MP Tutorial Scenes Creating a Multiplayer Map - (From Script to Hosting) ((Updated!))

Users who are viewing this thread

I does not understand(include). It is impossible to create a map with a software??? All have to be made by code???

QBDU07 said:
I does not understand(include). It is impossible to create a map with a software??? All have to be made by code???

the code is just minimal and is more for adding the map to the game , you can go in edit mode and just manipulate and create maps ingame with menu's for adding items and manipulate terrain using your mouse.

Rhonerin said:
How do i make my map playable in other modules?

Simply place the scene in the SceneObj folder of the mod. Then you need to edit the same three module files for that mod, compile and overwrite the original module files. It will then appear as a poll option, admin option, whatnot...

Turanien said:
Rhonerin said:
How do i make my map playable in other modules?

Simply place the scene in the SceneObj folder of the mod. Then you need to edit the same three module files for that mod, compile and overwrite the original module files. It will then appear as a poll option, admin option, whatnot...

Dident work it ****ed up the mod....

Umm... I've come to the part where I have to get my map as an option in Multiplayer but..... Well, Ima be honest.. Im in some pretty deep mud... And I cant get loose... I have followed all trutorials but everything I try seems to go deeper in the mud.. And it's not gettin' me out of it. Please help...
I've done everything with the writing, and stuff, but when I change name and such on maps in Module_Scenes it doesnt seem to matter what I do, my maps wont appear! Instead of my blank map, some random goo appear like Deathmatch (as map :S) and Team Deathmatch (as map too...) and even Map End! (The map end line in Module_Scenes...)

So, as you prob. have noticed, and as I said before, Im in some pretty deep mud.. Please help!!

EDIT: Now i am going berserk. I repeated the whole thing twice, and no button appears. Also, if you dont mind, i'll rant a little about the usage of Python. Why use python and not C or C++ which are much simpler, don't need this indentation bull****, and a nice little code::blocks project for us to compile after being done editing? Would make things easier in my opinion. Not relevant. Now about this thing not working. No button appears in tutorial or battle screen, and i can't see my map anywhere (not in custom battle, not in multiplayer hosting place...). And i'm gonna become crazy if this continues.

EDIT2: Why don't you post the edited files for download? That way there would be no need for a tutorial, a simple download would make the whole thing work!

jmarques said:
EDIT: Now i am going berserk. I repeated the whole thing twice, and no button appears. Also, if you dont mind, i'll rant a little about the usage of Python. Why use python and not C or C++ which are much simpler, don't need this indentation bull****, and a nice little code::blocks project for us to compile after being done editing? Would make things easier in my opinion. Not relevant. Now about this thing not working. No button appears in tutorial or battle screen, and i can't see my map anywhere (not in custom battle, not in multiplayer hosting place...). And i'm gonna become crazy if this continues.

EDIT2: Why don't you post the edited files for download? That way there would be no need for a tutorial, a simple download would make the whole thing work!

It's posts like this that annoy me.

RE: point 1 - Python is the code in which the program was built, I can safely assume. Therefore, it makes sense that the construction kit would be in python also. Python is in fact, a much older, more stable, and in some cases more logical programming language. It doesn't often cater for those who don't have a clue how to program, but then the fact remains if you want to alter a game you should learn how to. This isn't even base-level Python. This is using pre-coded scripts to use higher-level commands to produce the files for your module. If the base-level was C++, I don't doubt you'd be doing almost exactly the same thing. Indentation isn't a requirement. It's good practice. It makes code easier to read. And many codes in C/C++ will have indentation.

RE: point 2 - If he gave you HIS files you could play HIS maps. Which I'm assuming you don't have. This is about adding your OWN maps not his. Think before you post.

Making that point was my entire reason for logging in right now.

On a helpful note: Make sure you have the map listed under the correct game mode. It will only appear in the map list with that game mode, or multiple modes if you put it in each. This is done in the Scripts.py

Regardless I'm having a few troubles myself - It will allow me to access the map but the map itself doesn't seem to want to behave. I have the correctly named .SCO and the correct landscape code but for reasons that are beyond me it looks exactly like a Random_Multi_Plains_Large. Will look into it more but if anyone understands why it'd be a great help. Will probly just use this map as the starting point and build from scratch. Woo for building a city from scratch!  :neutral:

EDIT:
It keeps generating a random map each time. *sigh* And I've made sure of the tags in Module_Scenes.py?

Module_Scenes.py:
("multi_scene_20",sf_generate,"none", "none", (0,0),(100,100),-100,"0x000000013000050000025896000008e00000633e00000d06",
    [],[],"outer_terrain_plain"),

Module_Scripts.py:

(try_begin),
        (this_or_next|eq, ":game_type", multiplayer_game_type_deathmatch),
        (this_or_next|eq, ":game_type", multiplayer_game_type_duel),
        (eq, ":game_type", multiplayer_game_type_team_deathmatch),
        (troop_set_slot, "trp_multiplayer_data", multi_data_maps_for_game_type_begin, "scn_multi_scene_1"),
        (troop_set_slot, "trp_multiplayer_data", multi_data_maps_for_game_type_begin + 1, "scn_multi_scene_2"),
        (troop_set_slot, "trp_multiplayer_data", multi_data_maps_for_game_type_begin + 2, "scn_multi_scene_4"),
        (troop_set_slot, "trp_multiplayer_data", multi_data_maps_for_game_type_begin + 3, "scn_multi_scene_7"),
        (troop_set_slot, "trp_multiplayer_data", multi_data_maps_for_game_type_begin + 4, "scn_multi_scene_9"),
        (troop_set_slot, "trp_multiplayer_data", multi_data_maps_for_game_type_begin + 5, "scn_multi_scene_11"),
        (troop_set_slot, "trp_multiplayer_data", multi_data_maps_for_game_type_begin + 6, "scn_multi_scene_12"),
        (troop_set_slot, "trp_multiplayer_data", multi_data_maps_for_game_type_begin + 7, "scn_multi_scene_14"),       
        (troop_set_slot, "trp_multiplayer_data", multi_data_maps_for_game_type_begin + 8, "scn_random_multi_plain_medium"),
        (troop_set_slot, "trp_multiplayer_data", multi_data_maps_for_game_type_begin + 9, "scn_random_multi_plain_large"),
        (troop_set_slot, "trp_multiplayer_data", multi_data_maps_for_game_type_begin + 10, "scn_random_multi_steppe_medium"),
        (troop_set_slot, "trp_multiplayer_data", multi_data_maps_for_game_type_begin + 11, "scn_random_multi_steppe_large"),
      ## Mine
        (troop_set_slot, "trp_multiplayer_data", multi_data_maps_for_game_type_begin + 12, "scn_multi_scene_20"),
      ## End of Mine
        (assign, ":num_maps", 13),

Module_Strings.py:

("multi_scene_15", "Random Steppe (Large)"),
##mine
  ("multi_scene_20", "Civil Unrest"),
##end of mine
  ("multi_scene_end", "multi_scene_end"),

EDIT:

Resolved. Had to move it after the random maps in the scenes.py - silly me!  :roll:

Actually, the SF_generate is on all scenes, regardless of random generation, and had nothing to do with it? the tags after that on random_plains_large etc. would enable the random generation. the problem was the hardcoded positions of the random maps in the maps list. trying to put mine before this location in the code was causing it to load random_plains_large when i selected my map, and if i selected the last of the random maps it would load mine.

Code that works fine:
##originally had it HERE. Didn't work.
##bit in blue is the random generation
  ("random_multi_plain_medium",sf_generate|sf_randomize|sf_auto_entry_points,"none", "none", (0,0),(240,240),-0.5,"0x00000001394018dd000649920004406900002920000056d7",
    [],[], "outer_terrain_plain"),
  ("random_multi_plain_large",sf_generate|sf_randomize|sf_auto_entry_points,"none", "none", (0,0),(240,240),-0.5,"0x000000013a001853000aa6a40004406900002920001e4f81",
    [],[], "outer_terrain_plain"),
  ("random_multi_steppe_medium", sf_generate|sf_randomize|sf_auto_entry_points, "none", "none", (0,0),(100, 100), -0.5, "0x0000000128601ae300063d8f0004406900002920001e4f81",
    [],[], "outer_terrain_steppe"),
  ("random_multi_steppe_large", sf_generate|sf_randomize|sf_auto_entry_points, "none", "none", (0,0),(100, 100), -0.5, "0x000000012a00d8630009fe7f0004406900002920001e4f81",
    [],[], "outer_terrain_steppe"),

##moved it here, works fine.
  ("multi_scene_20",sf_generate,"none", "none", (0,0),(100,100),-100,"0x000000013000050000025896000008e00000633e00000d06",
    [],[],"outer_terrain_plain"),

Not trying to steal your thunder or anything  :oops:

well i'll add what i encountered in trying to create maps; i had no problems in following this great tutorial (i'm quite a noob), but when i started putting objects into maps i saw the editor crash every time i tried to save a scene; it crashed 99% of the times only when i closed the editor to save after i put in objects (castle walls or even just an apple), and never after i just edited the terrain elevation.
After trying a few things i found out that closing the editor clicking his button "Close" someway makes it crash (after adding objects); if i close the editor by pressing ctrl-e it never looks to have any crash problems.
I thought i'd share this, if anyone has had the same problem -even though it may just be my pc :/ -

Hum. I can make my map and stuff, and i leave edit mode to save it, and that seems to work, but if i try to select the scene again in the scene chooser, it comes up blank :sad:
Anyone know whats going on?

Sour Cream and Onion said:
Hum. I can make my map and stuff, and i leave edit mode to save it, and that seems to work, but if i try to select the scene again in the scene chooser, it comes up blank :sad:
Anyone know whats going on?

Define "Blank"? Is it a new terrain, with nothing on it? If so then you made the same mistake as me - place the new map AFTER all the "Random" maps in the python files. If it's exactly the same terrain but no objects, then chances are it's something else.

Sorry I can't be more help!

Sour Cream and Onion said:
Well its the same map I made in the terrain thingy. Anything I've added in edit (and saved) disappears.

could it be that it doesn't save the .sco file?
try to start build_module.bat after you add your terrain info in module_scenes.py before starting warband maybe
or check again the module folder in module_info.py

Back
Top Bottom