Converting captured clan leaders

Users who are viewing this thread

viper713

Recruit
One of Genghis Khan's greatest strategies were to convert captured warlords into his own army. I think this may be a good addition if we can get access to additional conversation options when talking to a captured lord and attempt to persuade him/her to join your Kingdom. I find it very tedious to run around the map in search of enemy lords which I would like to recruit. When using the encyclopedia to see where the target resides at the time, and then getting there only to find he has teleported to another town or castle halve way across the map. But I've found that I encounter the lords which I have my eye on more regularly as part of an army, which also prevents recruitment. So I was thinking, why not give us the option to capture the lord and then give him a choice to either join us or stay locked up in one of my castles. I know that it would make the game a lot easier if we can just recruit every lord we conquer, but there can be higher bartering penalties involved with converting captured enemies.

I've been wanting this for ages. At least the ability to speak to prisoners in your party or dungeons and try to persuade them when they are right i front of you rather than having to release and chase them down.

One of Genghis Khan's greatest strategies were to convert captured warlords into his own army. I think this may be a good addition if we can get access to additional conversation options when talking to a captured lord and attempt to persuade him/her to join your Kingdom. I find it very tedious to run around the map in search of enemy lords which I would like to recruit. When using the encyclopedia to see where the target resides at the time, and then getting there only to find he has teleported to another town or castle halve way across the map. But I've found that I encounter the lords which I have my eye on more regularly as part of an army, which also prevents recruitment. So I was thinking, why not give us the option to capture the lord and then give him a choice to either join us or stay locked up in one of my castles. I know that it would make the game a lot easier if we can just recruit every lord we conquer, but there can be higher bartering penalties involved with converting captured enemies.
Yes great idea, but as you said, it should not be possible to recruit every lord you capture. A nice addition would be to let them go on the condition that they will not raid your villages for x amount of days.

This is a great idea.

I think there should be a bonus to your chance to convert under these conditions, since they are facing dungeon time or even possible execution, but if your relationship with the lord is very poor, such as that your relationship points are very far in the negatives, then there should be a high risk of them betraying you at some point in the future, perhaps there could be a hidden roll at that time that would have an RNG chance of setting up a mechanic where the converted lord is plotting against you and preparing to betray you in the future.

Perhaps a torture mechanic might be interesting for lords in dungeons, as a means of dishonorable coercion to concede to your demands.

Yes great idea, but as you said, it should not be possible to recruit every lord you capture. A nice addition would be to let them go on the condition that they will not raid your villages for x amount of days.
That X amount of days would be good. Perhaps not raid villages or towns for x days.

I agree that not every lord should be recruitable. If your relationship with them is far in the negatives then it should be very hard to recruit them, and if their honor is high, then it should also make it very hard to recruit them in those conditions, since they would be unlike to betray their current king.

Maybe there could also be a hostage exchange system for declaring peace, perhaps for a limited period of agreed upon time. Wherein negotiations you could offer a companion or family member in exchange for one of theirs, to ensure peace. Should the peace be broken, then hostages will be executed.

+1
I often chase a lord to recruit them, only to find them in an army and unwilling to discuss it. In such situations I've often wished I could defeat them in battle and then ask them to join me (like a 3rd option to "You're my prisoner", "You're free to go.")... rather than releasing them and waiting until they finish teleporting around and become available for conversing again. And hoping I can get to them before they join yet another army...

I agree, there is very little benefit from keeping captured enemy lords in towns/castles or dragging them with you around the whole map. The ransom money for a king being 4500 coins is laughable. I would suggest - after defieting them - give them the chance to join you (they could not leave your kingdom for at least 1 year). In case they end up in prison, lords from their clan can not attack your clan´s fiefs. This would give sense and value to having enemy lords locked up in prisons too. Btw... anyone knows, if a noble from my clan gets imprisoned, can I pay the ransom (how)? Once my brother got defieted, imprisoned, but he escaped after a while by himself...

I agree, there is very little benefit from keeping captured enemy lords in towns/castles or dragging them with you around the whole map. The ransom money for a king being 4500 coins is laughable. I would suggest - after defieting them - give them the chance to join you (they could not leave your kingdom for at least 1 year). In case they end up in prison, lords from their clan can not attack your clan´s fiefs. This would give sense and value to having enemy lords locked up in prisons too. Btw... anyone knows, if a noble from my clan gets imprisoned, can I pay the ransom (how)? Once my brother got defieted, imprisoned, but he escaped after a while by himself...
That manual ransom pay will sure be implemented in the future since the conversation with the ramsom broker indicates that. However, capturing lords has a huge benefit especially if they are good leaders. Their parties are considerably weaker with non warrior leaders. Also the war tribute goes to your favor and helps you to end a war. And donating them as prisoners to another lord of your faction also gives a good relationship bonus to that lord which also greatly lvls charm (~+120 relation if you donate an enemy ruler)

Still the argument in this thread is a good one since the player has to spend alot of time chasing lords he wants to recruit into his kingdom. 95% of their campaign time they are either in an army or captured. So you can't talk to them. I find that frustrating. Right now I do it like this: If the lord is imprisoned in one of my settlements I take him out and ride to his settlement. Two days before I arrive there I release him and wait infront of his settlement. You have to check alot if he is already healed and ready to talk to over the wall.

That manual ransom pay will sure be implemented in the future since the conversation with the ramsom broker indicates that. However, capturing lords has a huge benefit especially if they are good leaders. Their parties are considerably weaker with non warrior leaders. Also the war tribute goes to your favor and helps you to end a war. And donating them as prisoners to another lord of your faction also gives a good relationship bonus to that lord which also greatly lvls charm (~+120 relation if you donate an enemy ruler)

Still the argument in this thread is a good one since the player has to spend alot of time chasing lords he wants to recruit into his kingdom. 95% of their campaign time they are either in an army or captured. So you can't talk to them. I find that frustrating. Right now I do it like this: If the lord is imprisoned in one of my settlements I take him out and ride to his settlement. Two days before I arrive there I release him and wait infront of his settlement. You have to check alot if he is already healed and ready to talk to over the wall.
I agree, that the biggest benefit of having enemy lords locked up is to stop them from leading parties/armies, especially to stop them from raiding villages. But war tribute is wrong also. Battania started a war vs. Sturgia (where I am vassal) after losing the previous, not so distant war, and managed to raid 3 villages, while we took 1 town, 3 castles and imprisoned 3 of their lords. Battania (with no fiefs left at all, their king locked up in my town) killed more people (probably civilians from villages). To end the war terms were: Sturgia should pay 600 coins/day to Battania. Nonsense...

Thnx for the tip how to get enemy lords that you want to join your kingdom to talk to you. Not easy at all atm. Anyone knows, if in such case, lords demand during barter (1.) more in war then during peace (2.) more if they still have fiefs which they lose anyway in case they decide to join your kingdom?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom