Dating Thread, v. II

Users who are viewing this thread

"Let's wait and see" and "it's just fun, so I'll do it half-assedly" won't cut it, soldier. Think of it as a job - you need to do it well if you want results and that starts with a good self-presentation on your profile (you Americans know all about its importance) and continues with active pinging of prospects. There's a lot of "how to" resources on the internet and all you need is to google for tips. You are right about time and dedication.
Only good looking young people can afford to be casual and still get good response. (I remember that time fondly. :smile:)

Good thinking about the premium stuff, the freeloaders are algorithmed out of the good prospects.

And good luck, of course. This is not easy and it only gets harder if you wait too much.

Last edited:
The appeal of Tinder and its clones was that there is no uninvited messaging. The dating sites I've seen nowadays suffer heavily from the horny man brigade spamming everyone.

And good luck, of course. This is not easy and it only gets harder if you wait too much.
Thanks.

The appeal of Tinder and its clones was that there is no uninvited messaging.
My problem with Tinder and Bumble is that as I understand it (from what people have said), it's quite common for good-looking women to get deluged with matches, so for a guy to stand out in the crowd he has to have a more noteworthy pick-up line than the other guys. "It's a numbers game" is what I've heard more than once. And I just don't think that's for me.

Tbh I'd much rather meet someone in person than online. Trouble is, it's harder to find people IRL than it is through the internet.

Also:
the horny man brigade spamming everyone
:lol:

The problem with online dating for men is that 80% of the women talk to the top 20% of the men. Your chances IRL are much greater, but....
I've met my last gf online. When we were already together, she told me she was familiar with my face but passed me over on one dating site as she was looking for more attractive men. We made contact on another dating site with no photos and began to chat. I thought she was probably ugly but interesting, it turned out she was a pretty one, who didn't publish a photo to avoid horny spam.
Tbh I'd much rather meet someone in person than online. Trouble is, it's harder to find people IRL than it is through the internet.
They can see you coming from a distance, that's the IRL problem. And then you can only outrun the fatties.?‍?‍♀️?‍??‍♀️?‍♂️?‍♂️??

Last edited:
Another observation: So many of these people have no ****ing clue what would constitute a decent picture to have on their profile. Blurry pixelated messes, terrible angles, pictures taken from a distance, you name it.

There are a lot of photo tricks to hide the fat (and the age). Maybe some photos are poor for a reason, they certainly use filters for a reason. Maybe women just don't have to try harder online.

Last edited:
If every photo starts from the chest up, chubbiness is almost guaranteed :grin:

But all in all, girls tend to have much less developped profiles than men have.

Thanks.

My problem with Tinder and Bumble is that as I understand it (from what people have said), it's quite common for good-looking women to get deluged with matches, so for a guy to stand out in the crowd he has to have a more noteworthy pick-up line than the other guys. "It's a numbers game" is what I've heard more than once. And I just don't think that's for me.
The thing that is rarely mentioned in online guides, though, is that pick-up lines often tend to have a problem with a follow up. You can shoot and get a response but that response is often a smiley or haha, after which you are back at nothing, thinking about what to write. Then you write something only for the convo to die completely. Generally, references to profiles or relevant questions, framed in at least a little funny way, tend to be somewhat more reliable. Pick-up lines, and especially those with sexual innuendos, tend to be hit and miss from my experience.

When I look at the state of dating currently I am so thankful I will never have to date again. I'm particularly empathetic for the guys - they have it very rough statistically speaking.

Send a handful of messages back and forth first but don't belay the point - tell her you're attracted to her (if you are) and ask her out on a low-stakes date, either something cheap like coffee or something free like maybe a walk in the park.

If she bites, great! If not, move on and find another!

If the first one goes well and she agrees to a second date, then you gotta go for the kiss on the second date.

Also make sure she's not a robot or an FBI agent.

Last edited:
Ask her what's the catch. :xf-cool:
Don't waste the opportunity when you are approached by someone likable, your chances are far better than if you are the one initiating contact. Of course, it may be a scam or she might have big red flags, but you can find this quickly.

Send a handful of messages back and forth first but don't belay the point - tell her you're attracted to her (if you are) and ask her out on a low-stakes date, either something cheap like coffee or something free like maybe a walk in the park.
I hear you, but according to her profile, she's in Florida. I'm in NY. Only way we're having coffee is over Zoom or Skype or something. As of right now we've each sent a couple of messages, just general 'get to know a little bit about one another' ('What do you like to do in your free time?' 'I like to do X') type stuff. I'm not that emotionally invested in it; I'm just getting some experience and seeing what happens.

If you are unsure whether she likes you, block her without explanation to show dominance. Wait a week, then contact her again and say you are willing to give this one more try.
She'll be intrigued by your sociopathic behaviour and agree to fly to your place to meet. Arrive 15 minutes late at the airport and she's yours.

I hear you, but according to her profile, she's in Florida. I'm in NY. Only way we're having coffee is over Zoom or Skype or something. As of right now we've each sent a couple of messages, just general 'get to know a little bit about one another' ('What do you like to do in your free time?' 'I like to do X') type stuff. I'm not that emotionally invested in it; I'm just getting some experience and seeing what happens.
Ah. Well I'd recommend messaging people that match with you a bit closer to home then, but if she's not a bot then feel free to continue the conversation as you see fit!

Back
Top Bottom