Resolved Cursor Flickering in menus and world map.

Users who are viewing this thread

Generally I run at 2x my refresh rate because, for some reason, load speed is tied to framerate (go figure). I was just running it as fast as possible to show the extent of the issue. It was doing that on 120 - 150 fps.

I hadn't noticed the whole "total freeze while cursor is on screen" bit until just before that video, which is why I recorded it and put the engine fps limiter to something crazy.

At this stage, Scene editing is like torture and anything outside of a battle is wildly unfun FPS are about 1/4 what they normally are if you are moving the mouse.

At this point the no-cursor fix might be the best option, and I am sure there is a program that can overlay a cursor over the game to make it simpler to use.

Generally I run at 2x my refresh rate because, for some reason, load speed is tied to framerate (go figure). I was just running it as fast as possible to show the extent of the issue. It was doing that on 120 - 150 fps.

I hadn't noticed the whole "total freeze while cursor is on screen" bit until just before that video, which is why I recorded it and put the engine fps limiter to something crazy.

At this stage, Scene editing is like torture and anything outside of a battle is wildly unfun FPS are about 1/4 what they normally are if you are moving the mouse.

At this point the no-cursor fix might be the best option, and I am sure there is a program that can overlay a cursor over the game to make it simpler to use.
Can you try lowering your mouse polling rate? It at least made it bearable for me.

I looked into that but I use a usb mouse with generic Microsoft drivers so my polling rate is probably only 250, and I would need to download extra software to change it.

So I went through, found my mouse's software online, and I was actually polling at 500hz. I lowered it down to 250hz, and it sort of helped. Thanks for the tip.

I've requested the devs hear me out and add a hardware cursor mode to help fix the issue since based on my tests of removing the cursor texture, I'm fairly confident it's some new updates to Windows or DirectX that is conflicting with the Software cursor.

Last edited:
I saw a steam launch command it was NormalMouse without "-", I tried doing that in AoE II DE but to no avail i will try that on warband rn and inform yall. Btw it is meant to show your OS mouse pointer as a cursor.

Edit: Nope, it doesn't work for me.

Last edited:
Hello, everyone new drivers are available for the people with Nvidia gpu's! It's version 461.72, also don't forget to try Studio drivers too! I hope it fixes the issue for at least some people.

Edit: Again, neither did Game ready drivers help (they even made it 2 times worse) nor did studio drivers help.

Last edited:
ive done everything suggested here and on steam discussions from last month

i own 2080 super i9-9000k and the game installed on ssd , so on paper its supposed to run like butter

the only thing to try is running the game on my cpu graphics (igpu) gonna edit this later after testing

edit : so i tested it , the mouse flickring reduced after 2 hours it started to flicker just a for short moment and only in party menus

as far as world map lagging , ive had none and it ran smoothly but preformence in battle is poop since am playing the last days of the third age so i would say pick your poison until taleworld and nvidia fix this -_-

Last edited:
I had world and menu lag in the beginning. After a week without playing it simply vanished and only the cursor flickering stayed. Btw your specs don't matter so putting them here won't help as you can see I haven't listed mine. But yea it's been 2 months and Nvidia released 2 driver versions and they still haven't fixed it. Also, a guy spoke with Marda on discord, but Marda either doesn't seem to care or is too occupied with other stuff. I don't know what the situation is, but I hope Nvidia will release drivers with a fix next time...but i already see myself typing "Edit: It didn't work for me,but it may work for some" for the third time straight...

This is bizarre, I downloaded a program called YoloMouse to try fixing the game by deleting the software cursor texture and overwriting it with the program's overlay, and even though it's not even currently running, my FPS don't drop when scrubbing my mouse anymore. I don't know if a Windows Update fixed it or if installing YoloMouse did it, but, hey, I am not mad.

If you could explain how to do that I would be thankful. Btw it fixing by itself has to have been a Windows Update, in my opinion.

Edit: I figured out how to use it, but the YoloMouse cursor flickers too.

Last edited:
After running YoloMouse once, I still had flickering, so I quit to do the invisible cursor trick to see if YoloMouse would put a new cursor even if the ingame one was invisible, it won't, so I readded the cursor texture and loaded the game again without the YoloMouse program running (since that was my intended usecase) and the flickering and fps drops went away nearly entirely for me.

Full Timeline
  1. Installed YoloMouse
  2. Ran Warband with it once
  3. Renamed some other texture to cursor.dds to get invisible software cursor
  4. Restarted with YoloMouse
  5. Completely exited YoloMouse
  6. I forgot to save the original cursor texture so I had to Validate my files via Steam
  7. Flickering gone.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't know how to help you anymore if none of this stuff has worked. I'm waiting for a windows update cuz GPU drivers don't make a difference. If I get too impatient I will try to roll to an October 2020 version of Windows 10. I can't bear this bull**** anymore.

Leaving my message here. Yesterday I started playing again after a long time and run into this issue... This sucks man. Hope they'll solve this.
By the way, does the tag In Progress mean they are looking into this?

Edit: There is a similar issue with WoW in which moving the cursor lowered drastically fps, that problem were solver disabling hardware cursor in a menu option. Do you have any idea on how to disable it in M&B? Didn't find anything about it.

Last edited:
Edit: There is a similar issue with WoW in which moving the cursor lowered drastically fps, that problem were solver disabling hardware cursor in a menu option. Do you have any idea on how to disable it in M&B? Didn't find anything about it.
After looking further into the issue, I found instances of software cursors tanking performance across many different games, and in nearly every case, the devs had to add a "use hardware cursor" option. It's too bad that Warband is probably past receiving any more updates, so I doubt this will be fixed.

I, however, am rid of the issue. I put all my steps in the message above. (Updated the post to be more descriptive as to ALL my steps)

Honestly, I don't know how to help you anymore if none of this stuff has worked. I'm waiting for a windows update cuz GPU drivers don't make a difference. If I get too impatient I will try to roll to an October 2020 version of Windows 10. I can't bear this bull**** anymore.
Bull**** is right. Ive been playing this game hassle free for years. NWs DLC, Nova Aetas mod, Diplomacy mod, Native, SW Conquest mod, never had an issue an any way ever. Was playing today and randomly midgame I noticed that anytime my mouse is on the screen and moving, such as the menu, world map, inventory screen, or something like that, the game would lag DRASTICALLY anytime the mouse was moving. I have spent the better part of today on google to no avail on solving this issue. Good to see some people here trying though. For context, I have tried changing DPI, reinstalling, verifying cache, Pooling was already at 500, and none of my in game settings ever changed. Always been at 1920x1080 32 bits, max settings Vsync off and still is that way, nothing has changed but it just "happens" now. Seems to be a driver issue or windows update issue you have said? Ill revisit this page periodically incase someone finds a fix but for now the game is damn near unplayable. And as I type this, my buddy is playing NWs no issue. Unreal.

Update. It is fixed for now. I installed "yolomouse" (dumbass name) and, actually Ill just put detailed steps of what I did.

1. Installed Yolomouse
2. Launched it
3. Launched the game
(It didnt work)
4. Restarted PC (yolomouse was not set to launch with the pc)

And it works
So I dont know if installing yolo mouse and restarting fixes it, or if restarting fixes it but im sure someone has tried that. If it acts up again rest assured Ill be back here but hopefully the plethora of possible fixes on this page is enough to help the others out there. Best of luck!

(Updated the post to be more descriptive as to ALL my steps)
Thank you for this I will now try it and inform yall.
Edit 1: I also tried these exact steps which didn't work now I will try them again and if they don't work I will try NinjaMan's steps. Glad you got it resolved. So no your steps didn't work (Guy), in my opinion, it was fixed by restarting your pc. Some people reported that it has been fixed by that too.
Edit 2: NinjaMan's solution also didn't work.

Last edited:
Ive been playing this game hassle free for years.
Same my dude. From literally when I got it until about November I had literally 1 or 2 issues which I got fixed pretty easily. Now I have coil whining and this issue. As you also mentioned every mod I played also had no issues. Some people say to set your mouse polling rate to 125, but it doesn't completely remove the issue it only suppresses it. And yes it is either a driver issue, cuz some people got it fixed by driver updates, or a Windows Update issue which fixed it for other people.Same stuff also my friends are playing everything perfectly. Only 1 of my friends has this.

Back
Top Bottom