Damage/protection conception: the elephant in the room

Do you like the armour protection/infliction damage calculations currently applied in SP Bannerlord

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

I guess the question which everybody has on his mind and pretty much everybody has asked before is: how does the decision making process in your company work? To me it defies all logic. I thought somebody, Armagan or anybody else, had the pants on and a very specific vision of where the game needs to go which shall not be interupted. That pretty much made sense looking backwards. But now you tell me basically everything (at least balance wise) is still up for discussion.
A lead designer can still discuss and take into account feedback from various sources (be it internal or external). Similarly, decisions can be amended based on that. At times, diverse opinions may delay a change in favor of more clear cut matters of equal or greater priority.

In the case of armor, though, we are currently testing different options. This could mean you may see a change in weeks or in months or not at all (imo unlikely) - depending on how the tests go.

Edith:
With the different armour and other equipment, even though you've been fixing it over the course of the new patches; there are still inconsistencies like these.
I will share that image with the design team. If you have more on that front, please feel free to shoot me a PM as well.

Please TW, reconsider your position, with a more coherent and moderate approach.
The great comparison table made by @five bucks resumes it all.
BannerlordWarband
v2G3VMy.png
vpi3RMH.png

I most certainly agree that the visual of the armors somewhat should be consistent with its values. This is also gonna help players when they are in the market instead of checking all of the values of the armor.

In the case of armor, though, we are currently testing different options. This could mean you may see a change in weeks or in months or not at all (imo unlikely) - depending on how the tests go.
That you are actually in the process of testing stuff sounds great. I was until now under the impression that wether something has to be done or not was still in discussion.

Honestly cant see the issue here in terms of the PROS of keeping the current system. There really is none.
Even so, there is no consensus on the balance that should replace it. Full RBM battle times would be too hardcore for a number of players and IMO is best left to that mod (although their ability to take it further could be better supported by TW increasing what is moddable). A simple re-balance that made upgrades meaningful and motivated me to collect better armour and weapons again would satisfy me without solving all the combat issues that irritate others.

Even so, there is no consensus on the balance that should replace it. Full RBM battle times would be too hardcore for a number of players and IMO is best left to that mod (although their ability to take it further could be better supported by TW increasing what is moddable). A simple re-balance that made upgrades meaningful and motivated me to collect better armour and weapons again would satisfy me without solving all the combat issues that irritate others.

Yes i agree but my point is -they already had a system that made upgrades desirable to grind out for -in the previous games. Why have they gone this simplistic route at all is my question? Like what were they thinking?

The armour formula could scale with a new option in the campaign tab,it doesnt have to be one or the other just saying...

Yep, just provide more options. RBM could be the "realistic" setting, TWs vision can be the "normal" game setting. Just explain in the tool tip what is affected by what difficulty.

Are we just talking about armor or also AI behavior in battles (circle of death and other stupid stuff the AI loves to do in vanilla)?

I also think full RBM would be a shocker to the most of the people. 42% of the people sticks to vanilla even if they don't like the current system.

I mean i guess what im asking is the last time I tried Bannerlord -peasants could kill high tier troops pretty handily which took away the fun as there was really no distinction in troops. This carried over to combat skills as well -where as in earlier games you could clearly see an advanced fighter AI play out right in front of you both in offense, defense and better armor.

In short -why did they break an already fixed thing? Why has this aspect changed when it serves no purpose except to take away any individuality of the game? The devs never seem to wanna answer this..

Armour has apparently been discussed for at least a year according to TW, and they have certainly had no lack of feedback, so I'm very glad they have proceeded to actually testing things out.

I also think full RBM would be a shocker to the most of the people.
Agreed, that level of realism is better left for mods, warband's formula would be perfect to me though, it really had that sweet spot between realism and fun making progression rewarding and top tier armors/troops really tankish against low level troops though not to impossible levels.

Back
Top Bottom