Culture bonuses balance - Discuss

Users who are viewing this thread

It's a mess.
Vlanidian with 20% XP boost is a no-brainer.
The Empires 20% speed for buiding is good.
Everything else is...kinda crappy and situational.

So how would you change and what?

I guess the forest movement bonus could be improved with better foraging in forests?

aside from snow doesnt seem to give me any speed penalty at all at the moment i value the speed buffs actually higher than the empires and vlandian perks since you get a signifcant speed advantage through them if you either are in the woods or have a lot of cavalry, which makes you catch whatever enemy you want or get away whenever you want.

Both of those are very situational.
And only a small portion of the map is snow. Wait, can't play ATM since the game wont' start at all anymore, but are seasons in? I can't recall.

Regarding snow: All guides and people who have been talking about that are missing one big thing: WINTER.

During Winter almost 40-50% map is covered in snow.

But overall: Yep, some are better than others. But tbh I have found that the impact ist overall rather low for any of the bonuses.

I gain XP via simualtions.
I gain money without aserai speed buffs.

Empire is the only one which I do consider really good, simply it speeds sieges up, which can be a game changer.

They could add more stuff. For example a Vlandian commander having mixed troops of battania, vlandian and sturgia cavalries (like the coalition of the intro quest) should perform a little better than a Battanian commander with the same skills because tradition.
Also they could add individual troops bonus (available if you get them even when you are from different cultures) and bonus for culture leader only that apply to different troop cultures too.
3 bonus would be fine: a leader culture bonus, an individual troop bonus and an bonus that applies only when the leader is commanding the same troop culture.
A silly example: empire leaders have bonus for fast building siege, empire troops have a morale boots every time they kill a horse archer, empire leaders give a resistance bonus to shield that applies only to empire troops.

Do any of them actually work? I read the caravan one doesn't work. I'm playing Khergits but using a all cav army is fast anyways so I don't know if the 10% works or not.
Aside from working or not my thoughts are, from a warband perspective:
*1* The Empire bonus could be amazing..... if hit and run seige'n worked like in warband..... but I don't think it does, seems just siege engine speed might not help you siege without them catching up to you, so far it takes a long time and it's hard level up engineering, but it'll take a more developed game for me to see how good it is. This was my number 1 choice but I soon realized I won't be painting the map anytime soon.
2 The Khergits 10% speed is useful for the whole game and there's not a very strong pathfinding skill/perks. I'm curious if it works with extra horses in inventory = or greater to foot units, since a tool tip says foot spoilers will ride extra horses on campaign map..... but again I can't tell if all the things in tool tips or the perk actually work right now.
3 Vlandian is good since we don't have good trainer effects (the leadership perks are very weak), though once you've got your army leveled it's not useful unless you run out of bad dudes.
4 sturgian/britanian these terrains pop up more the I would have though, lots of snowy places and chasing empire guys through forest in middle of map.
I'd rather just take the mounted bonus but these seem better then I assumed at first glance.
5 Caravan-man ...... it's basically saving 4k (when it's fixed and works) for each caravan you make and I assume 10% more profit.... it's just not that hard to make 4k more to make caravan and once you are stabilized extra money becomes trivial since you can get so much through beating lords, I'd rather have a skill that benefits the long game.
So for now it's the Khans way for me, but maybe when the dust has settled the empire bonus could win out.

It's also important to know that the culture background also changes the attribute and focus points of some of the parental/first options.

Khuzait bonus says cavalry but every infantryman can get a mount in map mode so I wonder if it apply to them too or only to pure cavalry.

Back
Top Bottom