will start in hopefully-somewhat-historical November 1780 and then in those 50? years is free to go somewhat off rail  but with definite determinism (unlike Hindu Vikings in CK2) also in say new building construction (mostly as a replacement for older structures, eventually hopefully something sort of a pre-made grid, MnB isn't that of a city sim after all), the conclusion being that we're trying to get that 1780 start as accurate as possible.

And to reach said goal (such as actual architecture models in their RL location) we are not shying away from dumbing down the art style much beyond what you might expect. Vide:
From left to right: My very early and more of a training drawing of a burgher house with all sorts of screwed up proportions but it is illustrative allright - the oldest
detailed depiction I was able to find, an 1860s photo with pressumably the same baroque facade - modern photo from Wikipedia, after a reconstruction in idk, 1890s vaguely.

Radetzky

Count
Best answers
Introduction on weather and culinary sources

Hello folks,

Sorry for the lackluster textual content, but for the time being, we'll be showing even more Excel tables:
The first one is illustrating the availability of weather sources. Some are actual scientific measurements (Klementinum and some of those within newspapers), some are textual descriptions (Rulík, Vavák, Švenda and in all likelihood others).

Why? It was touched on in the OP already, but the purpose is eventual recreation of historical climate conditions with some leeway for regional differences. BL should be pretty much set with some sort of ambience effects (the seasons), tying down meaningful actions to it would be the next task.

The possibly more impressive table, a non-exhaustive chronologic categorisation of 21 cookbooks contemporary to the era and wider region. Eventually links will be posted to all of these. Handwritten cookbooks, household manuals and similiar auxiliary literature not included at this moment.

Why? The goal is not to add the "crafting" of ten thousand recipes, but to map out food trends and regional, ethnic and class cuisines. Dishes "appropriate" to these categories would then be implemented starting with the basic BL-sword-crafting menu or something of the sort.

Kindly,
The team

Radetzky

Count
Best answers
Allright folks, time to finally deliver the sources en-masse.

Brünner Zeitung (various name modifications), the official-to-semi-official German newspaper of Moravia(-Silesia).
(you may click on English in the top right corner)
1778-1811
1811-1813
1814-1817
1818-1848

Latin yearly reports of the Brno grammar school

Journal for Freemasons (apparently different digitalisations)

Prague Czech news (yes I know the digitalisation site is ancient, ask if you need help), the not particularly succesful attempt to revive Czech-language newspaper after a hiatus that began in 1772. Led by František Kozury, full of neologisms and I am not even certain if it was actually published all the way to 1786 (I think one source mentioned it existing in 1785 at least however)

The Journal of Czech Academy of Science

A recent find is the Journal of the Imp. Roy. Economic-Patriotic Society of the Kingdom of Bohemia (in all likelihood, more issues will be found)
1805-1806

Schönfeld's Imp. Roy. Prague News, the more succesful Czech newspaper revival, with M. V. Kramerius, sort of Benjamin Franklin figure, as the chief editor. He eventually seceded to form his own newspaper due to the work enviroment (Schönfeld's tyrany anyway)

Kramerius's Imp. Roy. Patriotic News

Austrian Military Almanac (links in the right column), first of the various professional periodicals.
Alternate source:
1790-1803
1804-1808
1810-1814
1815-1868

This might be - enough - reading in mostly Blackletter German and Czech even (of course!), will be continued.

Last edited:

Radetzky

Count
Best answers
Alright folks, the new forums brought a couple of handy features, such as much simpler tables. This makes for an easier transfer of the dialogues and as such after a certain hiatus, here's again a showcase of actual development (if you can call it that in the circumstances of BL), rather than providing sources only. Includes some dialogue variants I already created ex nihilo, but not the various grammatical notes I made (which would clutter the forum tables, as they occupy yet more columns).

První rozmlouvání: Při potkání a ranním navštiveníFirst dialogue: Meeting one another and a morning visitErstes Gespräch: Bei Begegnung und morgiger Heimsuchung
Má služba.At your service.Dero Diener.
Šťasný dobrý jítro.Good morning.Guten Morgen.
Dobrý poledne.Good midday.Guten Mittag.
Dobrý večer.Good evening.Guten Abend.
Jejich služebník.At your service.Dero Diener.
Kterak spali?How was your sleep?Wie haben Sie geschlaffen?
Kterak odpočivali?How was your rest?Wie haben Sie geruhet?
Kterak se vynacházejí?How are you?Wie befinden Sie sich?
Kterak se vede?How are you?Wie gehet es?
Dle pohledu doufám, že dobře.Judging by the look, I hope well.Dem Ansehen nach, glaube ich, daß Sie sich wohlauf befinden.
Dle pohledu doufám, že dobře a vyborně.Judging by the look, I hope excelently.Dem Ansehen nach, glaube ich, daß Sie sich wohlauf befinden.
Jsou vždycky zdravý?Are you healthy at all times?Sind Sie allzeit gesund?
K službám, díky bohu!Indeed, thank god.Zu dienen, dem höchsten gedankt!
Jak se líbí viděti.As you may see.Wie Sie zu sehen belieben.
Velmi dobře, výborně.Very well, excellently.Gar wohl, recht auserlesen.
Výborně.Excellently.Recht auserlesen.
Velmi dobře.Very well.Gar wohl.
Tak, tak.So-so.So, so.
Nehrubě.Not particularly well.Nicht gar wohl.
Polovičně.Halfway there.Halb und halb.
Od nejakého času jsem všechen churavý.Since some time I am all ill.Von einiger Zeit her bin ich ganz unpässlich.
Od nejakého času jsem všechen nemocný.Since some time I am all ill.Von einiger Zeit her bin ich ganz krank.
Těší mě velice, že čest mám je spatřiti při dobrém a stálém vynacházení.I am pleased to have the honour of seeing you well.Mich erfreuet überaus, daß ich die Ehre habe, ihnen zu sehen bei gutem und stetem Wohlsein.
Uctivě děkuji za takové upamatování a že sobě tu nesnázi vzíti oblíbili, mě navštiviti a o mé vynacházení peči míti.Thank you for your thoughts and the bother to visit me and concern with my well-being.Ich danke höflich für solches Andenken, daß Sie mich heimzusuchen die Mühe genommen und meines Aufseins wegen Sorge getragen.
Jsem nekonečně zavázán z té zdvořilosti.I am indebted for such courtesy.Ich bleibe ohnendlich verbunden für diese Höflichkeit.
Nic na světě mě více netěší, jako když vidím, že mojí dobří přátele zdraví jsou.Nothing in the world pleases me as much, as knowing that my friends are well.Mich freuet auf der Welt nichts mehrer, als wann ich sehe, daß meine gute Freunde wohlauf sind.
Přál bych sobě v tom počtu býti.I would like to count amongst them.Ich wünschete in dieser Zahl zu sein.
Přál bych sobě v tom počtu býti.I would like to count amongst them.Ich wünschete mir in dieser Zahl zu sein.
Kterak se vede jejich pánu otci?How is your father?Wie gehet es dero Herrn Vatter?
Kterak se vede jejich [paní] matce?How is your mother?Mutter
Kterak se vede jejich bratrovi/bratrům (a) sestře/sestrám?How is your brother and sister?Bruder und Schwestern
Až dosavád dobře a výborně.As of now very well.Bis anhero recht wohl.
Jeho zdraví jest mně tak milé, jako moje vlastní.His health is so dear to me, like my own.Seine Gesundheit ist mir so lieb, als meine eigene.
Předešlý dni poněkud churavý byl.Last few days he was somewhat ill.Die verwichene Täge ist er einigermassen nicht wohlauf gewesen.
Nyni však nicmeně zase se polepšilo.But now he is feeling better.Jetzt aber hat es sich mit ihme wiederum gebessert.
Bude ho velice těšiti, jestliže ho navštivějí.He will be very pleased if you visit him.Es wird ihme sehr erfreuen, falls Sie ihn heimsuchen werden.
Bude nekonečně potěšen z jejich spatření.He will be very pleased to see you.Er wird ohnendlich erfreuet werden von wegen dero Ersehung.
Dnes ale nemám kdy jej navštiviti.I do not have time to visit him today.Heut aber habe ich nicht Zeit ihm zu besuchen.
Kam pujdou?Where will you go?Wo werden Sie hin gehen?
K pánu učiteli právnimu.To the doctor of law.Zum Herrn Doktor deren Rechten.
Jaky zanepráždnění mají?What sort of business do you have?Was für Geschäften haben Sie?
Musím jíti na mnoho míst.I must go to many places.Ich muß an viele Örter gehen.
Jdu zde na blízce k dobrému příteli.I am going to a good friend nearby.Ich gehe hier in der Nähe zu einem guten Freund.
Do který ulice?In which street?In welcher Gasse?
V který ulici zustává?In which street does he live?In welcher Gasse wohnet er?
Tuhle nedaleko.Here nearby.Dahier ohnweit.
S čim pak jsou vždycky zanepráždněny?With what are you busy all the time?Mit was sind Sie dann allzeit beschäftiget?
S čim pak jsou vždycky zanepráždněny?With what are you busy all the time?Mit was sind Sie dann allzeit verhindert?
Co maji vždycky k řízení?What do you have for errands all the time?Was haben Sie allzeit zu besorgen?
Zdaž pak ani nevycházejí, že nikdy přiležitost nejni je spatřiti?Do you not even go out, that there's no opportunity to see you?Geben Sie dann weder aus, daß niemahlen die Gelegenheit sich füge, ihnen zu sehen.
Dost často vycházím, víc než-li potřebno jest.I go out frequently enough, more than is necessary.Ich gehe oft genug aus, mehr als nötig ist.
V samý pilnosti zahloubený býti musejí, že ani k spatření nejsou.You must be absorbed in your diligence, that you are not to be seen.Sie müssen in lauter Fleiß vertieft sein, daß Sie weder im Vorschein kommen.
Velice dobré mínění o mně mají, ale nepřejímám se tak mnoho.You have very good opinion of me, but I do not overstrain myself so much.Sie haben sehr gute Meinung von mir, aber ich übernehme mich nicht in so weit.
Nečiním sobě násilu.I don't force myself.Ich tue mir kein Gewalt an.
Kterak ale přichází, že sobě přátel svých tak málo vážejí?But how come, that you value your friends so little?Wie kommt es aber, daß Sie dero Freunde so wenig achten?
Nevím, co skrze to řícti minějí.I do not know what you mean by that.Ich weis nicht, was Sie hiedurch zu sagen vermeinen.
Žádám, by mně to vysvětlili.I demand an explanation.Ich bitte, Sie wollen mir dieses erleutern.
To jest, že tak zřídka k nám přicházejí.That is, that you visit us so infrequently.Das ist, daß Sie so selten zu uns kommen.
V tom chybu mou uznávám.I admit my fault in that.In deme erkenne ich meinen Fehler.
Ale čas nepříjemný v tom příčinou jest.But unpleasant weather is the cause.Aber das unangenehme Wetter ist hieran Schuld.
Ale čas nepříjemný v tom příčina jest.But unpleasant weather is the cause.Aber das unangenehme Wetter ist hieran Schuld.
Budoucně povinost mojí lepe v pozornost vezmu.In the future I will take better notice of my duties.Führohin werde ich meine Schuldigkeit besser in acht nehmen.
Tu budeme vážiti jakožto nezaslouženou náchylnost.We will value that as an undeserved goodwill.Wir werden dieselbe als eine unverdiente Gewogenheit achten.
Ale nelíbí se jim vstoupiti?But would you not like to enter?Aber beliebt ihnen nicht herein zu gehen?
Nejni přiležito na okamžení nahoru jíti?Is there not a possibility for you to go upstairs for a little while?Ist's nicht gelegen, auf einen Augenblick hinauf zu gehen?
Ať odpustějí, nemohu tenkrat se zdržeti.Excuse me, I cannot delay myself at the moment.Sie vergeben, dermalen kann ich mich nicht aufhalten.
Velmi, jak vidím, pospichají.I am in a hurry, as you may see.Dem Ansehen nach, eilen Sie sehr.
Ja jsem jedině přišel, bych spatřil, kterak se mají.I only came to see how do you do.Ich bin einzig allein gekommen, um zu sehen, wie Sie sich befinden.
Zbohem, až na zase spatření.Goodbye, see you again.Gott behüte Sie, bis aufs wiedersehen.
Zbohem.Goodbye.Gott behüte Sie, bis aufs wiedersehen.
Nechci dýle zdržovati, bych nezanepráždnil.I don't want to hinder you any longer, so as not to keep you busy.Ich will nicht länger aufhalten, damit ich nicht verhinderlich sein möchte.
A ja tim spusobem, neb duležitosti moje mě volají.Same, for work requires me.Und ich ingleichen, dann meine Geschäften rufen mir.
Líbám ruce a zustávám jejich věrnoupřimný služebníkI kiss you hand and stay your true and faithful servantIch küsse die Hand und verbleibe dero treu-aufrichtiger Diener.
Líbám ruce a zustávám jejich upřimný služebníkI kiss you hand and stay your true servantIch küsse die Hand und verbleibe dero treuer Diener.
Líbám ruce a zustávám jejich věrný služebníkI kiss you hand and stay your faithful servantIch küsse die Hand und verbleibe dero aufrichtiger Diener.
Líbám ruce a zustávám jejich služebníkI kiss you hand and stay your servantIch küsse die Hand und verbleibe dero Diener.
Líbám ruce a zustávám jejich věrnoupřimný služebníkI kiss you hands and stay your true and faithful servantIch küsse die Hände und verbleibe dero treu-aufrichtiger Diener.

Druhé rozmlouváníSecond dialogueZweites Gespräch
Kde jest váš pán?Where is your master?Wo ist euer Herr?
Kde jest jeho pán?Where is your master?Wo ist sein Herr?
V pokoji.In the room.In dem Zimmer.
Vstal již, neb ne?Has he risen up already or not?Ist er schon auf, oder nicht?
Ještě ne, tolik, co vím.Not yet as far as I know.Nein, noch nicht, so viel ich weiß.
Řekněte mu, že jsem zde, že jsem přišel dobrý jítro dáti.Tell him, that I am here and would like to wish him good morning.Saget ihm, daß ich hier seie und kommen wäre, ihme einen guten Morgen zu geben.
Řekněte mu, že jsem zde.Tell him, that I am here.Saget ihm, daß ich hier seie.
Řekněte mu, že jsem přišel dobrý jítro dáti.Tell him, that I came to wish him good morning.Saget ihm, daß ich kommen wäre, ihme einen guten Morgen zu geben.
Řict mu, že jsem zde, že jsem přišel dobrý jítro dáti.Tell him, that I am here and would like to wish him good morning.Sage er ihme, daß ich hier seie und kommen wäre, ihme einen guten Morgen zu geben.
Řict mu, že jsem zde.Tell him, that I am here.Sage er ihme, daß ich hier seie.
Řict mu, že jsem přišel dobrý jítro dáti.Tell him, that I came to wish him good morning.Sage er ihme, daß ich kommen wäre, ihme einen guten Morgen zu geben.
Vyřidím mu to ihned.I will relay it immediatelly.Ich werde es ihme alsogleich ausrichten.
Co praví jeho pán?What does your master say.Was sagt sein Herr?
Žádá, by vstoupili.He demands you enter.Er verlanget, Sie möchten hinein kommen.
V kterým pokoji se vynachází?In which room is he located?In welchem Zimmer befindet er sich?
V tomhle.In this one.In diesem da.
Jejich služebník, ma ponížena služba.At your service.Dero Diener.
Pěkně vítám.Welcome.Schön willkommen.
Vezmou sobě stolici.Take a seat.Nehmen Sie sich einen Stuhl.
Posadějí se.Sit down.Setzen Sie sich nieder.
Ať se posadějí.Sit down.Setzen Sie sich nieder.
Ať sednou.Sit down.Setzen Sie sich nieder.
Nejsem unavený.I am not tired.Ich bin nicht müde.
Odložejí plašť.Take off your coatLegen Sie ab den Mantel.
Ať se líbí odložiti.You may unrobe.Belieben Sie abzulegen.
Děkuji, neobtěžuje mě.Thank you, it bothers me not.Ich danke, er beschweret mich nicht.
Líto jest mně, že se pro mě tak obtěžují.I am sorry, that you bother for me so much.Mir ist leid, daß Sie sich meinetwegen so beschweren.
Líto jest mně, že se pro mě tak obtěžujou.I am sorry, that you bother for me so much.Mir ist leid, daß Sie sich meinetwegen so beschweren.
Ale jsou oni až posavád v posteli?But are you still in bed?Aber sind Sie noch im Bett?
Divějí se tomu?Are you surprised?Verwundern Sie sich darüber?
Kdož by se nedivil, když tak pozdě jest.Who wouldn't when it's so late.Wer möcht sich nicht verwundern, wann es so spät ist.
Kolik hodin pak jest?How much is it then?Wie viel Uhr ist es dann?
Nemuže byti přes sedum.It can't be more than 7 o'clock.Es kann nicht über sieben Uhr sein.
Co sedum? Devět hodin již odbilo a jde na desátou.What, 7? The clock stroke 9 o'clock already and it's coming to 10.Was siebene? Neun Uhr hat es schon geschlagen und gehet auf zehne los.
To nejni možna.That's not possible.Das ist nicht möglich.
Nejni jináč, podivají se na hodinky.It's not otherwise, look at the clock.Ist nicht anders, sehen Sie auf die Uhr.
Již hodna chvíle jest, co devět odbilo.It's already a while since it stroke 9.Es ist schon eine gute Weile, daß es neune geschlagen.
Věru hle! Nemyslil jsem, že by tak pozdě bylo.Truly so! I didn't think it could be so late.Fürwahr! Ich habe nicht geglaubt, daß es so spät wäre.
Ale mohlo by se řícti, že drobet lenivý jsou.But it could be said, you are bit lazy.Aber man könte sagen, daß Sie ein wenig faul sind.
Aneb bych se nepodřekl, že rád spějí.Or so that I wouldn't let out, that you like to sleep.Oder, daß ich mich nicht verrede, daß Sie gerne schlaffen.
Když se jde pozdě spat, nemuže se časně vstávati.When one goes to sleep late, it's not possible to rise up early.Wann man spät schlaffen gehet, kann man nicht zeitlich aufstehen.
Včera na večer jsem byl velmi pozdě zdržen.Yesterday at evening I was detained till very late.Gestern auf den Abend bin ich sehr spät schlaffen gegangen.
Kdo byl u ních?Who was at your place?Wer ware bei ihnen?
Pán N.Mr. N.Der Herr N.
Co dělali?What did you do?Was haben Sie getan?
Jedli, pili a hrali jsme až do dvanácti.Ate, drunk and played till 12 o'clock.Wir haben gespeiset, getrunken und gespielet bis um zwölfe.
Jedli, pili a hrali jsme až do půlnoci.Ate, drunk and played till midnight.Wir haben gespeiset, getrunken und gespielet bis um Mitternacht.
Odpustějí mně tehdy, právo mají, neb jsem nevěděl, že tak pozdě se položili.Excuse me then, you have the right then, for I didn't know you went to bed so late.Verzeihen Sie mir demnach. Sie haben recht, dann ich hab nicht gewußt, daß Sie sich so spät niedergeleget.

Jakube! Kde jste?Jacob! Where are you?Jacob! Wo seid ihr?
Milostpane! Co ráčejí poroučeti?Sir, what are your orders?Euer Gnaden! Was beliebt zu befehlen?
Milostpane! Co se líbí poroučeti?Sir, what are your orders?Euer Gnaden! Was beliebt zu befehlen?
Jevnostpane! Co ráčejí poroučeti?Sir, what are your orders?Euer Gnaden! Was beliebt zu befehlen?
Jevnostpane! Co se líbí poroučeti?Sir, what are your orders?Euer Gnaden! Was beliebt zu befehlen?
Tu jsem.Here I am.Hier bin ich.
Vzhůru, staňte brzy a poďte sem.Get up quickly and come here.Auf! Stehet auf geschwind und kommet her.
Oblekněte mě.Cloth me.Leget mich an.
Nejprv ale podejte mně košili.But first give me my shirt.Erstens aber langet mir das Hemd(e).
Vohřejte jí, ať jest tepla.Warm it up.Wärmet es, daß es warm seie.
Kterou račejí poroučeti?Which one do you order?Welches geruhen Euer Gnaden zu befehlen?
Tu s krátkými vokroužkami?The one with the short cuffs?Das mit kurzen Tätzeln?
Jednu z těch ještě nepraných?One from those not yet washed?Eines von denen noch ungewaschenen?
Jednu z té nové dvanáctky?One from the new dozen?Eines aus dem neuen Dutzend?
Nejni žádna před rukami.There's none at hand.Es ist keines beihändig.
Jsou v prádle.They are in the laundrySie sind in der Wäsch.
Jsou u pradlí.They are at the laundress.Sie sind bei der Wäscherin.
Jsou u švadlí.They are at the tailoress.Sie sind bei der Näherin.
Jsou větším dílem ušpiněny.They are largely dirty.Sie sind mehreren Teils schmutzig.
Zdeť jedna jest s krajky.Here is one with lace.Hier ist eines mit Spitzen.
Podejte tehdy tu, ktera při ruce jest, jenom brzy.Give me the one that is close by then, but hurry.Langet also dieses welches beihändig ist, nur geschwind.

Edit: Grammar and phrasing.

Last edited:

Eärendil the Mariner

Subforum Moderator
WBWF&SM&B
Best answers
Alright folks, the new forums brought a couple of handy features, such as much simpler tables. This makes for an easier transfer of the dialogues and as such after a certain hiatus, here's again a showcase of actual development (if you can call it that in the circumstances of BL), rather than providing sources only. Includes some dialogue variants I already created ex nihilo, but not the various grammatical notes I made (which would clutter the forum tables, as they occupy yet more columns).

První rozmlouvání: Při potkání a ranním navštiveníFirst dialogue: Meeting one another and a morning visitErstes Gespräch: Bei Begegnung und morgiger Heimsuchung
Má služba.At your service.Dero Diener.
Šťasný dobrý jítro.Good morning.Guten Morgen.
Dobrý poledne.Good midday.Guten Mittag.
Dobrý večer.Good evening.Guten Abend.
Jejich služebník.At your service.Dero Diener.
Kterak spali?How was your sleep?Wie haben Sie geschlaffen?
Kterak odpočivali?How was your rest?Wie haben Sie geruhet?
Kterak se vynacházejí?How are you?Wie befinden Sie sich?
Kterak se vede?How are you?Wie gehet es?
Dle pohledu doufám, že dobře.Judging by the look, I hope well.Dem Ansehen nach, glaube ich, daß Sie sich wohlauf befinden.
Dle pohledu doufám, že dobře a vyborně.Judging by the look, I hope excelently.Dem Ansehen nach, glaube ich, daß Sie sich wohlauf befinden.
Jsou vždycky zdravý?Are you healthy at all times?Sind Sie allzeit gesund?
K službám, díky bohu!Indeed, thank god.Zu dienen, dem höchsten gedankt!
Jak se líbí viděti.As you may see.Wie Sie zu sehen belieben.
Velmi dobře, výborně.Very well, excellently.Gar wohl, recht auserlesen.
Výborně.Excellently.Recht auserlesen.
Velmi dobře.Very well.Gar wohl.
Tak, tak.So-so.So, so.
Nehrubě.Not particularly well.Nicht gar wohl.
Polovičně.Halfway there.Halb und halb.
Od nejakého času jsem všechen churavý.Since some time I am all ill.Von einiger Zeit her bin ich ganz unpässlich.
Od nejakého času jsem všechen nemocný.Since some time I am all ill.Von einiger Zeit her bin ich ganz krank.
Těší mě velice, že čest mám je spatřiti při dobrém a stálém vynacházení.I am pleased to have the honour of seeing you well.Mich erfreuet überaus, daß ich die Ehre habe, ihnen zu sehen bei gutem und stetem Wohlsein.
Uctivě děkuji za takové upamatování a že sobě tu nesnázi vzíti oblíbili, mě navštiviti a o mé vynacházení peči míti.Thank you for your thoughts and the bother to visit me and concern with my well-being.Ich danke höflich für solches Andenken, daß Sie mich heimzusuchen die Mühe genommen und meines Aufseins wegen Sorge getragen.
Jsem nekonečně zavázán z té zdvořilosti.I am indebted for such courtesy.Ich bleibe ohnendlich verbunden für diese Höflichkeit.
Nic na světě mě více netěší, jako když vidím, že mojí dobří přátele zdraví jsou.Nothing in the world pleases me as much, as knowing that my friends are well.Mich freuet auf der Welt nichts mehrer, als wann ich sehe, daß meine gute Freunde wohlauf sind.
Přál bych sobě v tom počtu býti.I would like to count amongst them.Ich wünschete in dieser Zahl zu sein.
Přál bych sobě v tom počtu býti.I would like to count amongst them.Ich wünschete mir in dieser Zahl zu sein.
Kterak se vede jejich pánu otci?How is your father?Wie gehet es dero Herrn Vatter?
Kterak se vede jejich [paní] matce?How is your mother?Mutter
Kterak se vede jejich bratrovi/bratrům (a) sestře/sestrám?How is your brother and sister?Bruder und Schwestern
Až dosavád dobře a výborně.As of now very well.Bis anhero recht wohl.
Jeho zdraví jest mně tak milé, jako moje vlastní.His health is so dear to me, like my own.Seine Gesundheit ist mir so lieb, als meine eigene.
Předešlý dni poněkud churavý byl.Last few days he was somewhat ill.Die verwichene Täge ist er einigermassen nicht wohlauf gewesen.
Nyni však nicmeně zase se polepšilo.But now he is feeling better.Jetzt aber hat es sich mit ihme wiederum gebessert.
Bude ho velice těšiti, jestliže ho navštivějí.He will be very pleased if you visit him.Es wird ihme sehr erfreuen, falls Sie ihn heimsuchen werden.
Bude nekonečně potěšen z jejich spatření.He will be very pleased to see you.Er wird ohnendlich erfreuet werden von wegen dero Ersehung.
Dnes ale nemám kdy jej navštiviti.I do not have time to visit him today.Heut aber habe ich nicht Zeit ihm zu besuchen.
Kam pujdou?Where will you go?Wo werden Sie hin gehen?
K pánu učiteli právnimu.To the doctor of law.Zum Herrn Doktor deren Rechten.
Jaky zanepráždnění mají?What sort of business do you have?Was für Geschäften haben Sie?
Musím jíti na mnoho míst.I must go to many places.Ich muß an viele Örter gehen.
Jdu zde na blízce k dobrému příteli.I am going to a good friend nearby.Ich gehe hier in der Nähe zu einem guten Freund.
Do který ulice?In which street?In welcher Gasse?
V který ulici zustává?In which street does he live?In welcher Gasse wohnet er?
Tuhle nedaleko.Here nearby.Dahier ohnweit.
S čim pak jsou vždycky zanepráždněny?With what are you busy all the time?Mit was sind Sie dann allzeit beschäftiget?
S čim pak jsou vždycky zanepráždněny?With what are you busy all the time?Mit was sind Sie dann allzeit verhindert?
Co maji vždycky k řízení?What do you have for errands all the time?Was haben Sie allzeit zu besorgen?
Zdaž pak ani nevycházejí, že nikdy přiležitost nejni je spatřiti?Do you not even go out, that there's no opportunity to see you?Geben Sie dann weder aus, daß niemahlen die Gelegenheit sich füge, ihnen zu sehen.
Dost často vycházím, víc než-li potřebno jest.I go out frequently enough, more than is necessary.Ich gehe oft genug aus, mehr als nötig ist.
V samý pilnosti zahloubený býti musejí, že ani k spatření nejsou.You must be absorbed in your diligence, that you are not to be seen.Sie müssen in lauter Fleiß vertieft sein, daß Sie weder im Vorschein kommen.
Velice dobré mínění o mně mají, ale nepřejímám se tak mnoho.You have very good opinion of me, but I do not overstrain myself so much.Sie haben sehr gute Meinung von mir, aber ich übernehme mich nicht in so weit.
Nečiním sobě násilu.I don't force myself.Ich tue mir kein Gewalt an.
Kterak ale přichází, že sobě přátel svých tak málo vážejí?But how come, that you value your friends so little?Wie kommt es aber, daß Sie dero Freunde so wenig achten?
Nevím, co skrze to řícti minějí.I do not know what you mean by that.Ich weis nicht, was Sie hiedurch zu sagen vermeinen.
Žádám, by mně to vysvětlili.I demand an explanation.Ich bitte, Sie wollen mir dieses erleutern.
To jest, že tak zřídka k nám přicházejí.That is, that you visit us so infrequently.Das ist, daß Sie so selten zu uns kommen.
V tom chybu mou uznávám.I admit my fault in that.In deme erkenne ich meinen Fehler.
Ale čas nepříjemný v tom příčinou jest.But unpleasant weather is the cause.Aber das unangenehme Wetter ist hieran Schuld.
Ale čas nepříjemný v tom příčina jest.But unpleasant weather is the cause.Aber das unangenehme Wetter ist hieran Schuld.
Budoucně povinost mojí lepe v pozornost vezmu.In the future I will take better notice of my duties.Führohin werde ich meine Schuldigkeit besser in acht nehmen.
Tu budeme vážiti jakožto nezaslouženou náchylnost.We will value that as an undeserved goodwill.Wir werden dieselbe als eine unverdiente Gewogenheit achten.
Ale nelíbí se jim vstoupiti?But would you not like to enter?Aber beliebt ihnen nicht herein zu gehen?
Nejni přiležito na okamžení nahoru jíti?Is there not a possibility for you to go upstairs for a little while?Ist's nicht gelegen, auf einen Augenblick hinauf zu gehen?
Ať odpustějí, nemohu tenkrat se zdržeti.Excuse me, I cannot delay myself at the moment.Sie vergeben, dermalen kann ich mich nicht aufhalten.
Velmi, jak vidím, pospichají.I am in a hurry, as you may see.Dem Ansehen nach, eilen Sie sehr.
Ja jsem jedině přišel, bych spatřil, kterak se mají.I only came to see how do you do.Ich bin einzig allein gekommen, um zu sehen, wie Sie sich befinden.
Zbohem, až na zase spatření.Goodbye, see you again.Gott behüte Sie, bis aufs wiedersehen.
Zbohem.Goodbye.Gott behüte Sie, bis aufs wiedersehen.
Nechci dýle zdržovati, bych nezanepráždnil.I don't want to hinder you any longer, so as not to keep you busy.Ich will nicht länger aufhalten, damit ich nicht verhinderlich sein möchte.
A ja tim spusobem, neb duležitosti moje mě volají.Same, for work requires me.Und ich ingleichen, dann meine Geschäften rufen mir.
Líbám ruce a zustávám jejich věrnoupřimný služebníkI kiss you hand and stay your true and faithful servantIch küsse die Hand und verbleibe dero treu-aufrichtiger Diener.
Líbám ruce a zustávám jejich upřimný služebníkI kiss you hand and stay your true servantIch küsse die Hand und verbleibe dero treuer Diener.
Líbám ruce a zustávám jejich věrný služebníkI kiss you hand and stay your faithful servantIch küsse die Hand und verbleibe dero aufrichtiger Diener.
Líbám ruce a zustávám jejich služebníkI kiss you hand and stay your servantIch küsse die Hand und verbleibe dero Diener.
Líbám ruce a zustávám jejich věrnoupřimný služebníkI kiss you hands and stay your true and faithful servantIch küsse die Hände und verbleibe dero treu-aufrichtiger Diener.

Druhé rozmlouváníSecond dialogueZweites Gespräch
Kde jest váš pán?Where is your master?Wo ist euer Herr?
Kde jest jeho pán?Where is your master?Wo ist sein Herr?
V pokoji.In the room.In dem Zimmer.
Vstal již, neb ne?Has he risen up already or not?Ist er schon auf, oder nicht?
Ještě ne, tolik, co vím.Not yet as far as I know.Nein, noch nicht, so viel ich weiß.
Řekněte mu, že jsem zde, že jsem přišel dobrý jítro dáti.Tell him, that I am here and would like to wish him good morning.Saget ihm, daß ich hier seie und kommen wäre, ihme einen guten Morgen zu geben.
Řekněte mu, že jsem zde.Tell him, that I am here.Saget ihm, daß ich hier seie.
Řekněte mu, že jsem přišel dobrý jítro dáti.Tell him, that I came to wish him good morning.Saget ihm, daß ich kommen wäre, ihme einen guten Morgen zu geben.
Řict mu, že jsem zde, že jsem přišel dobrý jítro dáti.Tell him, that I am here and would like to wish him good morning.Sage er ihme, daß ich hier seie und kommen wäre, ihme einen guten Morgen zu geben.
Řict mu, že jsem zde.Tell him, that I am here.Sage er ihme, daß ich hier seie.
Řict mu, že jsem přišel dobrý jítro dáti.Tell him, that I came to wish him good morning.Sage er ihme, daß ich kommen wäre, ihme einen guten Morgen zu geben.
Vyřidím mu to ihned.I will relay it immediatelly.Ich werde es ihme alsogleich ausrichten.
Co praví jeho pán?What does your master say.Was sagt sein Herr?
Žádá, by vstoupili.He demands you enter.Er verlanget, Sie möchten hinein kommen.
V kterým pokoji se vynachází?In which room is he located?In welchem Zimmer befindet er sich?
V tomhle.In this one.In diesem da.
Jejich služebník, ma ponížena služba.At your service.Dero Diener.
Pěkně vítám.Welcome.Schön willkommen.
Vezmou sobě stolici.Take a seat.Nehmen Sie sich einen Stuhl.
Posadějí se.Sit down.Setzen Sie sich nieder.
Ať se posadějí.Sit down.Setzen Sie sich nieder.
Ať sednou.Sit down.Setzen Sie sich nieder.
Nejsem unavený.I am not tired.Ich bin nicht müde.
Odložejí plašť.Take off your coatLegen Sie ab den Mantel.
Ať se líbí odložiti.You may unrobe.Belieben Sie abzulegen.
Děkuji, neobtěžuje mě.Thank you, it bothers me not.Ich danke, er beschweret mich nicht.
Líto jest mně, že se pro mě tak obtěžují.I am sorry, that you bother for me so much.Mir ist leid, daß Sie sich meinetwegen so beschweren.
Líto jest mně, že se pro mě tak obtěžujou.I am sorry, that you bother for me so much.Mir ist leid, daß Sie sich meinetwegen so beschweren.
Ale jsou oni až posavád v posteli?But are you still in bed?Aber sind Sie noch im Bett?
Divějí se tomu?Are you surprised?Verwundern Sie sich darüber?
Kdož by se nedivil, když tak pozdě jest.Who wouldn't when it's so late.Wer möcht sich nicht verwundern, wann es so spät ist.
Kolik hodin pak jest?How much is it then?Wie viel Uhr ist es dann?
Nemuže byti přes sedum.It can't be more than 7 o'clock.Es kann nicht über sieben Uhr sein.
Co sedum? Devět hodin již odbilo a jde na desátou.What, 7? The clock stroke 9 o'clock already and it's coming to 10.Was siebene? Neun Uhr hat es schon geschlagen und gehet auf zehne los.
To nejni možna.That's not possible.Das ist nicht möglich.
Nejni jináč, podivají se na hodinky.It's not otherwise, look at the clock.Ist nicht anders, sehen Sie auf die Uhr.
Již hodna chvíle jest, co devět odbilo.It's already a while since it stroke 9.Es ist schon eine gute Weile, daß es neune geschlagen.
Věru hle! Nemyslil jsem, že by tak pozdě bylo.Truly so! I didn't think it could be so late.Fürwahr! Ich habe nicht geglaubt, daß es so spät wäre.
Ale mohlo by se řícti, že drobet lenivý jsou.But it could be said, you are bit lazy.Aber man könte sagen, daß Sie ein wenig faul sind.
Aneb bych se nepodřekl, že rád spějí.Or so that I wouldn't let out, that you like to sleep.Oder, daß ich mich nicht verrede, daß Sie gerne schlaffen.
Když se jde pozdě spat, nemuže se časně vstávati.When one goes to sleep late, it's not possible to rise up early.Wann man spät schlaffen gehet, kann man nicht zeitlich aufstehen.
Včera na večer jsem byl velmi pozdě zdržen.Yesterday at evening I was detained till very late.Gestern auf den Abend bin ich sehr spät schlaffen gegangen.
Kdo byl u ních?Who was at your place?Wer ware bei ihnen?
Pán N.Mr. N.Der Herr N.
Co dělali?What did you do?Was haben Sie getan?
Jedli, pili a hrali jsme až do dvanácti.Ate, drunk and played till 12 o'clock.Wir haben gespeiset, getrunken und gespielet bis um zwölfe.
Jedli, pili a hrali jsme až do půlnoci.Ate, drunk and played till midnight.Wir haben gespeiset, getrunken und gespielet bis um Mitternacht.
Odpustějí mně tehdy, právo mají, neb jsem nevěděl, že tak pozdě se položili.Excuse me then, you have the right then, for I didn't know you went to bed so late.Verzeihen Sie mir demnach. Sie haben recht, dann ich hab nicht gewußt, daß Sie sich so spät niedergeleget.

Jakube! Kde jste?Jacob! Where are you?Jacob! Wo seid ihr?
Milostpane! Co ráčejí poroučeti?Sir, what are your orders?Euer Gnaden! Was beliebt zu befehlen?
Milostpane! Co se líbí poroučeti?Sir, what are your orders?Euer Gnaden! Was beliebt zu befehlen?
Jevnostpane! Co ráčejí poroučeti?Sir, what are your orders?Euer Gnaden! Was beliebt zu befehlen?
Jevnostpane! Co se líbí poroučeti?Sir, what are your orders?Euer Gnaden! Was beliebt zu befehlen?
Tu jsem.Here I am.Hier bin ich.
Vzhůru, staňte brzy a poďte sem.Get up quickly and come here.Auf! Stehet auf geschwind und kommet her.
Oblekněte mě.Cloth me.Leget mich an.
Nejprv ale podejte mně košili.But first give me my shirt.Erstens aber langet mir das Hemd(e).
Vohřejte jí, ať jest tepla.Warm it up.Wärmet es, daß es warm seie.
Kterou račejí poroučeti?Which one do you order?Welches geruhen Euer Gnaden zu befehlen?
Tu s krátkými vokroužkami?The one with the short cuffs?Das mit kurzen Tätzeln?
Jednu z těch ještě nepraných?One from those not yet washed?Eines von denen noch ungewaschenen?
Jednu z té nové dvanáctky?One from the new dozen?Eines aus dem neuen Dutzend?
Nejni žádna před rukami.There's none at hand.Es ist keines beihändig.
Jsou v prádle.They are in the laundrySie sind in der Wäsch.
Jsou u pradlí.They are at the laundress.Sie sind bei der Wäscherin.
Jsou u švadlí.They are at the tailoress.Sie sind bei der Näherin.
Jsou větším dílem ušpiněny.They are largely dirty.Sie sind mehreren Teils schmutzig.
Zdeť jedna jest s krajky.Here is one with lace.Hier ist eines mit Spitzen.
Podejte tehdy tu, ktera při ruce jest, jenom brzy.Give me the one that is close by then, but hurry.Langet also dieses welches beihändig ist, nur geschwind.

Edit: Grammar and phrasing.
Some parts of the german translation are irritating, I am only not sure if you want to imitate a specific style of language before going on to correct some...

Radetzky

Count
Best answers
Some parts of the german translation are irritating, I am only not sure if you want to imitate a specific style of language before going on to correct some...
Well it is somewhat "irritating" in Czech as well, but those are after all conversations of people of 250 years ago, at least as the grammarian made them. And actually given his Czech neologisms in other works (themselves written mostly in German, as was the general custom of the first phase of the Czech national revival), we suspect Pohl was more immersed in the Austro-German linguistic culture anyway during his lifelong Vienna lecturing. As you may imagine it is not really possible to countercheck the speaking habits of the period beyond some basic quantitative analysis of usage.

So we did not translate nor imitate any style, we just transcribed pieces of 1756-64 dialogues from Fraktur and corrected spelling per the guidelines in Dev Diary 1.

All of the dialogues will be sourced like that, only modified in necessity rather than created. In the last post I might have phrased the ex nihilo variants unclearly. I meant creating new variants by removing or modifying parts of the sentence, like the five variants of Ich küsse die Hand. Perhaps redundant, but are they? Won't the exchangeable variety prevent the memey same Skyrim-tier replies? Please keep in mind the above corpus is largely a formal dialogue, the vernacular should be more down to earth and in some aspects more "modern".

I think once we get to works from 1780s onwards (ie. Pohl would be old people's talk to an extent), the language will be getting less "irritating", but feel free to point out anything.