corona? :(

Users who are viewing this thread

I understand it as a comparison of the mass statue destruction in America to the Cultural Revolution in China and generally emphasis on Kulturkampf, as opposed to classic Marxism(-Leninism) which emphasizes ownership of means of production and claims that once those are seized by the working class, everything else will more or less spontaneously in place, so you don't have to worry or think about stuff too hard.

That... Seems like a bit of a stretch. Like I understand that the bar is lower for what is considered historical art in the US but the comparison between the ancient pieces of art that were destroyed in China and the statues that were toppled in the US seems a little far fetched. I would consider this closer to people destroying statues of Stalin in the ex Soviet Union myself. But yeah, that certainly has a scent of conspiracy theory.

Oof maddon'! With that sass, you better be realted to Vitruvius himself :razz:

How is calling self-described Marxists a certain type of Marxists in a color political commentary a conspirational stretch? And, if we're being so punctual, the vast majority of statues of Stalin were destroyed by communists themselves after the XX congress of the CPSU. And your analogy only goes to confirm that what they are seeking is a complete regime change...

Salbutamol for emergencies, which is called something else in the UK I was told. And for daily use something called Relvar Ellipta, smallest possible dose apparently.
We also call it salbutamol in the UK, that’s the drug name. Unless you mean ventolin which is a brand.

Relvar Ellipta contains two ingredients, a steroid and a drug of the same class as salbutamol but longer acting.

About statues being destroyed:

Cervantes himself being held as slave for 5 years (iirc).
So it's hard to tell how many of these toppled statues reflect knowledge of the people and a coherent policy.

" an elite-sponsored Maoist revolt " is the part that reminds me of conspiracy theories. Ah, yes, it's all a ploy from the high hierarchies of the secret communist party that is plotting to overthrow our great democracy. They have been sitting in the shadows for years, waiting for the right moment to strike Trump when he is at his weakest! #qanon and all that fun stuff.

self-described Marxists
this alone is already a massive reach. that applies to just a small fraction of the folks involved. essentialising the whole movement by it is frankly dumb.

and there you have the problem with the statement as a whole. bits and pieces of stuff cludged together from various factions and individuals who all deeply and fundamentally disagree with each other, being claimed as applying universally and used to ridicule an entire movement (which some of said factions oppose to begin with), with a nice dash of soros money, i mean, sorry, "elite-sponsored" conspiracy ****e to finish it off.

like literally every single thing about it is wrong.

except perhaps the dig at the new york times. :iamamoron:

but yeah. your choice of either "intentionally inflammatory troll who in reality knows better but is purposefully misrepresenting things" or "idiot that doesn't have the slightest understanding of what he's writing about".

Wow, I guess seeing Q-Anon and Soros conspirationists everywhere is the new Q-Anon and Soros conspiracy :razz:

Matt Taibi is a gonzo reporter/political satirist, who has worked for such alt-right platforms as Rolling Stone and MSNBC and whose podcast features notorious cryptofascists and dogwhistlers like Noam Chomsky, Glen Greenwald or Andrew Yang.

Gentlemen, please, unclench. It's ok to make fun of BLM too.

Well, I was not familiar with who this guy is myself, and it's not like people haven't said that and meant it :smile:. I guess that I took it seriously when I shouldn't have, touché. I am a big fan of satire whenever it is used to ridicule the people who are in a position of power. Not so much when it targets people who are in a position of weakness. But I guess that it is is his job to be highly inappropriate, he wouldn't do it right if he didn't shock people.

I do think that in general the situation is so polarized on everything at this point that it has become very difficult to talk about things constructively, and both parties are to blame for that. Trump was the obvious catalyst, but the Democrats fell for the trap of trying to do anything and everything that they could to make him fall. The New York Times, which used to be a seriously newspaper, has turned into propaganda that is probably not that much better than Fox News.

The same thing happened in Italy with Berlusconi. The outcome of that was that good ol' Silvio stayed in power for about ten years, so... Doesn't seem to work very well.

I suppose that this is more of a discussion for the "presidential election" thread though. Oh man, look at me going offtopic on the offtopic. But I guess that we've been going on a tangent for a while now.

There are some poor people out there who have sources telling them that its just a flu, that its fake, or that they can go out and work... :sad: poor souls

Back
Top Bottom