Copyright / commercial use of videos made with Bannerlord mods?

Users who are viewing this thread

A search didn't find any information about this, so I'm wondering what the legal issues are if we make cinematic videos using Bannerlord mods (either our own or someone else's)? Firstly, I assume we'd have copyright over the video? Secondly, is it legal to profit off such videos either via Youtube revenue or on Amazon Video Prime or similar?

I think you have a copyright on your work when the cinematic video is your own work and is not simply a cut together of Bannerlord or any other mod. Having copyright on something does however not mean that you are allowed to sell it since your creation is in the end just a derivative work basing on the copyrights of others.
Since I don't know the full ruleset at Bannerlord yet, @Dejan might give you a better answer.

Upvote 0
@AW111 any let's play or other videos being posted online and getting ad revenue by platforms such as YouTube and Twitch is allowed. Using game footage to create f.e. a prime video, charging anyone to watch it or otherwise sell it is not. Creating an ad using the game and selling it to agencies is likewise not allowed. In essence, everything except turning on the ads on various platforms isn't allowed.

Upvote 0
@AW111 any let's play or other videos being posted online and getting ad revenue by platforms such as YouTube and Twitch is allowed. Using game footage to create f.e. a prime video, charging anyone to watch it or otherwise sell it is not. Creating an ad using the game and selling it to agencies is likewise not allowed. In essence, everything except turning on the ads on various platforms isn't allowed.

Thank you for the explanation. I assume non-profit uses (e.g. history documentaries) would be permissible, and I assume the person making the video would still have copyright on the video?

Upvote 0
I assume non-profit uses (e.g. history documentaries) would be permissible,
In essence, everything except turning on the ads on various platforms isn't allowed.
Means non-profit is permissible
and I assume the person making the video would still have copyright on the video
I think you have a copyright on your work when the cinematic video is your own work and is not simply a cut together of Bannerlord or any other mod. Having copyright on something does however not mean that you are allowed to sell it since your creation is in the end just a derivative work basing on the copyrights of others.
Copyright is not something which TaleWorlds can give/deny to you, it's depending on the laws in your country and the international contracts it has signed.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom