Resolved Cursor Flickering in menus and world map.

Users who are viewing this thread

No dude, I don't. At least none that would conflict with the game. I even wiped my C drive where windows and some of my games stay to make sure nothing gets in its way. It is 100% caused by the drivers, now I got screen tearing too in all my games plus the graphics are blurry af while playing on max settings. Before you say enable Vsync or something like this, before these disastrous drivers I played without vsync on 999 fps cap, there were no issues whatsoever.

No dude, I don't. At least none that would conflict with the game. I even wiped my C drive where windows and some of my games stay to make sure nothing gets in its way. It is 100% caused by the drivers, now I got screen tearing too in all my games plus the graphics are blurry af while playing on max settings. Before you say enable Vsync or something like this, before these disastrous drivers I played without vsync on 999 fps cap, there were no issues whatsoever.
But you said old drivers didn't help you, which is weird, because it helped the others...
Also, have you tried to contact NVidia support? I know, corporations don't give a flying duck about us mortals, but still... Because if not, I will probably contact them soon.

Hello, recently I have experienced cursor flickering in the menus and the world map. I will provide screenshots of my settings in the launcher and what I have done to try to resolve the issue. I didn't provide audio settings since I doubt that would have any impact on the matter. There were older threads of this issue but all the things I tried from them didn't work, so that's why I'm making this one, also there was a Reddit post that also didn't help. What Also happens in the world map the game stutters when I try to look around or spin the camera. This isn't present in battles.
Here are the settings:
5ouB3yA.jpg

2ayfRPY.jpg

Previously I used to have my fps locked at 999 and that caused no issues at all, but changing it to 120 seemed to suppress it a little bit, but after a couple of minutes, it appears again.

eoi2N5A.jpg

Things that I have tried:
- Forcing vsync both through the game and through nvidia control panel.
- Locking the fps to 60 with and without vsync.
- Starting windowed then pressing alt+enter to make it fullscreen again.
- Updating DirectX and gpu drivers.
- Changing resolution.
- Reinstalling the game.
- Reinstalling Steam.
- Verifying game files through Steam.
- Disabling Steam overlay.
- Deleting the files in the appdata folder.
- Disabling blood.
- Deleting the .ini file in the Documents folder.
- Increasing the "render_buffer_size" in rgl_config.ini.
- Tried using DirectX 7.
- Forcing Single Threading.
- Tried changing all the settings in-game.
- Running the game as administrator.
- Running the game with Windows xp service pack 2 and 3.

All help will be greatly appreciated. If I need to provide anything else just tell me and I gladly will. Thanks in advance.
I finally RESOLVED this issue. I didn't install anything additionally. I had a weird feeling that NVidia was somehow behind this. To cut it short, all I did was SHUT DOWN all NVidia processes (NVidia share and something else, can't remember the name). This fixed the following for me:
1. No more cursor / pointer / mouse flicker
2. No more fps loss on map when traveling
3. No more fps loss when spinning the map using right click
Can people please verify this?
People have had this problem for years now.
My specs are:
GPU Nvidia GTX 660
CPU Intel Core I5 3350P 3.1GHz
8 Gigs of Ram
I have a bad pc so I can't run Bannerlord, but I've installed the same Warband that I played years ago. Since I haven't updated the PC it could be either some software causing this, or my mouse. I first tried using GeForce Experience, but it doesn't support Warband, then I screwed around with mouse settings and finally tried Nvidia settings. Since nothing worked, I just shut down Nvidia processes (Caveman approach, if it doesn't work as it should, it's not gonna work at all) and this fixed the problem for me.

I have tried this many times now. It has been listed on this thread like 5 or more times already. It hasn't worked for me 1 bit, also I used o have processes like Nvidia share and other stuff like this, but no more. Now I only have NVidia Container which I have disallowed with Process Lasso many times and it has not worked.

This is due to the program doing a SetCursor with NULL making the cursor invisible using GDI, then doing a SetCursor with DirectX to set the cursor visible again. Whilst I do not the exact mechanism as to why it causes FPS issues, I'd guess that it's due to some kind of GDI/DirectX synchronization having to occur.

A workaround is to patch byte at 00216FA5 from 00 to 01 In mb_warband.exe (for steam version at least). This causes the SetCursor to fail thereby preventing the aforementioned hitching. In my system my FPS became steady and never once dipped again.

Side effects may include a cursor being visible when it shouldn't be (though I doubt it).

This may be an NVIDIA bug, it might be a Windows GDI bug, but really, ultimately, this is just a poor programming bug. There is no reason I can think of why the cursor must be hidden by GDI just to be shown again by DirectX. Perhaps editor mode? Maybe?
-----
EDIT: -- I'd like to point out that after further research the above is actually valid and usual way of handling this according to the Microsoft documentation. Why this causes flickering is unknown, and why ignoring the setCursor fixes it is also unknown.

-----

Anyway, I develop programs for my real life, and I've written an automatic patcher to make the single byte change above (for steam version only), I'll link it below (if it works, not sure if the forum will mangle it).

It's an exe file because that is easiest to distribute. Reminder that you should never download .exe files the internet, but here you go:

You can always restore the Warband files using Steam to re-validate them if you think something is wrong.

Last edited:
This is due to the program doing a SetCursor with NULL making the cursor invisible using GDI, then doing a SetCursor with DirectX to set the cursor visible again. Whilst I do not the exact mechanism as to why it causes FPS issues, I'd guess that it's due to some kind of GDI/DirectX synchronization having to occur.

A workaround is to patch byte at 00216FA5 from 00 to 01 In mb_warband.exe (for steam version at least). This causes the SetCursor to fail thereby preventing the aforementioned hitching. In my system my FPS became steady and never once dipped again.

Side effects may include a cursor being visible when it shouldn't be (though I doubt it).

This may be an NVIDIA bug, it might be a Windows GDI bug, but really, ultimately, this is just a poor programming bug. There is no reason I can think of why the cursor must be hidden by GDI just to be shown again by DirectX. Perhaps editor mode? Maybe?
-----
EDIT: -- I'd like to point out that after further research the above is actually valid and usual way of handling this according to the Microsoft documentation. Why this causes flickering is unknown, and why ignoring the setCursor fixes it is also unknown.

-----

Anyway, I develop programs for my real life, and I've written an automatic patcher to make the single byte change above (for steam version only), I'll link it below (if it works, not sure if the forum will mangle it).

It's an exe file because that is easiest to distribute. Reminder that you should never download .exe files the internet, but here you go:

You can always restore the Warband files using Steam to re-validate them if you think something is wrong.
Registered just to say this: God bless you, I hope this solution would work for others as it did for me.

P.s. my antivirus said the file is clean so it's safe to use.

I saw this got resolved and was pissed, assuming TW was lying, I am super happy to see this fan patch.

Can any devs confirm if this one byte change was folded into the update 5 days ago?

Hello guys i find this on youtube:
works for me i have GTX1060 plus force v-ysnc on warband launcher

Last edited:

-----

-----

How do I change an exe file? I need a special proggram or somethign?

I did spikes method, it seems to work. Anyhow, here's a guide for doing this yourself, if you arent a programmer or whatever: Use HxD programm, its the simplest one -> open md warband.exe -> Go to -> type this 00216FA5 -> change 00 to 01 -> close and save -> go **** up some swads.

I find it baffling that taleworld didnt fix that for half a year, ****ing hell, this is crazy.

I did spikes method, it seems to work. Anyhow, here's a guide for doing this yourself, if you arent a programmer or whatever: Use HxD programm, its the simplest one -> open md warband.exe -> Go to -> type this 00216FA5 -> change 00 to 01 -> close and save -> go **** up some swads.

I find it baffling that taleworld didnt fix that for half a year, ****ing hell, this is crazy.
I hadn't done the patch, and after someone asked for support on reddit I sent them to this post, so I tested this method.

Day and Night performance wise.

Not even just when the cursor is visible. All the time. The game is so much smoother with this one bit change.

I noticed this problem affects all the other editions and spin offs as well, how can I locate this bit for the other .exes?

-----

-----

Thank you dude, god bless you and your family!! After hours of searching a solution I found your solution, THANK YOU A LOT!!!!

I noticed this problem affects all the other editions and spin offs as well, how can I locate this bit for the other .exes?
I've updated the patcher program to try to automatically detect the correct byte location no matter what version of Warband you have, Steam, non-steam, old versions or hopefully any future ones.

As an unintended side-effect, this automatic detection method can now also patch With Fire & Sword if you were having issues in that one.

I've updated the patcher program to try to automatically detect the correct byte location no matter what version of Warband you have, Steam, non-steam, old versions or hopefully any future ones.

As an unintended side-effect, this automatic detection method can now also patch With Fire & Sword if you were having issues in that one.
You're right! Not only did it patch WFaS, it also patches Blood and Gold: Caribbean! Neat. Thank you for further developing the app.

I wish Taleworlds would make it an official change since the issue is present in all the games based on their old engine like M&B Classic and Han Xiongnu Wars.

Bunun nedeni, programın imleci GDI kullanarak görünmez hale getiren NULL'lı bir SetCursor yapması ve ardından imleci yeniden görünür hale getirmek için DirectX ile bir SetCursor yapmasıdır. FPS sorunlarına neden olduğu konusunda tam bir mekanizma olmasam da, bunun bir tür GDI / DirectX senkronizasyonunun gerçekleşmesinden kaynaklandığını tahmin ediyorum.

Geçici bir çözüm, 00216FA5'te baytı 00'dan 01 In mb_warband.exe'e (en azından steam sürümü için) yamalamaktır. Bu, SetCursor'un başarısız olmasına ve böylece yukarıda belirtilen otostopun önlenmesine neden olur. Sistemimde FPS'im sabit kaldı ve bir daha asla batırılmadı.

Yan efektler, olmaması gerektiğinde (şüphe etmeme rağmen) bir imlecin görünür olmasını içerebilir.

Bu bir NVIDIA hatası olabilir, bir Windows GDI hatası olabilir, ancak gerçekten, sonuçta, bu sadece zayıf bir programlama hatasıdır. DirectX tarafından tekrar gösterilmek için imlecin neden GDI tarafından gizlenmesi gerektiğini düşünmem için hiçbir neden yok. Belki editör modu? Belki?
-----
EDIT: -- Daha fazla araştırmadan sonra yukarıdakilerin aslında geçerli ve Microsoft belgelerine göre bunu ele almanın olağan bir yolu olduğunu belirtmek isterim. Bunun neden titremeye neden olduğu ve setCursor düzeltmelerini neden yoksaytıp yoksayma da bilinmemektedir.

-----

Her neyse, gerçek hayatım için programlar geliştiriyorum ve yukarıdaki tek bayt değişikliğini yapmak için otomatik bir yamalayıcı yazdım (yalnızca steam sürümü için), aşağıda bağlayacağım (işe yararsa, forumun onu mangle edip etmeyeceğinden emin değilim).

Bu bir exe dosyasıdır, çünkü bu dağıtmak en kolayıdır. İnternet .exe dosyaları asla indirmemeniz gerektiğinin hatırlatıcısı, ancak işte başlıyorsunuz:

Warband dosyalarını her zaman Steam'i kullanarak geri yükleyebilir ve bir sorun olduğunu düşünüyorsanız bunları yeniden doğrulayabilirsiniz.
nasıl bu şekilde yapılır anlamadım nasıl yama yaparım warband exe ye

kuş çözüm, 00216FA5'te baytı 00'dan 01 mb_warband.exe'e (en azn buhar sürümü için) yamatırlamak. NE

Back
Top Bottom