Consider: Post Release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Niroc

Recruit
So first hi all, new to the forums. Second and more primarily. I have been reading a lot about how features X Y or Z are not implemented/not planned to be implemented at this time. So question then, has anyone considered the idea that maybe TW are going the route of Paradox (hopefully without the DLC spam) and plan on making a relatively bare minimum initial release in terms of content to then be built upon post launch(Post EA) with more of the features that made the previous titles so good? I am aware it has been ten years of development plus one year in EA so I understand the thin patience. Regardless I thought I would put up a question no one else seems to be asking.

well, from what they have said so far, there seems to be no indication of an approach like that.

It would also be something very different from their usual way of doing things.

My honest opinion is that the game lacks features because of 2 things:

1) They wanted to make a visually impressive but simplified Mound and Blade game for the console market.

2) They massively underestimated the time needed to complete the game - OR - they've had internal problems and have 'reset' their development goals along the way.......a couple of times at least.

Last edited:
1) They wanted to make a visually impressive but simplified Mound and Blade game for the console market.
This is absolutely ?. In fact, Armagan let this little piece of information slip in an interview back in 2015/2016. It was translated from Turkish and he said something like: "Bannerlord is being designed with consoles is mind." This caused a minor stir with some in the community who got wind of this, but was quickly stamped out by others saying that it was a "translation error." About half a decade later we see comments from devs and community managers responding to overwhelmingly popular player suggestions with: "too complicated" and the appearance of a radial command wheel that would work perfectly on PS and XBox but is cumbersome on PC...
considered the idea that maybe TW are going the route of Paradox (hopefully without the DLC spam) and plan on making a relatively bare minimum initial release in terms of content to then be built upon post launch(Post EA) with more of the features that made the previous titles so good? I am aware it has been ten years of development plus one year in EA so I understand the thin patience. Regardless I thought I would put up a question no one else seems to be asking.
If only this were so! Armagan said, prior to EA release, that the game is essentially complete and the EA process is mainly for player feedback and debugging very obscure bugs that the TW team cannot find due to their relatively small numbers... Yeah..... The game is what it is and to expect drastic changes post launch that do not come from mods... Would be... Optimistic to put it nicely...

This is absolutely ?. In fact, Armagan let this little piece of information slip in an interview back in 2015/2016. It was translated from Turkish and he said something like: "Bannerlord is being designed with consoles is mind." This caused a minor stir with some in the community who got wind of this, but was quickly stamped out by others saying that it was a "translation error." About half a decade later we see comments from devs and community managers responding to overwhelmingly popular player suggestions with: "too complicated" and the appearance of a radial command wheel that would work perfectly on PS and XBox but is cumbersome on PC...

If only this were so! Armagan said, prior to EA release, that the game is essentially complete and the EA process is mainly for player feedback and debugging very obscure bugs that the TW team cannot find due to their relatively small numbers... Yeah..... The game is what it is and to expect drastic changes post launch that do not come from mods... Would be... Optimistic to put it nicely...

??? sad but true.

??? sad but true.
giphy.gif

Wait.... but I bought this PC just for Bannerlord.... :xf-cry:
As soon as they opened beta applications I bought the best thing I could (not much) that met the steam requirements, I didn't even have it yet when I filled out the application.

If only this were so! Armagan said, prior to EA release, that the game is essentially complete and the EA process is mainly for player feedback and debugging very obscure bugs that the TW team cannot find due to their relatively small numbers...
He definitely didn't say that prior to EA release:
He was careful to emphasize that the early access version of the game, and the build players are seeing on the floor at Gamescom, are a long way off from a finished build.

"This is not going to be the kind of game where early access is…" Yavuz said, trailing off and reconsidering his words. "It's at a very rudimentary stage."
That was my impression going into EA, that it was going to be really rough and feature incomplete.

Oh, He didn't???

Take a look at this:
Interview/gameplay from Gamescom 2019

The video begins in German but they start speaking in English Soon after. Start the video at 2:00 - here Armagan says: "[The game] will be very playable and pretty much everything will be working."

Armagan later says: "We thought that the game is so complex that it would be better if we get feedback from players because it's an open ended game[...] We'll need feedback from players to make sure everything's balanced and everything's working [...] but the content will be there."

Yeah I like it, I just don't want to have to buy a ps5or ps6 to play the most refined definitive version ?
giphy.gif

Not a worry to worry about. The PC version will always be king by virtue of mods if nothing else, but I highly doubt the state of the console port is going to be better than the PC version. The overall "vision" of the PC version being simplified to be more easily ported to console however...

That was my impression going into EA, that it was going to be really rough and feature incomplete.
@Apocal here's another interview where Armagan, justifying full price for the EA version, says that the game is a very, featured game full of features.

Obviously, conflicting statements were made. The words that were said and the videos that were shown by TW before EA suggested something different than what was delivered.

Neither of those are "the game is complete."
Not complete... "Essentially" complete (I invite you to look up the word essentially). Very feature filled - filled with enough features to warrant full price at EA. Enough content to engage for 100's of hours... The content will be there... Let's not be disingenuous here - these words imply that the game was in a different state than what it was and is. These statements also suggest (rather strongly) that large, drastic changes are not likely.

These statements also suggest (rather strongly) that large, drastic changes are not likely.
How many new features did they add? How many big changes have their been?

Like, four by my count (kingdom management, storyline, perks-ish and rebellions) for the first and no big changes to the core loop of fight->upgrade->exploit that every M&B title relies on.

Like, four by my count (kingdom management, storyline, perks-ish and rebellions) for the first and no big changes to the core loop of fight->upgrade->exploit that every M&B title relies on.
And how many did they cut that were promised pre-release?

Console market is legit and lucrative, but we can take Skyrim as example, with mods we, the PC players, forgot that this game was made for consoles too. The mods are going to be everything.

giphy.gif

If you think that their additions to the "storyline"; adding more perks; the so called rebellions and the improvements to kingdom "management" are drastic changes then we will have to agree to disagree.

I started playing this game at 10AM on the day it released and the game is "essentially" the same game now that it was over a year ago in my opinion. I'm still waiting for that day when my soldiers can actually climb siege towers and find their way through the main gates - they still tend to get lost, or cold feet... or just refuse to go in... I don't know.

You're also neglecting / glossing over / not responding to the assertions that the head honcho made about the game being... and I quote: "very playable and pretty much everything will be working." He said this at the Gamescom when EA was announced. This was and STILL IS NOT true...

I'm not trying to be a hater, I love this franchise... But I think honesty, accountability, and honor are important and to say that drastic changes to this game have been made, or to tacitly suggest that some large meaningful changes may be on the horizon when sieges still do not function properly is just...

giphy.gif

If you think that their additions to the "storyline"; adding more perks; the so called rebellions and the improvements to kingdom "management" are drastic changes then we will have to agree to disagree.
I didn't say they were drastic changes? It's been really clear they weren't going to drastically change anything for awhile now, even before release. They are added features, though.
You're also neglecting / glossing over / not responding to the assertions that the head honcho made about the game being... and I quote: "very playable and pretty much everything will be working." He said this at the Gamescom when EA was announced. This was and STILL IS NOT true...
Because at the very same Gamescom he said things were going to be rudimentary and not like a normal EA. I found it playable on release; it didn't crash that much. Saying that stuff was working is a bit :unsure: but I expect game companies to lie about features all the time.
But I think honesty, accountability, and honor are important and to say that drastic changes to this game have been made, or to tacitly suggest that some large meaningful changes may be on the horizon when sieges still do not function properly is just...
I've never thought there were going to be drastic changes made. I don't even really expect them to fix sieges.

I didn't say they were drastic changes? It's been really clear they weren't going to drastically change anything for awhile now, even before release. They are added features, though.

Because at the very same Gamescom he said things were going to be rudimentary and not like a normal EA. I found it playable on release; it didn't crash that much. Saying that stuff was working is a bit :unsure: but I expect game companies to lie about features all the time.

I've never thought there were going to be drastic changes made. I don't even really expect them to fix sieges.
giphy.gif

Like, four by my count
You said Armagan didn't say what he definitely did say (more than once). You called those changes big (big/drastic/meaningful are all similar in this regard, in this particular context). You said the game is not complete yet you don't expect "drastic" changes or for them to even fix what's not working properly....

Sooooo..... What are you saying exactly? What's your contention because I don't know what you're trying to convey. You're statements seem to be rather contradictory - I usually take that as a sign of someone not being entirely honest. ?

Let the hate flow through you.
giphy.gif

Console market is legit and lucrative, but we can take Skyrim as example, with mods we, the PC players, forgot that this game was made for consoles too. The mods are going to be everything.
giphy.gif

Absolutely! Spoken like a true Son of Soon! All those who lament forget that even when Bannerlord is completed by TW - the game will just be getting started. There really isn't anything to fear... For the SP crowd that is.

Back
Top Bottom