Crafting

Users who are viewing this thread

After 2016 Taleworlds didn't mention about crafting system. I would like to see the details of weapon crafting. Moreover, eventhough they said there will be no armor crafting, I wonder what is the chance of we getting it (Atleast as a mod).

I don't think it would be very hard to make an armor crafting system as simple as picking different parts (e.g. breast, shoulders, neck, waist, etc) and assigning different materials and finishes (textures) to each part.
As a plus, it would be cool to see decorative parts that don't affect the performance, but have social relevance.

Memoefe said:
After 2016 Taleworlds didn't mention about crafting system. I would like to see the details of weapon crafting.

I think they went into as much detail about crafting as they could, we saw quite a lot of video footage of exactly how it is done and what the options are. Off the top of my head I cannot think of any questions that were left unanswered about it.

DanAngleland said:
Memoefe said:
After 2016 Taleworlds didn't mention about crafting system. I would like to see the details of weapon crafting.

I think they went into as much detail about crafting as they could, we saw quite a lot of video footage of exactly how it is done and what the options are. Off the top of my head I cannot think of any questions that were left unanswered about it.

Still we've never seen the feature wrapped up, every time it was shown or mentioned it was stated that it was incomplete. As far as what they've shown the crafting is limited to weapons and it's quite underwhelming (considering missing parts that they've said would be added later)  :fruity:

DanAngleland said:
Memoefe said:

Considering how fast the game and dev's opinion about topic changes and how open this feature is to changes, there might be serious changes or details.

FBohler said:
I don't think it would be very hard to make an armor crafting system as simple as picking different parts (e.g. breast, shoulders, neck, waist, etc) and assigning different materials and finishes (textures) to each part.
As a plus, it would be cool to see decorative parts that don't affect the performance, but have social relevance.

It would be hard. Those components have effects (wrinkles, shadows) on the cloth, leather or gambeson worn under them, normally modelled and textured by the 3D workman. With a modular system those details would lose, as not every armor component has the same outline. Because of it's layered structure, intersection glitches would also arise during animation.

DtheHun said:
FBohler said:

It would be hard. Those components have effects (wrinkles, shadows) on the cloth, leather or gambeson worn under them, normally modelled and textured by the 3D workman. With a modular system those details would lose, as not every armor component has the same outline. Because of it's layered structure, intersection glitches would also arise during animation.

So far, everything that could be remotely considered as laborious is a no-no for TW. Considering the amount of development time, I don't think I can actually excuse them, but that won't stop me from playing their game anyway...  :roll:

I think, TW is still struggling to force the already announced improvements (better visuals, larger battles, soft-body simulation) on their engine, which graphically shows more and more resemblence to Warbands. The numbers are still a question. I doubt, that they want additional complexity in the battle scenes.

DtheHun said:
FBohler said:

Shadows are rendered in real time, no need to "make" them.

If they wanted to include armor crafting, they would have added it.

FBohler said:
DtheHun said:
FBohler said:

If they wanted to include armor crafting, they would have added it.

As I've said, it's too laborious, so they simply cut it or don't even mention it. It's quite infuriating to me considering the game is under development for almost a decade and they employ free workers  :roll:

At this point I am much more curious as to how the game will turn out than wishing to play it (more like a business experiment stand point than anything else), sure I'll manage to have fun with the game, but I think it'll be very underwhelming.

DtheHun said:
I think, TW is still struggling to force the already announced improvements (better visuals, larger battles, soft-body simulation) on their engine, which graphically shows more and more resemblence to Warbands. The numbers are still a question. I doubt, that they want additional complexity in the battle scenes.
Imo better virtuals and larger battles are already done well, maybe soft body simulations needs some tweaks. Other than that i dont understand how armor crafting would add complexity.

I'm more concerned with being able to create something out of small things. Just as it is in the usual games about the sandbox and survival.
Yeah yeah, i know that M&B is a squad-sandbox, but it would be cool if the game went further and added the ability to create everything from weapons and ending with traps and the ability to skin the carcass of animals, getting after that raw meat, which can then be cooked on fire.
This would greatly deepen the gameplay process.

AlexHBK said:
I'm more concerned with being able to create something out of small things. Just as it is in the usual games about the sandbox and survival.
Yeah yeah, i know that M&B is a squad-sandbox, but it would be cool if the game went further and added the ability to create everything from weapons and ending with traps and the ability to skin the carcass of animals, getting after that raw meat, which can then be cooked on fire.
This would greatly deepen the gameplay process.

That doesn't fit the core of M&B series... I mean, it could be added, but they'd have to do away with Map and create an Open-World akin to Elder Scrolls/Fallout/New AC games/Witcher... It'd lead to a totally different game... Besides, there are plenty of those lying around. M&B is a weird mix between Open-World RPGs and RTS, there's absolutely zero survival elements to it, and it can't be done without changing EVERYTHING.  :lol:

Breezy Tee said:

Shadows on ground, and walls are, but I doubt that self shadows of objects like armors will be real-time rendered.

Shading (not shadow) is effected by normal maps what are pre-made.

Breezy Tee said:
As I've said, it's too laborious, so they simply cut it or don't even mention it.

If my memory serves me well, I think they mentioned the possibility of implementing simplified armor crafting in the past.

I acknowledge that armor crafting is more complex than weapon crafting, but definitely not so complex it can't be done within ten years.

FBohler said:
I acknowledge that armor crafting is more complex than weapon crafting, but definitely not so complex it can't be done within ten years.
Last one year they added some features that I thought might never be added, either because I thought development stage is already past that or too 'laborious'. Considering that, there is still a chance  :fruity:

I'd like to be able to assign a task to a smith, who would then take the appropriate materials and create a standard piece of armor or weapon after some lapse of time.  Ideally, all equipment in the game could/should be made and/or repaired by sufficiently talented smiths in the towns and castles, but the village smiths would tend to have much more limited capabilities.  Being able to equip your troops with top tier armor and weapons should depend as much on obtaining and protecting your sources of materials, and the skilled craftsmen available to do the work, rather than just being based on the skills of your troops.  Weapons and armor aren't conjured up by magic, or at least shouldn't be in this game.

The icing on the cake would be to have customization available, either simple cosmetic changes (faction insignias, colored trim - not colored armor -, etc., so your own troops LOOK like they're yours, not some generic faction's), or very minor stat changes, if you have sufficiently skilled smiths that haven't retired or been killed in a raid.  That would make it a mid or late game thing, not something that you and your starting troops would be able to afford or even be likely to find for sale in the first few weeks of a campaign.  It got to be annoying in basic M&B and WB, trying to track down a 7th or 8th matching set of armor for your companions.  You should (eventually) be able to have them made, but it should take time, materials, and money.

Being able to repair your gear in town could also be a significant reason not to stay too long or drive too deep into enemy territory.  You can't fix stuff in the field, so eventually you have to return home, even if you can maintain local sources of food by raiding.

I doubt armour crafting will be in Bannerlord because they draw and design each armour set by hand. A defining lack of modularity means no amour crafting. Creating a modular system could be done but this means scrapping much of what has already been accomplished for something many would argue doesn’t add too much more value.

Memoefe said:
After 2016 Taleworlds didn't mention about crafting system. I would like to see the details of weapon crafting. Moreover, eventhough they said there will be no armor crafting, I wonder what is the chance of we getting it (Atleast as a mod).

I do believe they mentioned some more about the crafting in this dev blog.

Back
Top Bottom