SP - General craftable armor

Users who are viewing this thread

this has to be in the works right?
might need to change "smithing" to "crafting", and consolidate some of the perks. being able to turn linen and leather into light armor would be a welcome way to gain smithing points that doesn't involve mountains of hardwood

Bows, arrows,shields, and barding while we're at it

In addition to this it'd be nice if we could "reinforce" existing armors.

Currently I have a really awesome bear cloak and bear helm combo that leaves me looking like a devilish bear-man with a bow. But the bear helm isn't very good. I am still wearing it for sheer style, but it'd be nice if I could reinforce it a bit to make it more competitive with higher tier helmets.

Basically I want to be able to make my lower tier armor pieces more durable if I like the look of it better than the higher tier armors. At least within reason.

I think an armorer system would be a perfect solution to extend clothing/armor variety exponentially(literally)!

Since armor takes longer to make and needs more skill, too, this should be the task of a NPC or a workshop.
My initial Idea was to implement a foreman feature for workshops which provides a skill value for product quantity and quality
(so it could work for any workshop type). This foreman could than be used to determine which parts could be used and how good the output will be(like the already implemented Smith skill)
For defensive values I would suggest to use two(three for body armor) slots to provide to most part and the other slots to give small boni between -1 and +3.

Helmets: Padding + helmet
Shoulders: Base + protective gear
Body: Padding + chainmail(doubled if no breastplate) + breatplate
Arms: base + arm protection
Legs: base + greaves

Armor class could simply determined by the amount of added parts.

And more details:

Helmet

Helmets could use 4 different parts:
- padding slot for underneath the actual helmet(open coif, coif which covers most parts of the face, arming cap, thicker padding, leather,...) which should always exist so you could order a dull arming cap if you want to.
- the helmet slot which gives the main part of style (Spangenhelm, kettle helm, cervelliere,....)
- slot for optional protection (Noseguard, cheek plates , noseguard+ cheek plates, vendel spectacles, full face mask,...)
- slot for decorations (Plumes, crest,...)

Shoulders

Shoulder armor could use 3 different parts:
- base/padding slot to carry more protective gear(simple gambeson padding, aventail, gorget, the battanian strap construction,...) which should always exist except for the cape slot, for when you want to have a simple cape or pelt
- cape slot for decorative parts( capes, shals, pelts, hoods,...) if there isn't anything in the base slot you can't add protective gear
- protective gear slot which gives the main part of armor stats( lamellar guards, splints, scales, small pauldrons, ailette, upper cannons,...)

Body

Body armor could use 5 different parts:
- base/padding (Gambeson, shirts, mantles, tunics,...) which should always exist
- chain mail slot (chainmail, ringmail,...) so you could choose to have a layer of mail beneath your lamellar or scales for example
- breast plate slot which gives the main part of armor stats (Lamellar plates, splints, scale, plates,...) and a tickbox for a back plate of the same material
- skirt/tassets slot(lamellar, scale, chainmail, gambeson, leather, linen,...) if you pick the same material as in the chainmail slot or base/padding slot you could choose to extend this for things like knee long chain mail and gambeson
- upper leg slot(simple pants, padded pants, chausses, cuises, splints, lamellar,...)

Hand/Arms

Arm armor could use 3 different parts:
- base/vambrace slot which determines if this will be gloves, mittens guarded vambraces or vambraces (Leather, padding, simple linen) which should always exist
- arm protection(Lamellar, scale, splints,...) so you could make a leather glove with vambraces
- hand protection(Chainmail, small plates of iron, bone,...)

Legs

Leg armor could use different parts:
- base/boots slot (this could be any form of leather or fabric shoe or boot in the game) which should always exist
- greaves slot for the lower leg(lamellar, splints, scales, chainmail, extra padding,...)
- sabaton slot \m/(sry) for foot protection(plates, chainmail,...)

This feature would extend the amounts of armor in the game by far, gives players a chance to give them and their companions a unique look, help smaller modding teams to get a basic armor pool way more quickly and could be a interesting feature to spice up multiplayer by unlocking parts via leveling

Would definitely love to craft my own armor, if only to say I did. Adds depth of customization for those of us who don't chase min maxed stats, but an aesthetic.

Would definitely love to craft my own armor, if only to say I did. Adds depth of customization for those of us who don't chase min maxed stats, but an aesthetic.
Yes but I think most of the min-max-ers do not complain about the amount of armors and weapons in the game. My first idea was even deeper to make a system like borderlands where gear components would be rolled randomly for all troops

I don't think something like this can be pulled of with how the armours work already. Unless they spend a lot of work on it, but imo it's not necessary at all and instead adding more armour sets would be better, you can customize mixing them up yourself

I don't think something like this can be pulled of with how the armours work already. Unless they spend a lot of work on it, but imo it's not necessary at all and instead adding more armour sets would be better, you can customize mixing them up yourself
The mechanics @Flyaway92 proposes have too much depth to it, this would require a multi-layer armor mechanic and a complete rework of the damage parameters, npc stats, troop trees trade...
It would be nice to have a system similar to the blacksmithing (but improved...)

The mechanics @Flyaway92 proposes have too much depth to it, this would require a multi-layer armor mechanic and a complete rework of the damage parameters, npc stats, troop trees trade...
It would be nice to have a system similar to the blacksmithing (but improved...)
Yeah but even doing that is kind of nonsensical, you have to think how the hell do you do it? How you assemble parts of an armor, and you have to think you have to create each part for that armor to be assembled, in the end it would be just like buying armor for the store and that's it. I don't think you could get soo much different results from buying an armor and making one, which is different from building a sword because the parts are easily divided and the different combinations can get you an unique sword

Yeah but even doing that is kind of nonsensical, you have to think how the hell do you do it? How you assemble parts of an armor, and you have to think you have to create each part for that armor to be assembled, in the end it would be just like buying armor for the store and that's it. I don't think you could get soo much different results from buying an armor and making one, which is different from building a sword because the parts are easily divided and the different combinations can get you an unique sword
Very good point. Yet I think it could be implemented something like the OP proposes. And maybe you don't need to change anything more since it could be mostly cosmetic and, in the end, it gives an overall stat.

The more I think about it, I think it's not very different from the weapon smiting
(Helmets - nose guards; cheek guards; neck guard; flat/pointy top...)
(Body armor - here you wouldn't get as much customization but you could have a morphing system similar to the "need for speed" games
>

But think about this, what if a nose guard that belongs a vlandian helmet is to be inserted in a khuzait helmet, which has a totally different structure, how do you separate one from the other? Same for the chests, how do you mix a chain mail with a leather khuzait or aserai chest type, it would be quite a mess to work with that unless you limit armours to one type of faction, but then you would end up with the same armours you can already buy in stores. Again, you could do that system, making designers stress their heads over it, coming up with something stable that solves those issues, now you have to design everything, because you just dont get that small part from an armour out of nowhere, for results that would end up just like getting your armour from a trader. I would like some customization, like where do we place the banner symbol on some armours, or something simple, but in my opinion, instead of making an armour customization I would prefer making them put time in creating more armour sets, more capes and shoulder items that give a lot of opportunity for fashion and customization of character, that way you wouldnt have to put so much time in making a system that could pottentially be useless. Think about Dark Souls: the amount of armours and sets that are all over the games give opportunity to create unique characters, that even devolved into groups called "fashion souls" where people just put different customizations and make special characters. Bannerlord needs more armour variation, in my opinion, even if its already variable enough.

But think about this, what if a nose guard that belongs a vlandian helmet is to be inserted in a khuzait helmet, which has a totally different structure, how do you separate one from the other? Same for the chests...

Well, that's an obstacle and maybe it's not worth the time, it's up to the devs now.
I would like some customization, like where do we place the banner symbol on some armours, or something simple,
That would be nice. A carving and engraving system, sounds good.

While we're talking about crafting complete armors... that takes a lot of time. Right now, your crafting takes place instantaneously and is only limited by your endurance. I think ALL crafting should burn time.

I was in the Society for Creative Anachronism and actually took part in crafting a battle helm (my dad and my brother did most of the work, to tell the truth!). That's not a project you knock out in a day or two.

Remember toting around books in Mount & Blade? When you decided to camp out, you'd haul our your book and get a few chapters in. Over a few game months you finished the thing, took a stat increase, and then sold it. What if you carried around billets of metal and when you found yourself in a town you could pay a blacksmith shop to use their tools. Haul out your work-in-progress, form it a little better, then wrap it up and put it on your cargo mule when you decide to leave town and go back to work offing Looters. Over time, you'd gradually finish the piece - making it ready to wear, wield, or sell.

That's a hell of a lot more like crafting than what we do now. TIME is a resource and you should use it if you're going to be able to produce battle goods.

And adding the cost of TIME would do a lot to fix the current issues with crafting making so much money.

Back
Top Bottom