Resolved Crashing on anything Save/Load related

Users who are viewing this thread

Summary: Experiencing crashing when either clicking save, save as, or attempting to resume an auto save. Only option for me to keep playing a save file is just to leave that game and Banerlord open on my PC. Edit: Also not sure if this could be affecting it: The game is installed on my HDD and it saves under Documents on my SSD. I have 30 GB free on my SSD, so it is not a matter of free space. Installation location has no effect on the crashes.
How to Reproduce: Start a game and attempt save or load the auto save.

Quest/Settlement Name (if related):
Media (Screenshots & Video): Will update if I can learn how to capture it.
Version: e1.0.3 Edit: I would like to make a note that this has been occurring since the first version. I have created new games with the patches and same problem occurs. Actually this only came when patch 1.0.3 came out. I remember saving and being able to load my saves prior to it.

Computer Specs:
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX1080 A8G Gaming
CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 3.2GHz 12MB
RAM: 32 GB (G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4)
Motherboard: Asus STRIX Z370-H Gaming ATX MB
Storage Device (HDD): WD 2TB Blue 64MB 5400RPM SATA
Storage Device (SSD): Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD 250GB

Last edited:
Update: Installed patch 1.0.4 and still can't save without crashing

Edit: This is using the option "Save", "Save As" and "Save and Exit"

Update: Installed patch 1.0.5 and I still can not save or load without crashing. I have not installed any mods or changed any of the games files. I started a new campaign and completed the tutorial. Once done the tutorial I attempted to save and the game crashed. This was done with 1.0.5

Edit: I have done some of the other suggested workarounds, such as uninstalling, disabling firewalls and then re-installing. I only have Windows Defender and this workaround doesn't seem to work for Windows Defender. Today I will uninstall again (5th time, sigh) and clear some room on my SSD to see if being installed on the same drive makes a difference.

Last edited:
Deleted all files then installed the game on my SSD at version 1.0.5. Opened the game and started a new campaign, skipped the tutorial and attempted to "Save As" on the world map by training grounds, game crashed. I also tried a second time by completing the tutorial first to see if that would help. It did not and the game crashed while attempting to save.

I have been having this exact problem also with save, save as and resume. Started with 1.0.2 and is still not resolved as of 1.0.5. I tried installs on both my SSD and HDD.
Specs:
GPU: dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
CPU: Intel core i7 8700 3.70 GHz
RAM: 32 GB

Update: Installed patch 1.0.6 and ran the same tests under the same circumstances: (Currently game is installed on my SSD)
  1. Opened the game, started a new campaign, skipped the tutorial and attempted to "Save", "Save As" and "Save and Exit". Game crashed under all three circumstances.
  2. Opened the game, started a new campaign, played through the tutorial and attempted to "Save", "Save As" and "Save and Exit". Game Crashed in in all three circumstances.
I took it a step further today and instead of just creating a Sturgian character, I created one in each faction. This did not change the results and the game crashed under each faction character. I will continue to update as patches come out.

Related: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...s-configuration-directory-not-created.403416/

Are your settings saving? Is the game creating the correct folders?

Edit: Forgot to add: I would dump my file directory for you as well, not sure you want it though aha.

What do you mean about settings saving?? The game has created folders in My Documents:

EE9vu0y.png

nfskz5x.png

I had managed to create my own saves on the first couple days, but haven't since. The game has auto-saved the most recent game I played for a couple hours knowing I wouldn't be able to load. If I click resume on the main menu, the game crashes making it unable to load anything that's been saved prior.

Last edited:
Interesting. My game crashes on any save (cant load, as it never saves) and _doesnt_ create those folders.

I meant like, my settings "reset" every time because it never writes the config files.

Ohhh, I think my settings stay the same.

I feel your pain on the crashing around saving. I've started 6 different campaigns now and played on them for a few hours at a time because I want to enjoy some of it. The only solution I have right now is to keep the game open 24/7.

aha yeah I don't intend on letting my game run 24/7 either. I have considered the refund, but I don't know if I can with 21 hours played.

Update: Installed patch 1.0.6 and ran the same tests under the same circumstances: (Currently game is installed on my SSD)
  1. Opened the game, started a new campaign, skipped the tutorial and attempted to "Save", "Save As" and "Save and Exit". Game crashed under all three circumstances.
  2. Opened the game, started a new campaign, played through the tutorial and attempted to "Save", "Save As" and "Save and Exit". Game Crashed in in all three circumstances.
I took it a step further today and instead of just creating a Sturgian character, I created one in each faction. This did not change the results and the game crashed under each faction character. I will continue to update as patches come out.

Update: Removed all files again today and went with a new install back on my HDD, for the 1.0.7 Patch. Ran the same tests in the quoted text and attempted to click "Resume". When I click resume the game also crashes. Windows defender was also turned off during today's tests. Still waiting for a fix, or some suggestions that may help.

Update: Ran the same tests today with 1.0.9 Patch. Same results, nothing new, nothing else I expected and still waiting. Crashes are occurring and the game still can't be saved or loaded. Waiting for the next patch.

Hello, sorry for the late reply. We have fixed a considerable amount of the problems we have encountered so far and improved the game performance with the multiple patches we have released. Please make sure that your game, your drivers, and OS are up to date and the game has necessary permissions over your security software. Please let us know if the problem persists after completing these steps and verifying the integrity of the game files through Steam.

Thanks for the reply! Re-installed the game last night and played for a few hours. I thoroughly enjoyed all the new updates and the Save/Load problem I was having seems to have been fixed.

Edit: Not sure how to update thread to "Solved", but the problem is now solved :grin:

Back
Top Bottom