Custom Settlements Original Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
For now the Elder Peasant has no function (that I saw so far). I don't know what is planned for him but for now the only place I can see information on my settlement in the overmap (number of peasants, craftsmen and townies in the troop list). Information like this could be incorporated in the conversation with the Elder Peasant.
His name at the time also only fits a village or camp and not a town, perhaps you could change it to something more neutral or exchange him with each upgrade.
  • Camp: Eldest (old man in simple clothes)
  • Village: Village Elder (old man in better clothes)
  • Town: Guildmaster, Mayor, Speaker of the Council (middle aged man in fine clothes)

Heroes
If there is a plan for more heroes perhaps some should only appear after a certain upgrade like a good fighter when you build a castle (military 2) and a good trader when you build a town (comercial 2).
Or instead there are "lesser" heroes, people that function in part like a hero (undying...) but don't have a name (just Trader or Captain) and only function as a trader or patrol leader.

Slaves/Workers
For now, the slaves are just running from one place (like the mine in the port city) to another (a gathering space?). Would it be possible for them to really work, hacking with picks at some rocks (mining) or at wood in a forest (wood cutting)? These would only require the normal attack movements.

Berpol said:
For now the Elder Peasant has no function (that I saw so far). I don't know what is planned for him but for now the only place I can see information on my settlement in the overmap (number of peasants, craftsmen and townies in the troop list). Information like this could be incorporated in the conversation with the Elder Peasant.
His name at the time also only fits a village or camp and not a town, perhaps you could change it to something more neutral or exchange him with each upgrade.
  • Camp: Eldest (old man in simple clothes)
  • Village: Village Elder (old man in better clothes)
  • Town: Guildmaster, Mayor, Speaker of the Council (middle aged man in fine clothes)

Heroes
If there is a plan for more heroes perhaps some should only appear after a certain upgrade like a good fighter when you build a castle (military 2) and a good trader when you build a town (comercial 2).
Or instead there are "lesser" heroes, people that function in part like a hero (undying...) but don't have a name (just Trader or Captain) and only function as a trader or patrol leader.

Slaves/Workers
For now, the slaves are just running from one place (like the mine in the port city) to another (a gathering space?). Would it be possible for them to really work, hacking with picks at some rocks (mining) or at wood in a forest (wood cutting)? These would only require the normal attack movements.
In a friendly settlement there are chances that the elder offer you an option of paying 200 gold to organize a crowd of immigrants to your settlement(I remember the action might reduce player's relationship with that settlement), possibly

wyz17153 said:
In a friendly settlement there are chances that the elder offer you an option of paying 200 gold to organize a crowd of immigrants to your settlement(I remember the action might reduce player's relationship with that settlement), possibly
Thanks, I haven't had that one yet but I gave up talking to them after a time, I only talked to my own Elder.

Suggestions for other events
Elder: Mylord, the winter is hard and some people suggested to gather a hunting party. I know that <hero with best Tracking skill> is a very good hunter, could you spare him to lead these men?
You agree -> The hero returns after a week, you get a random number of food (meat, sausages...)
You disagree -> nothing happens OR lowered relation OR possible loss of peasants

Elder: Mylord, traders have heard of a possible new trade route. Could you spare <heroe with best Path Finding> to help map the route?
You agree -> The hero returns after a week, city prosperity increases OR you get money OR a free trade caravan
You disagree -> nothing happens OR lowered prosperity

Peasant Elders also can send groups of peasants from your settlement to your vassals settlements.

About heroes and different levels of heroes.  I'm intending to make the better heroes much harder to get to join you.  Currently all Heroes simply require 10+ relation (when they are free heroes) regardless of their skills, but that will be higher for some later, and some might require money each time you ask them to join you.

About animations, I know nothing of whats possible in that area and such would be post 1.0 for certain if its possible.

About your event ideas, I'll keep such in mind for version 0.9 when I work more on quests and the like.

I figured that "she" was too good natured to be a guy :smile: I'd been wondering a while, but didn't want to ask, as it really makes no difference at all. Though it is amusing how most men will change their "tone" once they "know"

Hey wickedshot, are you already working on the dynamical placement of scene props? I'm very interested about the results...

HockerTJ said:
I figured that "she" was too good natured to be a guy :smile: I'd been wondering a while, but didn't want to ask, as it really makes no difference at all. Though it is amusing how most men will change their "tone" once they "know"
Assumptions are funny, in this thread people have called me chosen one, chinese, man, god, scholar, and android heh.
Ultimately it shouldn't matter, unless I have stalkers in which case I'm a dangerous psychopath.

@Soil:  No, I'm working on raiding and such.

wickedshot said:
HockerTJ said:
Assumptions are funny, in this thread people have called me chosen one, chinese, man, god, scholar, and android heh.
Ultimately it shouldn't matter, unless I have stalkers in which case I'm a dangerous psychopath.

@Soil:  No, I'm working on raiding and such.

Just goes to show that I should stop defaulting to the assumption that most video gamers (and thus by extension, video game community members) are male.
Regarding my use of "Good Man.", I say that regardless of gender. Although, I do differentiate between dudes and dudettes.

But you two are right, it doesn't make a difference...unless we start modding different castles for male/female tastes.

Edit: Off topic, but wish to express that any gender being nicer than the other is a myth. Seriously, have met bad apples on both sides.  :shock:

Edit 2: I guess my whole post was off topic.

@wyz regarding localized sound objects: I'm looking into how they do the "barking" dog in native (sometimes you'll hear them in town in native scenes). Wish me luck. Will let you guys know if I find anything fruitful.

Liquidninja said:
[...] it doesn't make a difference...unless we start modding different castles for male/female tastes.

+1 to that :smile:

...bb shortly - already writing a post in another tab :grin:

OK, I'm about to ask a noob/stupid question, and i bet i'll get at least one flame... :neutral:

Anyway, i upgraded my town into a manor village (1 eco. and 1 military upgrade), and there's no things different about it...it still looks like a normal camp :???: BUT, the weaponsmith IS here, and so is the merchant, and the peasant elder...will it change when i upgrade it into a town?

Dragon13 said:
OK, I'm about to ask a noob/stupid question, and i bet i'll get at least one flame... :neutral:

Anyway, i upgraded my town into a manor village (1 eco. and 1 military upgrade), and there's no things different about it...it still looks like a normal camp :???: BUT, the weaponsmith IS here, and so is the merchant, and the peasant elder...will it change when i upgrade it into a town?

@ Dragon13:

Is the town you're upgrading by any chance named EmptXX? (XX being any combination of letters). If so, that is why. All of the EmptXX settlements still need to be worked on for the scenes. The AI has no trouble building on them, but you will!

So, for now, stick to the marvelous 8 settlements we have in the game (with unique names! Kargala, Custow, Ettlesen, etc).

Hope that helps :smile:

P.S. Flame? Fire? Haven't seen any of that in this post in the 70ish pages it's progressed :wink:

Liquidninja said:
Dragon13 said:

@ Dragon13:

Is the town you're upgrading by any chance named EmptXX? (XX being any combination of letters). If so, that is why. All of the EmptXX settlements still need to be worked on for the scenes. The AI has no trouble building on them, but you will!

So, for now, stick to the marvelous 8 settlements we have in the game (with unique names! Kargala, Custow, Ettlesen, etc).

Hope that helps :smile:

P.S. Flame? Fire? Haven't seen any of that in this post in the 70ish pages it's progressed :wink:

GFGT

*ahem*

Yes, that is the problem...didn't know that. Aw, man. I worked so hard on it, too! Well, i can always start a new game with one of the named ones... and cheat so i can get the same relation/prosparity the same. Well, it doesn't make much of a difference, actually...just some more confusion XD.
Oh, and i don't have the patience to read 70+ pages. Yeah, a little long for me. Sorry?... :smile:

On an unrelated topic, did anyone else have Borcha capture the auto-city? He did that in...what? 20 in-game days?

Also, will i be able to see my steward? Cause if i'm not mistaken, he only appears in the castles...

at last... i'm back  :smile:

@wickedshot: i'm really sorry for not keeping my promise to finish the scene, but my box went dead last Friday and i just get it back from service... since i'm constantly fighting unexpected problems this year  :sad: .. i will not promise to finish Empta this weekend, but i WILL try :wink: - i have two more castles to build (for e0m2 and e1m2) - the rest is nearly done - some minor tweaks here and there and such... i just hope i'll have time 'n' resources :wink:

@Dalizon: i'm glad You like my humble (:wink:) presentation - as wicked already mentioned  - it was more for the reasons to test and to show the possibilities of 'castle-making', and (imo) it turned out good enough to be included in this mod :wink:
i hope You'll enjoy other scenes of Empta (i'll keep calling it so, leaving final naming to the author of this (imo) superior mod), 'cause, even without any requests i was going to make castle for e0m2 entirely wooden...

@Liquidninja: nice work on that 'marsh' environment - i'm a bit jealous i haven't came up with such an idea myself  :cool: i may still try to make something similar but still different :wink:

@Liquidninja, Achilles_, other scene-makers and whoever it may concern :idea: - here's my initial setup and some ideas of what i base my scenes on:
first - i look for good place for camp-fire, so it later may become a town-center - as one may have noticed: historically most of the cities have expanded nearly equally in all directions (if there are not some natural hard-to-remove obstacles) and their geographical center stays nearly the same through ages, also, because of some odd reasons (i can't explain) i usually place first camp-fire on some hill-top (or very near to it), but i look for good places nearby to place a tavern and trading posts later on
the castle HAS TO BE built around the highest spot in given area - at least in my country we even have term that could be translated as 'castle-hill' in English - that's where all the medieval castles were here... that's not a requirement, but 'castle overlooking the city it guards' not only looks nice, it has defensive bonuses too  :razz:
slave routes: for e0 level i just 'plant' some and drop some fallen trees along with wood heap somewhere and make them 'bring it' to the 'resource stock' near camp site... if there's a river (or lake) on map, i drop in a net or two, some fish and basket on the shore and add a couple of slave-entrancepoints here too, or, if i have some 'good place' for ruins - they can also 'gather' some rocks...
for e1 'planted forest' may be entirely removed if there is some hill-side to place a 'mine-entrance' there, the 'fishing-spot' becomes upgraded, also some crop fields appear and such...
your best bet for e2 is making a mill (preferably on nice-looking hill-top :wink:), along with some 'fishing industry', a mine (or two), if available, and all kinds of 'farmable goods' covering any good-enough-looking spot - set a 'gathering spot' somewhere slaves have clear access to - ehmmm... nothing to add here  :cool: (and looks good too :grin:)
as for walls: if i was some kind of lord in a world like Calradia, where there are bandit hordes rowing around and taking over any settlement they can, i may want to enclose ALL my control area with 50-feet walls to prevent unnecessary causalities! ... but, on the other hand, if i'm some sitting-on-the-money-bag type i may concentrate on well-defended castle, leaving a city without any defense at all - allowing peasants and townspeople to get refuge in castle and rebuilding their houses after the siege may be more profitable if there's not a constant treat...
irl we usually have something in-between, so neither way is wrong... and in this case i believe: the more DIFFERENT cities scene makers will provide - the more satisfaction players will get... isn't that our goal?

i've spoken  :cool:

p.s. noticed that my English isn't as good as i want it to be, but *the hell* - it isn't even my second, so why should i care :razz:

Are there any plans to make other activities available when you are visiting a scene similar to what the craft mod offers that may assist in boosting your resources and popularity(when your peasants see you get your hands dirty doing a little manual labor)?
ie: chop/gather wood, hunting, mining, fishing..

The mod is fantastic, I just wanted to know if there will be additional things to do on scene besides knocking out bandits and talking to travelers. I enjoyed playing the last release. :wink:

Dragon13 said:
Also, will i be able to see my steward? Cause if i'm not mistaken, he only appears in the castles...

if i'm not mistaken (or forgot something) You should bring one of Your heroes (first two slots of Your party) to the castle and ask him to become one

SPQR said:
Are there any plans [...]?

the plans are big - if at least half of them will become implemented we will get a completely different game from vanilla M&B...

...i'm looking up to it  :cool:

Dragon13 said:
Yes, that is the problem...didn't know that. Aw, man. I worked so hard on it, too! Well, i can always start a new game with one of the named ones... and cheat so i can get the same relation/prosparity the same. Well, it doesn't make much of a difference, actually...just some more confusion XD.
Oh, and i don't have the patience to read 70+ pages. Yeah, a little long for me. Sorry?... :smile:

If it's any consolation to you at all, that happened to me on my first play through too. (Though to make matters worse, my settlement actually had the village scene, so I was even more confused when everything started disappearing). Don't worry though, the settlements that are finished are all quite fun :smile:

@ DaLiO, Those were some good tips, I will definitely be taking up and using whatever knowledge I've gained from that. I'm a huge fan of Empta myself, and it's actually inspired me quite a bit, so thanks for that. I hope it works out (your computer troubles), and I look forward to seeing your settlement in game! If you have any more ideas or helpful insights, please share them; I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

SPQR said:
Are there any plans to make other activities available when you are visiting a scene similar to what the craft mod offers that may assist in boosting your resources and popularity(when your peasants see you get your hands dirty doing a little manual labor)?
ie: chop/gather wood, hunting, mining, fishing..

The mod is fantastic, I just wanted to know if there will be additional things to do on scene besides knocking out bandits and talking to travelers. I enjoyed playing the last release. :wink:
I've considered something like chopping wood.  Its conceivable.  The workings of the Practice dummies suggest to me that I could make a tree that you chop to knock down, or make it possible to break rocks.
I'll know more of whats possible after version 0.7 and will prolly implement such either in 0.9 or post 1.0.

Yup.. It is possible.  It has already been done in the craft mod. Basically you have to buy an axe or pick to chop trees/ mine ore. You walk up to a tree or enter a mine and actually swing the item and each tree or rock gives you a certain amount of resources. It was pretty interesting and I think would just compliment your mod.  Although, I must say.. you have really done a nice job thus far.  :smile: 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom