Custom Settlements Original Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So many good mods out there and all of them have some features I would like to have in a single mod.
Custom settlements is something I have always wanted, but I guess it's hard to make a scene for every upgrade.

wickedshot said:
Custom Settlements 0.1 [WIP] Download

Purpose:
I made this mod because of the times when I'd be given a village and do everything I could to make it better, only to see no noticeable effect.  So the main purpose of this mod is to have your efforts on your settlement matter.  Mainly I do this by changing the scene when you finish a stage of development, and having the troops in the scenes be the ones you put in.  Also, the overland map icon changes according to the stages.  Another purpose of this mod is to add more long term goals.  Theres a lot more for me to do but I figured I'd post what I've got so people can try it out or use parts of it.  A lot of what I've made is also based on the things people have requested on the forums.

Basic Details:
The first Custom settlement (only 1 so far, more will come) starts as a Camp called Custow between Praven and Dhirim.  After you claim this settlement you'll be made part of a new faction belonging to you.  You can then rename the settlement and your new faction (will be renamed your current player name, which you can change to achieve desired results), and change its colour.  Then you can work on improving the settlement so you can increase its economy level or military level, both of which start at 0 and can be upgraded to 1 then 2.  Currently I've got a fair bit of functionality (much more than I want to list for brevities sake) with minimal issues, but as the 0.1 version number suggests, its far from complete.

Settlement Main Features:
Customizable and upgradeable
Troops can be garrisoned
Can wait in town
Battles nearby take place in the settlement with the help of the settlement troops
Different scenes for each combination of economy and military upgrades (9 different outdoor scenes)
Indoor scenes for tavern (requires economy level 2), manor (military 1), castle (military 2), prison (economy 1, military 2)
Chests you can store items in (1 to start, another one in manor and one more in castle)
Troops in scenes are actual units in the garrison and are active: prisoners run about gathering resources, peasants visit others and spend time at home, troops attack enemies and then return to their post
Occasional random encounters: travellers can visit, looters can wander near and become a nuisance
Time spent in settlement outdoor scenes improves your parties morale (they enjoy the downtime) and your reputation with the settlement
Time spent in settlement indoor scenes has benefits as well depending on building
Patrolling the scene can lower corruption.
Ability to set up mock battles using wooden weapons (got the idea from Lancien) under "Organize Population" menu (adds XP and upgrades to garrisoned troops based on training skill)
Can spend time training workers (upgrades peasants into crafters, increasing productivity)
Can spend time training recruits (upgrades peasants into recruits)
Personal food stores aren't used up when near settlement

Supplementary Features:
Talk to village elders to convince some of the peasants there to travel to your settlement (when the peasants arrive they'll be added to your garrison and improve the settlements prosperity and such up to a point).
Talk to guild masters to convince them to form a trade route with your settlement (caravans will visit your settlement and improve its prosperity).

Terms used:
Productivity: the quality of the workers from 0 to 100.
Workforce: total number of civilians + prisoners
Population: total number of non-military troops (currently, peasants and crafters only)
Corruption: higher corruption is generally bad

Two general upgrade paths:
Build personal structures and fortifications (military)
Build public structures (economy)

Three levels of economy:
None, Village, Town
Three levels of military:
None, Manor, Castle

To upgrade a level of military or economy has certain requirements found under menu option "Manage settlement", for example:
To upgrade to the first level of economy (i.e. build housing for a village), you need a prosperity of 50, a relation with the settlement of 10, a civilian population of 50, and 5000 gold, and then to wait 15 days

Next Planned Main Features:
multiple settlements
add your own lords
choose a steward to mind the settlement while youre gone
AI management
quests
upgradeable indoor areas
ability to close doors to castle
ability to add ladders during siege
general dynamic scene object placement
being raidable and degradeable and conquerable
arena
spouses, children
different dialogue personalities and options based on the random face numbers, also corruption and relation affecting convo
ability to raise a townsperson into a noble hero in scene (so if you find a random you like, you can talk to them and make them a hero char)
make it possible to garrison heroes again
hunting animals in scene
more and more ways to customize settlement and have it show
everything better
ive also got a very very long todo list of non-main features

I'd appreciate any ideas that are in line the with purpose of this mod or to generally improve it, which is basically anything that makes the settlement more personal and worth spending time at.  Also if anyone loves making scenes and would like to make a settlement in 9 stages of development (see the one currently in use to get a basic idea) let me know and I'll try to incorporate it.  And let me know of any issues or bugs you encounter, balance concerns, or any extra options and such you'd like.

For the Multiple settlements you should make them have to pay extra tools and extra stuff and have to train villagers specialized for settling then hire some men to protect them on there way of making a settlement

Also something basic i surprisingly forgot, how about making caravans for the towns? i keep seeing other factions caravans coming in and out but i dont see one from my New Praven :mrgreen:

rkid3 said:
Also how do you upgrade the settlement because i have the right stuff for a manor
click the "Manage Settlement" menu option.
then pick "Build fortifications", if that option isn't there click "List of upgrade requirements" and it'll tell you what you need to build a manor, and also what you currently have for reference, so compare the Manor X/X/X/X/X/X/X to the Current X/X/X/X/X/X/X as you must be short on one of them if the option isn't showing.

this can grow into something that will stop me from jumping from mod to mod, maybe when this releases, it will be somewhat of a revolutionary mod, that can change how games are made alltogether............realism in total

Custom Settlements 0.3 released, also linked in first post.

Major changes include:
Multiple settlements system
New settlements:
Charfield: near Halmar, big open area (max size) and flat-ish, great for horse archers.  has a nice marketplace
Ettlesen: near Yalen, in a hidden valley with ruins, interesting terrain and cool castle and towers
Can add Lords/Ladies, must have a Castle Town (econ2/military2) and have claimed an extra settlement, then enter Castle and talk to your companion and ask them.  Note only your first two troops enter the castle with you.  You can give orders to your lords on the world map; and can gather all your lords and ask where they all are, by talking to the peasant elder (will change this function to steward)

Other Changes:
Peasants sometimes leave villages and come to your settlement (and your lords settlements), high prosperity increases the chance of this.
Peasants sometimes leave villages and roam aimlessly, you can meet them on the overland map and convince them to go to your settlement, or hope they randomly find it heh.
Many other changes, like cattle follow instead of being driven.

Next thing I'm doing is adding the ability to create caravans and troop parties to guard patrol your settlements (to help out before you can get lords), and add some more settlements.  Also working on adding a steward and general AI for lords and their settlements so they grow.

Module files source code released as well, linked in second post.  Theres also a guide to how to make your own custom settlement scenes from scratch, anyone doing so can upload them and I'll try to incorporate them.

Is there any reason why i have 4 "travelling peasants" groups waiting outside my village, in the dip between the custow and haringoth castle?

rkid3 said:
Is there any reason why i have 4 "travelling peasants" groups waiting outside my village, in the dip between the custow and haringoth castle?
have you tried talking to them and convincing them to go to your settlement?

theres a disabled shell of a custom settlement there, but they shouldnt be trying to go there unless something really weird has happened.  anything out of the ordinary happen in your game?

Beautifulll

Just beautifull

Keep up the good work :smile:

Just a question will my lords actually spend money in upgrading my sttlements?

Hey just above this thread theres another one with a tuturial on how to make quests, that should be usefull :wink:

Also how about a buidilng that reduces the time required to upgrade? :mrgreen:

Francisian said:
Beautifulll

Just beautifull

Keep up the good work :smile:

Just a question will my lords actually spend money in upgrading my sttlements?

Not in that version.  I'm currently working on 0.4 and have been working on turning a companion into your steward (will take care of your city while you're away and be helpful in organizing your lords) and AI settlement management (code to make the AI controlled settlements grow and upgrade).  I've pretty much completed both of those and going to work on being able to create your own caravans and non-lord army patrols.  Before I post version 0.4 I want to make another settlement (this time in snow terrain) and complete the caravans and patrols, and some general polishing.

Very good then but i have that haringoth error to report aswelll :???:

I went to that casttle village and "bought" 3 peasnt groups, i got 3 red eroor messages, 2 grouos were going to custow but the other one satyed behind and i coudlnt talk them into coming(surrender or die or leave), the other 2 groups didnt came in because the third one was behind doing nothing :cry:

Ohwelll im going to try buiyng one at a time :wink:

Juts thought you should know :cool:

Dindt work....

Some peasnts do travel there and add to the sttlement but other just stay outside betwhen the haringoth casttle and custow doing nothing, and not only that but i dont an option to convince them to go to my sttlement :cry:

This should be because of that error message that appears everytime i click to "buy" more peasnts from villlages

DOWLOADING!!!!  This mod has so much potential it's scary. not just in its own case but for the whole modding community and possibly the game it self. Mr Armagan will take notice of this work without doubt. Outstanding work by any stretch of the imagintion.

And a little idea for that more personalised feel your after in this mod. WHen your peasents become recruits. they become swadian recruits. Perhaps this is an opporunity to have your own troop tree, personalised army for your own faction. doesn't need to be a massive troop tree, could be same size as other factions, could be smaller, but enough to offer infantry, mounted, and ranged. For the lowest recruit there are a small number of items able to be chosen, and as they upgrade, the item list remains only more choices are available. so while you can chose to have your whole troop tree wear fur for that barbarian look, you can't chose plate mail for every rank... coz thats just silly, or maybe you can, i'm sure that would be someones dream too hehe

It gives the player that personalise feeling and helps greatly with the, two identical armies clashing frustration.
But i'm off to play this mod and get no sleep once again. Thank you!!!.

wickedshot said:
rkid3 said:
have you tried talking to them and convincing them to go to your settlement?

theres a disabled shell of a custom settlement there, but they shouldnt be trying to go there unless something really weird has happened.  anything out of the ordinary happen in your game?

When i talk to them, i get the option to let them go or to say "surrender or die"? and i only just started them game so nothing out of the ordinary has happened yet.

Yeah same with mine :cry:

This seriusly hampers this mods as in the early game everytime spending 200 ducats for nothing is very bad :wink:

Its abiout the code22 and script or something like that in the red message, something about peasnt herd :mrgreen:

Oh well i put cheats in my game to compensate the losses no more no less :idea:(that 1k dennar gold cheat)

Hey i got an idea for the start up logo for your mod, how about a sky screen shot of one of your sttlements fully developed?

Francisian said:
Dindt work....

Some peasnts do travel there and add to the sttlement but other just stay outside betwhen the haringoth casttle and custow doing nothing, and not only that but i dont an option to convince them to go to my sttlement :cry:

This should be because of that error message that appears everytime i click to "buy" more peasnts from villlages

same here

Don't have that problem, but when I ask a village elder about sending peasants to my custom settlement (I chose the one in Rhodok territory first) they go to Custow instead of the one I actually own.

When this happens to red script error messages come up.

well thats another bug. but that one could be easyly solved by putting in a new dialog for every custum sttlement you have so that when your going to ask for peasnts you can chose betwen them :wink: with a different script or trigger for each setlement or something like that

The worst bug is that iddle peasnts one :???:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom