Damage/protection conception: the elephant in the room

Do you like the armour protection/infliction damage calculations currently applied in SP Bannerlord

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

Terco_Viejo

Spanish Gifquisition
Grandmaster Knight
As many veteran players as well as new players who have recently joined the franchise, a real root problem with the damage/protection formula in Bannerlord has become evident to many of us.

I'm talkng about this:

Since players have been able to experience the game first hand, a long list of threads opened by new players and veterans alike have been continuously added to a long list, focusing on this issue through writings, data exposés, video tests and polls.

Recently a poll took place on reddit by @Bjorn The Hound with a simple question, here is the result:

EwWXj.jpg

From the number of those polled, 145/389 are happy with the current implementation of Native. On the other hand, the sum of those who are not and those who directly play with mods is 244/389. It is not a huge difference, but certainly meaningful to consider at least.

Well, in all these threads Taleworlds has been made aware of this problem... and not only here on the official forums but also on reddit, steam and other platforms like youtube among others. Here is a small sample screenshot which with a quick search attests to the extent of this problem.

ft7Lr.jpg

While shuffling quantities, I would like to point out the number of players who collect these major mods whose mission is to alter the gameplay experience as far as damage-protection is concerned. There are players who have definitely considered these mods to be essential because without them they feel simply cannot play the game.

T08Ik.jpg

Following this recent Callum's comment I wonder: maybe Taleworlds has underestimated the size of the subset referred to in this comment? Isn't the elephant big enough that it doesn't even fit in the room?

It's not just me saying it, it's that a considerable amount of players can be estimated by a quick search in any search engine... it has been mentioned since the first months of the EA period. I refer to the data.

In my opinion this data needs to be considered, when claiming "The people playing and enjoying the game".

I repeat again, there is a glaring problem in the design concept regarding armour protection and the damage of certain weapons. This is not addressed by reducing the % of damage to the player but requires a significant change of stance by Taleworlds. A change to a more middle ground between the damage-protection values we had in Warband and those provided by mods such as RBM and others would be the ultimate compromise to address this issue to the satisfaction of all parties.

With this fixed, the player experience will improve as there would be no inconsistency between tiers, extended battle times and tactical possibilities both in battles and in the pace of the campaign. Not me saying that; I'm putting my words to the data and I'm referring to it.

Talewords must understand this current problem, which is by no means marginal or isolated, but transversal to the whole spectrum of players.

For the record, a simple poll with a simple question focused on the SP mode only.

For my part, this is my last flare fired into the air. @Duh_TaleWorlds @Callum @Dejan @MArdA TaleWorlds
Thank you all for your attention

Last edited:
While I understand what TW is aiming for they´re overdoing it. I prefer RBM over vanilla but also RBM isn´t perfect.

In my opinion vanilla should be closer to RBM. Top tier armor needs to make the player feel strong. It´s like a end game goal to get the best armor even if you already achieve it in midgame or even ealier if you cheese. But in vanilla it doesn´t feel satisfying to be on the battlefield with the best armor. I´m not talking about standing between 15 looters that can´t kill you but also not about taking 3 instead of 2,5 hits.

Thank you Terco_Viejo for opening the thread.
The poll took place in r/mountandblade subreddit which has 229k members and also official subreddit of TW. I also shared the poll link at r/Bannerlord subreddit which has 71.9k members and also second biggest subreddit related to Bannerlord I know of.

I want to write the results in percentage(389 votes):

-I like the armor/damage as the way it is: 37%
-I don't like it: 42%
-I don't like it and I use mods for changing it: %21

Never say never <3

Appreciate the post. As I noted in the other thread - we are exploring options to make armor more meaningful. Because this is still not fully settled, IMO we have to be a bit careful about over-promising on the what and the when.
It´s enough to know that you are not "happy" with the current system and consider a meaningful change, thanks!

Polls are good, really good. Although if I could, maybe make a second one following up on this one. Make it solely focused on RBM and see how many want those types of changes.

Two people can want armor changes but what they have envisioned are entirely different. And given that 63% dislike the current armor settings, while only 21% use mods, more clarification helps.

I did not intend to support mods by doing the poll. It is vey interesting to me that 41% of people don't use mods even if they dislike vanilla armor/damage and also just this number alone is higher than 37% of people who likes it. This alone says that the changes must be done by TW not with the help of mods.

RBM is making a lot of changes. If I do a poll like that, people could be intimidated reading the description page of RBM so the people who will participate in that poll could be, by a huge margin, RBM users.

It would better get a grasp on how many people actually use RBM.
Well, I will speak without data but at least %90 percent of third option of the poll uses RBM just because RBM released at April 20, 2020 just after EA release and still being supported for all of these 2 years (huge thanks @Philozoraptor btw) and there is not a viable alternative. Just like Terco posted in the op, I sorted all of the mods in Nexus by endorsments and after 15 pages (Nexus shows 20 mods per page) I encountered Drastic battles other than Armor Does Something which is not supported anymore.

Edit: For perspective, RBM at the second page and Armor Does Something at the third page.

RBM:

todd-howard-it-just-works.gif

But really, I don´t know the other mod but RBM is always up to date. No matter when I want to hurt myself and play Bannerlord, RBM brings joy.

I use lighter mods like modifiable armor modifiers. Looking to try warbandlord this weekend. Would like to see shield stats matter for npc’s, which it adds hooks for.

Both offer user configurable files, which are fun to tinker with.

Back
Top Bottom