corona? :(

Users who are viewing this thread

I only just watched that video, it's amazing he was that misguided. "You'll be pleased to know I shook hands with everyone on the coronavirus ward (sic)". Erm, no Mr Johnson, we're rather surprised and worried actually! Obviously he was keen not to treat ill people like pariahs, but you would have thought he or at least one of his aides would engage both brain and mouth and express that the guidance not to shake hands is there for a reason, and doesn't become irrelevant just because you happen to be doing a PR thing.

Training for the Police at the moment, they haven't shut down the course despite half my class being knocked out with self-isolation
I'm suddenly not surprised that even high figures like your PM has the virus if that is the case. ?
Unless the course is being provided online of course. But I guess that is not the case?

I'm suddenly not surprised that even high figures like your PM has the virus if that is the case. ?
Unless the course is being provided online of course. But I guess that is not the case?

Nah, they're still making us travel into the training sites, just tell us to stay as far apart from each other as possible :lol:

Nah, they're still making us travel into the training sites, just tell us to stay as far apart from each other as possible :lol:
Christ, no wonder that half of your classmates are in self-isolation.. ?

If I fail to jump big enough to dodge a speeding truck, will it be death by traffic accident or death by arthritis?
Depends, if you by coincidence also happen to have the corona virus. It is death by corona...

First death in the city yesterday attributed to coronavirus. Man was 60, had received radiation therapy, chemotherapy and had part of a lung removed due to lung cancer, still they attribute his death to corona. :roll:
In Denmark it's officially like this:
The number of deaths includes deaths recorded within 30 days of COVID-19 infection detected. COVID-19 is not necessarily the root cause of death.

It can be very difficult to establish the root cause of death in people with many 'competing illnesses'. Always has been, by the way.
The man with lung cancer could have been pushed to his death from corona...

The evidence for moderate consumption of alcohol being good for your health is thin.
E.g. the research doesn't always take into account that alcoholics (and previous alcoholics) partake in the studies, but are notoriously secretive about their drinking habits.
And when it comes to a new virus, even talking about alcohol is silly. The research is theoretical and can't be used to say anything specific about whether it protects against a virus infection or not.
(That's how the silly idea of vitamin C consumption arose. Deficiency is bad for your immune system, but few people have that, and consumption during an illness, or the days leading up to it, doesn't do anything.)

Last edited:
New York state now has over 80,000 cases, and almost 2,000 dead. AFAIK most of the cases are in and around New York City, which sounds like it's getting hit pretty bad. I guess in some places in NYC, they're using refrigerated trucks to store the bodies in. A week or so ago, they were saying that the peak in New York might be in a week or two from then; now they're saying the number of cases might not peak until the end of the month. One prediction that the state government mentioned said that 16,000 people might die. I hope they're wrong. :ohdear:

It's going to be pretty bad everywhere, not just in New York. This thing is undoubtedly extremely virulent. And I don't think enough thought will be given to the fact that it may stick around, and we may be dealing with flare-ups for many months before we have a widespread, reliable vaccine. In other words, I'm worried about not one peak, but getting hit in waves-- many peaks that follow troughs where restrictions are lifted before being tightened down, then lifted and tightened down, and so on.

Then, factor in some natural disasters-- a few hurricanes and typhoons, earthquakes, tornados, a gnarly fire season, and we have a the makings for a biblical apocalypse. And there's nothing that says we can only be hit by one disease at a time. We could get another pandemic that would otherwise have been shut down but flourishes either locally or spreads globally because of the general overload of our health care systems. And this overload is ultimately caused by yes, a virulent disease, but a critical and fundamental lack of imagination.

We are in circumstances lead by a lot of leaders across the world who never believed in science, who have no imagination for either the scale of death and destruction nor the scale of what's needed to be a bulwark against it, and things look very bad, to put it mildly.

On a happier note, the next several months should be clarifying for a lot of us. What do we care about? We have we cared about all along? We may not have much time to figure it out. So maybe there is maybe a silver lining, albeit a very grim one. I've finally concluded music and art is super important, so that's what I'm here for these days.

The way Polish government claws at the options to prolong its mandate artificially, despite existing mechanics allowing them to postpone any elections until the crisis passes if they chose to use them, makes me worry that they expect a major ****storm that won't win them any favours. Already around 17% of confirmed cases in Poland is various medical personnel, which is quite upsetting.

"Erdoğan also announced that vehicles would no longer be able to leave or enter 31 provinces, excluding essential supplies, for 15 days. The cities include metropolis Istanbul and capital Ankara as well."

Back
Top Bottom