Custom Troops

Would you like to see some form of customizable troops in Bannerlord?

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Does anyone have any news on custom troops? They are not in the future plans plan nor anywhere else, but we have been surprised before. Do you think Taleworlds will surprise us again and add custom troops in some way?
Did they ever even say that they´re thinking about this option? As far as I know they didn´t. So I would say the chances that TW will add it are very low. But as long as the "my little warband" mod works as it works it can be ignored.

This is one of those I'd prefer stay as a mod option only; as way too many variables to account for balancing (even though it's a single-player game) into the base game in an 'official' capacity.

This is one of those I'd prefer stay as a mod option only; as way too many variables to account for balancing (even though it's a single-player game) into the base game in an 'official' capacity.
It could be totally optional, even toggable as a pre game setting. Like the mod is right now. Even when the mod is active you don´t have to use the feature.

Same for me with smithing, I never really used it because it feels like cheesing the game.

One major issue I have with MLW is that the player gets access to cusromizing troops straight out of the gate. I think if custom units were to be ever implemented, they should be similar to how PoP did it: single troop tree (or even a single troop) where we unlock weapons and armor through the course of the game. I think a custom troop tree would be a great addition as late game content.

Maybe smithing can even be integrated by making it so that our crafted weapon presets are automatically unlocked for us to equip to troops (and would be somewhat balanced due to us requiring to unlock all the weapon parts in a tier to advance).

It could be totally optional, even toggable as a pre game setting. Like the mod is right now. Even when the mod is active you don´t have to use the feature.
I guess, much like they trivialized their 'dynasty' with the death/birth toggle.
One major issue I have with MLW is that the player gets access to cusromizing troops straight out of the gate. I think if custom units were to be ever implemented, they should be similar to how PoP did it: single troop tree (or even a single troop) where we unlock weapons and armor through the course of the game. I think a custom troop tree would be a great addition as late game content.
I mean, with how other things have been added bare-bones and lack of QoL, custom troops have to be done properly to have it work well and cohesively. Something like requiring castle/towns or certain building upgrades to enable or upgrade them, unlockable/#troops/troop tier dependent on your clan tier (clan tier has to be able to fall first), cost influence (game needs more influence costing sinks), or cost time to replenish, etc...

Something akin to what most sort of though noble troops should've been closer to being; just now the player also can create their own noble troop. Adds another element to the game to build up towards.

Last edited:
I guess, much like they trivialized their 'dynasty' with the death/birth toggle.
I think the biggest issue of the "dynasty" feature is the time it takes to build a dynasty. Even if you marry as soon as possible and get a child as soon as possible, it will take a very long time until your child grows up. Usually the game is already "over" (you´re already established, have "unlimited" money and can do whatever you want) when your child comes into age.

The dynasty feature has so much potential, not talking about as deep as Crusader Kings (which is fine of course), but it could be much better in my opinion. There is a lot of "wasted" potential.

I think the biggest issue of the "dynasty" feature is the time it takes to build a dynasty. Even if you marry as soon as possible and get a child as soon as possible, it will take a very long time until your child grows up. Usually the game is already "over" (you´re already established, have "unlimited" money and can do whatever you want) when your child comes into age.
Yep, even if you speed run the marriage and just speed wait; that's like ~12 hours or so maybe? It's fine for the kids to take long to grow-up, just make the rest of the game pace match that or add some ebb&flow to the whole map situations/dynasties for some actual consequences so it's not just a straight/permanent linear progression.
Much like the BL development: 2-steps forward, 1-step back or even sometimes, 1-step forward, 2-steps back, or refactoring that pauses any steps forward or back.

Does anyone have any news on custom troops? They are not in the future plans plan nor anywhere else, but we have been surprised before. Do you think Taleworlds will surprise us again and add custom troops in some way?
I'd say it's about as likely to happen as mods on console.

I do think it would be nice if when you create a Kingdom you could effectively create your own culture/troop line, but that would also necessitate some cultural conversion mechanics which are sorely missing from the game. Would make creating a new Kingdom a lot more worthwhile IMO.

There's also some problems with custom troops:

1. Probably be real easy, even with equipment restrictions to create OP units, or troop roster superior to everything else. (Although TW doesn't seem to care too much about balance due to Khan's Guard...)

2. How do you make it idiot proof? Someone might think it's a good idea to give an archer 3 arrow quivers with no melee weapon. Do you then also allow players to edit their troops whenever they want?

I can't see TW doing it. Honestly My Little Warband mod does a good job already of letting you create a custom troop tree and or adjusting current troops.

I don't see why they'd ever do this. Warband mods already tried this:
- Perisno has a full custom mercenary troop tree, relying on an obscure rating system to balance the equipment, as well as overpricing the recruits - Result: troops are either incredibly OP or you preserve your immersion
- Pendor has the Custom Knighthood Order, only two troops but overwhelmingly powerful, balanced by extreme scarcity and huge investments in both time and money - Result: basically extreme late game material

I'd say it's about as likely to happen as mods on console.

I do think it would be nice if when you create a Kingdom you could effectively create your own culture/troop line, but that would also necessitate some cultural conversion mechanics which are sorely missing from the game. Would make creating a new Kingdom a lot more worthwhile IMO.
Tried some of those culture dynamic mods, it's a tricky thing to balance for sure for timing/pace - without completely losing a culture by accident.
There's also some problems with custom troops:

1. Probably be real easy, even with equipment restrictions to create OP units, or troop roster superior to everything else. (Although TW doesn't seem to care too much about balance due to Khan's Guard...)

2. How do you make it idiot proof? Someone might think it's a good idea to give an archer 3 arrow quivers with no melee weapon. Do you then also allow players to edit their troops whenever they want?

I can't see TW doing it. Honestly My Little Warband mod does a good job already of letting you create a custom troop tree and or adjusting current troops.
Adding custom troops in 'officially' means they would also have to contend with all the bugs/issues/balancing that comes with it; which is more than they can probably currently handle.
It works fine as a mod 'use at own risk' sort of thing but to put it in the base game, without fleshing it out properly will just be the exact same issue we have with almost every other feature added to date.

Adding custom troops in 'officially' means they would also have to contend with all the bugs/issues/balancing that comes with it; which is more than they can probably currently handle.
It works fine as a mod 'use at own risk' sort of thing but to put it in the base game, without fleshing it out properly will just be the exact same issue we have with almost every other feature added to date.
The mod is very stable.

I know this has been asked before, but I thought it deserved a poll as well.

With Fire and Sword had it where you could customize mercenaries if I am not mistaken, which seemed like a good feature.

It could either be custom clan troops recruitable from the start or only available once you start your own kingdom. To balance it they should be as strong as other faction troops, and you would need to pay X amount for their equipment changes. There could also be other ways of balancing it.

Thoughts?
Yes
100%
i feel like custom troops would be amazing
i want to make the tankyest tank troop ever with a 2 handed axe
or a troop with 3 javelin bags and a 2 handed sword
it would be so awsome, it would be so cool

Limiting troop tier and equipment by clan level could work.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lvl 0: 0 Troop Slots.

Lvl 1: 2 Troop Slots + Tier 1 Armor/Weapons - 50 Skill Cap

Lvl 2: 4 Troop Slots + Tier 2 Armor/Weapons - 75 Skill Cap

Lvl 3: 6 Troop Slots + Tier 3 Armor/Weapons - 100 Skill Cap

Lvl 4: 8 Troop Slots + Tier 4 Armor/Weapons - 150 Skill Cap

Lvl 5: 10 Troop Slots + Tier 5 Armor/Weapons- 200 Skill Cap

Lvl 6: 10 Troop slots + Tier 6 Armor/Weapons + Retainer, an expensive troop with 300 Skill Cap

You could even unlock more stuff to make some tiers feel more special, like: Clan Tier 4 Unlocks Crafted Weapons for Custom Troops, potentially with the con of increasing wages by 25%.

Heck, it could allow for more interesting perks too:

Roguery 150, "Forgiveness by duty" - > Looters can be upgraded to your Custom Troops' Recruit equivalent.
Trade 150, "Arms Trader" -> Decreases custom troop wages by 10%.

I'd make a mod like this if I knew how and still cared enough about Bannerlord to warrant the effort.

Last edited:
Limiting troop tier and equipment by clan level could work.

Lvl 0: 0 Troop Slots.

Lvl 1: 2 Troop Slots + Tier 1 Armor/Weapons - 50 Skill Cap

Lvl 2: 4 Troop Slots + Tier 2 Armor/Weapons - 75 Skill Cap

Lvl 3: 6 Troop Slots + Tier 3 Armor/Weapons - 100 Skill Cap

Lvl 4: 8 Troop Slots + Tier 4 Armor/Weapons - 150 Skill Cap

Lvl 5: 10 Troop Slots + Tier 5 Armor/Weapons- 200 Skill Cap

Lvl 6: 10 Troop slots + Tier 6 Armor/Weapons + Retainer, an expensive troop with 300 Skill Cap

You could even unlock more stuff to make some tiers feel more special, like: Clan Tier 4 Unlocks Crafted Weapons for Custom Troops, potentially with the con of increasing wages by 25%.

Heck, it could allow for more interesting perks too:

Roguery 150, "Forgiveness by duty" - > Looters can be upgraded to your Custom Troops' Recruit equivalent.
Trade 150, "Arms Trader" -> Decreases custom troop wages by 10%.

I'd make a mod like this if I knew how and still cared enough about Bannerlord to warrant the effort.
do you mean it takes up more than 1 slot per troop
if they did that no one would use them
prehaps it should be by clan teir that you can get each one
like you can get teir 3's at teir 3
and teir 4's at teir 4

do you mean it takes up more than 1 slot per troop
if they did that no one would use them
prehaps it should be by clan teir that you can get each one
like you can get teir 3's at teir 3
and teir 4's at teir 4
No, Troop Tree Slots.

So at clan level 1 the player would only have one Tier 1 troop tree slot and an upgrade, the Tier 2 (or two T1s, I commoner and one noble).

The player could have as many of those guys as you'd want, but they would be very limited both in equipment and skills (as any tier one troop should be).

The more clan levels, the higher tiers and more potential upgrade paths:

Clan lvl1: (2 slots)

T1 Custom Recruit
-> T2 Custom Footman

Clan lvl2:
(4 slots)
------------------------------T2 Custom Footman -> T3 Custom Trained Footman
T1 Custom Recruit
->
------------------------------T2 Custom Archer

If the player wants more variety at Clan Level 2 he could also pick 3 branches (was implemeted some patches ago) but none above tier 2, like this:

------------------------------T2 Custom Footman
T1 Custom Recruit
-> T2 Custom Skirmisher

The player could recruit as many of those as available in villages, maybe paying 200% the usual price for faction troops.

In the late game the player could pass a policy allowing lords to recruit some of their custom troops... it would make the conquest of Calradia more fun, imho, truly leaving a mark... heck, imagine being able to create your own culture at Clan level 6 with the custom troops as a basis and units perks similar to those of other factions...

I'm just daydreaming though, don't mind me.

Last edited:
No, Troop Tree Slots.

So at clan level 1 you would only have one Tier 1 troop tree slot and an upgrade, the Tier 2 (or two T1s, I commoner and one noble).

You could have as many of those guys as you'd want, but they would be very limited both in equipment and skills (as any tier one troop should be).

The more clan levels, the higher tiers and more potential upgrade paths:

Clan lvl1:

T1 Custom Recruit
-> T2 Custom Footman

Clan lvl2:

------------------------------T2 Custom Footman -> T3 Custom Trained Footman
T1 Custom Recruit
->

If you wanted more variety at Clan Level 2 you could also have 3 branches (was implemeted some patches ago) but none above tier 2, like this:

------------------------------T2 Custom Footman
T1 Custom Recruit
-> T2 Custom Skirmisher

You could recruit as many of those as available in villages, maybe paying 200% the usual price for faction troops.
Ohh like the ammount of custom troops that you can have
that makes seanse
but i feel like you should recrute them from the tavern distrect

There are lot of ways to balance the system but even unbalanced it would still be the choice of the player to abuse it. Also this is a sp game it wouldn´t even matter. And as if the vanilla factions / troops are balanced very good...

There are lot of ways to balance the system but even unbalanced it would still be the choice of the player to abuse it. Also this is a sp game it wouldn´t even matter. And as if the vanilla factions / troops are balanced very good...
Exactly, we already have smithing and other things that can be used. Adding customisable troops in some way would not exactly unbalance the game.

Perhaps there could even be a feature for a randomized mercenary troop that can be hired.

Also, it is important that if custom troops are added, that we be able to pick from any equipment across factions.

Back
Top Bottom