Custom Weapon Position/Sheath

Users who are viewing this thread

Locksher

Recruit
Any ideas how I can change my 1h axe sheathed position from left hip to right hip? I tried using Morghs M&B WB-WFAS Editor to change the position from "axe_left_hip" to "quiver_right_vertical", but that way my axe's edge points upwards when sheathed and looks weird. Can I create custom positions ("axe_right_hip", for example) and if yes how? Or at least can you tell me where should I look? In which file? I just want to put my axe sheath from left hip to right hip and have no idea where to even look.

Solution
I think you are using Morgh's Editor then, that's working with it as well. Copy paste the mesh and name it whatevernameaxe_carry. Select one of the right hip carry flags and assign the mesh to the carry ixmesh like I mentioned above, only via Morgh's Editor then, it should have a similar function. Look how it looks in-game and think about how you want to rotate it. Then rotate/move it (the duplicate) via OpenBRF and check if it looks fine afterwards in-game (you need to restart the game for this). Repeat this until it looks fine.
Any ideas how I can change my 1h axe sheathed position from left hip to right hip? I tried using Morghs M&B WB-WFAS Editor to change the position from "axe_left_hip" to "quiver_right_vertical", but that way my axe's edge points upwards when sheathed and looks weird. Can I create custom positions ("axe_right_hip", for example) and if yes how? Or at least can you tell me where should I look? In which file? I just want to put my axe sheath from left hip to right hip and have no idea where to even look.
Those are carry flags and they're hardcoded in the game so you cannot create "axe_right_hip" flag.
About other ways, you may use brf editor to rotate "the model" or "stand animation" or something like that (i don't know much about animation editing or modeling) Custom models etc. are stored in brf files in the "Resources" directory and game's original brf files are stored at the "CommonRes" directory. Just try rotating a little bit until someone replies with something more precise :grin:

Upvote 0
OpenBRF is a valid alternative, was not aware that so many are still useing the old brf editor ^^
At the item entry in module_items.py you can make use of the ixmesh setting ixmesh_carry, you can see this being used at swords for scabbards or at munition like arrows, bolts, etc. So you can copy paste your item in OpenBRF (or BRF Editor) and add it in the item entry as follows (example taken from Native):
Code:
["hand_axe",         "Hand Axe", [("hatchet",0), ("hatchet_carry",ixmesh_carry)], itp_type_one_handed_wpn|itp_merchandise| itp_primary|itp_secondary|itp_bonus_against_shield|itp_wooden_parry, itc_scimitar|itcf_carry_axe_left_hip,
24 , weight(2)|difficulty(7)|spd_rtng(95) | weapon_length(75)|swing_damage(27 , cut) | thrust_damage(0 ,  pierce),imodbits_axe ],
The rest is about trial and error. Try with the different available carry flags. For the right hip you have: itcf_carry_dagger_front_right, itcf_carry_quiver_front_right, itcf_carry_quiver_back_right, itcf_carry_quiver_right_vertical, itcf_carry_revolver_right.

First test which carry flags looks the closest to what you want to look it like in-game. Afterwards rotate the mesh in one of the above mentioned editors until it looks alright, testing it in-game.

Upvote 1
OpenBRF is a valid alternative, was not aware that so many are still useing the old brf editor ^^
At the item entry in module_items.py you can make use of the ixmesh setting ixmesh_carry, you can see this being used at swords for scabbards or at munition like arrows, bolts, etc. So you can copy paste your item in OpenBRF (or BRF Editor) and add it in the item entry as follows (example taken from Native):
Code:
["hand_axe",         "Hand Axe", [("hatchet",0), ("hatchet_carry",ixmesh_carry)], itp_type_one_handed_wpn|itp_merchandise| itp_primary|itp_secondary|itp_bonus_against_shield|itp_wooden_parry, itc_scimitar|itcf_carry_axe_left_hip,
24 , weight(2)|difficulty(7)|spd_rtng(95) | weapon_length(75)|swing_damage(27 , cut) | thrust_damage(0 ,  pierce),imodbits_axe ],
The rest is about trial and error. Try with the different available carry flags. For the right hip you have: itcf_carry_dagger_front_right, itcf_carry_quiver_front_right, itcf_carry_quiver_back_right, itcf_carry_quiver_right_vertical, itcf_carry_revolver_right.

First test which carry flags looks the closest to what you want to look it like in-game. Afterwards rotate the mesh in one of the above mentioned editors until it looks alright, testing it in-game.
That's exactly the problem. I've tried all the carry flags. None of them are what I'm looking for. If I could make my custom carry flag, that would be perfect...or if I could change the coordinates of the existing ones.

Upvote 0
Custom carry flags are not possible. You need to rely on one of the given ones and rotate/move your mesh in OpenBRF accordingly.
So I can't mess with the carry flags but I can fix the coordinates of the mesh itself? Yeah, I have open BRF. I might give it a try. But which file should I edit? The mesh of the axe itself?

Also wouldn't that mess with the positioning of the axe while I'm wielding it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
So I can't mess with the carry flags but I can fix the coordinates of the mesh itself?
Yes, exactly.
But which file should I edit? The mesh of the axe itself?

Also wouldn't that mess with the positioning of the axe while I'm wielding it?
Reread again carefully my long response above. I mention there that you should copy paste your mesh (rename it to axe_carry or similar) and rotate/move the copy of the mesh, not the original one. Otherwise it would affect the positioning of the axe while wielding it.

Upvote 1
Code:

Ok, so if I understand you correctly, your suggestion is to make a copy of the axe mesh, change it's coordinates, so it fits my right hip and then use that copy as a carry flag? And where is "module_items.py" ? I can't seem to find it anywhere. Sorry for being noob, btw, that's why I'm here. xD

Upvote 0
I think you are using Morgh's Editor then, that's working with it as well. Copy paste the mesh and name it whatevernameaxe_carry. Select one of the right hip carry flags and assign the mesh to the carry ixmesh like I mentioned above, only via Morgh's Editor then, it should have a similar function. Look how it looks in-game and think about how you want to rotate it. Then rotate/move it (the duplicate) via OpenBRF and check if it looks fine afterwards in-game (you need to restart the game for this). Repeat this until it looks fine.

Upvote 1
Solution
What is the editor you use? Because I don't think it would happen with Morphs. I have openBRF for the meshes, but where can I find the carry "ixmesh"? I mean, I know how to assign a carry flag to an existing mesh/axe(via Morphs) but if I create a copy mesh of the axe, assign it one of the carry flags and then move/rotate it, as you mentioned, I'm basically adding a new weapon to the game and I can either equip the original axe(and nothing changes) or my copy of it, which stays on my right hip as I want, but won't wield properly.

Morphs basically edits items_kind1.txt, which, If I know the codes for the positions, I can edit manually.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks a lot. It worked:axe_right_hip

Here's how, for those of you who, like me, need a graphical explaination:
I coplied the axe mesh, named it one_handed_war_axe_a_scabbard (or whatever)
And then editted the line in "item_kinds1.txt", analogically to how sword scabbards are coded there.
I then editted the one_handed_war_axe_a_scabbard's coordinates so that it's fixed to my character's right hip(that's about +4800 on the Y).
Of couse, you have to do it for each axe/mace mesh you want to move to your right hip, but if you're a historical-accuracy maniac like me, it's worth it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom