Custom Player-Made Heraldry

Users who are viewing this thread

TuranianGhazi

Sergeant
Hey all,
Since I got into a bit of a custom banner making spree, I thought it'd be a good idea to start a topic where we all post our creations for others to enjoy and maybe even utilize. Just send messages or e-mails to each other if there are particular ones people would like to use. I really do think, in addition to custom music, that custom banners really add to the immersion in the game. Anyways, without further ado, I'll showcase some of my creations:

My Homeland, REPRESENT!:
kz2.jpg
kz3.jpg

My country, REPRESENT!:
usa1.jpg
[
usa2.jpg

My faith, REPRESENT!:
ma1.jpg
ma2.jpg

My current banner which I'm using:
rwb1.jpg
rwb2.jpg

Now, with my custom banners, I prefer to use large ones that cover the entire banner, because imho, smaller ones dont look as good because on heraldic armor they're at midwaist, like so
rwa1.jpg
rwa2.jpg

So, I tinkered with image placement in order to get the main image on the Heraldic armor's chest area instead of groin area lol. Here it is
mb1.jpg
It could still go a little higher, on the next rendition, however the problem came with shields
mb2.jpg
Large long shields were fine, but short round shields were not

Anyways, I'd love to see your peeps' creations!

Peace

Nah this is cool, i never would have read about it otherwise :wink:

It's too bad heralds can't be higher-res, i always found them a bit blurry or is it just me?

No, they are blurry, and, especially so, on my current very, very low settings .. not that Warband graphics are exceptional to begin with lol

My laptop sucks and keeps telling me its got low memory (only 1024 MB, barely over 1GB) But it's been serving me well for the last 3 and half years, so it's a trooper!

Yeah, I'm getting a new kick-ass laptop at the end of spring, soon! Idk, but my custom banners look way shinier than normal ones, easier to tell my troops apart, especially with the red banner

Technically this may be counted as modification, but it is made specifically for Warband vanilla. And this thread is located in another (less-populated) forum, and it is not really about what I am doing here.

I am slowly redrawing default banners, not only providing extra spiffy heraldry for players, but improving appearance of all banners in the game. Why? Because I think that majority of them are boring. More than that, I don't see logic in them. For example, why two Jarls got crossbows as charges on their banners? They are Jarls, not Counts!

Anyway. Right now two files are completely done: banners_a.dds (all Swadia plus 2 extra) and banners_kingdoms.dds (well, kingdoms).

So, without further ado: banners_a, banners_kingdoms.

You can do whatever you want with these two images. If you are going to paste them in your respective .dds files, it would be (probably) great. You can also use these images for whatever mod you are going to create, and it would be nice if you'll mention me as an artist who draw them.

Now, which banner is whose.

In banners_a we have Swadian Counts, with two exceptions.

Leftmost banner in bottom row can't be selected as player heraldry. When you are borrowing heraldry from some lord, he gains this banner in exchange. That is why it is neutral and in my opinion extra cool: for justice! Oh, and for some reason Lady Isolla has it by default.

Bottom right banner belongs to Boyar Vuldrat, ruler of snowy Khudan.

Top row: Klargus (Suno), Delinard (Uxkhal), Haringoth, Clais (Dhirim), Deglan, Tredian, Grainwad.
Mid row: Ryis, Plais, Mirchaud, Stamar, Meltor, Beranz, Rafard.
Bot row: Replacement banner, Devlian, Rafarch, Rochabarth, Despin, Montewar, Boyar Vuldrat (Khudan).

Banners_kingdoms is pretty obvious.

Top row: Ragnar, Yaroglek, Sanjar, Graveth.
Bot row: Hakim, Harlaus, player kingdom.

Now, something about my rules of heraldry. First of all: I do know real-world heraldic somewhat, and I do NOT use this knowledge in this work. Cause it's boring.

You may notice that lots of Swadian Counts have lions and horses. That is because lion seems to be Swadian symbol, and horse is, well, you know what it is fro Swadia. There won't be any lions on any non-swadian banners. Nords, for example, would be stacked by crosses, axes, crows and probably wolves. Khergits and Sarranids, I think, won't always have banners in pseudo-european style of other four factions. They are too asian for this. Banner of Sultan Hakim is good explanation of what I mean by saying this.

Again, it is possible that I've chosen wrong forum. If it is so, please don't kill me right away.

Comments about new banners are welcome. Next batch probably would be Rhodoks, because I wage war with them in my current game.

good thread
it's one thing to have a thread in the modding forums taking requests, but this is to show off your heraldry

and here is mine
mb20.jpg

Woa, guys, I really like all of yours. With your permission, I'd like to use them in my SP playthroughs.

Othr and other modders should take notice of your skills guys!

I'm currently relearning everything because I've been gone for almost a year.

Also, community:

How to use Hex Edit to change surcoat colors to match with your custom banner? I used to be able to do it a year ago. Now I forgot again. Doi

Nice, I swear i would love to make my own, can any of you put a quick tutorial how, i have gimp so thats covered.

Urlik said:
good thread
it's one thing to have a thread in the modding forums taking requests, but this is to show off your heraldry

and here is mine
mb20.jpg

Very, very nice.

While most of these banners are rather neato to look at, I just cannot help myself.

Heraldicly speaking - they're so illegal it borders on.... most incredibly illegal  :shock:

" Thou shalt not put color on color, nor metal on metal "

I cant help it, I'm a heraldry geek.

Sorry  :smile:

Back
Top Bottom