Darkest Dungeon

Users who are viewing this thread

Been playing for a few hours to lessen stress. It's a fun little game. I'm really enjoying it, and I tend to be very picky about my games. Some things feel a bit off, but it's not like I had huge expectations when I got it.

I think it was this game that I really liked when I saw the initial info, but one bit really turned me off.

How is the progression. Can I take my time and do easier dungeons/maps or does the game force you to advance at a set pace.

Like in FTL, for example.

From what I've seen, it does progress on a set pace, but that pace is relatively slow. 5 areas IIRC, and once you complete a mission in one area, the level requirement for that area rises.

You can always do low level dungeons, but once your characters hit a certain level, they won't do low level ones anymore. You can always recruit more characters however.

I think it's great fun, but it is very punishing. I think intentionally, but still I think my current playthrough is pretty borked because of all the negative traits my top guys have. I'm thinking it might be best skipping a lot of the optional loot points that tend to have negative effects (especially the permanent kind) and relying mostly on chests+quest rewards. I'll definitely make sure to upgrade the cheapest stress-reduction places ASAP, since stress management is a major moneysink.

Also, I have no clue as to how I'm going to defeat the Swine Prince and his 100% stun resist and godly AoE damage. At one point he critted my entire team down to deathwatch level. I guess I'll have to stack other debuffs on him, but that will mean organizing a team around that (and I don't quite have that, since stun is the best debuff and the one I focused on).

It's fun initially, but one can fairly quickly work out the way to beat the game is a massive grind while other gameplay flaws are present.

This sums the current situation up pretty nicely:
http://www.reddit.com/r/darkestdungeon/comments/2us0w9/the_problem_with_this_game_is_the_mechanics_are/

This thread is interesting too:
http://www.reddit.com/r/darkestdungeon/comments/2va0vu/this_game_is_to_easy_and_need_enormous_changes_to/

I refuse to cheese the game like that though. Am making a lot more progress in my next play through anyway. My strategy of leveling everyone up to level 2 before attempting the bosses seems to be a good way - it makes sure I have a varied team available for any mission rather than a mismatch of higher and lower level guys that has weak links. Have gotten screwed over by multiple crits in a row a couple of times (then instant deathblow :sad: ), but still managed to keep from going bankrupt.

Rez

In exactly one month there will be an expansion release.
A new hero class. “Awash in blood and delusion, they bear the burden of a thousand lifetimes.”
A new wandering boss: The Fanatic
A new dungeon region: The Courtyard
A full faction of new deadly foes
4 new, unique Courtyard Bosses with some of the most complex and devious mechanics yet.
Massive, sprawling maps with locked doors, prisoner rooms, and progress saves
Districts: New prestige buildings that offer permanent, estate-wide bonuses
Lore-driven trinket sets for all heroes - with set bonuses!

Price is set to be 10 units of money, which I think is really quite steep for this content. I also wonder if they've fixed the way the game progresses. Although, I guess 'fix' is a bit relative since it seems like the game was always meant to be that way.
The new hero is probably going to be a vampire.

Regardless, there's a bit of news for you folks.

Back
Top Bottom