SP Musket Era Csatádi's Visual and Historical Mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Its an amazing mod and I keep coming back to it.

I'd also like to stress that I have not begun other storylines whilst attempting to do the polish one. Do you think you could fix it?

One thing this mod would definitely benefit from the most are more cohesive formations. Now I don't know whether WFAS has them, I remember them whilst playing native WFAS. Both your and the enemy troops would behave very cohesively. Pikes would be in front, clean lines of musketeers in the back.

As it stands right now its all sort of a mush. Whilst playing Heritage of Hussaria (doubt he modified the formations) I have noticed the AI behavior of it firing volleys! And I have witnessed this only once since 2012 or so when I last played native WFAS.

I've found one mod seemingly compatible with WFAS, but its a big of a challenge to install for me;

I also think you could take a look at the English Civil War mod for formations. In it, the AI behaves naturally as pike and shotte AI should. Pikes blob in squares or lines and move forward, while the musketeers shoot out of a straight line from the back. Its a little bit difficult to explain, but definitely more natural and organic than what WFAS currently has.

Given my last playthrough, it is safe to say that Sweden is overly armored and overpowered. Their pikemen mow down all other pikemen. They definitely need a nerf. It would be nice if Sweden had, alongside armored pikemen and lifeguard pikemen, which should be fewer in number, the bulk of their infantry forces wearing hongrelines and of course, having a helmet, but should otherwise be unarmored. Sweden was the spearhead of discarding armor and reforming their pike and shot composition ratios. I have no doubt that armored pike regiments existed, but the majority of pikemen would not have armor by this period, only helmets.

I think this would be both historical and give Sweden the much needed nerf. Their reiters are already tanks and feel like knights on horseback. I've tested it thoroughly and they even mow down armored pikemen.

Also, why are Swedish heavy cuirassiers only wearing lobster pots and having carbines, and not pistols and closed burgonets or burgonets at all for that matter, like is shown in your mod's banner? I think making them look like that would not only make them look better, but more archetypal. I think you should give them blackened open burgonets and closed burgonets as is shown on your picture. Reiter units already have zischagge/lobster pot helmets so I think this would definitely enhance the variety, rarity and uniqueness of said units. The way they are now, they look no different than Swedish cavalry officers.

Given my last playthrough, it is safe to say that Sweden is overly armored and overpowered. Their pikemen mow down all other pikemen. They definitely need a nerf. It would be nice if Sweden had, alongside armored pikemen and lifeguard pikemen, which should be fewer in number, the bulk of their infantry forces wearing hongrelines and of course, having a helmet, but should otherwise be unarmored. Sweden was the spearhead of discarding armor and reforming their pike and shot composition ratios. I have no doubt that armored pike regiments existed, but the majority of pikemen would not have armor by this period, only helmets.

I think this would be both historical and give Sweden the much needed nerf. Their reiters are already tanks and feel like knights on horseback. I've tested it thoroughly and they even mow down armored pikemen.

Also, why are Swedish heavy cuirassiers only wearing lobster pots and having carbines, and not pistols and closed burgonets or burgonets at all for that matter, like is shown in your mod's banner? I think making them look like that would not only make them look better, but more archetypal. I think you should give them blackened open burgonets and closed burgonets as is shown on your picture. Reiter units already have zischagge/lobster pot helmets so I think this would definitely enhance the variety, rarity and uniqueness of said units. The way they are now, they look no different than Swedish cavalry officers.
Hi Da,

even though I believe Csàtadi has done thorough research I think that Sweden should not field heavy cuirassiers at all. If at all present in Swedish OoB they would be of no importance at all because of minimal numbers. Less armour for Swedish troops is a good idea.

Nerfing Sweden? Well, without cuirassiers they would be nerfed enough IMO.

What I find important is that the Commonwealth is too weak. Notwithstanding their awful strategical situation they are even weaker then they historically were then. The winged hussars are the only cav historically proven to break pike formations by mounted charges. I`d like to have some modifier to represent this capacity.

Rgds, Oldtimer

The cuirassiers are more of an honorary unit, present in very small numbers, usually by the party of the king, if i recall correctly. There is like 10 of them, and they should stay. They are not a problem. I just think they should look like they do in his banner. The overpowered pikemen and cuirassiers (with pistols, lobster pots and cuirasses) are the problem. And both should be in the game. The armored pikemen should be fewer in number.

Removing heavy cuirassiers would not do anything as you barely see them in game. The regular "black reiters" and "cuirassiers" should stay. I do think even they might need a nerf though.

I'd also like a small suggestion, to add a militia cap to the Finnish musketeers, or just a different uniform, so that they are distinguishable on the battlefield as a unique unit. I think I saw an osprey about Finnish musketeers wearing the same cap as a militia cap that is already present in the game, though that probably is an earlier Osprey than what this era is set in. Still, I think something distinguishing would be good.

Last edited:
The cuirassiers are more of an honorary unit, present in very small numbers, usually by the party of the king, if i recall correctly. There is like 10 of them, and they should stay. They are not a problem. I just think they should look like they do in his banner. The overpowered pikemen and cuirassiers (with pistols, lobster pots and cuirasses) are the problem. And both should be in the game. The armored pikemen should be fewer in number.

Removing heavy cuirassiers would not do anything as you barely see them in game. The regular "black reiters" and "cuirassiers" should stay. I do think even they might need a nerf though.

I'd also like a small suggestion, to add a militia cap to the Finnish musketeers, or just a different uniform, so that they are distinguishable on the battlefield as a unique unit. I think I saw an osprey about Finnish musketeers wearing the same cap as a militia cap that is already present in the game, though that probably is an earlier Osprey than what this era is set in. Still, I think something distinguishing would be good.
Hi Da,

I somewhat agree with you andthus modify my suggestion to "remove all cuirassiers for Sweden". That`s nerfing.

Re Finnish musketeers previously they wore cabassets and cuirass(breastplate?) and looked awesome. Since we agree on decreasing armour for Sweden I would suggest giving them cabassets back. They need to have own personality.

Rgds, Oldtimer

Hi guys,
I appreciate your suggestions. The thing is I rarely can gather much interests to make new things. And what I do is only based my preferences. In addition I can no longer run the game with dx9, only with dx7, thus the quality for me is terrible. Maybe my graphic card got hardware issues or the drivers don't support some old features, I don't know. So it's not very encouraging to make new things without the ability to enjoy my own creations. Despite of this there will be new things.

Heavy cuirassiers will be replaced with a cool looking cavarly troop in new uniform, maybe drabants I'm not sure of their proper name yet.
Their Hungarian pots are perfect for the heavy cuirassiers in the second half of the 30YW period, but without proper sources we could only guess to include or to skip them in 1655.
We have no sources about the armor of Swedish pikemen. Soldiers threw away them at the end of the 30YW, but they might get new ones to our period. Or not.
Yes, Swedish cavalry discarded much of their armor, yet when contemporary people compared them to the Polish, they wrote these:
kev-s-lengyel-p-nc-l.jpg

Source: Polish Winged Hussar 1576–1775, Osprey, page 16

The Swedish sources are very scarce. They have a cool online museum tho, so we were able to identify the swords they used in 1655.
There are some Swedish books which would be still useful, like:
Svärdet Och Värjan Som Armévapen by Heribert Seitz 1955
Svenska Blankvapen del 2 by Olof Berg
And someone who can actually read them. :grin:

After playing Bannerlord a lot, I think WFAS and Warband have still some advantages over it.

They have smaller unit sizes, which means it does matter what you kill on the battlefield. Your personal contibution is unimportant in BL. So BL is too much for a skirmish game, but not enough for a strategic game.
Furthermore, the battles are too quick.
Sieges in Warband are more uniqe, because the location of castles matter more, they are more different. There are castles where we cannot use siege towers, so the setup is different. Sieges in Warband are harder. Not so much in WFAS, but still.
These older games are less grindy.

Don't get me wrong, BL is packed with very cool features. Some of its hindrances can be remedied during the further development.

Sieges in Warband are more uniqe, because the location of castles matter more, they are more different. There are castles where we cannot use siege towers, so the setup is different. Sieges in Warband are harder. Not so much in WFAS, but still.
The most interesting ones are in Viking Conquest due to the dozens scripted siege events. Very interesting, realistic and entertaining.

Excuse me , can anyone answer me about how to change the map icons for town/village?...i have tried it already on WFaS through process_village_raids in Module_scripts.txt but it still not working like in Warband by using the same source code structure (including normal/burnt and deserted icons)...the point is all of the villages in WFaS's Native seem to has a bug which it turn into Warband's village icon after 5 seconds since the campaign has started instead of their own unique style various by function in Fire&Sword.

It works in the mod, so you don't need to change it.
It was fixed by a contributor many years ago, it must have been something about the automatic refreshing algorithm.

It works in the mod, so you don't need to change it.
It was fixed by a contributor many years ago, it must have been something about the automatic refreshing algorithm.
Thank you for answer, but i really want to know which source code that they fill in the scripts to make it fixed like in Cstadi mod(one of the greatest mod for many bugs fix in my mind), or do you have it's module system file and can you send it to me via DM please. because I think it would be useful for me as a guideline to make my own mod in the near future. that all would be my pleasure from your help?

I'm a fairly ambitious mod maker, and I'm curious as to how you prevented the AI from parrying with guns (and presumably also switch to their swords when in close combat). Is there a simple code I can implement into my own scripts.py, or do I change something somewhere?

I'm a fairly ambitious mod maker, and I'm curious as to how you prevented the AI from parrying with guns (and presumably also switch to their swords when in close combat). Is there a simple code I can implement into my own scripts.py, or do I change something somewhere?
It's quite simple. All guns had the ability to switch to a melee called next_item_to_melee or such. I deleted them and added sabers to all musketeers.
The bug is still present, but parrying with their sabers looks less ridiculous.

It's quite simple. All guns had the ability to switch to a melee called next_item_to_melee or such. I deleted them and added sabers to all musketeers.
The bug is still present, but parrying with their sabers looks less ridiculous.
I'm having problems getting this to work. When I remove itp_next_item_as_melee from all Muskets, I get an "IndexError: list index out of range" when I compile the module, and the same thing happens if I also remove the itc_parry_polearm that follows (I wasn't sure whether that was supposed to stay or not because the comma between next_item and it implies they're related). Are you sure this is the only thing I need to do?

Code:
["old_musket", "Matchlock Musket", [("mushket_old_a",0),("mushket_old_a_I", ixmesh_inventory)], itp_type_crossbow |itp_merchandise|itp_primary|itp_two_handed|itp_cant_use_on_horseback|itp_cant_reload_on_horseback|itp_can_penetrate_shield ,itcf_shoot_musket|itcf_carry_spear,
 480 , weight(7.0)|abundance(200)|difficulty(8)|spd_rtng(23) | shoot_speed(390) | thrust_damage(76 ,pierce)|max_ammo(1)|accuracy(73),imodbits_crossbow, [], [fac_kingdom_1,fac_kingdom_2,fac_kingdom_4,fac_kingdom_5] ],

Code:
["old_musket", "Matchlock Musket", [("mushket_old_a",0),("mushket_old_a_I", ixmesh_inventory)], itp_type_crossbow |itp_merchandise|itp_primary|itp_two_handed|itp_cant_use_on_horseback|itp_cant_reload_on_horseback|itp_can_penetrate_shield ,itcf_shoot_musket|itcf_carry_spear,
 480 , weight(7.0)|abundance(200)|difficulty(8)|spd_rtng(23) | shoot_speed(390) | thrust_damage(76 ,pierce)|max_ammo(1)|accuracy(73),imodbits_crossbow, [], [fac_kingdom_1,fac_kingdom_2,fac_kingdom_4,fac_kingdom_5] ],
Thank you, I see what I did wrong now. There's supposed to be a comma between itp_can_penetrate_shield and itcf_shoot_musket, not a |. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom