Custom Troops Discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Leonion

Master Knight
This topic is for discussing anything related to custom troops, be it MG mercs, household guards, their looks, their balance, their everything.
Don't start new threads.

I don't know if this has been suggested before, but i would do it anyway. So, what if we had the ability to have our own troop tree in the game? You know, like give them custom names, equipment, skills etc. And to be honest, it wouldn't be that hard to configure, there's already a mod called Custom Troop Trees, but it's native. It would be nice if Perisno had something like that aswell wouldn't it? :shifty:

SirWombat said:
Perhaps make it so they're hired from the mercenary guild or someone named Ingvar...
Yeah, I think that's how I will do it.
I should add this new feature to the changelog of the upcoming Perisno 0.8.

smilie.php

Leonion said:
SirWombat said:
Perhaps make it so they're hired from the mercenary guild or someone named Ingvar...
Yeah, I think that's how I will do it.
I should add this new feature to the changelog of the upcoming Perisno 0.8.
I suggested to have custom troops recruitable just like the other factions, from towns and villages. It's kinda stupid to travel so many miles just to get a few soldiers, while your lords just randomly get them with ease. Basically your own culture your kingdom has.

Dimitris5050 said:
I suggested to have custom troops recruitable just like the other factions, from towns and villages. It's kinda stupid to travel so many miles just to get a few soldiers, while your lords just randomly get them with ease. Basically your own culture your kingdom has.
-------------------------------------
Dimitris5050 said:
I don't know if this has been suggested before, but i would do it anyway. So, what if we had the ability to have our own troop tree in the game? You know, like give them custom names, equipment, skills etc. And to be honest, it wouldn't be that hard to configure, there's already a mod called Custom Troop Trees, but it's native. It would be nice if Perisno had something like that aswell wouldn't it? :shifty:
In this message I don't see any words resembling "town", "village", "recruit" or anything of the like.

Custom WP, names and tree structure would make for unique experiences. (having more or less branches, making more niche troops for OP value or more general purpose soldiers with varying styles).
That'd be too much work, though, I assume.

Cerber said:
Custom WP, names and tree structure would make for unique experiences. (having more or less branches, making more niche troops for OP value or more general purpose soldiers with varying styles).
That'd be too much work, though, I assume.
It's been done.  One of the forks of Phantasy has a fully customizable troop tree, and you even get to choose how many branches, etc.  It is completely bonkers how overpowered they are. 

It's the sad truth of custom troops.  To make them relevant for the average player, they have to be absolutely overpowered for a min-maxer.  Thus any mod that has custom troops is either completely unbalanced by them (Phantasy, Pendor, Perisno, Suvarnabhumi Mahayuth, etc.) or has custom troops that most players considered not worth bothering with.  Personally, I love the custom troops in Floris.  They are balanced just right, and make great garrisons.  Of course, тхеъ max out at tier V in a mod with tier VII troops, so most people consider them sнiт.  Too many people cannot look past sheer power to see the cost effectiveness.

Lets be honest.  Perisno .8 has great ways of making money, and enough experience and free upgrades that once you start getting household troops in quantity, you're done.  I employ one household troop, as an armorer, and dress him accordingly.

A custom troop tree that you can fine tune for fill every niche in the game?  Check how this works out in SuvMa, where at the end I had snipers who could kill a man across the map, archers that could keep mobs in stun lock with firecracker arrows, knights that could take multiple shots in the chest... and my favorite.  Ludicrous armor, zweihander, pavise, pistol.  Reload from cover, fire at the enemy until they get near, then chop them into tiny pieces.

Wouldn't expect anything else, but I always find myself looking for cost-effective gear, rather than aesthetics for lower tier and utility/stats for final tiers of the troops. The household troops I usually make as an elite unit with endgame armor, mandatory wyvern/wolf mount (depends on role-play) and a playthrough-specific main weapon. Making them OP is optional, though, which was my point.

Problem is they are too cost efficient sometimes (even without abusing incorrect calculations with certain gear, like Dwarwen xbow on top custom troops lowering their price drasticly also being strong weapon). I made shield infantry\xbowmen and melee cavalry\lancers with 30-50% lower upkeep than same tier faction troops, but with much better gear... Harder to do it with 2h\Halberd infantry (usually around 30% difference) and horse archers (usually more expensive) though...

T.L.S. said:
Dwarwen xbow
Thanks for a tip, that will be taken into account and nerfed.  :twisted:

T.L.S. said:
I made shield infantry\xbowmen and melee cavalry\lancers with 30-50% lower upkeep than same tier faction troops, but with much better gear...
But what about health, skills, WPs? Can you give me examples of troops you compared?

I tested that part of the balance by taking a regular soldier and a custom soldier with similar stats and copying all the gear from the former to the latter. Upkeep was usually either very similar of more cost-efficient in favor of regular soldiers.

Tier-wise custom mercs are usually better (because with best gear they can be as strong as regular troops who are 1-2 tiers higher than them), but they shouldn't be more cost-efficient.

But what about health, skills, WPs? Can you give me examples of troops you compared?
I don't have neither WB or savegames on laptop and far from main PC, but i can try to recreate some of the merc trees later.
Mercs stats usually slightly lower than those of faction troops, but gear compensate it easily. Only infantry that i can't beat with mercs in terms of effectiveness for their price are Hakkonesse one.

T.L.S. said:
I made shield infantry\xbowmen and melee cavalry\lancers with 30-50% lower upkeep than same tier faction troops, but with much better gear..

The player is supposed to be the military genius-hero that unites Perisno. Efficient new gear of his army is a natural thing for the future emperor :razz:

On this note, I wanted to please tell someone to alert the user when adding gear to the household troops. Modifiers on the gear get lost (NOOOOOOEEEEESSSSS!!!!!)

I just found out  :lol:

Back
Top Bottom