Contest for game development: "Master of polygon and texel"

Users who are viewing this thread

Website the «Riders of Calradia» and the «Guild of mode developers of the Riders of Calradia invites» you to participate in the Сontest for game development.
Below you can see two main topics of the contest: link to the russian website and text translation in this topic:
Section of topic:

Main topic of the contest and it's rules: http://rusmnb.ru/index.php?board=230.0

Master of polygon and texel

Master of polygon and texel - Contest in 3D/2D graphics, which prioirity is to popularize those trends in the community of Mount&Blade, knowledge exchange, ability to show your talents and skills, to declare about yourself, to receive a constructive evaluation of your work from the professionals. . In the course of the contest all participants will receive constructive criticism and advices while demonstrating  their work, which will enhance the skills of participants and give the opportunity to avoid mistakes in the future.
The contest is held in two directions: Creating of two full models for game(mesh and texture) and 2D retexturing of specific model from the Native module.

Rules for applying to the contest:

Applications will be accepted in the form of created topics for each contestant  in a given section, in which in the first post must be an application of the next form:

Name of the topic must contain - "type of contest or contests" and the nickname of contestant:
Code:
[3D;2D] Nickname

First post in topic:
Code:
 Name(nickname): 
 Contest direction
 Approximate description of what you will be doing and it’s recommended to have approximate reference.
 Software and technique that will be used
 For participants in  2D contest chosed model bust be specified

In those topics participants will post their work as they create them to discuss current results and receive feedback from other users.  Editing the first post with posting the final work will be the result (conditions are listed below). In this topic in the second message will be a complete list of participants with links oh their.

Application deadline 20 days, on the last day I will personally notify all that applied.

Terms of 3D contest:

For this contest 2 works must be done:
1. Helmet ( any headdress )
1. 2000 triangles
2. Texture resolution 1024х1024 px
3. 3 textures maps: color map, normal map, specular map. Usage of alpha channel is allowed
4. On any subject you want.
5. Model must match to the game standards, that means it must fit to the default game head. Something that can’t be seen in the game no matter what angle won’t be considered as  lack, but if it will be done efficiently there, will be counted as a small plus.
6. As for the game in the vast majority the photorealism technique is used, then this standard must be applied to the model too.
7. Model must be done with all reallife elements,  that means  hooks, eyelets, rivets, seams .... Explanations like "well if to imagine like they like and by they I mean eyelets didn’t grind and it means like they really did" won’t be considered, also messages like ”glued on glue of metal" will be considered as flaw.
8. All valuable stages of creating process must be shown as screenshots and commented a little.

2. Any melee weapon(axe, sword, knife, mace...):
1. 500 triangles
2. Texture resolution 512х512 px
3. All other requirements are as for helmet.

Judgment parameters in 3D contest:
Main judge Furok
In making the final result things that will be taken account:
1. Polygonal grid 25 points
Correct topology, integrity, existence of hidden defects, rational usage of polygons.
2. Overall look of the model 10 points
Overall concept and idea, originality of perfomance, reallife component(described earlier.
3. Texturing 35 points
4. UV 10 points
Technical quality, rational usage of space.
5. Community vote 20 балов
I place in vote 10points, II 7 points,  III 5 points.(for each model)

Time for creating(helmet, weapon) 30 days

Terms of 2D contest (retexturing):

1. Participants must retexture the same model(armor). There will be 2 meshes to choose from. full_plate_armor and cuir_bouilli_a.
2.  Editing UV and initial mesh is forbidden.
3. Allowed to temporarily increase the polygonal mesh for making Map
4. 3 texure maps: color map, normal map, specular map. Usage of alpha channel is allowed
5. Model must be done with all reallife elements,  that means  hooks, eyelets, rivets, seams .... Explanations like "well if to imagine like they like and by they I mean eyelets didn’t grind and it means like they really did" won’t be considered, also messages like ”glued on glue of metal" will be considered as flaw.
6. All valuable stages of creating process must be shown as screenshots and commented a little.

Judgment parameters in 2D contest (retexturing):
Main refereeFurok
In making the final result things that will be taken account:
1. Overall look of the model 20 points
Overall concept and idea, originality of perfomance, reallife component(described earlier. But keep in mind that this is retexturing.
2. Correct performance relatively to the model 20 points
Accounting for motion dynamics and initial mesh when picking materials and elements of texturing
3. Technical work quality(textures) 50 points
Map projection from high poly geometry will be taken into account higher.
4. Community vote 10 points
I place in vote 10points, II 7 points,  III 5 points

Time for creating 15 days

General rules and clarifications:

Basing on maximum of these point the final result will be concluded. Keep in mind that errors and omissions are in the discretion of the judge.
Keep in mind that judge determines the dominant number of points. So the overall quality and technical performance will be taken into account. So even a simple axe can win, rather then fine poleaxe with a lot of stuff..
When you post your work as you create it you can receive advices and recommendations, and also someone can point out your errors to you. But the corrected thus errors will be taken into account when judging.
All works must be posted for viewing http://p3d.in Setting the values on more than one is forbidden, no more then 3 maps listed above
Except this all the recources must be uploaded on the file sharing website and sent to the judge.
Any participant can participate in each contest.
Evaluation term and audience voting will be 10 days after contest
All works in the future will be included into the OSP pack and posted for public use.

Prizes:

First place in 3D contest – Licensed version (not commercial)  3D-Coat

First place in 2D contest (retexturing) - Licensed version (not commercial) nDo2 

Attention people!!!

There will be audience voting, you can vote for works that you liked and also encourage the professionals by donating. “People’s choice award” will consist from the collected money. Don’t forget that after the contest you can see all the models in the game.
Details for donations are listed in this topic http://rusmnb.ru/index.php?topic=17812.new#new , where in the future will be vote and contest discussion. Don’t forget to inform us that you sent money, this can stimulate other people to do the same))

Topic for collecting the prize of people’s choice: http://rusmnb.ru/index.php?topic=17812.0

Community vote.

This topic is created for community vote after ending of the contest. Collected money will be the prize. Don’t forget that except the look of the work you can download them in the future and paste them in your favorite game.

Collecting the prize:

Numbers of accounts for prize collection:

WebMoney:
Russian ruble - WMR (R371060577549)
UAH - WMU (U109511912776)
Dollar - WMZ (Z323806666079)
Euro - WME (E170926110046)

Yandex money: 410011607489799

PayPal: [email protected]

Counter of the collected money  = 1500 rubles

Furok - 500 rubles
HunterWolf - 500 rubles + Prizes on main contests 90 euros
LegionaireR - 80 UAH + Prizes on main contests 90 euros
somlich - 500 rubles

With respect Chief of the «Guild of mode developers»: HunterWolf

Is this a funny way for you to get free original models and earn money at the same time?

Counter of the collected money  = 1000 rubles

Furok - 500 rubles

MadVader said:
Is this a funny way for you to get free original models and earn money at the same time?

Furok - 500 rubles

No, it's a way to show that we do not do it for money, but for the sake of modding. We ourselves are involved and give the money to the event. Because if we do not, then no one will

Hunterwolf said:
MadVader said:

Furok - 500 rubles

No, it's a way to show that we do not do it for money, but for the sake of modding. We ourselves are involved and give the money to the event. Because if we do not, then no one will
Ah, I apologize, that's quite different. Maybe you could spell out more clearly who gets what, by getting an English speaker to go over the announcement text.

I'm also sorry, I did not understand. "Audience Choice Award" where participants will choose the audience, not a judge. The participant chooses which judge will be awarded in the form of licensed programs. However, if the choice of the audience and judges will coincide, the participant should receive the money collected and the audience prize in the form of programs. I hope now I correctly answered?

@MadVader,

This competition, the official competition of Russian-speaking community games Mount&Blade.
Nobody wants your couple of bucks (or euros).
There are official prizes.

