MP Couched lance - Low risk, high reward

Users who are viewing this thread

Couched lances kill players with one hit and destroys shields with one hit, but allmost never at the same time. Sometimes the lance hit is broken, thats true, but you cant count on it not working, it works most of the time. When already couching the lance you can slow down a bit, but that drastically reduces the demage bonus and its still not easy to turn corners, especially without hitting anything else, which stops the couching.
Im sure he didnt mean both breaking the shield and killing the player at the same time tho.

What? Couching is bad enough as it is, you want to nerf it more? Couching should be the standard fighting method on horseback.

Right now it sucks compared to actively stabbing due to lack of reach.

What? Couching is bad enough as it is, you want to nerf it more? Couching should be the standard fighting method on horseback.

Right now it sucks compared to actively stabbing due to lack of reach.
lmao ye stabbing with attack delay really is superior to an instant, everlasting, no cooldown 1hit attack that requires barely any speed and works even uphill.
on top of that you can kill even shielders easily because bumpcouching is so freaking easy
what game are you people even playing that makes you spell this nonsense

lmao ye stabbing with attack delay really is superior to an instant, everlasting, no cooldown 1hit attack that requires barely any speed and works even uphill.
on top of that you can kill even shielders easily because bumpcouching is so freaking easy
what game are you people even playing that makes you spell this nonsense

I can always outreach someone trying to couch lance me with a stab. A stab has such a reach advantage that makes couching pointless, it kills in one hit most of the time too.

Last edited:
I can always outreach someone trying to couch lance me with a stab. A stab has such a reach advantage that makes couching pointless, it kills in one hit most of the time too.
You can only do that on an open field area where you see the other guy couching at you from miles away due to the attack delay. Even if you hit you don't always onehit, if you miss you're always dead. This is in a cav vs cav fight. Due to higher mobility of course you've an easier time to deal with couches. Infantry and archer don't have that option. You get couched around a corner since there's no cooldown or limited duration. Couches have been op for long enough and should get nerfed. If you think otherwise you haven't played against good players that abuse the mechanic.

Couching is only viable against someone not paying attention to you. If both are facing each other, the coucher is a dead man.

Most people I've seen in videos release their stabs way too late, then some of them have the gall to complain about couching.

Infantry and archer don't have that option. You get couched around a corner since there's no cooldown or limited duration
I love couchers when I'm infantry, I outreach them with my spear easily. Literally easiest kill out of all types of enemies.

Archers suffer alot from the broken couch mechanics especially on these super open maps. If TW nerfs couches they might need to take some power off of archers aswell.

I believe archer max arrows should be 30 rather than 40 if they nerf cav, but they would also need to buff one handed weapons because archers become useless when no more arrows.

How is bumpcoaching even a thing?

Is this even possible? Like how would you do this if the lance sticks out further than the horse. I can understand when bump hitting normal hits because the player is retracting the lance. But with couching this isnt the case. ????
It is done with pointing the lance upwards and pointing it down when you bump the dude so you hit him while he is falling

You don't necessarily have to point the lance up before the bump anymore in Bannerlord.

Imo this is another example of the wonky physics that I have noticed in single player as well. The infantry there died from a lance laterally touching their left cheek, I don't know how the devs can think that this is more realistic or makes more sense than Warband.

It's because horses always move you around regardless of a knockdown or not, regardless of on your team or not. In Warband a cav would either stun you and keep you in the same place, or knock you down but keep you in same place. In Bannerlord they can move you, knock you flying for 5m, drag you around with them, etc, making it all feel very unpredictable for everyone.

The infantry there died from a lance laterally touching their left cheek
I came across instances of that happening in Warband too. You could drag the point of the lance while attacking, similar to how a 2h sword could be used.

As a side note, I'm pretty sure that if you drag the point of the lance while hitting a stony surface in Bannerlord, the sound effect will be extended, as if it's scraping.

Cavalry "phasing" through players in Warband never looked realistic, although it was a touch of game logic you could roll along with easily enough, so long as you were bumped by the horse. Cavalry pushing and sliding players around on the ground in Bannerlord still looks unrealistic, although some might find it more convincing.

I'd have liked to have seen Warband's cavalry bumps improved by eliminating the lag that often came from them, and slightly decreasing the range at which you could be bumped by the horse, but keeping the "phasing" mechanic. I can imagine the unpredictability that comes from being pushed around by cavalry in Bannerlord will continue to feel weird and annoying more than the "phasing" in Warband ever did.

@OurGloriousLeader and @jon01 , right. Bannerlord's physics based system is probably more realistic than Warband's, but it feels weird (even if we neglect the extreme cases of horses sliding through infantry like jelly, to me fighting in Bannerlord just feels less natural than in Warband and I can't quit put my finger on why).

I find some interesting parallelism with what is known as Uncanny Valley in humanoid robots. The new system is closer to reality with the physics simulation, but not quite there yet, and because of that perhaps it feels weirder than the old system in Warband. I hope that they will be able to fine tune things to get it in a better shape over time.

I wonder if anyone's tested moving teammate infantry quickly across the map by angling two teammate cavalry in a way that would push and slide the infantry across the ground? It could be a good way of getting your infantry into strategic positions quickly, rather than letting them run by foot.

Back
Top Bottom