Custom Troops

Would you like to see some form of customizable troops in Bannerlord?

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

I like to think that minor clan troops are themselves custom troops.

Seriously though, if such a feature is implemented, it needs to be balanced right. Like if the tier of troops and equipment you can afford is affected by your clan tier and ****.

Last edited:
I am unhappy that this poll has recieved fewer votes than my other polls. What have I done wrong? Is it because of my positive attitude towards TaleWorlds that the community punishes me with silence and detatchment? I only ever wanted to swim against the stream of hatred, be a light in the tunnel. But I realize now that this has been a great sin against the consensus of hate. Where can I find a priest to confess to?

Or a rebellion? The new lord would be able to custom troops
Yes that would be cool.

I am unhappy that this poll has recieved fewer votes than my other polls. What have I done wrong? Is it because of my positive attitude towards TaleWorlds that the community punishes me with silence and detatchment? I only ever wanted to swim against the stream of hatred, be a light in the tunnel. But I realize now that this has been a great sin against the consensus of hate. Where can I find a priest to confess to?

Yes that would be cool.
Probably to do with the fact that no one really expects TW to pay attention to any of our opinions.

Thnk god we have 2 awesome mods ''my little warband'' and ''custom troops'' to replace the generic crap from the so called developers of TW.

Although not really "custom" troops, I think one way of integrating some customization can be made through kingdom policies. For example, having several mutually exclusive policies such as giving your T3+ (non-noble) ranged troops +10 bow/crossbow proficiency or maybe +2 arrows for each quiver but they become more expensive to hire & level up and/or require more exp to level up, etc. By choosing to adopt this policy, you can't simultaneously have a policy which increases your infantry units' HP or armor or weapon proficiency or cav units having more horse HP or whatever and so on. Someone can probably think of more original and exciting upgrades than straight up stat boosts.

It's not as exciting as having your custom units wearing the gear you chose for them with their own names, looks and proficiencies, but this could make the common troops more competitive against noble troops. It could also be a win harder kind of thing (which is why I don't want these policies upgrading noble troops to make Fians and KGs even more broken).

Yes that would be cool.
No sir. No one asks TW to do such thing because there is already a MOD that provides the features exactly you asked for. It's stable, supports custom items that added by other mods, has it's own balance mechanic (optional) though the best balance is nothing but yourself and also it allows you not only to create your own unique troop tree but to edit every vanilla troop tree either. I posted a link in my previous comment. Use it. It'll make you happy.

No sir. No one asks TW to do such thing because there is already a MOD that provides the features exactly you asked for. It's stable, supports custom items that added by other mods, has it's own balance mechanic (optional) though the best balance is nothing but yourself and also it allows you not only to create your own unique troop tree but to edit every vanilla troop tree either. I posted a link in my previous comment. Use it. It'll make you happy.
Yes I'm aware, thank you. I've used it on my latest playthrough, it is a great mod. But it would be better if it was somehow incorporated into the game.

Does it even matter? Even with 10000 yes votes TW would still ignore it.
They implemented the community request to make companions into vassal clans.

a MOD that provides the features exactly
You realise the modder kz14365 said "if taleworlds breaks stuff with a stupid hotfix again, I am not fixing it. I am very busy right now and I have a lot more important stuff I need to take care of." after updating My little Warband for 1.8.0.
EDIT: updated subsequently to v1.0.2
But it would be better if it was somehow incorporated into the game.
Agreed but unlikely.

BTW I voted other as I never much liked customising troops in WFaS and editing troop xmls gives more control.

Last edited:
I like to think that minor clan troops are themselves custom troops.

Seriously though, if such a feature is implemented, it needs to be balanced right. Like if the tier of troops and equipment you can afford is affected by your clan tier and ****.
the best implementation of something like this I've seen in Warband was in PoP mod.
You should be careful with your notions of balance, though, walling things behind grind isn't balance and can rather be harmful to the experience like we've seen so far with the nerf rage TW does, so many things in the game over the past 2 years were rendered either useless, boring or inefficient (along with removal of essential features like the ability to create custom formations by troop, we now got this awful slider that completely destroys nearly all manual strategy inputs)

Instead of locking it behind renown gain - which 99% of the game's features already do, the balancing should be made over income. So, if a troop has the best gear in game it must also have the highest daily wage + highest upgrade cost. Than I'd place the unlock of gear availability over territory & PC culture. If you are Battanian you can have all battanian gear available from the get go, while the best stuff from empire remains locked until you get territory that owns the relative gear... - on a side note, if something should be nerfed it'd need to be the negative daily wages, those shouldn't even exist, or at bare minimum troop wages should be significantly higher to the point that even with 400 steward they'd still cost us something.
So let's say someone wants Imperial Charger horses for their custom troops - your faction must own villages that produce horses and are Imp culture - Want some nice cataphract lances? Phine, must own iron mines within Imp culture territory - so on so forth. Since all cultures hold iron and horse villages that wouldn't be an issue at all and would place a rather alluring reason to capture certain territories. This I'd call balance, not some arbitrary number to encourage even stronger renown rush playstyles.

I said once that, in general, the greatest design flaw with BL's a lack of cohersion and excessive "disjointness" - basically all features are disjointed working independently being regulated by arbitrary number games - instead they should deepen the entire experience into a logical & intuitive system where things actually matter in conjunction. So, owning a smithy with a insane amount of iron mines (Epicrotea for instance) or the same with woodworks + logging villages (Seonon) should bring more to the table. If you control the top producing zone of iron your faction would obviously have more access to iron crafts making low tier armies cheaper - if your faction owns logging + iron and smithies (translating into mass production of steel), than higher tier troops should be more common and less expensive to maintain; And basically the logic would fall onto that. As is it's just bonkers, htf a faction manages to finance and field a full cataphract army with zero weapon & armor production + access to horses!? Doesn't make sense. At most they'd have a small unit of it and it'd be very costly - do you get what I mean!? The entire game's built upon very illogical systems, it's much more arcade than it is any sort of RTS simulation or even RPG.
And that's just a simple and small example - to me a lot of thing should be added / changed. Furthermore, some extra details should matter too, like winter + snow should fk up your troops if they aren't geared for that - I'd likely try and see if it was possible to actually make the shoulder armor piece, at bare minimu, into a slot that dynamically changes depending on season + region and pull something off like needing warmth materials or gear in the inventory for it to work - so if you went to sturgia as Aserai during winter you'd need a small stock of furs/pelts or cloak/pelt shoulder armor in your inventory, otherwise overtime your troops would start getting wounded / dying from attrition. A same logic for Desert zones over stockpiling water and having heat resistant cloth (silk/cotton) in your inventory
Anyway, I sidetracked from my initial thought, what I was going for was to repeat something I said before with more detailed explanation, which's that if I was in charge or put in charge of the lead design of the game I'd bin most of it's current systems and remake everything from scratch due to those reasons, they'd accomplish similar things but would work completely different... I already gave some thought about it all and I have a pretty good idea of how to do it, yet I'm no Game Designer for them and even if I was I'd have to pitch it and convince "da b0ss" to actually do it, which's probably impossible at this point.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any news on custom troops? They are not in the future plans plan nor anywhere else, but we have been surprised before. Do you think Taleworlds will surprise us again and add custom troops in some way?

Does anyone have any news on custom troops? They are not in the future plans plan nor anywhere else, but we have been surprised before. Do you think Taleworlds will surprise us again and add custom troops in some way?
I don't think that they will add it any time soon, but I hope that they will incorporate serve as a soldier/freelancer to the base game, though I doubt it.

Hahaha they have to fix all their sh*t first before implementing new features. The game is full of problems. Especially the AI.

Back
Top Bottom