Daggers revival

Users who are viewing this thread

Snori

Sergeant
Right now daggers are literally useless most of the time. Really, why should I use a cheap, weak weapon that couldn`t block, and more then this occupies one weapon slot? Right no, I sholdn`t:smile:
If you broke your lance, lost your sword and run out of arrows a dagger is your last chance to survie. So I suggest to add an additional weapon slot for small items like knives and such. Not for big items or sheilds, just support weapon, hungign on your belt or sheted under the heel. It will make a good, sharp dugger so valuable for arhcrers, who cary three quivers and a bow, or for riders with a lance, two shields and a bag of javelins and the like. Just to not be left with nothing but your fists against a bunch of river pirates:smile:

I support this idea.  I'd be down with replacing fisticuffs with a magic dagger that everyone always has, but having a small slot only for backups would allow you to level your backup weapon, or choose a particular type (blackjack ftw).

I don't. Having 3 quivers of arrows is already unrealistic. If people want to make such sacrifices, they can, but they have to face the consequences of it. Nobody could hold 75+ arrows on their person, and nobody could carry a lance and 16+ javelins/axes. Realize that you're already pushing the limit.

Absolutely.  It would be especially nice if Armagan implemented a paper-doll inventory system and gave us a belt slot and a boot slot that can only take knives and daggers.

What are you smoking, AA?  It's unrealistic to carry 3 quivers of arrows (arguable), so you shouldn't be allowed to keep a KNIFE in your belt?

I support this idea. I don't see how it is realistic for a dagger to take as much space as a great lance. But, Snori, please take more time to revise/proofread etc your post next time you make a suggestion.

I'm all for this idea. Maybe 3-4 large weapon slots, and 1-2 small weapon slots would help the balance a bit.

It only makes sense as a dagger is so small.

Also, it might be nice if only ONE of your slots were able to hole a really large weapon such as a battle axe or lance or bow.  That way archers can't whip out a pike.

You could also make quivers smaller or else give them separate slots to keep people from stocking up on 100 arrows.

ArabArcher35 said:
I don't. Having 3 quivers of arrows is already unrealistic. If people want to make such sacrifices, they can, but they have to face the consequences of it. Nobody could hold 75+ arrows on their person, and nobody could carry a lance and 16+ javelins/axes. Realize that you're already pushing the limit.

So reduce quiver size to compensate.  Saying everyone in the game should have a knife seems pretty indisputable, and fisticuffs are totally worthless.

Actually, how many weapon slots do people think you need?  Four is a bit too many (taking all four almost always results in absurdity).  Paper-doll would be best (ie, back slots, waist slots, etc) but I'm not sure how you'd implement things like the posibility of multiple weapons per hip or a sword scabbard laid across or under a quiver etc.

As to the addition of an emergency sidearm such as a dagger yes for sure.

Now i see either have large weapons take a certain number of slots and specific slots made for tiny objects. Or have a ragdoll system where you could equip a very small shield to your arm with a bow. Differnt slots for specific things. I.E. Arm with tiny shield, large sword. Somekind of slot system with specific entries or size limitations perhaps?

bryce777 said:

Also, it might be nice if only ONE of your slots were able to hole a really large weapon such as a battle axe or lance or bow.  That way archers can't whip out a pike.

You could also make quivers smaller or else give them separate slots to keep people from stocking up on 100 arrows.

so evolve it a bit:
back: big ass weapons (such as an axe, sword of war, est.)
lower back or some crap because im unoriginal: quiver (2 slots, i would rather have one, but meh)
left hip: one handed sword/axe/rape stick
right hip: small sheathed item (dagger, no bloody hatchets as 'small weapons' like the last time)

that way it makes it into a narrow customization, but that might scare a few people off.

The point of including a knife or similar as an emergency weapon is that it's inconcievable that anyone in M&B wouldn't have one.  Either in a belt, a scabbard, a boot, even a sash, shield or sewn onto a quiver.  I'm all for a more sophisticated inventory system (particularly now that there are 'mount slots') but something very gamey and restrictive doesn't appeal.  I say just add more 'boxes', and stop players adding equipment that would be drawn on a slot that's taken, hence you could have a big sword, a shield, a sword, recurve and quiver at the same time, but not three swords or two big swords, since you run out of hips.

Course, things like lances/pikes etc are a problem, but I'm all for the idea that you shouldn't be able to 'store' them at all, rather dropping or abandoning them.

has been suggested a long time ago, but still a good idea. I think that you should have a different button for cycling through main weapons and the side weapon, and should you have the slot empty you would use your fists.

What we need is recruitable squires. They could carry our impractically huge assortment of weaponry for us then level up into horsemen after a couple of battles.

The Pope said:
What we need is recruitable squires. They could carry our impractically huge assortment of weaponry for us then level up into horsemen after a couple of battles.

Or die tragically, forcing you to put a want-ad in the paper for another upwardly-mobile young man to carry your **** around for you. :smile:

i would say for rag-doll inventory from which some i agree with:

Back: two-handed weapon ( bows included and polearms)
Mid-Back (backpack place): a shield/quiver(can overlap the other)
Left Hip: sword/axe/club.
Right Hip: Xbow quiver/Buckler
Belt: Knive or (small) club a.i. blackjack
Boot: Dagger

This all would work great when the time come of the weapons durability from when you're in battle and a weapon breaks that you got a whole ladder of reserve weapons so you'll never have to use fisticuffs which just well to put it nicely: is not even strong enough to kill a rabbit.

but the kind of armor would also restrict some slots like plated boots that wouldn't be able to hold a dagger.
plated body armor with no belt to hang a knive on or to hang more than one quivers on so you must choose which kind of armor is the best for you in the offence (weapon slots) or defence ( armor ratings) and that some horses give you a extra slot for lances and spears you could carry on foot with you after you dismount but need to drop it or put it back in the horses inventory in order to switch weapons again.   

The problem with that - and the reason I don't like such rigid breakdowns - is that there's nothing stopping you putting a regular sword on your back if you want.  If you say 'cross-back is for two-hander' then it will never be used by some people, but they'll still be stopped from using it for something else.

Ideally you'd want a tiered system complex enough to allow you to equip practical combinations of gear, without saying 'no that slot is only for quivers no halfsword for you neener neener'.

I wonder if you can have a buckler-esque shield on your forearm all the time, but use a two-handed weapon as well?  My small understanding suggests this should be possible.

The idea that plate has no way to hang weapons is tremendous.  Do you think warriors in rigid plate kept everything in their hands?

What we REALLY need is a system of dropping weapons. Nobody carried a halberd on their back. It would also convince many more people to not be lancers if they had to drop their lance before drawing their sword.

ArabArcher35 said:
What we REALLY need is a system of dropping weapons. Nobody carried a halberd on their back. It would also convince many more people to not be lancers if they had to drop their lance before drawing their sword.

Making lances more difficult to handle is the only nerf I want to see for mounted combat.  It'd be much harder to solo with a lance if pulling out a sword meant you'd need to recover your lance off the ground afterward.

Well, that and breaking lances. :smile:

TheDrunkenMoron said:
bryce777 said:

so evolve it a bit:
back: big ass weapons (such as an axe, sword of war, est.)
lower back or some crap because im unoriginal: quiver (2 slots, i would rather have one, but meh)
left hip: one handed sword/axe/rape stick
right hip: small sheathed item (dagger, no bloody hatchets as 'small weapons' like the last time)

that way it makes it into a narrow customization, but that might scare a few people off.

You could probably strap a sword inside a shield, so a sword and shield could fit in the back slot.  You should really only be able to drop your 'big' weapon though, as putting it back would take so long.  I agree with the one quiver.  Normal quivers of 20, or large ones of maybe 30, and that's it.

Back
Top Bottom