CPU not strong enough to run the game, options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Skyvoice

Recruit
Hello, I am not a very tech savvy person and I don't know a lot of tricks when it comes to hardware.

My specs are
CPU Intel Core i5 3350p 3,1GHz
GPU Nvidia GTX 660 2Gigs
8Gigs of ram ddr 1200MHz.
Windows 10

Now, my cpu is not strong enough to run the game without stuttering, which is a shame since I've been looking forward to the game since they announced it. Buying one is not an option because I would then also have to buy a new motherboard with it. This is a huge issue since I am from a country that has an averege monthly salary of 400 euros and even buying the game in these COVID 19 times put a decent dent on my budget. Do I have any options besides buying new gear? Is it possible to overclock this CPU to the point that it runs somewhat smooth on lowest settings?

I know that this doesn't have a lot to do with the game, but if possible, does anyone have experience with this? How much worse is my CPU compared to the minimum requirement of Intel Core i3-8100?

Again, sorry for posting this here, but I have nowhere to turn to for hardware advice regarding this particular game.

Overclocking strains your CPU, It may burn out your hardware if you don't have enough cooling. Sometimes you can still run a game on the hardware that is under spec but it's kinda risky and i don't think it will work with the game in this stage of development. I suggest patience, i know it's a tall order but the game is not going anywhere, when you have enough money to buy second hand components the game will still be there, and probably a lot more polished, balanced and with more features then it is today.

Its not even only about ur cpu the whole pc... it would be better to refund and enjoy warband mods

But ye waiting will be ur best bet. Computer parts get cheaper by each year.

You could try buying 8gb more of ram and an ssd to help with the stuttering, then turn everything to very low/low and it might just work but most likely your whole pc is just going to blow up playing bannerlord anyway.
edit: leave the cpu alone, its fine if you don't run 1000 men battles and overclocking is probably not possible since its not an unlocked chip.
edit2: your cpu isnt even that much worse than minimum requirements https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-3350P-vs-Intel-Core-i3-8100/m3018vs3942

I am going to speculate your RAM is currently the biggest culprit to your stuttering over your CPU. ESPECIALLY if you have a HHD not an SSD

I have a very good CPU & Graphics card, but unfortunately 8gigs ram and a HHD. I get stuttering and its a combo of the game being a ram pig/memory leaker + Windows 10 is terrible with disk usage, especially on HDD's. Limited ram will draw on your harddrive, requiring it to host virtual memory, and you get a stuttering death spiral.

That said your CPU may have some limiting factors to it as well, but my CPU usage when playing Bannerlord is pretty low compared to RAM/Disk usage.

your setup is not worse than mine and I can run the thing pretty smoothly on medium settings (i think my graphics card and cpu are maybe half a year ahead of yours)

Some things to try before giving up altogether:
- in the settings, set the audio channels to low, bc many pcs use the cpu instead of dedicated audio cards
- in the settings, set a fps limiter. i capped mine at 30fps. I know some peopel are severely bothered by so little, but some limiting might still help
- disable bodies lying around
- though it seems odd, i found my cpu does better with max battle size - I found my pc handles it better when many units are loaded at once, as opposed to continually spawning in reinforcements

edit: if you have access to a ssd, definitely try installing the game on one. it's helpful

Sequencially turn shadows to Static or off, lower battlesize, lower body count, turn off post processing effects and complicated shader options until you get the performance you're looking for.

Its not even only about ur cpu the whole pc... it would be better to refund and enjoy warband mods

But ye waiting will be ur best bet. Computer parts get cheaper by each year.
I could probably wait if the game hadn't come out yet, but now that it's out my patience is thin. Thanks for the advice

You could try buying 8gb more of ram and an ssd to help with the stuttering, then turn everything to very low/low and it might just work but most likely your whole pc is just going to blow up playing bannerlord anyway.
edit: leave the cpu alone, its fine if you don't run 1000 men battles and overclocking is probably not possible since its not an unlocked chip.
edit2: your cpu isnt even that much worse than minimum requirements https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-3350P-vs-Intel-Core-i3-8100/m3018vs3942
I wanted to avoid buying more ram, since when I buy the new motherboard and CPU, I'd buy ddr4. Thanks for the advice, I might do this.

If you need to avoid buying more RAM for that reason, a SSD you can use in the future would be a good investment. It may not make things perfect but will likely make a significant difference.

For most modern computers, the bottleneck is going to be RAM/HHD's as oppose to CPU's.

oh my 8gb of 1200mhz ram? go to pcpartpicker.com, go to ram, configure search for 16gb ddr4 3200mhz, pick a reliable one in your budget
I wanted to avoid buying more ram, since when I buy the new motherboard and CPU, I'd buy ddr4. Thanks for the advice, I might do this.
ram is usually very compatible unless you got a very old/unique mobo

Graphics card is the problem. The minimum is 2GB of video space. My processor and ram are similar to yours and it runs the game fine with 4GB card. You can most likely get a used 4gb graphics card for 50 Euros from somebody that upgraded or if you can have two 2GB cards also on the cheap

oh my 8gb of 1200mhz ram? go to pcpartpicker.com, go to ram, configure search for 16gb ddr4 3200mhz, pick a reliable one in your budget

ram is usually very compatible unless you got a very old/unique mobo
He's got a ddr3 compatible board/cpu at the moment. Can't just upgrade the memory to ddr4 without buying new mobo and cpu. Ddr3 and ddr4 are physically different

Sequencially turn shadows to Static or off, lower battlesize, lower body count, turn off post processing effects and complicated shader options until you get the performance you're looking for.
Good advice, but I already have all the settings on lowest :3

your setup is not worse than mine and I can run the thing pretty smoothly on medium settings (i think my graphics card and cpu are maybe half a year ahead of yours)

Some things to try before giving up altogether:
- in the settings, set the audio channels to low, bc many pcs use the cpu instead of dedicated audio cards
- in the settings, set a fps limiter. i capped mine at 30fps. I know some peopel are severely bothered by so little, but some limiting might still help
- disable bodies lying around
- though it seems odd, i found my cpu does better with max battle size - I found my pc handles it better when many units are loaded at once, as opposed to continually spawning in reinforcements

edit: if you have access to a ssd, definitely try installing the game on one. it's helpful
I don't get it, don't I want more fps? How much fps do I need for a game to look smooth?

Graphics card is the problem. The minimum is 2GB of video space. My processor and ram are similar to yours and it runs the game fine with 4GB card. You can most likely get a used 4gb graphics card for 50 Euros from somebody that upgraded or if you can have two 2GB cards also on the cheap
Actually, I think you are right. Ram and GPU is probably the bottleneck. I will run the test and see what part (cpu, gpu, ram) caps when I start the game and post it

Back
Top Bottom