Well, on this forum there is no one who summoned the courage to take part in the competition... :mrgreen:

Is it somewhere in the conditions of competition, there is a rule that the application form has to be in Russian? Please create a topic and write in English, or who do not mind that. And the rules of the competition and all the refinements necessary I translated into English

Maybe people here don't speak Russian very well, that's also a possibility. You should do everything in English if you want a wide audience.
The main problem - laziness. None of the organizers of the competition, does not speak in English. If you have the desire, perhaps, to use the Google translator.
You can fill out a membership card and the English language.
By creating a theme, we thought it might be, will interest fans of the game and are able to work with 3D and 2D in this forum.

It is unfortunate that the same competition was not on this forum.
It is a pity that there is no interest to anyone .. On TW, there are talented people, and it would be interesting to watch this battle masters, if there were more participants.

I think the reason people are not joining the contest from here is because the translations are hard to understand completely. It is nobodies fault, different languages have different grammar structure, and some do not have as many words as others causing conflict in translation programs. The only way to get around this is to be extremely selective with words, and that can become a hassle. Just as an example, translate something from russian to english, then copy the english, and re-translate it from english to russian. Chances are it will be different then what you originally wrote.

Or find a Russian with good English skills to translate. Much easier and better then DIY.
If you expect to attract professional work you need to make a professional presentation.
Remember, it's YOU who are looking for people, not the other way around.

We have given you all the information and the rest is all the excuses that would not participate or simply twaddle, we are not looking for professionals, we do not need. Competition for all, the main thing is not the prize, and the main participation, dialogue and experience

Nobody is making excuses, or twaddling, they either don't care, or don't want the fuss of complicated communication, it's just how it is. My assumption is the communication issues, because let's face it, who turns down a chance to make free money, especially when the type of work for the required entries would take even a fairly new designer 2 days to complete. I can tell you this much though, with the way you're throwing assumptions out about people who may have read this thread and not entered is making you sound ignorant. Perhaps it's a translation flaw, maybe it's just how I perceived it, I don't know, but it'll likely reduce the odds of people joining even more now if they interpret it like I did. Anyway, best of luck with your contest.

Practice shows that language is not a problem. People play сhinese modes just because they are interesting to them. Those who want to participate in this event, do not need a professional presentation. It is necessary for those who like to write on the forums (at russian we call them "balabol").

I don`t want to say that the text shouldn`t be unreadable. Just more important to understand what this post... and not what level of language proficiency of the author.

As owner of the rusmnb.ru I confirm that this person is not going to steal money. Fundraiser - it's just an additional way to reward authors.

Hunterwolf said:
We have given you all the information and the rest is all the excuses that would not participate or simply twaddle, we are not looking for professionals, we do not need. Competition for all, the main thing is not the prize, and the main participation, dialogue and experience

Thing is, your presentation was quite horrendous. So no one is interested in what appears to be a very amateurish competition.

Hunterwolf said:
Basing on maximum of these point the final result will be concluded. Keep in mind that errors and omissions are in the discretion of the judge.

I mean, what does that even mean?

Vanok said:
Practice shows that language is not a problem. People play сhinese modes just because they are interesting to them.
I don't think anyone would play Chinese mods if they are not translated to English.
Vanok said:
Those who want to participate in this event, do not need a professional presentation. It is necessary for those who like to write on the forums (at russian we call them "balabol").
Bad presentation = bad image. You know how marketing works, and this is marketing.
"Balabol" means "bull****ter" according to Urban Dict. I don't understand - are you calling forumites bull****ters? Which ones? "Those who like to write"? That would be most of us.
That's why good English skills are very important on an international forum, to avoid misunderstandings (which I hope that was).
It's not hard to find a Russian with a good command of English, and there's no reason not to find one to translate.

MadVader, but they play! =)

Bull****ter is very vulgar translation. I can`t find an exact synonym of this word in the english language, but we now looking like "balabols". In any case, your wish is taken into account and the text will be rework.

I believe blobmania started a competition like this about a year ago, it only lasted a few weeks due to a lack of participants  :sad:

Hunterwolf said:
Competition for all, the main thing is not the prize, and the main participation, dialogue and experience
Its clear from this thread that dialogue between competitors is going to be pretty hard due to the language barrier, this also means that it is going to be hard to offer constructive criticisms and critique when there are people speaking different languages. Dont get me wrong I do think this is a good idea - I just cant see it working sadly

Back
Top Bottom