Dating Thread, v. II

Users who are viewing this thread

It shouldn't matter if they do or not, as long as you're not planning on dumping your kids on them for most of the time. It's you and your partner's life, not theirs; whether or not they want grandchildren should be irrelevant.

The decline of western civilization in one sentence  :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Seriously though for a lot of old people, not having grandchildren is like a kick in the balls. My grandma would probably slit my throat if I told her I wouldn't be having any kids. When you're at retirement age grandchildren are like the last thing to look forward to, and the last thing you can be given responsibility over to distract you from the immeasurable horror of death.

Of course it's a conflict of interests, but honestly if given the opportunity to clone myself I'd jump at the chance.

Kentucky James said:
The decline of western civilization in one sentence  :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Seriously though for a lot of old people, not having grandchildren is like a kick in the balls. My grandma would probably slit my throat if I told her I wouldn't be having any kids. When you're at retirement age grandchildren are like the last thing to look forward to, and the last thing you can be given responsibility over to distract you from the immeasurable horror of death.

Of course it's a conflict of interests, but honestly if given the opportunity to clone myself I'd jump at the chance.
You've talked before about how Western civilization doesn't treat older people well, and I'm not disagreeing with that. The thing is, adult children who live independently of their parents are, or should be, entitled to live their own lives. They shouldn't be asked to do something that will drastically affect the next ~20 years of their life just because that's what their parents want. I remember reading a letter in the advice column of our newspaper from a woman who couldn't understand why her adult child and her partner weren't giving her grandchildren. IIRC it was like "What do I need to do to get my daughter and her partner to have babies?" The reason I remember it is probably because of how annoyed I was by her when I read that. If her daughter and her partner didn't want to have kids yet, that was their prerogative, I thought. The mother could be unhappy about that, but it wasn't her decision to make.

Moose! said:
Still not sure if I want kids. I've started to become more sympathetic to the whole anti-natalist argument.

Same, but I would seriously consider adoption. Can't be any ethical problems with raising somebody who's already born as far as I can tell.

I'll have kids but only once I have the 5 bedroom house with a drive and a garden and decking and a dog and 2 cars and a golf club membership and a holiday home and a subscription to a wine club and a wife and a mistress and a barbecue.

There we go, a sufficiently long list of prerequisites to deny them any chance of being born.

Inb4 contraceptives of the future are required by law to have a statistically higher chance at failing to save humanity from its own disinterest in reproduction

Got a match on Tinder. **** me, I only set the thing up last night. And I didn't finish setting up my profile and start swiping until just a little while ago. It'll probably go nowhere, but hey, it's a nice little boost to my confidence. :smile:

Back
Top Bottom