Current Issues being working on

Users who are viewing this thread

• Crush Through Mechanics and Damage
    • Overall Damage is too high
    • In some instances deals WAY too mach damage.
  • Cavalry Rear up problems
    • Cavalry can be reared from other angles than the front
    • Cavalry can be reared with very low damage
  • Captain Mode Balance
  • Couch Lance Mechanics and Damage
    • Couch lance deals too low damage when speed difference is low
    • In some instances the tip misses and deals Blunt damage with the handle.
  • Archery and Throwable Mechanics
    • Adjusting the current accuracy curves
    • Trying out some new mechanics
  • Mounted Archery and Throwables (fixed)
    • Mounted troops were not affected by the accuracy change properly

There is other stuff as well obviously, but wanted to put this up to address most of the threads that are popping up.
All throwables beside pilas are basically useless. All archers are useless with this 1.5 patch. Also half the cav are also useless. The biggest disappointment are the archers. I have over a 1000 hours in the game and over 1300 wins in Captains mode only, and the only thing that you can use competitively is 1 shield and 5 shock or 6 shock thats it. If anyone takes 1 or 2 units of archers they will lose in a competitive match. Please fix this situation.

All throwables beside pilas are basically useless. All archers are useless with this 1.5 patch. Also half the cav are also useless. The biggest disappointment are the archers. I have over a 1000 hours in the game and over 1300 wins in Captains mode only, and the only thing that you can use competitively is 1 shield and 5 shock or 6 shock thats it. If anyone takes 1 or 2 units of archers they will lose in a competitive match. Please fix this situation.

I think hes already said that the ranged weapons being bad in captain is because of the AI not understanding that it needs a little longer to fire because of the new ranged weapon mechanics.

Patience young grasshoppers. Captain is in a rough spot but I think they are fully aware of how to fix it.

I think hes already said that the ranged weapons being bad in captain is because of the AI not understanding that it needs a little longer to fire because of the new ranged weapon mechanics.

Patience young grasshoppers. Captain is in a rough spot but I think they are fully aware of how to fix it.
I still think that even if the Ai were to properly aim their bows, the fire-rate was so dramatically decreased in 1.5 that Archers will remain useless until they can shoot at the same rate of fire as they could in 1.4.3 and in previous patches.

This notion that we captain mode players want the combat changes meant for skirmish players to make it into our captain mode balance is ridiculous. We didn't ask for archers aim to be adjusted in the first place, we didn't ask for Cavalry to get nerfed, we didn't ask for Skirmisher units to get nerfed, we didn't ask for Shock troops to get buffed, and yet all these changes were made despite knowing the full on negative impact that it could potentially have for captain mode.

Here are just some of issues that still need attention: I'm not implying that you aren't working on them, i'm just simply reminding you that they exist.
1. The slow bug that happens when you die and respawn as an Ai unit that slows your movement speed down by 70-90%.
2. Battania has been the worst faction for months and has seen little to no improvement.
3. We had 4 maps to play on, now we have 3. No new maps have been added for several months.
4. Shock troops have always been way too strong and need a significant nerf, instead they got buffed and now make up 95-100% of a teams composition.
5. Not enough classes are viable to play. Skirmisher units and light cavalry still are and have always been useless.
6. Few QOL changes have been made to the current 3 maps we do have, despite detailed feedback about specific out-of-bounds areas that need to be blocked off.
7. Heavy Archer units for some reason can no longer use their pole-arms in a melee fight thus making Glaive and Menavlion a useless perk choice for Palantine Guards and Khans Guards.

I'm really happy that "Captain Mode Balance" is on the list AVRC. I seriously appreciate all that you are doing to help make the mode better, and I hope you continue to have this passion and dedication. Maybe its selfish of me to think it should be the #1 spot on that list, but we really do need some significant attention and fixes for the mode as we are really struggling right now, and the general opinion about the state of the game-mode is not looking good.
Today was the first day I played a game of captain mode and did not enjoy myself, I genuinely played 1 game, we 2-handed shock spam, and it was a dice roll. Not fun at all in any way. I always imagined myself as the last person saying that, but it's the truth. The gamemode in 1.5 is not fun to play.

Last edited:
I still think that even if the Ai were to properly aim their bows, the fire-rate was so dramatically decreased in 1.5 that Archers will remain useless until they can shoot at the same rate of fire as they could in 1.4.3 and in previous patches. This notion that we captain mode players want the combat changes meant for skirmish players to make it into our captain mode balance is ridiculous. We didn't ask for archers aim to be adjusted, we didn't ask for all the buffs or nerfs to the classes and yet we have to suffer through them so that skirmish players can be happy.

One thing that I dont think you are considering is that projectile speed has been monumentally increased. This means that AI Archers will have their effective range basically doubled once they can properly aim. They may not shred from 15m like they used to because of a slower rate of fire but they will be getting off just as many volleys if you position your archers well because they should have a lot more range.

One thing that I dont think you are considering is that projectile speed has been monumentally increased. This means that AI Archers will have their effective range basically doubled once they can properly aim. They may not shred from 15m like they used to because of a slower rate of fire but they will be getting off just as many volleys if you position your archers well because they should have a lot more range.
It's too bad that none of the captain mode maps are nearly big enough to see this change have any actual real effect on gameplay.
But that's okay because it was never intended to improve captain mode, it was a change that was specifically and ONLY made with skirmish in mind.
This is the problem that I have with the balance philosophy of taleworlds, it does not make sense from a design or practical standpoint to try and attempt to balance both modes with the same patch.

Last edited:
It's too bad that none of the captain mode maps are nearly big enough to see this change have any actual real effect on gameplay.
But that's okay because it was never intended to improve captain mode, it was a change that was specifically and ONLY made with skirmish in mind.
This is the problem that I have with the balance philosophy of taleworlds, it does not make sense from a design or practical standpoint to try and attempt to balance both modes with the same patch.
Ive been saying for a long time that having 2 separate balances would be best.

With that said I think you will be pleasantly surprised about archers once their AI gets fixed.

My game and others are crashing every time after a clan war ends. Can you look into that, please? Also, some random managed to join our clan war, even though the opposing clan's sixth member was loading the map.

Will the balances be separated by game mode when the captain mode balance patch gets released? I wouldn't want changes made to captain mode to negatively impact skirmish and for skirmish changes to negatively impact captain like it has in the past. Thank you for your responses and your hard work.

Dear devs make this happen please.

I still think that even if the Ai were to properly aim their bows, the fire-rate was so dramatically decreased in 1.5 that Archers will remain useless until they can shoot at the same rate of fire as they could in 1.4.3 and in previous patches.

This notion that we captain mode players want the combat changes meant for skirmish players to make it into our captain mode balance is ridiculous. We didn't ask for archers aim to be adjusted in the first place, we didn't ask for Cavalry to get nerfed, we didn't ask for Skirmisher units to get nerfed, we didn't ask for Shock troops to get buffed, and yet all these changes were made despite knowing the full on negative impact that it could potentially have for captain mode.

Here are just some of issues that still need attention: I'm not implying that you aren't working on them, i'm just simply reminding you that they exist.
1. The slow bug that happens when you die and respawn as an Ai unit that slows your movement speed down by 70-90%.
2. Battania has been the worst faction for months and has seen little to no improvement.
3. We had 4 maps to play on, now we have 3. No new maps have been added for several months.
4. Shock troops have always been way too strong and need a significant nerf, instead they got buffed and now make up 95-100% of a teams composition.
5. Not enough classes are viable to play. Skirmisher units and light cavalry still are and have always been useless.
6. Few QOL changes have been made to the current 3 maps we do have, despite detailed feedback about specific out-of-bounds areas that need to be blocked off.
7. Heavy Archer units for some reason can no longer use their pole-arms in a melee fight thus making Glaive and Menavlion a useless perk choice for Palantine Guards and Khans Guards.

I'm really happy that "Captain Mode Balance" is on the list AVRC. I seriously appreciate all that you are doing to help make the mode better, and I hope you continue to have this passion and dedication. Maybe its selfish of me to think it should be the #1 spot on that list, but we really do need some significant attention and fixes for the mode as we are really struggling right now, and the general opinion about the state of the game-mode is not looking good.
Today was the first day I played a game of captain mode and did not enjoy myself, I genuinely played 1 game, we 2-handed shock spam, and it was a dice roll. Not fun at all in any way. I always imagined myself as the last person saying that, but it's the truth. The gamemode in 1.5 is not fun to play.
As you have mentioned making changes in the game affects all game modes AND Single Player because they all use the same core of the game where all simulations and combat happens. We can not split the game mechanics for different game modes but we will always make adjustments where it is necessary.

Right now we are making adjustments to make the core of the combat more fun and enjoyable. We will keep making changes and adjustments until both the dev team AND the players are happy with the result.

We knew the changes would shake the balance all around and we will make it balanced again but we have to start somewhere. We chose to start with the Skirmish Mode because it is much more simple, where most of the small scale combat happens and issues are easier to observe. Captain Mode is much much more complicated because there is AI involved. We want to make sure that the foundation mechanics work how they are supposed to as we move onto the Captain Mode. It is not because we care less about Captain Mode, it is the most unique game mode we have.

While we are working on the core mechanics, our AI team is already working on improvements. Most of the issues related to archers (surprisingly more than expected) and AI using throwing weapons are being fixed alongside improvements for AI to use their other weapons in appropriate situations. We are planning to merge all of these changes and in the mean time collect data and feedback on state of Captain Mode balance to make adjustments.

We will still make some adjustments for Captain Mode very soon before the mentioned changes are completed to make sure the game experience is better for the time being.

To answer some of your points
This is surprisingly hard to recreate, it is being investigated but if there is a video of it consistently being reproduced it would be greatly appreciated.
Will be addressed.
New maps are almost complete alongside improvements on current ones.
This was due to the combat changes, will be better once Archery and Throwing get to where they are supposed to be. In the meantime we will make some adjustments to handle the bad experience.
Skirmishers will get better as we make adjustments to the Throwing mechanics.
I will make sure the level designers are aware.
This will be fixed with the AI improvements.

My game and others are crashing every time after a clan war ends. Can you look into that, please? Also, some random managed to join our clan war, even though the opposing clan's sixth member was loading the map.
We are aware of the issue, it is being taken care of.

As you have mentioned making changes in the game affects all game modes AND Single Player because they all use the same core of the game where all simulations and combat happens. We can not split the game mechanics for different game modes but we will always make adjustments where it is necessary.

Right now we are making adjustments to make the core of the combat more fun and enjoyable. We will keep making changes and adjustments until both the dev team AND the players are happy with the result.

We knew the changes would shake the balance all around and we will make it balanced again but we have to start somewhere. We chose to start with the Skirmish Mode because it is much more simple, where most of the small scale combat happens and issues are easier to observe. Captain Mode is much much more complicated because there is AI involved. We want to make sure that the foundation mechanics work how they are supposed to as we move onto the Captain Mode. It is not because we care less about Captain Mode, it is the most unique game mode we have.

While we are working on the core mechanics, our AI team is already working on improvements. Most of the issues related to archers (surprisingly more than expected) and AI using throwing weapons are being fixed alongside improvements for AI to use their other weapons in appropriate situations. We are planning to merge all of these changes and in the mean time collect data and feedback on state of Captain Mode balance to make adjustments.

We will still make some adjustments for Captain Mode very soon before the mentioned changes are completed to make sure the game experience is better for the time being.

To answer some of your points
This is surprisingly hard to recreate, it is being investigated but if there is a video of it consistently being reproduced it would be greatly appreciated.
Will be addressed.
New maps are almost complete alongside improvements on current ones.
This was due to the combat changes, will be better once Archery and Throwing get to where they are supposed to be. In the meantime we will make some adjustments to handle the bad experience.
Skirmishers will get better as we make adjustments to the Throwing mechanics.
I will make sure the level designers are aware.
This will be fixed with the AI improvements.
@AVRC
Thank you for this thoughtful and thorough response to my concerns and comments. These are all things that I think all captain mode players will be happy to hear and will take comfort in the idea that they are being worked on and implemented as mentioned.
There are some very interesting and exciting additions that you mentioned that I personally am incredibly thrilled about.

I am also relieved and thankful that you and the developer team view captain mode with the same interest that we captain mode players also share. The complexity, the teamwork and cohesion, the strategic unit placement, the use of formations, and planning the perfect team composition to face the enemy teams all make this game mode something special, and to hear you acknowledge how unique captain mode is makes me truly happy.

It's unfortunate that the core-mechanics of the game such as combat parameters cannot be separated for the different game modes and from sp/mp, but it is completely understandable that it's a limitation within the game itself.

As for replicating the "slow bug" I will do my best to record an instance of this occurring and I will try to make a compilation of instances where it has happened and put together a little video to help your team try and tackle this issue. (Often it's very inconsistent during our matches as well, however it appears to happen at least once per match to at least one or two people in the match.)

@AVRC I don't know if you guys know about this yet, but units that have a menavlions and sword use the menavlions only as counter-cavalry, and the sword in melee. Basically this means that taking sword on menavlions renders them almost useless, and Palatine Guards are now much less effective. I tried the same on other 2h units, but it had no effect on them.

Also, is there gonna be some kind of rework to cavalry AI at some point? They seem to also predominantly use swords and axes against infantry, and rarely use the spears and lances. They are also VERY bad at targeting other units from horseback, and aren't capable of hitting much anything. Right now they are basically useful at trampling and confusing the AI, which is totally fine as well, but it would be nice to know if there's plans for changing that at all.

@AVRC I don't know if you guys know about this yet, but units that have a menavlions and sword use the menavlions only as counter-cavalry, and the sword in melee. Basically this means that taking sword on menavlions renders them almost useless, and Palatine Guards are now much less effective. I tried the same on other 2h units, but it had no effect on them.

Also, is there gonna be some kind of rework to cavalry AI at some point? They seem to also predominantly use swords and axes against infantry, and rarely use the spears and lances. They are also VERY bad at targeting other units from horseback, and aren't capable of hitting much anything. Right now they are basically useful at trampling and confusing the AI, which is totally fine as well, but it would be nice to know if there's plans for changing that at all.
Yes, we are aware.
We know the issues about Cav AI, improvements on it will be next.

I think there is some confusion when we say “separate the balance”

We don’t want sweeping changes to the engine or core mechanics. Something as simple as different perks in the different gamemodes would suffice. For example giving lance perks to light cav in captain but not skirmish mode to make them more effective in captain without making them OP in skirmish.
Even something like having the ability to assign different run speed stats to the same class in separate gamemodes would make the whole thing easier to balance.

A basic spectator mode is being built at the moment, and designs for a very robust one is approved.

Ranked Mode is being built. We already enabled Skill Based Match Making, ranked matches with leaver punishment and player ranks are being worked on. Clan matches will also get a proper ranking system so you don't have to calculate ratings yourselves. The proper competitive format is something we are discussing internally as well, banning factions and playing both sides on a set map sounds like a decent start but it is further down the road. For now, you can do all that stuff outside of the game and then set up a clan match with your preferred settings so it is not a blocker at the moment.

Reconnecting will be implemented with Ranked Mode.
God bless. Any ETAs?

Can it be clarified what TW's vision on crush through's purpose is? What is the ideal use of it in a fight? I just struggle to understand how adding that in was seen as a benefit to the game's combat. I want two handers to be strong, but not because I rolled lucky. Warband's method of needing to hold and being restricted to certain weapons kept it an interesting mechanic while not being unfun.

For clarification, I think 1.5 was a huge benefit to the game and the patch that brought me back to playing MP regularly. There's just a few interesting design choices.

Last edited:

We’ve attempted to replicate or find a fix for the slow bug many times, without much success.

What we do know is that it almost always (but not exclusively) occurs after respawning as a new bot and will happen more often with shield classes.

One bug state has the player move very slowly, but then Caps Lock for the alternative slow walk will cause the player to move at a close to normal speed.

Very strange and hopefully it can be figured out.

Back
Top Bottom