SP - Player, NPCs & Troops [ Conquered people are recruited as 'Auxilia' ]

Users who are viewing this thread

So, this idea just popped into my mind. You know how inevitably a faction will mostly conquer another? Well, what if territories that are conquered by a different culture, have converted troops to that culture.

Example: Vlandia takes over a bunch of Battanian villages, and troops then recruited from those villages are no longer regular 'battanian' units, but instead are made an auxilia of sorts (battanian troops that are somewhat converted in terms of some of their equipment to that of the conquering faction), so as to better fit in the conquerors order of battle.

I guess this came about when considering that fighting against factions that have taken over other territories, well, it seemed to take away from their cultural identity.

You battle a Vlandian Lord, but his troops are 90% Sturgian with the rest being mercenary units, or a complete mix. It detracts from some of the uniqueness, I guess, and I am suggesting this as a way to address it through [ partially converted troops ].

This can also represent as another point of 'cultural tension' (being forced to change the ways of your warriors by a foreign conquering power), with perhaps some security value complications depending on the composition of the local garrison (proportion of locally recruited and trained 'Auxilia' to Vlandian regular troops).

It´s alot of new troop-trees you are suggesting, namely 5 for each culture in the game :smile: I mean, Battania can be counquered by any of the other cultures and I guess all of them need their own unique auxilia units.

I´m all for something along this lines though! :smile:

This can also represent as another point of 'cultural tension' (being forced to change the ways of your warriors by a foreign conquering power), with perhaps some security value complications depending on the composition of the local garrison (proportion of locally recruited and trained 'Auxilia' to Vlandian regular troops).

Hmm.. My view is that historically, territories conquered by Rome were denied citizen-ship but fighting in the Auxilia were a way to gain citizen-ship for you and your familly. The auxilia idea was more than a manpower-thing, it was also a counter-rebel thing. in the eyes of the independence movement, the auxilia was likely opportunistic treators. The auxilia often served in foreign territories.

Implemting this is not impossible, I picture something like when you conquer foreign territories and are at peace, a policy vote is triggered automatically. Tex "Battanian Auxilia". a "No" is AS IS. If it´s implemented, it compleatly disallows recruitment of native troops for lords of Vlandia in battanian villages. Battanian cities provides low quantity of Vlandian troops. However, in non-battanian fiefs held by Vlandia, Vlandia-Battanian auxilia can be recruited. Battanian fiefs[held by Vlandia] militia-growth is also reduced and security/loyalty is slightly increased. Having one such Auxilia is quite bad as it´s very hard to defend their area. But once you have 2, you can recruit the other Auxilia- unit. Having several such auxilia could make homeland recuitment rather insane, which it was in Rome! Though Low-tier auxilia is crap, having too much of it can backfire.

I think Auxilia should have T2-T4(like all trees but regulars and nobles). T2-T3 is on par with militia and T4 is on par with Mercenary.

I think it would be very hard to something like this and something like suggested by OP should likely serve well :smile:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom