Copyright Issues

Users who are viewing this thread

KoKoUnlucky

Recruit
This thread is to solve my doubts about my mod.
So we are working on a total conversion mod, bringing the universe of Warcraft into M&B. Obviously, all Warcraft universe belongs to Blizzard.
my question is:
How can I use the universe of Warcraft in my mod without breaking any law?

We are making our custom models, and we are not taking any assets from any game. We only use the Lore and fictional names they created.
thank you!

Dont call it "warcraft", dont advertise it as being "Warcraft"...and do NOT try to make even one CENT off it.

Call it Warcraft or draw much attention to it, they could shut you down. Try to make money of fit, prepare for a lawsuit.

Upvote 0
Usually they can be pretty lenient with the names, but of course it depends on the developer and/or publisher in question. Just don't go advertising something ridiculous like "Warcraft 4", but you could probably get away with something like "Foobar - a Warcraft Mod".

So long as you are not using their assets(3d models, textures, etc), you shouldn't worry too much. Using character names and lore for inspiration is usually perfectly fine.

And don't worry about lawsuits, if you do end up doing something a publisher doesn't like - they will let you know or at most issue a cease and desist before anything else.

So have at it, have fun and show us your progress! :xf-grin:

Upvote 0
Well, if it is Blizzard that we are talking about they are pretty non-tolerant regarding their brands. They have closed down hundreds of Vanilla WoW servers in the past because they thought that it does not look good on their brand. After years later they opened their own Vanilla servers though, thats the irony...

Upvote 0
Well, if it is Blizzard that we are talking about they are pretty non-tolerant regarding their brands. They have closed down hundreds of Vanilla WoW servers in the past because they thought that it does not look good on their brand. After years later they opened their own Vanilla servers though, thats the irony...

That's a wee bit different, though. Private servers are a direct threat to their revenue, of course they'll take action. A mod for another game which is based on their intellectual property isn't gonna have any noticeable impact on their revenue.

Upvote 0
That's a wee bit different, though. Private servers are a direct threat to their revenue, of course they'll take action. A mod for another game which is based on their intellectual property isn't gonna have any noticeable impact on their revenue.
yeah, I would even say it enriches them.

We are not making any money from it, haven't even posted any patreon or paypal not even for donations.

Any way thank you for the advice,we will decide if we need to change the mod name Thank you all!

Upvote 0
Any way thank you for the advice,we will decide if we need to change the mod name Thank you all!

talk with a moderator from the modding section. Like Warband had rules about use of copyright rights, OSP, etc, Bannerlord will also have them. So open a discussion and see when/where it will be posted. They are the ones in contact with TW and can give you a better answer.

Upvote 0
Its really simple not to name your mod anything copyrighted. Blizzard has been actively going after copyright breeches since 2014. From those breaking the rules of their games to those making "photo's" or "videos" of their characters.

Its just plain not worth the risk when it can be avoided. Make your mod, just dont do anything stupid when you dont need to.

Upvote 0
are you speaking for TW ? Otherwise, you are just speaking of your experience with other games (including Warband) and opinion. If the OP wants to know how TW will handle this, he needs an answer from them.

The OP is asking about Taleworlds doing something, he is asking how to do it without breaking the LAW. Why did you even post that...not remotely helpful at all.

Upvote 0
do it without breaking the LAW.

first layer of law he needs to worry is TW. EULA if you go that far, or simple the rules of use of forum/etc if you want to be part of the community. They will define things like [we wash our hands, do whatever, but if someone complains your mod is removed from this forum, Steam Workshop, and any other service like Nexus] to [we dont allow mods that are based on any restrict copyright].

after that he can worry about copyright law and how far he wants to risk it. Your suggestion is: do this couple of things and they likely will not come after your mod, so it should be fine, maybe. Which is pretty much all we can say, as corporate can change their mind at any time (or when they change hands).

if OP is not worried about distribution or TW rules, then yes, he can ignore my post.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom