couched lances need to have a reduced area of effect

Users who are viewing this thread

amanamoth

Recruit
many times that i get "hit" by a lance it isnt even close to where i am, it feels like the entire area in front of the horse is a kill zone, sometimes the lance is on the other side of the horse and it still hits me. ive even seen player move their lanced fast left and right to get a hit regardless if its even aimed properly

many times that i get "hit" by a lance it isnt even close to where i am, it feels like the entire area in front of the horse is a kill zone, sometimes the lance is on the other side of the horse and it still hits me. ive even seen player move their lanced fast left and right to get a hit regardless if its even aimed properly
Its a several-fold problem. I'm not sure if the hitbox is too big necessarily, but the "killbox" is often not where you'd think it is, both when using the lance and when being lanced.
I'm not sure if it is a desync problem or a collision issue in multiplayer, it does not seem quite as wonky in single player.

I've been playing since early access and the way that you can aim the lance has already been severely nerfed. It used to be fun to try and hit someone at a wide angle with a couch in order to sneak it and not get hit back, but like many other fun and skillful in game mechanics, it was nerfed to near uselessness and is less fun than before.

Last edited:
What you really want is for couch lance to not move. Because essentially what happens when people couch lance is that the game doesn't follow quite as quickly visually as it does mechanically to how people move the lance. So when I swipe it left you don't see that on your screen because the game isn't picking that up graphically but it does actually register it. Realistically lances should probably be fairly static so I don't necessarily disagree. The developers sort of addressed this already by very significantly reducing the lances mobility and damage already. Though I think even it still doesn't register for people so it seems like you get hit when they completely miss but actually they just appropriately adjusted. It feels pretty clumsy on horseback at the moment. Lancing is awkward risky and sometimes completely whiffs inexplicably. Realistically if you maintain high speeds and swing accurately lancing is effectively completely useless. It's already a crutch for people that find it difficult to swing while moving quickly. Knowing that lancing is worse actually than just swinging at high speeds, it seems difficult to make it even weaker. I think if you lock it in place and even make it so you have ride relatively straight like... you start lancing and your lance freezes your horse speeds up and you have to go straight but you deal a whopping blow which is pretty accurate kills anything in one hit but forces you into a very set patch for 10 yards or so but also gets your horse to do like a bit of dashing. There you go now it's a focused ability which has usefulness. Right now it's sort of bad already is my concern.

What you really want is for couch lance to not move. Because essentially what happens when people couch lance is that the game doesn't follow quite as quickly visually as it does mechanically to how people move the lance. So when I swipe it left you don't see that on your screen because the game isn't picking that up graphically but it does actually register it. Realistically lances should probably be fairly static so I don't necessarily disagree. The developers sort of addressed this already by very significantly reducing the lances mobility and damage already. Though I think even it still doesn't register for people so it seems like you get hit when they completely miss but actually they just appropriately adjusted. It feels pretty clumsy on horseback at the moment. Lancing is awkward risky and sometimes completely whiffs inexplicably. Realistically if you maintain high speeds and swing accurately lancing is effectively completely useless. It's already a crutch for people that find it difficult to swing while moving quickly. Knowing that lancing is worse actually than just swinging at high speeds, it seems difficult to make it even weaker. I think if you lock it in place and even make it so you have ride relatively straight like... you start lancing and your lance freezes your horse speeds up and you have to go straight but you deal a whopping blow which is pretty accurate kills anything in one hit but forces you into a very set patch for 10 yards or so but also gets your horse to do like a bit of dashing. There you go now it's a focused ability which has usefulness. Right now it's sort of bad already is my concern.
I'm not a horseback rider or a medieval knight, so I'm not sure, but I don't think there's anything that would stop someone from changing the direction the lance is pointed in, maybe the weight of the weapon and the bounce of the horse?

I'm not a horseback rider or a medieval knight, so I'm not sure, but I don't think there's anything that would stop someone from changing the direction the lance is pointed in, maybe the weight of the weapon and the bounce of the horse?
Pretty sure they did lock the lance in place and hold it steady for the moment of impact at the least but still aimed it a bit. but I don't know if there are any modern examples to properly draw upon to fully prove one way or the other. I imagine that yes it is unweildy to move around more so due to it's length. Imagine carrying an imbalanced ten foot pole it's not super heavy but at the angle they are holding it yes it would be very hard to maneuver I could only imagine a little bit of left and right and even then you would -Not- want it to be wiggling before you impact.

Its a several-fold problem. I'm not sure if the hitbox is too big necessarily, but the "killbox" is often not where you'd think it is, both when using the lance and when being lanced.
I'm not sure if it is a desync problem or a collision issue in multiplayer, it does not seem quite as wonky in single player.
This.

It's a hitbox issue with the weapon, and it's not just on horseback (although it's definitely the worst on horseback). And it's not always beneficial. There are days where I have stable 60fps and 21 ping, and I watch 10-15 times a round where the texture of my lance travels through peoples' bodies, or especially heads, and it doesn't do anything. Often I'll couch at a group of people, the lance travels through 4 or 5 enemies with my horse nudging them aside and doing no damage, then I couch a teammate who is on the other side of the horse 2 feet away. Sometimes I miss enemies with my lance by as much as 3-4 feet, and still manage to hit them. I am not versed in the technical details, but my layman's guess would be that it's mostly a server sync issue. Horsemen would sometimes get out of sync temporarily with the server (usually after bumping someone with a horse) in Warband, so it's a problem that's been around since forever within the series. But it's downright atrocious in Bannerlord. So much so that Horsemen feels like a diceroll simulator. And it's made worse by (you guessed it) the weapon attack delay.

I think that if they made it to where the couching wasnt permanent, and it only lasted a few (1-2) seconds it would be much better. Sort of like real life where you cant just hold the lance in hand, in a real tournament joust you can see that they lower the lance at the last moment because it is actually possible to aim it as it goes down. holding it would cause it to bounce up and down and you cant aim at anything that way

I think that if they made it to where the couching wasnt permanent, and it only lasted a few (1-2) seconds it would be much better. Sort of like real life where you cant just hold the lance in hand, in a real tournament joust you can see that they lower the lance at the last moment because it is actually possible to aim it as it goes down. holding it would cause it to bounce up and down and you cant aim at anything that way
The lance DOES have a mechanic like this already. After a couple seconds of couching the lance will indeed start bouncing up and down and become near impossible to aim consistently.

Back
Top Bottom