Revan Shan said:
CinuzIta said:
Hello guys :smile:

For this models, thanks to Archangel2k
platemail_set_01.jpg

mail_hauberk_01.jpg

Let me 'guess'. Medieval 2 Total War.

well...some helmets are most certainly inspired to mtw II's one... :smile:

Not inspired. Most of the texture (of the model skin) comes from it.

and is that a problem? for Pop wasn't...

CinuzIta said:
Revan Shan said:
CinuzIta said:
Revan Shan said:
CinuzIta said:

platemail_set_01.jpg

mail_hauberk_01.jpg

Not for me. It's just... 'barely legal'.

Revan Shan said:
CinuzIta said:
Revan Shan said:
CinuzIta said:
Revan Shan said:
CinuzIta said:

platemail_set_01.jpg

mail_hauberk_01.jpg

Hi all,

Just to clarify. 

These meshes and textures are completely legal - I've worked under contract for several games development teams during the late 90's and early-mid 2000's including Origin and Creative Assembly.  The textures included in this - and indeed the PoP mod are those that are based on designs that two colleagues and I created back for the late Alpha and Beta version of Medieval II: Total War, they have since been edited, enlarged and retextured for use in other mods for several other games and only bear a resemblance to the originals, they should not be perfectly identical to anything from Medieval II: Total War and as such they should be perfectly safe to use.

This was originally done as a private project for my 14 year old nephew who wanted 'Knights' like mine from Medieval II but in M&B, it was only later on that I approached Saxondragon of the PoP mod to see if the same units would have been any use to him, then after release I gave permission for other modders to use similar meshes and textures.

If you look closely you will see that the Models themselves are actually heavily edited versions of those already found in M&B - mainly due to the fact that the *.mesh files we used in Medieval II:Total War and the *.obj/*.smd files used by Mount & Blade are completely incompatible.  The Body used for the Platemail harness is from the native cuir bouilli mesh, whilst the Hounskull Bascinets and Sallets are a combination of the native mail coif and plain bascinet helm, both heavily edited, reskinned and with a rudimentary faceplate added to it.  (I've even included helms based on meshes that I quite liked but were actually dropped from commercial release).

Unfortunately because they're based so heavily on the originals, they do look very similar and it's easy to see how they can be mistaken for the untouched ones from that old game, if you compare screenshots - or even better, unpack the textures from M2TW and compare them, you will see the difference.  That and the fact that these meshes have about twice the amount of polys.

Here's a quick screenshot that compares them
evolution_of_the_knights.jpg

Kind regards,

-- Archangel

Archangel2K said:
Revan Shan said:
CinuzIta said:
Revan Shan said:
CinuzIta said:
Revan Shan said:
CinuzIta said:

platemail_set_01.jpg

mail_hauberk_01.jpg

Hi all,

Just to clarify. 

These meshes and textures are completely legal - I've worked under contract for several games development teams during the late 90's and early-mid 2000's including Origin and Creative Assembly.  The textures included in this - and indeed the PoP mod are those that are based on designs that two colleagues and I created back for the late Alpha and Beta version of Medieval II: Total War, they have since been edited, enlarged and retextured for use in other mods for several other games and only bear a resemblance to the originals, they should not be perfectly identical to anything from Medieval II: Total War and as such they should be perfectly safe to use.

This was originally done as a private project for my 14 year old nephew who wanted 'Knights' like mine from Medieval II but in M&B, it was only later on that I approached Saxondragon of the PoP mod to see if the same units would have been any use to him, then after release I gave permission for other modders to use similar meshes and textures.

If you look closely you will see that the Models themselves are actually heavily edited versions of those already found in M&B - mainly due to the fact that the *.mesh files we used in Medieval II:Total War and the *.obj/*.smd files used by Mount & Blade are completely incompatible.  The Body used for the Platemail harness is from the native cuir bouilli mesh, whilst the Hounskull Bascinets and Sallets are a combination of the native mail coif and plain bascinet helm, both heavily edited, reskinned and with a rudimentary faceplate added to it.  (I've even included helms based on meshes that I quite liked but were actually dropped from commercial release).

Unfortunately because they're based so heavily on the originals, they do look very similar and it's easy to see how they can be mistaken for the untouched ones from that old game, if you compare screenshots - or even better, unpack the textures from M2TW and compare them, you will see the difference.  That and the fact that these meshes have about twice the amount of polys.

Kind regards,

-- Archangel

wadda ****?!? you're a pro modeller? that's a nice surprise!! :shock:

Hi CinuzIta,

I'd hardly call myself a pro, just someone that's dabbled a bit in the gaming industry and needed the cash to make ends meet.

Back in my days anything over 1000 polys was considered highly detailed and several models like that on-screen at any time would make our machines slow down to a crawl.  Nah, I'm semi-retired and working in a nice quiet office job these days and have handed over the reins to a new generation of modellers and skinners that are far more capable than I ever was.  I only ocassionally make stuff when I get bored, or if someone asks me for help with something.

If you're looking for a pro you should see some of the work that fellow Dejawolf has come out with - I've known guys in the industry that I've worked with for almost 15 years that would struggle to create some of the stuff he's released recently - and definitely not as fast either.  In fact it was his Great Bascinet that I saw here that gave me inspiration to redo mine in a similar fashion and whilst it's okay, it's nowhere near as detailed as his one, even with those damn feathers added on the top. :wink:

Kind regards and all the best,

-- Archangel

Archangel2K said:
Hi CinuzIta,

I'd hardly call myself a pro, just someone that's dabbled a bit in the gaming industry and needed the cash to make ends meet.

Back in my days anything over 1000 polys was considered highly detailed and several models like that on-screen at any time would make our machines slow down to a crawl.  Nah, I'm semi-retired and working in a nice quiet office job these days and have handed over the reins to a new generation of modellers and skinners that are far more capable than I ever was.  I only ocassionally make stuff when I get bored, or if someone asks me for help with something.

If you're looking for a pro you should see some of the work that fellow Dejawolf has come out with - I've known guys in the industry that I've worked with for almost 15 years that would struggle to create some of the stuff he's released recently - and definitely not as fast either.  In fact it was his Great Bascinet that I saw here that gave me inspiration to redo mine in a similar fashion and whilst it's okay, it's nowhere near as detailed as his one, even with those damn feathers added on the top. :wink:

Kind regards and all the best,

-- Archangel

well.. i like your models a lot...some in my opinion are better even of dejawolf's one... :grin:

Hi Fedeita,

Here's a quick pic showing the comparisons - scale 1-1 :-

bascinets_duel.jpg

Dejawolf's version is actually a lot closer to the real thing (seen to the right), has almost twice as many polys as mine making it much smoother, it's nose is a slightly rounder shape than my version and his eye-slits are slightly shorter and higher up.  He's also added the authentic gorget to it as well, whilst mine is just the helm.

If memory serves me right, if you look closely at Dejawolfs version, you can actually see a shadowy face inside looking back at you, mine's just black.

All in all, his is actually better than mine, but hey - mine's got feathers on it!!! :wink:

Regards,

-- Archangel

Revan Shan said:
CinuzIta said:
Revan Shan said:
CinuzIta said:
Revan Shan said:
CinuzIta said:

platemail_set_01.jpg

mail_hauberk_01.jpg

which make it so much more sexy

ahahah i'm almost crying by viewing your two works.
Archangel and Dejawolf is not time to make your own version of game ? Not just a Mod ? ahahha ^^.
You are too good guys really i invie you ^_*

I find both works extremly good looking (the helms) ... only wondering how one could wear that for more then few hours without having his neck broken  :lol: that thing must weight a lot.
And waiting for the mod. Good luck with it!  :smile:

GodHandApostole said:
I find both works extremly good looking (the helms) ... only wondering how one could wear that for more then few hours without having his neck broken  :lol: that thing must weight a lot.
ehehe that's why they was short maybe ? Too weight on neck ahahahahhahaha

so guys...here you can see the difference between the medieval II and mountandblade's archangel's models:

evolution_of_the_knights.jpg

and here you can see the Emperor's guard from the Agathenian Empire along with some cataphracts (those guys mounted):

mb17f.jpg

Cataphract

mb19.jpg

Still the cataphract

mb21.jpg

Emperor's Guard

mb27.jpg

The before guard again... :smile:

that's it for now...the emperor's guard armor and helmet are made with mine new textures... :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom