Users who are viewing this thread

I had this idea as well. It really would make a lot of sense, since all the current troops are tied to the specific kingdoms (or bandits). This would help your own kingdom become much more unique and personal, and could reflect your own combat philosophies. Having a simple tier-restricted troop creator would be great. It could probably be done in a number of ways, but here is one off the top of my head:

A point/level-based system, where a given tier can have troops of a specific level or range of levels, and you spend points based on that to level up certain skills and abilities for them, and they'd get a certain amount of money (or further use of points) for use on gear, all of which is restricted to certain quality levels for the tier. Furthermore, you might get a troop type selection that further restricts/focuses their skill/equipment options, to help ensure you are making troops that fill the roles you want them to fill.

I think it would be better if the recruitment/upkeep costs in general were not standardized, since that seems pretty gamey to me, and if they weren't I'd say that the cost of the troops would depend on how strongly you built them. In general, even with the normal troops, this would allow you to choose troops based not only on their quality and how well they fill their role, but also based on how expensive they are. But that's probably something for a different discussion.

Yes, that would be awesone!
The train-your-own-troops-feature could be tied to different skills and perks.
Leadership for example unlocks tiers in the tree.
You start of with tier 0 that converts peasants to "followers"

T1 is unlocked by maybe rank 15 in Leadership. Units there have a small budget in terms of equipment and weight. You can choose between some t1 gear you have in your stash or inventory.
Combining it with smithing would be awesome, so it is even more customized.
A unit upgrade then would require peasants and the specific raw material, while at the same time granting some smithing-xp.

Please no. Linking it to those mmorpg like perks would be a bad idea.

I think it will be better that there is this existing primary troop tree but you can choose the weapons and armor for them but faction related. As you choose high tier armor and weapons they should cost more and need more xp to lvl up to this tier

I imagine this is at the top of a lot of peoples' wishlists, mine too, so I apologise if it's already been brought up and discussed to death.

I think it'd work best with a lot of elastic progression elements:
The player-kingdom Troop Tree is derived from that of their kingdom's parent culture. However, the trops are of a generally worse quality skills-wise, and their equipment is knocked down a tier, with negative modifiers.

The player can hire trainers to improve troops' skills (companions/governors/vassals could also serve the role). If the player terminates the trainer's employment, the troops' skills regress. Skills/focus/attributes could be automatically assigned based on the troop's role (per their gear), modified by trainer quantity/quality, parent culture, and maybe a couple levers for the player.
A bonus to the effective training level of kingdom troops in one's party could be added to heros' Leadership skill tree.

The player can invest gold to upgrade the troops' equipment sets, allowing them to freely choose weapons and armour for each troop, within tiers respective of their rank. More expensive gear makes them more expensive to recruit/level up and increases their wage.
New equipment is rolled out gradually over a couple in-game weeks, during which some of the troops of a given type will still wear/wield the old equipment.

Towns would have equipment workshops, which determine the average equipment quality modifiers of the kingdom's troops. Again, heroes could play a role here with high-smithing characters adding a bonus. The player can also invest monetarily here, to keep those imports flowing.
Demand for the comoddities needed to produce each piece of equipment would be reflected by the materials needed in their production - affecting price of troop upgrades and wages and the city/kingdom's economy.

In summary, the quality of troops and their equipment is just as much about the kingdom's economy/manufacturing to support them, not just which equipment you choose for them. The player may find themselves having to downgrade their troops in some way to keep costs down or to stabilise their economy.

That's all very intricate but just one example of how it could work and how much it could add; Better player expression, more moneysinks for the player - The Warband mods that feature it are an order of magnitude more enjoyable for it.

Yes, it was like this in some mods in Warband. Many things like this, that were present in Warband's main Mods (but not the base game) should have been collected and refined into the base Bannerlord game.

Player Faction troop tiers and customised equipment/clothing/skills. The ability to assign (or have already assigned) a character to collect and change taxes, recruit/train troops in all fiefs, change laws and internal politics (like Serfdom or something else). As well as messengers that can be sent to other factions to distribute gifts to lords, improve relations, declare war or sign treaties like trade, non-aggression, etc. There were also NPCs that allowed you to create patrol parties and grant fiefs to companions.

Even tho it sounds rather nice, it would ruin the uniqueness of the troops. After all what are the differences between sturgian and aseraian (how m i suppose to call some1 from aserai?) two infantary troops if you can make them wear the same gear? Stats alone means nothing for me

I'm down with it, only so I can cheese the system with all the best **** and give it a bonkers stat allocation to min-max my troops.

Even tho it sounds rather nice, it would ruin the uniqueness of the troops.

Yes, it would. Do you care that much though? It would only be the player's clan/faction, most likely, so there would still be regular troops running around.

(how m i suppose to call some1 from aserai?)

Aserai. An Aserai merchant. Two Aserai riders*. The Aserai Band. An army of Aserai.

*Confusing because the horse is called Aserai as well.

Even tho it sounds rather nice, it would ruin the uniqueness of the troops. After all what are the differences between sturgian and aseraian (how m i suppose to call some1 from aserai?) two infantary troops if you can make them wear the same gear? Stats alone means nothing for me
Custom armor but limit by range of tier and faction

Let us go crazy with it. No limits to culture, only wealth and time. Lock them behind a renown tier, or a leadership perk, I don't care. But let us go crazy.

Also there's cultural overlap with gear, so limiting things that way is a bad idea imo.

We should have the option of creating our own troop tree for our kingdom. We could go to a character creation screen, make a character for each tier of troops, and can choose from a predetermined list of weapons and armor what each tier of troops would wear or use. Such as for the recruits, we only have a few options of clothing, and bad weapons. These custom troops would be available in the villages, and cities we conquer.
Yes! This would be totally awesome! I would love to explore making my own custom troop tree in the game!

Let us go crazy with it. No limits to culture, only wealth and time. Lock them behind a renown tier, or a leadership perk, I don't care. But let us go crazy.

Also there's cultural overlap with gear, so limiting things that way is a bad idea imo.
ECONOMY, PRODUCTION, SOCIAL STABILITY, ARMIES MAINTENANCE and EQUIPMENT MAINTENANCE
SMITHING SKILL, EQUIPMENT DETERIORATION and MAINTENANCE system, PRICE BALANCE.

I had already thought of something like this and a way to balance it would be in the threads I wrote about the economy (and prices), the loot system and the "equipment condition and maintenance" system.

Do you want an army equipped with the best you can find?
the cost is high and the maintenance, both for the use of that equipment and for the simple passage of time, is high.
If you use equipment and it gets damaged, you will need to repair it.
If that equipment is very expensive or elaborate, the maintenance materials will also be expensive.
You don't fight for a long time and think your army can stay with its equipment forever without consequences?
You have to carry out maintenance against the wear and tear of time and atmospheric conditions and this also costs.

In short, you can insert everything, the important thing is to make the effort to imagine how to balance everything, instead of excluding a priori every proposal just because you cannot imagine a way to balance it.

And if anyone is afraid that armor that is too good is insurmountable, it is enough for them to see my thread on the armor system to understand that "anyone can be defeated" even with the minimum of resources available, but only on condition that they do not spam them. attacks hoping to do damage.

JOINT HURTBOXES and ARMOR HURTBOXES: an armor system that provide a way to balance factions warfare and make more deep the combat system(suggestions)

And if an army is too strong because it manages to maintain itself and is well equipped, does this mean that it is unbeatable?
Perhaps on the field it would be very difficult to deal with, but not all battles should be fought on the battlefield.
And for such approaches I wrote these threads:
ECONOMY , LOGISTICS and WARFARE SUGGESTION LIST

Quick update: if implemented similarly to the Custom Troops Mod, it also gives more of a purpose to smithing as the crafted weapons are actually available for the custom soldiers!

Back
Top Bottom